Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Misdiagnosed SBS

Posted In: Brain conditions 13 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 6, 2006
  • 11:24 PM

I have a question and if anyone know the answer please tell me. ok, heres the story....My 3 month old daughter was at daycare when they called me and said something was wrong, she was not eating, projectile vomiting, lethargic, and had a catlike cry. I took her immediatly to the doctor(which by the way she was no longer making the catlike cry by the time we got there) and he looked at her a few minutes and diagnosed her with the stomach virus that was going around at the time. He sent me home with instructions to give her only pedialyte for the next 2 days or so. I did and she got better enough to take back to daycare. The night before she sleep fine and the next morning she ate really good before I dropped her off. She was also smiling alot and "talking". She was fine. I get back home and the daycare calls me about 45minutes to an hour later and says once again, "I can't do this something is wrong". I go to pick her up and it's the same thing. She is lethargic, vomiting, and once again had the catlike cry. I rushed to the doctor again and by the time I got there(in about 10-15min)around her mouth was turning blue and her her eyes were rolling back in her head. The doctor saw her for a few minutes again and took her sugar level and it was around or over 300. She was also having seizures. He told me to go to the local hospital with instuctions not wait in the waiting room, no vitals taken until she had an I.V. with fluids. Well were made to wait in that stupid hospital for about 25 minutes, finally go to the room and they start taking the vitals b/c apparently they didn't have that certain I.V.(eventually she was given them after several attempts at the i.v. line) She was given a CT scan and it was normal. The doctor called and said he was really concerned about her sugar level and wanted her airlifted to Vanderbuilt. On the ride there they gave her fluids and and her color got normal and her sugar dropped. She was given another CT scan late that nite or maybe the next morning and it showed retinal hemmoraging, swelling and bleeding on the brain, and was then diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome. She is now 7 months old and doing Exceptionaly Great!! Doctors have said it's amazing that for someone to have had SBS she is doing so great. She is pretty much normal. There are a couple milestones she has not reached yet, but All babies do not reach them at the same time. So, now to summarize it all, can menningitis or possibly something else, have caused her symptoms and make it look like SBS if gone untreated or unnoticed????? I'm sorry for the long story but can someone please help???? Melissa&Sam

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• Were you able to find a solution to your child's issue?
    ducatidesmo 1 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 09:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter had similar symptoms, but I know it was not SBS because I was always home taking care of her. She had a stroke in utero, but was happy, alert, and smart. She had random spurts of intractable vomiting that was misdiagnosed as a virus. I was persistent in telling the doctor that I didn't believe it to be a virus, but rather a neurological problem. I was right. My daughter's brain stem shut down and she passed away. Now they believe she may have had a stroke. Something happened to her brainstem, but nobody really knows what. I don't want to alarm you, but it is very serious when a child has the type of vomiting you describe and it needs to be investigated. If you feel like something is wrong, demand an explanation.I hope your daughter is doing better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2006
    • 06:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I have no experience or story to post, however I did just read a post under the section for misdiagnosis stories. One post was from a mother who had a 6 month old child who died from meningitis, although the doctor first diagnosed it as shaken baby syndrome. She has only now recieved the report saying it was meningitis, so yes, as far as I can tell, it is possible your child has had meningitis rather than SBS.Hope all goes well from here on - I agree with getting a second opinion and fighting for what you want to know.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 05:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a question and if anyone know the answer please tell me. ok, heres the story....My 3 month old daughter was at daycare when they called me and said something was wrong, she was not eating, projectile vomiting, lethargic, and had a catlike cry. I took her immediatly to the doctor(which by the way she was no longer making the catlike cry by the time we got there) and he looked at her a few minutes and diagnosed her with the stomach virus that was going around at the time. He sent me home with instructions to give her only pedialyte for the next 2 days or so. I did and she got better enough to take back to daycare. The night before she sleep fine and the next morning she ate really good before I dropped her off. She was also smiling alot and "talking". She was fine. I get back home and the daycare calls me about 45minutes to an hour later and says once again, "I can't do this something is wrong". I go to pick her up and it's the same thing. She is lethargic, vomiting, and once again had the catlike cry. I rushed to the doctor again and by the time I got there(in about 10-15min)around her mouth was turning blue and her her eyes were rolling back in her head. The doctor saw her for a few minutes again and took her sugar level and it was around or over 300. She was also having seizures. He told me to go to the local hospital with instuctions not wait in the waiting room, no vitals taken until she had an I.V. with fluids. Well were made to wait in that stupid hospital for about 25 minutes, finally go to the room and they start taking the vitals b/c apparently they didn't have that certain I.V.(eventually she was given them after several attempts at the i.v. line) She was given a CT scan and it was normal. The doctor called and said he was really concerned about her sugar level and wanted her airlifted to Vanderbuilt. On the ride there they gave her fluids and and her color got normal and her sugar dropped. She was given another CT scan late that nite or maybe the next morning and it showed retinal hemmoraging, swelling and bleeding on the brain, and was then diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome. She is now 7 months old and doing Exceptionaly Great!! Doctors have said it's amazing that for someone to have had SBS she is doing so great. She is pretty much normal. There are a couple milestones she has not reached yet, but All babies do not reach them at the same time. So, now to summarize it all, can menningitis or possibly something else, have caused her symptoms and make it look like SBS if gone untreated or unnoticed????? I'm sorry for the long story but can someone please help???? Melissa&SamVaccines contain enough mercury to turn on the inflammatory brain responses in the brain. Perhaps there was no virus- she never had a fever right? Perhaps something else triggered her immune system to go out of whack like that. It is hard to tell.Very sorry about this whole situation.Best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 06:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I am going through the same situation you guys did. My daughter had all the same side effects last week then on saturday the had a seizure and has been in ICU for over a week. She is doing better now day by day but the still are saying SBS which cant be true!! How did you go about proving your case to the doctors and police?? We had our beautiful daughter all day saturday and the doctors keep saying the injuries happened 1 to 3 hours sometime that day before her seizure. They havent even began to look into over forms of comlications nor has the police questioned the baby sitter still its all completely a huge clusterf*** with the finger pointed at us. Melissa or Sam I hope you get this message so you could possibly tell us some insight since you have been through this horrible situation!! you can reply here or at tomyhi02@yahoo.com Thank You,Eric
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My boyfriend, was accused of killing Alyssa Logue in 2006. Alyssa has blisters had formed on the bottom of the feet and one that formed on the top of head. She was taken to Dayton children's hospital on October 20 where she was admitted for two days for observation. She was seen by a dermatologist who said the the blisters were not burns. The doctors released her on the 22 and they diagnosed her with blisters on the feet, as infectious blisters and one on her head as ring worm. Let me tell you that blisters showed up at the same time and they were perfectly symmetrical. They did not bother her. She didn't have a fever or no vomiting. She was acting fine when she returned home. On October 23 she was fine for majority of the day and later in the evening she started vomiting and running a fever that got as high as 102.5. On October 24 when she was in the care in of my boyfriend, she took two juice bottles and vomited 2 more times. She and my boyfriend lay down in recliner and they both fell asleep. An hour later he awakes and Alyssa was still asleep in his arms so he gets up and puts her in her crib. The paternal grandmother shows up and Alyssa was asleep in her crib she even stirred in her sleep. Then around 1:15 the mother comes homes and finds her unresponsive. They air cared her to Cincinnati Children's Hospital where she went in for an emergency CT scan where they found a subdural hematoma and retinal hemorrhage. Alyssa suffered a right to left brain shift. She had no skull fracture or any other signs of abuse. She died on October 26, 2006 There was a note in the medical reports from Dayton Childrens about a contusion her forehead as well as on the EMT report. It also said that she had good color when the EMT picked her up. Cincinnati has Shrinners burn insitute looked at the blisters and they claimed that are consisted to be with burns. So no one really knows what the blisters where. They also claimed that she died from Shaken Baby Syndrome. I have done some research I have learned that some of theses symptoms are signs of meningitis. My questions are as followsCan a child that has two blows to the head in a two week period have brain trauma that kill her?Can blisters that are infectious spread to the brain and cause her die?Can a child be shook on the first of the month and not have symptoms until the 30th month?How long does patient keep their color after going unresponsive?Please help me out my boyfriend is sitting in prison for a crime that he didn't commit. He has 3 kids of own. He would never harm a child.
  • i am going therw the same thing! i gave birth to my 3rd baby girl Cynthia Corrina on march 27 09 she was a premmie 5lbs 9oz. i was induced at 35wks because of my blood pressure and sugar. when she came out i noticed she was pale white because im mixed hisp&black and there dad is a dark skined mexican my two girls our in between. so i asked the nurse and she told me its normal. 2 days after i left the hosptial after being in there for 4 days. i noticed red rash that looked like sun burn all over her body. i talked to my mom and she said it was normal. so i didn't think to much of it. days passed and she wasnt eating well she would spit up and than throwing up her hold meal (milk) than she would have more dirty pampers than urined. april came we took them to my aunts house for easter held her the hold time. my aunt heard my baby caried and said your baby crys like a cat! i said yeah i know shes been crying like that since she was born! And my husband and i used to joke around and called her our baby kitty! my baby had a wic appointment the following week(monday) and i made a appointment with her dr the same week (friday) the week before mother's day. So we drop off the girls at my moms. than my husband and i took cythina to the clinic. while we were in the car she began to cry non stop! So i told him just drop us off at the front door i tought she might be hungry while he fined a parking spot. When i got in i sign in etc.. so im trying to sign the rest of papers but she is still crying. and a older woman siting behind me offered to hold her while i fisnished. i wasnt really sure but my husband wasnt here yet and the people around were getting upset . so i let her hold her and she did she rocked her 3 mins or so until the nurse called us in. At this time she is asleep so i layed her back in her car seat. until it was time for the nurses to weigh and mearsure her. when i took her out of the car seat her dad had gotten there 5 mins b4. while i was getting her out she began to cry alot again and this time she was stiffing up. and my husband took her from the nurse and started rocking and singing to her and she quiet down. while the nurse was talking to me. she asked me if she had always cried like this? and i said yeah but today its way more than usual. And she asked me about her eating i said she wasnt really liking her milk she would spit it up most of the time. so she chaged her formula to senative thinking she might have colic. after we lelf the office we went home and she slept as normal. I gave her the milk the next day and she drank it easier than the advance formula. may the 5th rolled around same as easter but she did leave my sight for a while but i knew where she was the hold time. my family and i decided together saturday afternoon around 2pm for a early mother's day dinner. that friday may 9th i took her and her middle sister to the doctor. i gave the sec. the appointment slip and i waited. watied and watied. we got there at 8:30 and around 10 the sec comes and says o the doctor is not going to see your child because her heath care plan isn't the one she takes. So call your provider and change it than we can see her in another 30 days. we lelf and that night cynthia slept and ate normal. So saturday comes and everything is going good and again i let my baby out of my sight while i helped cook. around 630pm our daughters start to get cranky so we decide to leave. my cousian brought my baby cynthia in her car seat to the car and we leave. we got home at 7 and i cleaned the house and layed her sister down the baby is asleep the hold time. and i woke her up at 9 fead her burped her chaged her pamper and put her asleep. from 9 to 2am i did the same thing. 2-4 same thing except she spit up all the milk i fed her and it came out of her nose to so i tought i fed her to much. so i layed her back down. at 6 that morning my husband a woke to cynthia crying like at wic that monday. so he woke me up and asked me why was she crying? i told him she might be hungry he fed her and we went back to sleep. around 7 my husband told me the baby is not moving or breathing and i woke up ran over and picked her up she wasnt waking up and she was blue in the face. in panic i scremed for my neighbors for help knocking at their doors but nothing so i drove to the gas station and called 911 while my husband stayed with our daughters. mins felt like hours while we waited it was 10mins they said. i don't remember what happen next all i remember is getting to the local hosptial were they told us that they had to transport her to a different hosptial 3 cities away. we got there and hours later they told us we can she her but that she was already brain dead. i didnt belive it and they told us she would have never recover. the doctor told us after x-rays and mris that she suffered a subnormal hematoma and brain hemogeing.(exuse me if i spelled it wrong.) and she had a crack rib and broken legs. And the doctor said theses are symptoms that are due to be shaken! shaken baby syndrome. so they called c.p.s and the police came and introgated us and offer us polographs the next day (may 11th) which we passed. i never shook or hit my baby.(may 12th) And the nurse came in and ask will we like to donate her. and we did i said if they couldn't save our baby a least she'll save someone else's life. later that day our daughters were taking away from us put in foster care. and may the 23rd we buried our beautful daughter Cynthia Corrina. until today my girls are in cps care. no arrest has been made. my family who were there that saturday were intorgated and polygraphed everyone has passed it. so we are overwhelmed with dis belief and taking everyday day by day. and a few days after her furnal i recevide a lettler saying that my baby's heart was donated to a 8 month old girl.till today i still dont believe my baby was killed. Hi. I have no experience or story to post, however I did just read a post under the section for misdiagnosis stories. One post was from a mother who had a 6 month old child who died from meningitis, although the doctor first diagnosed it as shaken baby syndrome. She has only now recieved the report saying it was meningitis, so yes, as far as I can tell, it is possible your child has had meningitis rather than SBS.Hope all goes well from here on - I agree with getting a second opinion and fighting for what you want to know.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 24, 2009
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey,I found this forum by coincidence and just wanted to tell you that a german (I am German so excuse for my bad english) medical examiner/coroner suspects vaccinations (too early and especially those multi-vaccinations against many deseases at once) could be a reason for the swelling of the brain. He noticed a cumulation of those "SBS"-cases and did some research because he noticed that a lot of parents were really desperate about their childs death and couldnt understand why they were blamed for it and he became suspicious of this SBS-diagnose. He found out that most if not all of those dead babies had multiple vaccinations at a early age.I am sorry I cant tell you more of the medical stuff he explained because I saw that on TV a couple of months ago and my english is just too bad to translate that. But maybe its possible to find information about this in the internet.Best regardsPetra from Wiesbaden, Germany
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2009
    • 04:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please- anyone who has been through this awful process of misdiagnosis- please contact me with advice/stories about how to prove you didn't hurt your baby!!!!!!! I am desperate to prove to the drs/police that we did not harm our son and have no idea how to do so!! prncsswk@yahoo.com
  • Immune thrombocytopenia purpurasymptoms mimic sbs diagnosis.Many doctors do not know about this blood disorder and you would need to consult a hemotologist
  • i am still trying to figure out if a 3 month old infant can have sbs from being rocked in a carseat but noone can answer me could you? my husband is being acussed of it but theres a problem all the doctors i have spoken too tell me no he said he left our baby with a neighbor before anything happened and that when he got him back he was turning blue and his eyes rolled back and he stopped breathing going limp i have been fed bs from police that the doctors confirmed were lies.................i dont believe that he did this. if anyone can give me answers please let me know i am desperate.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• we are currently going through this as well my husband took our 8month old baby girl to the hospital BC of difficulty breathing. they told him they thought she had a seizure and she was ambulanced to Vanderbilt. they did a CT and found a fractured skull and done bleeding on the brain later found retnal damage and automatically assumed that she was shaken by either me or her father. MRI showed no bruises on any other part of her body and no broken bones. she has a rather large head for her body and has difficulty sitting on her own a few days before she pushed herself over my leg and fell off the bed. they won't even consider this as the reason for the head teams but it's the only thing that has recently happened to her. I know that seizures can sometimes cause retnal bleeding. I just want to know what is medically wrong with my child and all the doctors and government officials are worried about is passing blame. please can anyone help. they have taken our 3 year old as well as our 8 month old and we are crushed. I just recently found out that I was pregnant again and the detective had mentioned trying to take my unborn child away once it is born. please if anyone knows anything.
    Bella 161888 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Petra, wenn Sie Probleme mit übersetzen, was Sie von Deutsch auf Englisch sagen müssen, ist diese Website einfach zu bedienen. Nur um www.translate.google.com gehen.Ich hoffe, das hilft.Haben Sie einen fantastischen Tag.Hey,I found this forum by coincidence and just wanted to tell you that a german (I am German so excuse for my bad english) medical examiner/coroner suspects vaccinations (too early and especially those multi-vaccinations against many deseases at once) could be a reason for the swelling of the brain. He noticed a cumulation of those "SBS"-cases and did some research because he noticed that a lot of parents were really desperate about their childs death and couldnt understand why they were blamed for it and he became suspicious of this SBS-diagnose. He found out that most if not all of those dead babies had multiple vaccinations at a early age.I am sorry I cant tell you more of the medical stuff he explained because I saw that on TV a couple of months ago and my english is just too bad to translate that. But maybe its possible to find information about this in the internet.Best regardsPetra from Wiesbaden, Germany
    justangela 1 Replies
    • September 11, 2013
    • 06:53 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement