Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Red / purple legs

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 23 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 29, 2007
  • 08:13 AM

I am 24 and I've been having this weird symptom on my legs/feet for a pretty long time (since I was 15-16, I never had this problem when I was young). Whenever I stand up or just sit down (except lying down), my legs become red/purple, especially during/after shower, and the veins would be extremely obvious, and the skin dry and thick and rough (bumpy), the hair follicles would turn darker red/purple; here's the strange part, they go back to normal looking legs/feet whenever I lie down. I've been hopeless for years since I realized there seems no method or explanation about this weird symptom, and I never wear shorts because my feet look like they have some sort of disease, im pretty upset about it whenever I see everyone else could wear shorts/skirt, people ask me why I still wear jeans in the summer, but I never knew how to answer them. Anyone knows wht this is? I think the prob could be related to poor blood circulation in my legs , but what is causing this problem? I've tried exercising, no help. Ive also tried using loofah to get rid of the bumps, better but the prob is not only on the surface of the skin, but somehow deep down insdie the veins? I've been doing research on the internet, and found some people with the exact same symptoms, part of the prob I have is called KP, its just a skin disorder, but it doesnt relate to the color of the skin, so far I still don't know what the cause is, nor any method in treating this. Please help!! Any information would be helpful, thanks! : (

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• well, i've got it too. my legs are perfectly white (i'm super-pale) and shapely (really, i know it's not discoloration due to fat or cellulite) when sitting/resting, but after i've stood on them for a minute they become red and purple and the knees get lumpy and ... swollen, or something. i hate it; and i've never gotten a diagnosis. i assume it has something to do with circulation (my hands, too, turn a little purple and slightly thick if held down toward gravity, but are very thin and very white if held upwards. what?)i just wear pants all the time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2007
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, I have that same problem too. I'm 17 years old, but I can remember having this problem since I was 14. I don't know if I had it earlier than that because I never really noticed. I only noticed then because people were making comments. I never wear flip-flops because my feet are purple. I went to my doctor, and he told me that it was probably bad circulation. He told me to elevate my legs whenever I could and to exercise more. Whenever I elevate one foot, but keep the other down, there is a very noticable difference. And the shower thing is totally true. I notice my feet burning and red after I take a shower. I don't know what it is. I wish I did. I'm thinking about seeing a different doctor. If you find out what this is, please let me know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2007
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Peripheral vascular disease?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • September 3, 2007
    • 10:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Raynaud's phenomenon?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2007
    • 09:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Raynaud’s Disease: A vasospastic (blood vessels constrict) condition that commonly affects the toes. Either primary (most common and less severe) or secondary (less common, more severe). “Attacks” that cause discoloration (white, blue, or red) and sensation changes (coldness, numbness, tingling, or throbbing). Treatment depends on severity. Mild cases can be controlled with warming measures, cease smoking, stress control, and exercising. Severe condition often require medical treatment with or without medications, and appropriate control of associated disease(s) such as lupus, scleroderma, etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 09:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I came back to this page because I wanted to give an update (I wrote on 6/29/07)! Recently I looked up "purple legs" again and I found something might be useful for all of us. This is called "Hughes Syndrome", please read the following:What is Hughes syndrome?Hughes syndrome, also known as antiphospholipid syndrome or 'sticky blood' is a disorder characterized by blood clotting, both in the arteries and veins.What causes Hughes Syndrome?Hughes syndrome is caused by the presence of antibodies in the blood, called antiphospholipid antibodies. These antibodies make the immune system work too hard, increasing blood clotting. Blood clotting can affect anyone of any age and can happen suddenly e.g. leg thrombosis or over a number of years. For more information on deep vein thrombosis (DVT) click here.What are the symptoms of Hughes Syndrome?In some people the only symptom of Hughes syndrome is recurrent miscarriage (often late in pregnancy). This is due to small clots affecting the placenta, preventing vital nutrients getting to the growing baby. However, other symptoms could include any of the following:Headaches (migraine type).Epilepsy.Memory loss.Blotchiness of the skin, which causes bluish discolouration of certain areas of the body, such as the knees and wrists.Hughes syndrome is also an important cause of thrombotic disease, including thrombosis of the leg or arm or of any internal organ. As a result there is a possibility it can cause strokes and heart attacks.I'm not sure if this is what I have, I think I'll go run some blood tests to see if I really have this syndrome. And one more thing is, I think I also have Lupus, and Hughes Syndrome is closely associated with Lupus, and it makes more sense to me now! Does any of you have Lupus? For some reasons, I hope this is what I have, because I don't think I will be able to find out why anymore... this is really tiring... and summer's coming up. I'll post after I get the tests done, I'll let you know if this is what I have. And since I also looked up for cures, there isn't realy any cure for this thing, except Aspirin, because it helps thinning your blood, but I don't think it's a "cure" and I won't want to be taking aspirin every single day. I'll go for chinese herbal medicine, or acupuncture, I heard they can actually cure these disorders, also, in a more natural way~ Please give me some feedback as well, tell me what you think (if anyone's still reading this!) thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could be Bier spots. That was my problem. Look into it!!!
  • Hi, I have also been experiencing a similar problem. My legs and feet turn purple and red when I have been stood up for a few minutes but the most pain I have had is a tingling. I also have experienced this since my teens and I am now in my late twenties. I also often have cold feet but in recent years I have suffered very hot sometimes swollen feet which even occurs when temperatures are sub zero and on many occasions i have woken up at night from the heat. When my feet are cold they do turn purple but their is no discomfort but when they are hot they turn bright red and can sometimes be painful, itchy or tingly. Both changes in colour occur when I am sat down or stood up. I have not looked into the problem as I just presumed it was poor circulation due to my build?
  • Someone had said Raynaud's phenomenon. Thats immediatly what I thought.Its pretty much your blood pooling in your legs and not circulating to your heart.What would help you out a lot would be graduated compression hose. This is typically what a lot of old people wear. (I'm only 17) I suffer from the same thing (but its a symptom of my disease, POTS) and these have helped me a lot. You should most definantly talk to your doctor about. They have different level of compression. I have the highest. Here is a link to a site that sells them so that you can have an idea of what I am talking about.http://www.phc-online.com/Graduated_Compression_Pantyhose_s/4261.htmIf you try them and they dont work, I will be very very surprised!!Good luck!!
  • Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2009
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • im 17 i have the exact same problem my knewws and shins turn really purple and hard and so on as well if i touch them or pinch them i dont feel it then they turn blue?? im really confused and worried about this any answers would indeed be helpfull so plz if u can find out what this is plz let me know as soon as u can and like the post at the top states its only when sitting or standing or having a bath or shower when i lie down to go to sleep i dont notcie it so wats happening !!! 1-306-550-1992 plz text me with answers or even just send me an email stoleyourheartspencykinz@hotmail.com thank you! :) :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 07:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Yeah seriously? Im 15, and i've had this ***n problem. I need a cure.. like i cant go through highschool with ugly legs like this. mine are when i lay down too. Unless im warm, my legs are purple.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2010
    • 01:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Errgh. I have this exact problem and have had it for ages and I have not idea what to do about it. It's usually when I'm cold or when I've been standing, and it's worst after a shower. From what I can tell from researching on the internet it seems to be "livedo reticularis". I asked my doctor once but he just shrugged and told me not to worry about it (helpful right?).Has anyone tried anything? I'm thinking of starting to do dry body brushing to try and increase circulation, I don't have high hopes. It's extremely frustrating.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 06:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem. They get really purple with red batches and get really tingly and itchy!! I am now pregnant and the problem has gotten worse. My legs are also swollen all the time especially in my ankles and lower legs. I was told I had primary lymphedema and have to wear compression stockings all the time. The stockings do help a lot.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • helloi am 22 and have been having a similar problem for as long i can remember. When i stand up or sit down for too long my legs go purple and blotchy and itch quite a lot. i went to see my doctor about it and she sed my circulation is fine and it could be chillblanes. my legs dont become inflamed and i have this problem all year round.Can anyone give me an idea of what this may b?Tarrr
  • When i was younger, i had similar issues, i am a male. Sore feet and legs.As ive become an adult ive fixed the issue myself...its pretty simple, and not necessarily that serious....you have only 1 pump, to push a lot of blood and drive a lot of other fluid systems around..only 1 pump....you need to help it..how? through regular exercise, which increases the workrate of the pump, but also, you work your muscles.... How does this help? well the blood and fluid transport systems run alongside the muscles, so as the muscles flex or work, the transport systems are given a shunt along.... so if you do minimal exercise, sit cross legged, or sit on chairs with poor posture, and stress a lot..you will experience many symptoms..try, sitting in good posture, strong core, legs independent of each other (not crossed)...standing regularly and moving regularly..MOST IMPORTANTLY - while sitting, concentrating on your posture, you are focussing on your legs and ur ankles, where you stretch and flex your legs, your ankles, and your knees..you must stretch and flex ..to help to fluid systems...or else toxins, blood, fluids pool and get backlogged in your legs..its simple, exercise, sTRETCH, when sitting think of your 1 PUMP working so hard to move all the blood and fluid around, give it a help, keep things straight up and down and moving freely..GOODLUCK!!!....RELY ON YOURSELF TO HEAL YOU...doctors know disease and illness, not you...
  • Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came across it whilst searching for a solution to my problem. I'm 16, and for the past few years, I've noticed that standing up for a period of more than 3 or 4 minutes in the same place makes my legs go tingly and blotchy-red. The thing is, it disappears if I walk around or exercise my legs. I immediately thought it was poor circulation, or claudication, but that's the opposite to my problem, because claudication only occurs when the person exercises their legs, not when they're just standing still.For the past few days I've noticed random leg pain as well, intermittent across both legs. Just little 'pangs' or small aches all over both legs that disappear and reappear elsewhere.I've been to my doctor, but he just dismissed almost immediately as something to worry about since I'm only 16, I'm not overweight, I do a decent amount of exercise, I don't have diabetes, nor do I smoke, and I rarely drink, so I have basically no risk factors.If anyone could shed any light on what this is, it would be fantastic, or if anyone has had the same experience and could share some ways to combat it, that would be great.Thanks in advance.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2010
    • 04:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I didn't mean for this post to be so long, my frustration has been building up for the past half year and, in replying quickly to a post, the dam FINALLY broke below: I have a lot of what you all describe about your legs. I've had it since like around 12 or so I guess. But its getting a lot worse now. All this time, my mom's been saying its no big deal, everyone's legs get red in the shower and turn white/purple when its cold. So I've ignored it. Also, I've had weak, sore, painful joints most of my life as well, though over the years its progressively gotten to the point where in middle school something unpleasant on my wrists (like picking up a textbook w/ 1 hand), is now completely intolerable. So yeah, everything including the leg stuff has gotten worse and I've been really sick for half a year now, with this being one minor problem. With respect to my legs: When I take a shower, there's the classic burning and turning brilliant-deep-red, but now, my hands do it too, and both legs and hands blanch white instantly when I flex them, and red reappears instantly as I relax them. This oddity is made more curious because my legs then become very red/white splotchy, with the red slightly raised. On the sides of my knees (to the inside, down my calves) the red/purple never goes away and my legs hurt and are weak. Also, all my veins pop up out of my skin, and my hands often have red over knuckles/joints or look sickly green, gray and they seem to hurt along joints and veins. It feels maybe like bone pain. For months now I've had dry red cheeks, purple circles under my eyes and a generally pallored yellowish face. I also have some vision problems such as night blindness, and lost perception, things look like they're dancing around in my field of vision, really odd.Also, my legs are really dry, with tiny red dots/bumps everywhere (maybe acne???) and small dime-sized bruises everywhere, the painful ones are on top of bone and veins I can see. Also there seems to be fluid or something trapped around my ankles, and my whole lower legs look bigger than normal. Further, I've been getting pain everywhere that feels like its coming from bones and veins, even in my neck, though that sounds ridiculous, can your vein hurt? I also get the sensation of like rushing blood in spots on leg, or finger tip, etc??. I also have muscle twitching and paresthesia, and I cannot rotate my hand without it involuntarily trembling, sending tiny prickles into my fingers. I don't know what important or not, okay: my body temp. is really low (I wake up in the middle of a hot sweat and my temp is 95.5) cannot think straight, words constantly escape me, like my brain is really foggy, headache, cough for the last 6 months, dizziness especially standing up or stretching, trouble breathing especially in morning, pain around ribs is accompanied weirdly by soft red lines that stretch up and down my body in little rows of two or three mostly to the sides (no idea??), constant GI issues, everything is hard to swallow even water, need to gag often like nouseau, but in my throat rather than than deep in stomach, pain both sides of my pelvis in the front along with period irregularities and breast pain and bruised appearance, pain in glands in neck and on bumps behind ears, smelling throw-up everywhere, loss of some hearing in left ear hearing (like clogged or infected, no pain), read itchy spots around mouth (herpes??), ecxsema all over head, hair loss, constant infections, and hyperpigmentation like described for Addison's, a rapid heart-beat (resting~120 bpm), all my life I've had particularly low BP, now it goes greatly up and down, when in ER- 135/90 (normal for me: 110/60), doctors offered no info. Final note before I give up listing all the crap that makes my life ***l, the nurse practitioner found my pulse ox. at 93%, she thought it was probably wrong, I don't know??Also: I don't smoke, only medication is adderall, which I got after all my symptoms arrived and murdered my ability to follow a normal sentence let alone organic chemistry, no birth control. I've had no trauma, and I am a virgin (in trying to figure out what's wrong I often got results suggesting pregnancy?? I think I can safely cross that out unless I figure in that pesky lingering chance its immaculate conception :) but maybe something wrong with hormones, what would cause that?I think and am slightly convinced I have Lupus, although every doctor I've gone to just totally dances around the issue and doesn't know anything except how to listen to my lungs. (My ANA was + at least). All they can tell me is that my various infections (bronchitis, oral thrush, and multiple cold-sores) don't have to do with pneumonia. Nope, no bad things like pneumonia, just your average every day four-month long simultaneous bacterial, fungal and viral infection that leaves you incapable of yawning without multiple oral lesions from thrush pouring blood into your mouth. *Hopes that painted a nice picture :) * When I was trying to tell my doctor some of what I was feeling at an appointment, the first thing I started to mention was oral thrush, though I hadn't known it yet and she cut me off half-way through the sentence and said "Let's just worry about your lungs today" which I had already mentoned were always clear and a month later from my dentist I learned it was thrush, that had worsened to the point I couldn't swallowed. I didn't eat anything solid for over about a month b/c my entire mouth hurt so much. Yet when I had seen my doctor to try and tell her, before I got a chance she said flat out, "You're fine....( in a condescending, your overreacting way, that me feel like I was gpong crazy because I wasn't fine, I felt and feel completely drained ). She finished by saying, "You should go back to school." like I was just trying to get out of class by fancying myself sick and that obviously she thought I wasn't, that was my limit. I couldn't even make it to the car before I burst into tears. I felt like that was the last bit of hope that someone might care.Sorry, you can obviously tell how exhausted I am with doctors. I mean seriously, why do they all go into the profession, when they're so annoyed by having complaints brought to them about such trivial things as muscles not working, pain, or a raging infection in mouth/esophagus not being able breath properly *Sarcasm*. All they say is "it's just in your head, a little stress, just try to be healthier, and do some exercise." To which I'd say: "I would if my joints didn't hurt so badly that I had trouble holding a coffee cup, and or if my muscles weren't so weak that I couldn't climb the stairs, or my absolute intolerance of cold didn't stop me from going anywhere. I'm not even 23, how is that in the realm of just normal, live healthier crap?" Yet no doctor says anything, not even a guess. (Oh, and I also have herniated disk.)The one time I went to a rheumatologist after getting a + ANA, she looked at me for no more than 2 minutes after I had waited a full 2 months for the appointment and missed school for the purpose, said my joints weren't swelled, told me she'd call with blood tests in an hour, and never did. I called her office 4 times in a months, and still nothing ever..I've been looking at all these sites trying to figure out what the ***l is wrong with me, half the time thinking that I'm going crazy and that its all in my head 'cause none of the doctors to seem to care in the slightest, and no one looked at whole picture because they only studied 1 specialty, the neurologist was just the head, and the primary care was only capable of listening to lungs even after she'd been to Harvard, so what did she actually do there? I haven't yet gotten to sit with one person who could help piece together everything. Ugh...It's my senior year. I'm so exhausted and can't think straight that it causes me to need to stay up later to compensate for my slower work when sick, which no doubt will send me into a downward health spiral, and then everyone will be mad at me, teachers, doctors, parents. This is getting ridiculous. Hopefully, no one on this board ever feels quite this awful, but if you can relate, doesn't it just completely stink.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2010
    • 11:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • that was a moving post, similar problems here and i would like to speak to you via email
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2010
    • 08:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMg what is it it started with me last month I am sixten right now it itches and turns from a red to a blue to a purple and it itches more when I get a hot shower not cold so it has to do with heat it itches and aches while I ly down . I'm glad um not deformed and some one else has the same problem it itches mainly towards the anckle also my hair will turn from a black to a blonde and stand straight up and itch and itch. I am going to the doctwr to find out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2011
    • 04:18 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement