Discussions By Condition: Knee conditions

knee numbness

Posted In: Knee conditions 64 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 3, 2006
  • 03:31 AM

I have a problem with my knees. Right now the outsided of my left knee is numb, however if I kneel on it, I feel horrible pain. I have had this condition on both knees from time to time and it seems to go away, but this time the numbness is on a larger part of my knee. I did not injure it, but it just happens from time to time when I kneel on a stair or floor to get up, and then I notice it. Any suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

64 Replies:

• Did you get any answers to your problem because I have the same thing. Also I had Polio when I was 4 I am now 62. I was only paralized in the leg area. And recovered OK. But I am wondering if that has anything to do with this problem. Sandy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have it as well and was significantly overweight for a long period of time and have been diagnosed with arthritis. The numbness and tingling, burning are all new symptoms.
  • I actually have this to however I was in a car accident and my knee hit my dashboard of my mini van (lower dash under steering wheel) so hard the paint was on my jeans. now on the left side of my knee its totally numb and when i kneel by accident its awful bad pain like someones stabbing me in the side of my knee. I have an appointment tuesday july 3rd and after I go I'll post my info here again i had trauma and impact on my knee but its numb all the time walking standing showering anything its always numb it grosses me out when i touch it cause theres some swelling in one spot and strangely enough it itches alot. I'm not sure what has happend in there but hopefully i get it fixed easily with pills or something i'm a big chicken so a needle is a scary thought or surgery. Thankfully thats all that happened it was me and my 3 y/o in the van my poor baby seen it all. it was the other persons fault they pulled out in front of me turning left and i was doing speedlimit of 50 and well i creamed him. my van is totalled and now i sit here waiting for rides it sucks but i will be getting new vehicles and my doc bills paid which are already over $8000.00 plus my pain and suffering i cant hardly even bath my kid cause what do most moms do kneel on side of the tub to wash there hair etc...... anyways hope every one is feeling better in the knee area that can be a big pain.Shannon :eek:
    shanit 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm curious to find out what you learned, Katie. I have had this condition since suffering a fall last month. Doctor told me it was bursitis and that it would go away on its own. I didn't ask how long that would take, though.
  • I was just in an auto accident in my mini van on 7/6/07/. I already had patellar tendonitis in my left knee and I hit that same knee on my dashboard in this accident. I have a huge bruise on my entire knee plus a small cut. The side and some of the front is numb. I am really worried about this. I am seeing my orthopedic doctor on Thursday and hope I don't need surgery. I also have a big bump on the side of my knee. I will post what happens after the appointment.Ann
  • I have a problem with my knees. Right now the outsided of my left knee is numb, however if I kneel on it, I feel horrible pain. I have had this condition on both knees from time to time and it seems to go away, but this time the numbness is on a larger part of my knee. I did not injure it, but it just happens from time to time when I kneel on a stair or floor to get up, and then I notice it. Any suggestions?When I read your post, I thought I had written it because I am experiencing the exact same thing. I have not had any kind of fall or injury. I first noticed it a few months ago when I was laying some tile. I had already noticed the numbness then when I was on my knees and put pressure, the pain was almost indescribable. It's almost as if it is just under the surface of the skin but at the same time deeper than that. It's similar to the feeling you get when you hit your "funny bone" on the elbow. Anyway, I had hoped that someone would have posted an answer but I found none. It seems that several of use are experiencing the problem but nobody has an answer or solution. Darn!
  • Hi. When you kneel, is it like a stabbing pain? Also, does anyone get a kind of burning feeling on the outside of the knee?Thanks.Marcy
  • i'm 16 and i have this weird feeling in my legs, knees, and elbows its a numb, twingly, and weak feeling.
  • Hi. When you kneel, is it like a stabbing pain? Also, does anyone get a kind of burning feeling on the outside of the knee?Thanks.MarcyOkay seriously I noticed the inside of my left knee being numb about three weeks ago I thought it was pretty neat and have been telling people all about it yes I know Neat should not be a way to describe it but any how, in the last three days any time i stand from sitting or strech my legs or take a step there is this horrible burning shooting pain in the numb area that is enough to send me rolling around on the floor.I have had no injuries to that knee I weigh 125 I am five seven not overly active and 23 I have had no injuries what so ever to cause the numbness and this pain is insane.does anyone have an answer to this yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • When I read your post, I thought I had written it because I am experiencing the exact same thing. I have not had any kind of fall or injury. I first noticed it a few months ago when I was laying some tile. I had already noticed the numbness then when I was on my knees and put pressure, the pain was almost indescribable. It's almost as if it is just under the surface of the skin but at the same time deeper than that. It's similar to the feeling you get when you hit your "funny bone" on the elbow. Anyway, I had hoped that someone would have posted an answer but I found none. It seems that several of use are experiencing the problem but nobody has an answer or solution. Darn!DITTO....I have the exact same thing going on and both of you describe it as I would word for word. It feels numb to the touch just below my knee cap but on the side of the knee. When I kneel down the pain is unbareable!!!!ANYONE have an answer? I am active and play a lot of golf with no problem but I am concerned it will get worse!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2007
    • 10:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • DITTO....I have the exact same thing going on and both of you describe it as I would word for word. It feels numb to the touch just below my knee cap but on the side of the knee. When I kneel down the pain is unbareable!!!!ANYONE have an answer? I am active and play a lot of golf with no problem but I am concerned it will get worse!I just googled this pain I have been having on the outside of my right knee & this forum came up... This describes my symptoms also! It has gotten to the point I can not kneel on my right knee because of the pain, but it doesn't hurt any other time! Did anyone ever get an answer to waht was going on???Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2007
    • 03:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Sounds like something that I have....femerol cutaneous nerve compression. I have mine after pregancy, but you can get it after car accidents b/c of seat belt injuries. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2007
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you with knee numbing ever had your lower backs looked at. My knee has this type numbing at times and sometimes pains in hips, legs, knee, even the foot, but it is all due to a disc in my lower back that is herniated on one side and degenerative on the other. This condition puts pressure on nerves coming out of the disc being affected and depending on which one it is indicates where and what will be affected. Both sides of the body will usually not be affected at the same time. Just thought this might shed some light for some of you anyway.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2007
    • 03:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've read all the postings and we all seem to have the exact same thing. Numbness in the knee, but no pain until you try to kneel down on it and then it's the worst pain in the world.Has anyone found out what it is??????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2008
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is very bizarre to have so many others describe EXACTLY the same symptoms. The knee doesn't hurt unless I kneel on it, but that pain is excruciating! The outside of my knee is numb. If I press firmly on the tendon just below my kneecap in the middle, the pain on the side of my knee is ridiculous. It feels like a burning, tearing sensation just under the skin to the side of the knee. The only other thing that causes it to hurt is to (don't laugh, our personal trainer makes us do it) bend the leg back quickly -- "try to kick yourself in the butt" -- that sharp flexion hurts a little, but nothing like even slightly kneeling on the knee.I went to the doctor today for a bad cough, and mentioned the knee. He checked it out -- nothing hurt it with all his twisting, etc. He said something about a possible torn meniscus, but the symptoms I read about don't match. He sent me to Xray (which is strange -- that wouldn't show a torn meniscus) and gave me a referral to orthopedics. If I get an answer, I promise to post it here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2008
    • 07:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • About a few months ago I hit my knee on the ground hard during one of my basketball games. Now my knee is numb right over the kneecap and when I kneel down it feels like someone is stabbing me in the knee. There is a little lump where I found the pain comes from and I can move it back and forth with the same pain as when I kneel. It is just like everyone elses. Somebody please find the answer to this problem.
  • OK so I went to the orthopod, and it's not a torn meniscus, because my knee doesn't hurt when it's twisted laterally. He said it was probably an irritated nerve. However, if it doesn't stop hurtning in 2 weeks, he will order an MRI. Since it has hurt for 2 MONTHS already, and there is no treatment going on now, I suspect I will be having the MRI at some point.
  • OK so I went to the orthopod, and it's not a torn meniscus, because my knee doesn't hurt when it's twisted laterally. He said it was probably an irritated nerve. However, if it doesn't stop hurting in 2 weeks, he will order an MRI. Since it has hurt for 2 MONTHS already, and there is no treatment going on now, I suspect I will be having the MRI at some point.
  • I have the same symptoms as everyone else. What I'm being told is patellar chondromalacia. Its softening of the cartliage on the reverse side of your knee cap which eventually frays and chips off. It causes sharp pain in the joint and on the side of the knee as well as numbness due to the swelling in the joint. I'm going for an MRI and surgery for mine and I'm only 26. Hope ya'll get better!
  • Okay seriously I noticed the inside of my left knee being numb about three weeks ago I thought it was pretty neat and have been telling people all about it yes I know Neat should not be a way to describe it but any how, in the last three days any time i stand from sitting or strech my legs or take a step there is this horrible burning shooting pain in the numb area that is enough to send me rolling around on the floor.I have had no injuries to that knee I weigh 125 I am five seven not overly active and 23 I have had no injuries what so ever to cause the numbness and this pain is insane.does anyone have an answer to this yet?I am 30 yrs. old and have not had any recent injuries. I noticed at the end of last year that my left knee felt kind of numb, very little sensation when ever I stroked my knee. Since then I have noticed it becoming more numb. Every once in a while I would noticed a small, shooting pain in the knee- it would come and go usually when I sit with my knee bent. This week I noticed a burning sensation in my knee while I was at work. Ok, so now I am officially freaking out. So I made an appointment with my MD in April. I just want to know what is going on inside my knee!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement