Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

16 year old with severe stomach pain at belly button

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 20, 2007
  • 01:58 AM

My 16 year old daughter has had severe stomach pain for the last 2 months. She complains of severe pain at the point of her belly button. The pain litterly bends her over in pain. She has an extraordinary pain tolerance is normally very healthy.

She underwent a endoscopy which showed a mild hiatal hernia and reflux (which we knew of before and had been treating with nexium).

She is very athletic and her symptoms get worse with activity, running, jumping, etc...

Her blood work is normal. Her urine tests are all normal.

Does anyone have any ideas? The doctors are on a await and see mission, and I don't think she can handle much more of this. We've been to 2 doctors, and had 3 emergency room visits for this.

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• This is 80-90% proven short term fix. Go to an Indian grocery store and ask for Heeng. It is some kind of pungent dried juice. It is part of some curries. may cost less than five dollars. Take this dried juice (very small quanty, mix 1 spoon of water thoroughly. Apply the water to belly button. The pain shall go away in 30 minutes. Try if this works for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • appendicitis? umbilical hernia?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • My daughter has an epigastric hernia (which is right above the navel), but thankfully it doesn't generally cause her any pain. She's had it since birth. I would think if it were a different type of hernia (as the last poster suggested) the doctors would have caught it by now. Maybe she has other stomach issues? Has she had a colonoscopy? Do you suspect anything like IBS, or something? Does diet at all play a role?
    sylvie 31 Replies Flag this Response
  • Rad: we are like-minded today....go figure. "running, jumping": Chronic appendicitis. INSIST on a barium radiology study. ENDOSCOPY will NOt show that the walls of the appendix have thickened or thinned... I believe. Do this simple test: While lying down, find your daughter's midpont between the hip-bone and the belly button on the right side,(slightly higher than the ovary). This is what is called Meckle's point. Press on it, hold for a second or two, and see if she feels any pain when depressed. After holding in for a few seconds, let go. If it hurts like that, it is a sure sign of appendicitis. Get to a surgeon, quick if this happens. I am sure a pregnancy, ectopic, has been ruled out? It should have been if you went to the ER. A few other guesses would be a possible ovarian cyst, or perhaps PCOS. Does she have terrible acne? I am guessing no weight gain if she is very athletic. Could possibly be an obstruction of the intenstines. In a way that is what appendicitis is. Could be endometriosis. I really think it is likely appendicitis. The Mayo Clinic Website has a good description of chronic (not acute) appendicits. What people (and it appears most doctors) do not realize is that appendicitis just doesn't "appear" over night! The pain, might. The pain often starts around the belly button and kind of moves around till it localizes in the Meckle's point. But please....if it is appendicits, keep an eye out for other things....that is how all of my problems started. If the pain continues, you may very well have to choose "elective" surgery to find the cause. If so, they may choose to "electively" remove her appendix. Then you wil know for sure. I do not know of a non-surgical cure for chronic appendicits. I hope you find some resolution for your daughter. Please let us know.
  • You said she has a hernia. If tissue gets caught in it, it can be VERY painful. Have they done an MRI to see exactly what is or isn't stuck in the hernia? How did she get the hernia? - Is she obese in the abdomen? - stretching bursting tissue can be painful also.
  • A CT scan would rule out many of the problems listed above.
  • A colonscopy should be done as well. If you press and let go and the pain worsens when you let go, then there is something wrong with the colon or small intestine.
  • She had a CT Scan today....40 spots were found on her lungs. They say this is what could be causing her pain. We go for lung biopsies next week.
  • Please let us know the results of the biopsies. We are all with you in spirit. Maybe it's some fungal or bacterial thing that can be cleared up soon.
  • She had a CT Scan today....40 spots were found on her lungs. They say this is what could be causing her pain. We go for lung biopsies next week.Be careful with interpretation of lung biopsies, as they are often not definitive. I know -- I was diagnosed with lung cancer via a biopsy of a growth on my lung, and had the upper lobe of my left lung removed. I post-surgery pathology, the growth was found to be nonmalignant. The doctor said he thought it was bronchiolitis obliterans. If you are told it is malignant, please go to the best cancer treatment center you have access to, and consider nonsurgical as well as surgical interventions. All the best to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2007
    • 02:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 16 year old daughter has had severe stomach pain for the last 2 months. She complains of severe pain at the point of her belly button. The pain litterly bends her over in pain. She has an extraordinary pain tolerance is normally very healthy. She underwent a endoscopy which showed a mild hiatal hernia and reflux (which we knew of before and had been treating with nexium). She is very athletic and her symptoms get worse with activity, running, jumping, etc... Her blood work is normal. Her urine tests are all normal. Does anyone have any ideas? The doctors are on a await and see mission, and I don't think she can handle much more of this. We've been to 2 doctors, and had 3 emergency room visits for this. Hi- did you ever find what was the cause of her pain? Our daughter is having the same symptoms and had ct test, urine and blood wrk done all came back clean. She does have a little hernia which they said was okay. Doyou have any answers? Thanks
    tami69 1 Replies
    • February 7, 2009
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Well I could be totally off here, but do you think it's possible that she has Gallbladder disease? I say this because I suffered from pain and nausea for years and no one even thought to check my gallbladder until I had had many useless procedures. They diagnosed me with acid reflux, but after having my gallbladder removed all signs of reflux went away. Here are some symptoms, but keep in mind it can be different for everyone, because I didn't have even half the symptoms on this list. Sporadic pains in the middle of the upper abdomen, or just below the ribs on the right side.The pain may spread to the right shoulder or between the shoulder blades.The pain can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting and sometimes excessive wind.The attack can last from a few minutes to two to three hours before getting better.The frequency and severity of attacks is very variable.Attacks can be triggered by eating fatty foods such as chocolate, cheese or pastry.It can be difficult to distinguish the pain from other diseases, such as: gastric ulcer, back problems, heart pains, pneumonia and kidney stones.I hope your daughter starts feeling better soon, and I wish your family well. :)
    WhiteWave 1 Replies
    • February 8, 2009
    • 07:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 16 year old daughter has had severe stomach pain for the last 2 months. She complains of severe pain at the point of her belly button. The pain litterly bends her over in pain. She has an extraordinary pain tolerance is normally very healthy. She underwent a endoscopy which showed a mild hiatal hernia and reflux (which we knew of before and had been treating with nexium). She is very athletic and her symptoms get worse with activity, running, jumping, etc...Her blood work is normal. Her urine tests are all normal. Does anyone have any ideas? The doctors are on a await and see mission, and I don't think she can handle much more of this. We've been to 2 doctors, and had 3 emergency room visits for this.I am going thru the same thing and have been since i was 18, im 27 now. The doctors seem to cant find what is going on. I feel her pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2010
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Celiac disease runs in my family. Please check it that too. Alot of drs misdiagnose it. My dad and sister had severe cramps as well.
  • I am going thru the same thing and have been since i was 18, im 27 now. The doctors seem to cant find what is going on. I feel her pain.My boyfriend has very similar symptoms. He was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost four years ago and is still having sever stomach pain at his belly button. I would be very interested if they ever figured out what was causing the pain in the girl, or if you find any answers. We've been through hundreds of tests and the doctors still have no idea!
  • She had a CT Scan today....40 spots were found on her lungs. They say this is what could be causing her pain. We go for lung biopsies next week.I am praying for her for quick diagnosis and healing of whatever this is, hang in there
    Pandarhonda 2 Replies
    • January 16, 2011
    • 02:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same symtoms. Mine started last month and that episode lasted 10 days. I went to the ER and 3 different doctors and no one had a clue. They just told me to drink a lot of fluids. Then yesterday, I had the intense pain again and went to yet a different doctor. I was in so much pain that I couldnt even stand up straight, I was very bloated, and when I laid down the pain was intollerable. As before, the tests all came back normal and the doctor told me that it was "normal" for women to have pain like this....which I thought was completely ridiculous!! I am a healthy person who never goes to the doctor! I eat right and exercise regularly & I know this is NOT normal for me! So she scheduled a CT for me in a couple of days, but today when I got up I had little to no pain. It seems like there is something in me that is irritated & has flare ups, because even when there is no pain, I am still very tender when the pain was. I am totally at a loss and completely frustrated with the doctors that I have dealt with. If anyone has any ideas that would be great...
  • I have the exact same symtoms. Mine started last month and that episode lasted 10 days. I went to the ER and 3 different doctors and no one had a clue. They just told me to drink a lot of fluids. Then yesterday, I had the intense pain again and went to yet a different doctor. I was in so much pain that I couldnt even stand up straight, I was very bloated, and when I laid down the pain was intollerable. As before, the tests all came back normal and the doctor told me that it was "normal" for women to have pain like this....which I thought was completely ridiculous!! I am a healthy person who never goes to the doctor! I eat right and exercise regularly & I know this is NOT normal for me! So she scheduled a CT for me in a couple of days, but today when I got up I had little to no pain. It seems like there is something in me that is irritated & has flare ups, because even when there is no pain, I am still very tender when the pain was. I am totally at a loss and completely frustrated with the doctors that I have dealt with. If anyone has any ideas that would be great...My 14 year old daughter has been suffering for about a year with many of these same symptoms. the first 2 episodes were so dramatic and expensive, my husband and I were at a loss to know what to do or how to help her. ER department diagnosed her with a bladder infection (WRONG!!) even we knew that much! CT came back normal, blood work was normal etc., but the amount of PAIN she was in was NOT NORMAL. She just had an "attack" yesterday, and it was the worst yet. Family Doctor gave her a shot of Toridal to manage her pain, she then slept for 6 hours. She had been in complete agony for 12 hours. she seems fine today. Her symptoms were: No fever, plenty of vomiting, no nausea, no headach, lots of nonspecific abdomenal pain. the only thing I can see related to this at all is she is an A type personality and sports tryouts are next week? Somehow, I think stress is triggering these symptoms, I just don't know what they mean. We have tracked her menstral cycle looking for a pattern for a condition called mittelschmerz - we thought this was it, but then it happend out of sync with her cycle and we had to cross it off as a possibility. It's hard to watch a child suffer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2011
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 14 year old daughter has been suffering for about a year with many of these same symptoms. the first 2 episodes were so dramatic and expensive, my husband and I were at a loss to know what to do or how to help her. ER department diagnosed her with a bladder infection (WRONG!!) even we knew that much! CT came back normal, blood work was normal etc., but the amount of PAIN she was in was NOT NORMAL. She just had an "attack" yesterday, and it was the worst yet. Family Doctor gave her a shot of Toridal to manage her pain, she then slept for 6 hours. She had been in complete agony for 12 hours. she seems fine today. Her symptoms were: No fever, plenty of vomiting, no nausea, no headach, lots of nonspecific abdomenal pain. the only thing I can see related to this at all is she is an A type personality and sports tryouts are next week? Somehow, I think stress is triggering these symptoms, I just don't know what they mean. We have tracked her menstral cycle looking for a pattern for a condition called mittelschmerz - we thought this was it, but then it happend out of sync with her cycle and we had to cross it off as a possibility. It's hard to watch a child suffer.Mittleschmerz is not a condition, it's ovulation pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2011
    • 07:00 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement