Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pain and Weakness in Muscles - Spider Bite?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: aholland
  • July 1, 2007
  • 01:26 PM

Wednesday, 6/27/07, my husband began to feel very ill. Muscles in his arms and legs began to drastically weaken and were sore. In the night he started to run a low-grade fever.

The following day, Thursday 6/28, he went early to an urgent care clinic. His muscles had increased in pain and had begun to tremor slightly when flexed. His range of motion was limited and he complained of feeling stiff.

At the clinic, the doctor did a quick swab for strep and did some blood work http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5247/bloodwork1tw6.jpg. He told us that the quick strep test came back positive and the blood work looked like there was an infection. They put my husband on an IV drip with two antibiotics, and after a couple of hours, the doctor sent him home with a 5-day antibiotic and a prescription strength pain medication similar to tylenol.

Although my husband began taking the prescription, we have only seen his symptoms worsen. He is so weak now, he is almost unable to climb our stairs, and his fingers are so stiff that he has trouble grasping a glass of water. The pain he feels is intense and he tells me that the painkiller only reduces it by about 20%. We called the clinic back to find out if anything had been found in his bloodwork (they were running some sort of 3 day test) and the nurse said that his blood was negative for strep.

Last night, in an attempt to find some explanation as to what was happening, we discovered a set of similar symptoms associated with a black widow spider bite. The reason this caught our attention was because we had recently seen several black widows outside our house, and we had killed one just last weekend near the garage.

We searched my husband's body for any sign of a bite and sure enough we found a very red mark with the two tell-tale fang ****k marks.
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3007/spiderbite1hp6.jpg

We thought surely that this must be what was wrong. Very concerned, still in intese pain and hoping to get a proper diagnosis, my husband went in to the ER at midnight. The doctor glanced quickly at the bite and shrugged it off. He said that this was all part of an infection, and prescribed him an anti-inflammatory.

My husband is continuing the antibiotic because he thinks that no doctor will take him seriously until he has completed the medication and the symptoms remain.

Any suggestions about how to procede?

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I can't say if it was a spider bite . It could have been two ticks were attached at the same time. Did they test for Lyme and the co infections?? Do a search and check out lymenet.org. Hope he gets help soon. ~~Dee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • You bet it is. Show the picture to the doctor. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=61266 An anti-venom medication is sometimes given for black widow spider bites. Doctors use different types of medications to treat spider bites, including pain relievers, muscle relaxants, and/or corticosteroids. Sometimes hospitalization is required after black widow or brown recluse spider bites. http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/spider.htmimmediate pain, burning, swelling, and redness at the site (double fang marks may be seen) cramping pain and muscle rigidity in the stomach, chest, shoulders, and backheadachedizzinessrash and itchingrestlessnes and anxietysweatingeyelid swellingnausea or vomitingsalivation, tearing of the eyesweakness, tremors, or paralysis, especially in the legsGive acetaminophen for pain.Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment may include muscle relaxants, pain relievers and other medications, and supportive care. Antivenin may be needed, although it is usually not required. Hospitalization may be needed.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • That sure IS a spider bite:eek:!!!!! I would bring the ***n pic with you to the Dr's. This is sad, really. This is so obvious it's a spider bite, are the Dr's BLIND!!!!!!! Man this makes me mad. Please keep us updated, I'm praying for him ;)
    sosickofthis 31 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm only on here looking for some answers to a bite that I have, and I find it annoying how many people put in their two bob's worth without really thinking it through.It's the very reason why the medical community strongly advise against researching medical issues online (and further self-diagnosis).I'm not suggesting that I believe in self-diagnosis online, but you can certainly educate yourself a great deal by doing some research.My point is the above post by MonsterLove is exactly the response people's questions deserve.It's researched and backed up by links, not personal opinions. If people did more of this, the internet would continue to be a reliable source of information.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2010
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • heyy i got a bite like that 3 months ago, near my thigh it hurt a lot, like muscular cramps, but the doctor just gave me anti bacterial cream and said doesnt no what bit me, it didnt work, the muscular pain was still there around the bitten area, the next doctor gave me antibiotics for three days, still didnt go, i stopped going to the doctor, the pains worse now, and sometimes i feel it pricking like recently. i thot it mite be a tick bite or a spider bite coz of the two holes. how can doctors be soo dumbbb i wonder if my legs safe :/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 01:57 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement