Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

pain when lying down

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: sleep_pain
  • June 27, 2007
  • 02:43 PM

For over 6 months now I become very sore all over when I lay down to sleep or sit for very long. It's an achy pain, sometimes burning, wherever my body is touching the bed or chair. I do not have Lupus (ANA tests are negative), my MRI and EMG (nerve) tests are fine...

I have looked and looked but can't find anyone else with this. Is it an unusual form of fibromyalgia? Any other ideas?

I had a flare up tonight, and I also have a mildly sore throat, slightly runny nose, and a mild cough including cough/pain with deep breath. No fevers. I don't know if these cold/allergy symptoms are related to my pain flare-up.

Other chronic conditions I have are paresthesia, enlarged spleen, thrombocytopenia, intermittent extreme fatigue, peripheral limb movement disorder, etc.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could clue me in to what is going on and how to treat it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Just a guess but maybe bursitis especially of hips, X-rays won't show but a sed rate(blood test) would be elevated. 25 yr experienced nurse:)
    pattyzac 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Is it skin pain, muscle pain or grinding bone pain?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • It is not grinding bone pain. As for skin & muscle pain - it's both. When you've been on your feet for far too long, they ache on the inside and burn on the surface. When you're stuck in bed for a couple of days, you get achy where you've been lying. The pain I get is a combination of pressure and burning and aching where ever I'm touching the bed/couch/chair, as if I've been there for days with a bad case of the flu. When this all began last year, it took 4-5 hours to hurt enough to wake me up at night. On a bad day it takes only 5 minutes to start hurting. Usually it takes around 20-30 minutes, so the pain starts before I'm even asleep. So now I stay up late and get myself super tired in order to get to sleep. This often backfires as I can get involved in whatever I'm doing and stay up even later. Sometimes I wake up early from the pain, sometimes I get to sleep until my alarm goes off. Some times the pain goes away a few minutes after getting up, some times it hangs on for hours. Some days I'm fine during the day, some days I can't stay awake. It makes it very difficult for me to keep to the schedules my husband and daughter are on...... OK, enough whining for now.:p I can still use my body normally. No weakness, no loss of range of motion. When I'm able to make it to my Yoga class, I do just fine.
    sleep_pain 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Still sounds like bursitis my hip bursitis excruciating when laying down! When I':) m up doesn't hurt at all!!
    pattyzac 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wow. I'll look at Bursitis again and ask my doctor about it. The pain isn't in my joints so much ... more on the surface... but it's worth looking into any leads. Thanks!
    sleep_pain 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please list where it hurts, such as back of head, back of neck etc. Since the joints don't hurt, it doesn't sound like any arthritis. Could this be a reaction to your laundry detergent on your sheets? Get the unperfumed type if you can. Can't hurt.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • I can relate. For the past week, whenever I lie down, no matter in what position, I have pain. It feels as if I am putting pressure on a bruise in the area making contact with the bed. I do okay while standing or sitting. A recent blood test showed a higher than normal level of eosinophils, 9.9. I also have a cough, but not a cold. Any ideas on what might be the problem?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2011
    • 06:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can relate. Within the last week, whenever I lie down, I get pain no matter what position I am in. It feels similar to putting pressure on a bruised area wherever my body contacts the bed. I had blood work done and it was normal other than a high reading for eosinophils at 9.9. About the same time this started, I developed a cough, but do not have a cold. Any idea what might be causing this?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2011
    • 09:01 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement