Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Misdiagnosed SBS

Posted In: Brain conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 6, 2006
  • 11:24 PM

I have a question and if anyone know the answer please tell me. ok, heres the story....My 3 month old daughter was at daycare when they called me and said something was wrong, she was not eating, projectile vomiting, lethargic, and had a catlike cry. I took her immediatly to the doctor(which by the way she was no longer making the catlike cry by the time we got there) and he looked at her a few minutes and diagnosed her with the stomach virus that was going around at the time. He sent me home with instructions to give her only pedialyte for the next 2 days or so. I did and she got better enough to take back to daycare. The night before she sleep fine and the next morning she ate really good before I dropped her off. She was also smiling alot and "talking". She was fine. I get back home and the daycare calls me about 45minutes to an hour later and says once again, "I can't do this something is wrong". I go to pick her up and it's the same thing. She is lethargic, vomiting, and once again had the catlike cry. I rushed to the doctor again and by the time I got there(in about 10-15min)around her mouth was turning blue and her her eyes were rolling back in her head. The doctor saw her for a few minutes again and took her sugar level and it was around or over 300. She was also having seizures. He told me to go to the local hospital with instuctions not wait in the waiting room, no vitals taken until she had an I.V. with fluids. Well were made to wait in that stupid hospital for about 25 minutes, finally go to the room and they start taking the vitals b/c apparently they didn't have that certain I.V.(eventually she was given them after several attempts at the i.v. line) She was given a CT scan and it was normal. The doctor called and said he was really concerned about her sugar level and wanted her airlifted to Vanderbuilt. On the ride there they gave her fluids and and her color got normal and her sugar dropped. She was given another CT scan late that nite or maybe the next morning and it showed retinal hemmoraging, swelling and bleeding on the brain, and was then diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome. She is now 7 months old and doing Exceptionaly Great!! Doctors have said it's amazing that for someone to have had SBS she is doing so great. She is pretty much normal. There are a couple milestones she has not reached yet, but All babies do not reach them at the same time. So, now to summarize it all, can menningitis or possibly something else, have caused her symptoms and make it look like SBS if gone untreated or unnoticed????? I'm sorry for the long story but can someone please help???? Melissa&Sam

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement