Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Relentless ankle popping

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 16, 2007
  • 10:38 PM

So,
For a few years, my ankles have been persistently popping upon any sort of bending motion. I can literally stand up, bend a little at my ankles and they will pop, wait a few seconds for them to "recharge" and do it again. When I walk down a set of stairs, everyone knows I am coming by the loud snaps that occur with each step.

It's not painful, but quite annoying.. and sometimes the snapping is so strong and sharp that it's almost .. ticklish? I cannot really characterize the feeling.

I've been to a podiatrist twice this year, where asking about the popping had not been the main thing. I've got haglund's deformity, or "pump bump" in my heels, the beginnings of bunions, almost flat feet (my left arch is fallen, though, apparently.. and only the podiatrist who actually got eye level with my feet on the ground could notice), and an extra "accessory" bone in each foot.. Also, both my ankles apparently have an unusually large range of motion, or are wobbly. When asked about the popping, both podiatrists asked if it was painful and when I said not exactly, they say not to worry about it. But it is really, really annoying.

In high school (I'm a sophomore in college now), when I was a bit more active, I did dance. Not too seriously, though. All my dancemates could hear popping while doing the repetitions of jumps in ballet..

Any speculations on a cause for all this popping? And some way to alleviate it? Any?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement