Discussions By Condition: Cancer

Enlarged & Painful underarm Lymph Nodes

Posted In: Cancer 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 4, 2006
  • 08:52 AM

Four years back I had a mammogram. The result being that apparantly my breasts were too dense for anything to be seen. 3 years back I began to have an uncomfortable soreness that came and went, in my underarm/right side of the breast - especially when typing, reaching for something or clapping - things like that. I first thought I might have bumped myself, but couldnt see a bruise. I had another mammogram and was again just told my breasts were too dense but not too worry. This was when I was living in Ireland. Just before I left Ireland I was asked to go for another mammogram - and duly went to my doctor for the results. I was told that there was no change..I asked if that meant the denseness of my breasts and he said no - that the enlarged lymph nodes were still the same I had never been told that the Lymph Nodes were enlarged at all - but apparantly this was the reason given to me for the painful swellings mentioned above. Now I'm living in South India running a centre for street children and other kids with problems. About three months ago it began again. I noticed it first when leaning on my right arm to watch tv - the ache/discomfort was back. My right breast does feel different than the left one - a few more bumps etc.. and as I'm getting older I am getting a little worried. I have much work to do here with "my children" and have other unpleasantries that are pulling my health down - osteo arthritis, osteoporosis and scoliosis - but can keep these manageable most of the time. The breast thing worries me. I'm not living in the West anymore, and have no idea how womens breast problems are dealt with here. Does anyone else have a problem like this with their breast/underarm ? I would be very happy to hear from you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Since enlarged lymph nodes under the arms can be a sign of breast cancer and you have dense breast tissue, you should get an ultrasound or MRI (which can show the tissue better than the mammograms) of your breasts to rule out cancer. The lymph nodes could also be biopsied to check for cancer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had a growth in the breast tissue. It was nearly imposible to find. They had to do an ultrasound to pinpoint the mass. They found the mass which was benign. I would recommend you have your issue checked.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 06:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you drink alot of tea/coffee? When I stopped drinking so much tea, my breasts became alot less cystic, remarkably so. However, do make sure to do ultrasounds in conjunction with your mammograms. The last two days my underarms iareachy and not sure what to do as I would assume it means my lymphs are overloaded, but not sure how or what to do....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the exact symptoms that you are talking about and also have to have ultra sound after my mamographies as my breasts are very lumpy and they can't see anything. I have noticed that there is a strong correlation between my breast pain and the amount of coffee that I drink. The best thing is to check every avenue.Cheers Christine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2008
    • 04:03 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement