Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Burning when urination but not a UTI

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 21, 2007
  • 08:48 AM

For the past five weeks, on and off I've had burning when I urinate. I've been to the doctors - two different ones, and it isn't a UTI or Chlamydia. What else could it be? I've had a bit of spotting and lower abdominal/cramping/pain. Any help please. I'm an 18yr old female, sexually active.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Burning where? From inside the urethra? from outside the urethra like a sting when you urinate? Lay off the sex for a while. Drink lotsa water. Spotting from where? the vagina or in your urine? Sounds like two different things going on.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • It burns when I urinate but also after...and the spotting has stopped - I got my period..and stopped taking birth control (thinking that had given me a yeast infection or something)...took Diflucan and that didn't do any good. So it's not a UTI, Chlamydia OR thrush.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • vulvar vestibulitis?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • It burns when I urinate but also after...and the spotting has stopped - I got my period..and stopped taking birth control (thinking that had given me a yeast infection or something)...took Diflucan and that didn't do any good. So it's not a UTI, Chlamydia OR thrush.Are you taking any stimulant drugs for ADD such as Adderall or Vyvanse? Or have you been using methamphetamine (Im asking seriously)?Burning during urination can simply be something in you're urine that is an irritant. Its a known side affect of stimulant drugs to cause irritation in the lining of the urethra because the pH level of stimulant compounds is very very high. If you take stims, ever wonder why your stomach is so sour feeling, or if you get nausea or belch .. its due to the higher level of acidity.I know from experience - ;0) Just give that a break - if thats the case and drink lots of water, see if I'm right.If it isnt stimulants then other things that can cause the same thing are excessive amounts of caffine and or citrus.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2009
    • 05:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If it isnt stimulants then other things that can cause the same thing are excessive amounts of caffeine and or citrus.Caffeine causes anxiety, which can cause pelvic muscle spasms. When this happens, lactic acid is released, causing a burning sensation. I had this for what seems like forever. It was horrible. I stopped drinking caffeine and it stopped 100%. Feels like the vagina is burning, but doctors couldn't find a thing. Many doses of anti-biotics and anti-fungals too. I posted this on another topic: I went to a urologist after I had burning for 8 months straight. I had been to 2 gynos and they couldn't figure it out. It was the best thing I ever did. After he was puzzled for doing numerous tests (microbes came back negative), the light bulb went off after I told him when I was stressed (anxiety) it got worse down there. He said that my pelvic muscles may be stuck in an endless cycle of spasms (basically in a fist the entire time), which release lactic acid, which creates this burning sensation. He gave me Valium (muscle relaxer) to take at night (knocked me out) to try to trick the muscles (it remains in the system all day the next day, just in time for the next dose) for 30 days, which helped tremendously. I didn't want to take something that made me so out of it at work, so I looked up on the web what caused anxiety, and caffeine was the dinger. I stopped drinking caffeine and my burning has gone away completely!!!!! Seriously, if you're at your wits end, try to kick the caffeine habit. It seems so simple, but effective. When I went in for a follow-up I told him he was a genius! He said he's starting to see this alot more often with women in their 20's who are educated and work full-time jobs, they are stressed out, and something creates stress and they clamp up their pelvic muscles, which in turn create an endless loop because you are worried the pain will come back, so you never relax.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • herpes 2 can cause that; you don't have to have an outbreak to have it. You could rule it out with a blood test.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • September 22, 2009
    • 01:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • herpes 2 can cause that; you don't have to have an outbreak to have it. You could rule it out with a blood test.I know you like to always throw Herpes 2 out there, but I was tested for it, and it was negative. Herpes 2 doesn't last for 8 months straight.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2009
    • 01:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know you like to always throw Herpes 2 out there, but I was tested for it, and it was negative. Herpes 2 doesn't last for 8 months straight.hi i have the same problem it began the start of this year i was told i had a infection but i took the antibotics and it went away for a bit but it came bk and it keeps cumin back i mite be fine for a small bit like but it will **m bk and it is very sore and it goes away after a few hours but the pain has me in tears .I am waiting for a call for an ultrasound on my kidneys maybe you should ask your doctor for one.I also had a small bit of blood in my urine .I have a history of kidney failure in my family dat is why I am being sent for the ultrasound but who knows it might solve your problem ,it is a horrible tin to have to go through it is so painful,I wish you the best of luck and i will keep you informed if i get any more info into what is wrong with me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement