Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sores in the corner of mouth

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: bec_walker
  • June 19, 2007
  • 10:02 PM

My boyfriend has cracks in the corner of his mouth on both sides. It isn't cold sores because it never blisters. It burns like a cold sore and hurts when he opens his mouth wide. It normally starts off when he is dehydrated. I put Savlon on regularly as well as moisturiser but it never seems to go away completely.

It will go away for a week or so, and then come back. It gets red and sore, and makes it difficult for him to have a shave. But even when he uses an ordinary razor and shaving cream, it's still difficult to shave because of the sores.

I don't know what causes this but obviously I don't like him being in discomfort. Thanks in advance for any help.

By the way, thanks for all your responses in my previous "yellow tongue" topic. It appears to have gone away for now!

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• This is a very specific symptom of folate deficiency. Folate is found in dark green leafy vegatables. It is most common taken as a supplement in the form of folic acid, typically in a 400 or 800 mcg dose. It is included in a b-complex. A good b-complex taken twice a day, preferably a sublingual methylb12 tablet because b12 and folate deficiency often go hand in hand. Zinc, A&D, E, C will also aid the healing and make sure that everything needed is present. Other vitamins could help too.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds like what I get which is a simple yeast infection on the corners on my mouth. See if a little antifungal cream won't make it go away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • angular cheilitis ...Candida try anti-fungal like monistat
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thankyou both for the suggestions. If it ever happens again I'll give it a try. They healed fully in ten days after starting the methylfolate, the natural coenzyme form of the vitamin. It corrected my folate deficiency healing those as well as at least being in progress on my blood and finished off the IBS. Methylb12 helped a lot cutting down the frequency and the intensity. The whole area is scarred with my history going back to early childhood. While these sores may become infected, with herpes, bacteria or fungus, they are considered a hallmark symptom for functional folate deficiency, regardless of what the test levels are. So the real test, as with the coenzyme b12s, is to actually try the folate and see if it works. As the cause of deficiency may be a failure to convert folic acid to methylfolate, presence of folic acid supplementation and/or "not-low" folate level doesn't rule out folate deficiency just as serum cobalamin levels can't rule out functional b12 deficiencies. Folic acid might work, methylfolate is more likely for some, along with needed cofactors for healthy tissue generation. If folate works then the sores would not be there for getting infected or need other treatment. Of course herpes is it's own problem needing it's own treatment. They can also increase the risk for aids under some circumstances. If possible it's better to prevent the problem than have to treat the secondary problems over and over again.
  • My naturopath told me to use Campho-Phenique and now they have "Cold Sore Treatment for Scab Relief". I know you don't have a cold sore, but it heals cracks and scabs.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • My boyfriend has cracks in the corner of his mouth on both sides. It isn't cold sores because it never blisters. It burns like a cold sore and hurts when he opens his mouth wide. It normally starts off when he is dehydrated. I put Savlon on regularly as well as moisturiser but it never seems to go away completely.It will go away for a week or so, and then come back. It gets red and sore, and makes it difficult for him to have a shave. But even when he uses an ordinary razor and shaving cream, it's still difficult to shave because of the sores. I don't know what causes this but obviously I don't like him being in discomfort. Thanks in advance for any help. By the way, thanks for all your responses in my previous "yellow tongue" topic. It appears to have gone away for now!I ad the same problem. My doctor presciped "Kenacomb Otic Ointment" Used only once a day. It works very quickly.good luck, Anneke
  • Thank you Freddd for your input. I had them on the corner of my mouth as a child and my father, an MD, told me they were a vitamin B deficiency as well. I remember taking it and they promptly disappeared. They have come back again recently after putting myself on a strict diet of yogurt and basically nothing else - not a good way to loose weight I am finding! I had forgotten what vitamin deficiency caused them so after reading your posting I now remember. Thank you! They are very painful and I've had to cancel quite a few dentist appointments because of them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2008
    • 08:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had some small cracking on my lips for a about two weeks. I had been feeling really run down and was on antibiotics for 10 days for a sinus infection. Four days later I still felt sluggish and I had a really bad cracked sore on the corner of my mouth. It was really bothersome. I was putting antibiotic ointment on it as well as Hydrocortisone 1%. Nothing really helped. I decided through internet searching that my iron might be low. Monday I started upping my iron and it is now Thursday, it is gone and I feel so much better! On Monday I started taking two 27mg Ferrous Gluconate vitamins, I had eggs for lunch and I had chicken soup for dinner. Tuesday I had 2 vitamins, Total cereal, 2 eggs, a big spinach salad, a bunch of broccoli, and beef for dinner. Wednesday I had more cereal, more vitamins, broccoli, and pork. In addition I had other things too:) Plus I have so much more energy!The things that I can contribute to the lower iron that normal, is large pot of green tea (leaving the tea bag in the whole time) that can sap iron absorbtion, family stress (my hubby found his birth family after 42 years), friends going through a divorce, working out and not resting, not eating well, trying to eat less meat because of $ (going back to beef!)I hope this helps anyone who might be suffering from the sore cracked corner of you mouth!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2009
    • 01:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • if it appears after you have taken a series of antibiotics it's gonna be candida.
  • http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=16621
  • I have the same problem, although I orginally thought it was a cold sore, in putting the cold sore cream on, it became infected and spread. Swab result came back negative for the Herpes Simplex virus, turns out it was a staff infection. the doctor gave me the 'kenacomb otic' ointment and within the space of 7 hours it has cleared up really well.I'm also taking Keflex to kill the virus.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2010
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My situation was exactly the same as the original post: the sores show up after I've been dehydrated and won't go away. I took the Foliate advice (400mg each night) and it's crazy how fast it's clearing up. Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2011
    • 08:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What has worked for me is one Chromium Picolinate tablet every day. It has worked flawlessly for 15-20 years. I ran out once last year and thought I'd wait to order when I needed other things. Within 4-5 weeks, the cracking sores returned after all these years. That's certainly proof for me that Chromium Picolinate is a bonified successful treatment. Very cheap also, if you buy them from Swanson or Puritan's Pride.Mike
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2011
    • 00:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thankyou both for the suggestions. If it ever happens again I'll give it a try. They healed fully in ten days after starting the methylfolate, the natural coenzyme form of the vitamin. It corrected my folate deficiency healing those as well as at least being in progress on my blood and finished off the IBS. Methylb12 helped a lot cutting down the frequency and the intensity. The whole area is scarred with my history going back to early childhood. While these sores may become infected, with herpes, bacteria or fungus, they are considered a hallmark symptom for functional folate deficiency, regardless of what the test levels are. So the real test, as with the coenzyme b12s, is to actually try the folate and see if it works. As the cause of deficiency may be a failure to convert folic acid to methylfolate, presence of folic acid supplementation and/or "not-low" folate level doesn't rule out folate deficiency just as serum cobalamin levels can't rule out functional b12 deficiencies. Folic acid might work, methylfolate is more likely for some, along with needed cofactors for healthy tissue generation. If folate works then the sores would not be there for getting infected or need other treatment. Of course herpes is it's own problem needing it's own treatment. They can also increase the risk for aids under some circumstances. If possible it's better to prevent the problem than have to treat the secondary problems over and over again.So, I have had this happen to me a few times throughout my life. This recent time it was after drinking the Naked fruit drinks, the blueberry one that has tons of vitamin B. I had been drinking the 32 oz ones a day which is 4 servings and like 1000% of some of the vitamins, and like 5000% of vitamin c. Is it possible that over use of the vitamins can cause it, just like the deficiency?
  • I was suffering from the painful sore/crack on the side of my mouth for the past month. It was driving me crazy. You would just expect these things to heal on their own and dissapear after a while but sometimes they dont. Its so irratating because its painful and looks horrible. Anyway, so after about 3 weeks of ignoring it I went to the doctor to get some ointment or cream to get rid of it. The doctor said those creams never work and he had a treatment he used for these things for years that always worked. Im not sure exactly what it was called that he used but I guess it was someting similar to liquid nitrogen (used to burn off warts etc) and he shoved that right into the sore. It hurt like ***l. By the time I got home the side of my lip was all swollen and purple and looked about 10 times as bad. He said something about this stimulating the healing process and should be gone in several days. However, a week later it was still there and I was left with an even bigger sore. So went back to a different doctor who prescribed me some cream. Its like a paste and is a combination of zinc paste, cortizone steroid & antifungal cream. I put this on yesterday for 3 hours and then again before I went to sleep. I woke up today and the whole thing is practically gone... just a little redness left. This stuff is amazing. Cannot believe how fast it worked after having put up with this thing for so long. So in my experience I could not recommend this more. I felt the need to post this on this forum because I have alot of sympathy for those suffering the same sores. And I used this forum myself. Its suprising how something so small and insignificant can impact on your life.Goodluck!
  • This sounds very similar to what I had for 3 weeks or so. I ended up having a dentist appointment and he said it was angular cheilitis, which is caused by a fungus. It can be caused by a few things, but my dentist says it was likely due to anti-biotics I was taking. It seems like they kill some of the 'good' bacteria that is normally in your mouth and this allows the fungus to grow.My solution was eating a LOT of yogurt for all the pro-biotics that help restore order. He also gave me a dental paste to help it heal. Prior to going to the dentist it was getting worse and worse, a few days after shoveling in yogurt, taking a multivitamin (cant hurt), and using the paste whenever I was home, and it was really clearing up nicely.Also, try using some vitamin E heavy lotions to help scaring after it has healed a little. Good luck!
  • Angular cheilitis is caused by folate deficiency and sometimes b12 deficiency. Some people have paradoxical folate deficiency which means they have folate deficiency caused by folic acid and/or folinic acid and/or food based folate in some symptoms. Folic/folinic acid can block Metafolin (the active form called methylfolate) and actually induce deficiencies causing onset of cheilitis within days. When the folic/folinic acid is discontinued and Metafolin taken instead the cells can start healing within 3 days and complete in a couple of weeks. When the cells breakdown they leave an opening for infections, bacterial and fungal. When caused by folate and/or b12 deficiencies there are usually additional symptoms. For instance IBS and diarrhea are often present as well, nausea, headaches, other skin problems, acne type lesions, etc.
  • It's probably from his saliva. Seeing as they come back very often it would make sense.
  • So, I have had this happen to me a few times throughout my life. This recent time it was after drinking the Naked fruit drinks, the blueberry one that has tons of vitamin B. I had been drinking the 32 oz ones a day which is 4 servings and like 1000% of some of the vitamins, and like 5000% of vitamin c. Is it possible that over use of the vitamins can cause it, just like the deficiency?Hi Unregistered,Since my earlier posts I have learned, the hard way, that some people including perhaps 20% of the population , myself included, have paradoxical folate deficiency induced by folic acid, folinic acid, various "folinates", and even vegetable food source folate. These can block out 10x or more of the Metafolin from being effective. So, I have had multiple episodes of paradoxical folate deficiency, each one with angular cheilitis, allergies increasing, and IBS if I don't correct it soon enough. A drink such as that if it contains folic acid (calcium folate etc) can completely block the active methylfolate in my body causing all sorts of problems.
  • I had the same problem! I've actually had it for a few days now..It all started with a numbing, weird feeling on the corners of my mouth before I went to bed one night. I woke up with these hideous bumps on the corners of my lips. I hadn't any idea what to do, so first reaction, I took benadryl. It put me out for a couple hours, and when I woke up, they were almost gone..But then they came back about a half hour later. I went to see my pharmacist, and she told me to try Benadryl cream, or herpacin L. I've been on Benadryl for almost a week now, and the bumps have begun to crust over..I asked around, and sure enough, It has something to do with Vitamin C. I may be allergic to citrus, or I could just have a deficient amount of Vitamin C. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2011
    • 09:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement