Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Bones out-of-joint? Mostly in feet

Posted In: Muscle conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 21, 2007
  • 03:52 PM

Bones in my feet, and sometimes my legs, seem to slip out of joint from time to time. It seems to happen most when there is a sudden drop in temperature. Warm water seems to help some. I can see by looking at my feet that a bone is out of place. For example, a toe will be twisted out of position. Within about five minutes, the bone goes back to where it should be and the pain goes away.
My main concern is that I have never had the pain go away unless I am in a standing or sitting position. I wonder what will happen if I should be bedridden and the bone goes out of joint.
I've looked at a lot of articles on arthritis, but none of them seem to address this. I don't have any aching or swelling, just a pain that feels like something is not where it belongs. Also, I've looked at hypermobile joints, and those are supposedly painless. I am double-jointed, if that means anything.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Hi it sounds as thought you are really hypermobile, from what i have read hypermobile joints can sometimes be painful especially when the condition is severe. Hypermobility can also be associated with some other conditions such as fibromalayia. Another thing you may want to consider is something called Ehler Danlos syndrome do you bruise easily that is another symptom of Ehler Danlos. Being double jointed is just a name they give to people whose joints are extremely flexible usually due to lax ligaments maybe that is your only problem though you are right to be concerned when your joints dislocate for no reason ,i know this would freak me out.all the best, Oscar
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It is possible to have hypermobile joints and not suffer any problems such as pain and joints slipping out of place. Many people make a good living out of having flexible bodies like this such as gymnastics, dancers and even contortionists. However if you have hypermobile joints and symptoms such as joint pain and partial dislocations known as subluxions (Bones slipping out of joints) then it is possible the person has hypermobility syndrome. There are other related conditions to hypermobility syndrome such as Ehlers Danlos syndrome however the symptoms are pretty much the same as is the test to diagnose it. You will need to find a rheumatologist (or geneticist if you live outside the UK) for a diagnosis. Click on my homepage for info on the types of Ehlers Danlos.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement