Discussions By Condition: Knee conditions

Sharp Pain To Knee

Posted In: Knee conditions 79 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 4, 2006
  • 06:01 PM

My Wife Has Started To Get Sudden Sharp Pain To Her Left Knee On The Side Of Knee Cap, Last For About 5 Seconds But Sharp Pain,
Started 2 Weeks Ago Once, Then Each Day Getting More, Happens Am / Pm Whilst Walking Or Sitting Down, Laying In Bed Or Standing Up, Started To Use Deep Heat To See If Muscular Pain - We'll See.

Reply Flag this Discussion

79 Replies:

• Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 07:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Might be a meniscus injury
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 04:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Still no joy, sharp pain in left knee happens more often now, perhaps 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes then nothing for hours or even a day or two, then it happens again.Happens when asleep, sitting down, walking, anything, no set times or what she is doing to trigger it off.Check out the date, this has been going on for 2 years now
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2008
    • 00:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Still no joy, sharp pain in left knee happens more often now, perhaps 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes then nothing for hours or even a day or two, then it happens again.Happens when asleep, sitting down, walking, anything, no set times or what she is doing to trigger it off.Check out the date, this has been going on for 2 years nowThis is exactly what has started happening to me. I don't have any injuries that I know of and have not seen a dr yet. Have you gotten any answers?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 28, 2008
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having this problem for a few months myself. Same exact symptoms. I have a history of muscle tension and was seeing a physical therapist but my new insurance doesn't cover it. I don't remember having this problem when I had physical therapy... do you think that it could possibly have something to do with a tight or pinched tendon?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2008
    • 08:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • its happening to me now too.. almost exact same syptoms but mine is more in the front/bottom of my knee cap.. best guesses that me and all of u some how fractured a very small part bone in our knee and tha bone is jus floating around and everyonce in a while it pokes u..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2009
    • 07:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just developed this problem today exactly the way it was descripted by royall
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 09:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am extremely active, with no history of knee injury, and when I walk, an occasional very sharp pain under my left kneecap, no rhyme or reason why it comes, then goes so quickly. I am trying a neoprene knee sleeve, but no help. No clicking or popping, or stability giving out. Just fleeting extremely very sharp pain. HELP!! lakearnp@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 06:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I literally was eating breakfast at a restaurant, got up from it to pay the bill and started having problems right below my left knee (about an inch to the right and inside) Its an extremely sharp pain and I can't walk. Its starting to get sore, and the pain feels like its under the bone? I feel like its something that popped out of place somehow...Nothing I did should have caused this. SO i really feel this is strange.Has anyone found out why this has happened to them??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2009
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can relate!! I went to work for 5 hours, I was on my feet all day -no problems. I go home, get out of my car, walk around my car and I get an extreme sharp pain in my left knee! Feels like it's underneath my knee cap. I noticed when i straighten it, it doesn't pop but it hurts some, and it hurts the most when I put weight on it. And when I keep it bent, it doesn't hurt hardly at all.I have no idea what it is, I'll probably have to get an x-ray tomorrow. If anybody else has experienced this and had a remedy please reply!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2009
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am glad to find this site. This is exactly describing what I am experiencingover the last two months. This pain is also on my left knee area; it is sosharp and stabbing that I feel if I would be driving and had the warning (which is only about 5-10 seconds) that I would need to pull off the road immediately; the pain is that intense. I also am female, just turned 60; I have had a couple of big falls in the last few months (due to ice, mud, etc--NOT related to a physical problem such as dizziness) so perhaps there is a piece of cartilage floating around and periodically causing me problems. It is disheartening to think that "royhall's" wife is still having the problem 2 years later. Posters, what do you think? Is this something that time will resolve, perhaps by walling off an offending piece of "whatever"? Oh by the way, I agree that this pain seems to come on with no provocation; I can be laying in bed and the pain will be activated. So far, luckily, it has not happened when I am asleep.I have a history of breast cancer, so of course, unexplained pains tend to ramp up my anxiety level, not to mention the biggest problem--it is altering the way I am living my life.
    midwest 1 Replies
    • February 21, 2009
    • 05:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• hey guys, this happend to me recently aswell although it was in my right knee, what all of your guys problem is, that your knee is stressed, and you are all getting this stabbing pain from too much stress to the knee, its nothing serious at the moment, and yes it does get more consistant everday, basically as i said its stress to the knee through physical activity wheter it be moderate or vigorous, if you guys would like this pain to go away and not become anything serious, i suggest getting a very good knee brace that you can purchase for $40 for a good one, and in about 2-3 days it should stop, i got all this information from my phys ed teacher, because i recently started an excercise program, so he knows his stuff, let me know how it all goes, thanks guys...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I feel like I could have wrote all these posts myself! My leg (left) will be perfectly fine - I can walk, run, etc. Then randomly about a dozen or more times a day I will get an extremely sharp pain in the kneecap for about 5 -7 seconds then it will go away and I'm fine. Doesn't seem to matter if my leg is straight, bend, moving, still, etc. It seems totally random. I see all the other posts about this but no answers. Has anyone ever figured anything out? When I see my doctor for my regular visit this summer I will ask her, but have a feeling she will just think I'm nuts!!I don't remember any type of injury to that leg either. I am 40 years old and not overweight or in bad shape at all. It just happened one day about a week ago and never stopped. I'm scared about the people it's been happening to for years!! oh no!!!
  • I seem to be in the same boat as the rest of you here, with the "Exact" same symptoms as Tusk and the rest of you. I'm a 45 year old male who is about 25 pounds over weight, (I weight 205 and should be around 180).I started getting these symptoms three months ago but the first time it happened it lasted for about a week and then went away for about 2 months, but for the last 3 weeks i've had the sharp pain on and off pretty much every day.I did go see my doctor and she put me on Celebrex for the pain along with Tylenol Arthritis if needed and she also ordered X-Rays of the left knee. I was told that it could be a number of different things but she suggested I also do as much exercise with the leg as possible. So for the last week or so I've started biking and doing leg lifts and crunches.I've found that the exercise does help some along with ice packs and some Oil Of Wintergreen at the end of the day, but the problem still does persist and until I go back to see the Doctor in a months time I still have no idea of what's causing it, other than her possible diagnosis of Osteoarthritis.If anyone else has any Idea of what this may be please post.Thanks Dave
  • Thanks for replying Dave - I hope you get some answers. I haven't been to see a doctor yet but will ask at my regular check up this summer. The past couple days I'd say I've been getting the pain about every 20 minutes or less unless I take Ibuprofen and I hate to keep taking that all the time. I think I'm just learning to live with it! :) Maybe it's just getting old? I hope someone gets some answers. It almost feels like a nerve - I can't figure out what else would just flare up like that and go away so quickly. Keep us posted everyone!!!
  • My knee pain turned out to be Chrondomalacia, and it sounds similar to what the OP's wife was feeling. Mine isn't for a few seconds though, it just never really goes away.
    ChronicNate 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am also experiencing a very strong, sharp pain in my right knee at random times throughout the day. The pain comes fast, lastes for a few seconds and leaves. The pain is also located somewhere towards the outside and under my knee cap. It is the most intense sharp pain I have ever felt, similar to back spasms but more centralized to a location around the knee cap. The pain comes mostly when I am sitting still not being active. I am very active playing soccer and slow pitch softball, but no injuries to my knee have ever occured. The pain has been occuring for about a month now.Any answers on this condition?
  • I'm 26, male, and active playing soccer and slow pitch softball. My knee started with the extremely intense pains under my knee cap at random times about a month ago with no apparent cause. It mostly happens when I'm sitting at rest, then BAM, sharp pain very similar to back spasms occur for a few seconds. I have to grab my knee and hold back a scream it is so intense. I've read about the different types of arthritis and this doesn't fit the mold. No swelling of any kind or red marks. Just random intense pain under and to the side of my knee cap.Answers for this would be of tremendous help.
  • I too am having the numbness on the left side of my left knee and sharp pains when I kneel. It started about 3 years ago when I was crawling on my knees under a house I bought and was putting down plastic moisture barrier. I got on some gravel. Anyway since then I have had occasional knee pain when I would kneel. I then began to progress into the numbness on the side of the knee, the sharp pain (feels like a nerve) over my knee when I kneel and when I touch my knee in some spots it has began to be painful. I am beginning to feel it also on the inside bottom area of my knee now. I have also began to have an uncomfortable feeling in my knee most of the time. The pain is unbearable. If I forget and kneel (putting weight) on the knee, I jump up instantly. I could not stand it for a long period of time. I am finding this blog has helped me understand this is not so uncommon, but I did not find any answeres to what I can do to help my situation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2009
    • 01:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well it's been a few months now and I can luckily say that I rarely have any pain in my knee. I don't understand why it's stopped, and I never did find out what was causing it as the doctor wasn't quite ready to order an MRI just yet.
    StingRMan 3 Replies
    • August 12, 2009
    • 10:12 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement