Discussions By Condition: Liver conditions

Life expectancy one can have?

Posted In: Liver conditions 16 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 2, 2006
  • 03:55 AM

I have looked all over for an article to come out and tell me exactly how long one can live with hep c without meds, with meds and also I want to know how SHORT can one expect to live. That last one I only get people to dart around and give me percentages that have nothing to do with what I just asked. Can someone who knows pls answer me truthfully, I can't see you and you cant see me to worry about making me sad, JUST TELL ME! PLEASE. I am a person that wants to know my worst case senario right up front and have friends and doctors that want to tell me the best case senario. Give me my ***n glass half full so I can decide to fill it up the rest of the way myself. Thank you ahead of time for being honest, hense friendly. Kay.

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• Hi Kayli, I have exctly the same questions. I am 57 years old, I was diagnosed 10 years ago and I imagine I got Hep-c by virtue of a tattoo I got in the Navy when I was 18 years old or so. I have genotype1 but I tried Interferon with no success and with tremendous unpleasant side effects. I did do some drinking throughout my life but there were periods spanning years where I didn't drink (alcohol) at all. I have consumed a fair amount of various drugs during my life and I think I'm in stage 2 of Hep-C, which means moderate bridging and scarring. Since I was diagnosed I have completely stopped drinking and I've had 2 biopsies with essentially the same results. I am 5'9" and weigh about 185 lbs. I work behind a desk doing computer repair and get very little physical excercise. I feel very fatigued when I get home from work.Does any body out there know with reasonable clarity how much longer I can expect to have at least a reasonable quality of life?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 00:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have asked my doctor the same question. He gave me a rule of thumb answer. Once your count is over ten million. You have 10 years per stage. I have stage 2 Hep C. I am 53 years old. So acording to this, when I am 63 I will be at stage 3, 73 when I reach stage 4. Stage 4 is suppose to be your last stage so 10 more years is 83.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 05:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It isn't true that stage 4 is "the end" ...Cirrhosis has several stages too and it is debated whether or not it can be reversed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 03:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Kayli, I have had Hep B and was hospitalized in 1980.I was also diagnosed with Hep C in 1995,the doctor said I probably had it since 1980 since that is when I quit drugs..I took the peg intron and ribavirin with no luck,its been 26 years ,I have had thsis I am fairly healthy,but I need some of the newer medicines to work,and fast..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i am twenty six was diagnosed a year ago about to start meds hep c genotype 1a anybody got any advice? i dont know how i got this ***n thing i have no tattoos never did drugs and have only had 2 sexual partners both negative. I just want the truth people
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had Hep C since 1992.My docs say 20- 40 years,Very likely to die with Hep C but from some other cause.
    camille1350 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had Hep C since 1992.My docs say 20- 40 years,Very likely to die with Hep C but from some other cause. I am 58, have had hep c for 40 years. I have stage one fibrosis. my doctors have told me it is unlikely hep c will shorten my life providing I live a healthy lifestyle including good diet, proper exercise, good level of rest, and no or extremely low level of alcohol consumption. Probably not more than two glasses of wine per month. I will let you know in 30 years if they were right. I just read about a swiss study today that said as long as you don't have cirrhosis, drink little alcohol, and don't have hiv or hep b as well, it is likely you will live essentially the same amount of time as a person without hep c. I am 170 pounds 5'9" tall, eat fairly healthy, and get a low to moderate amount of exercise including treadmill and weight lifting 2 to 4 days a week
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 06:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i am twenty six was diagnosed a year ago about to start meds hep c genotype 1a anybody got any advice? i dont know how i got this ***n thing i have no tattoos never did drugs and have only had 2 sexual partners both negative. I just want the truth people :eek:Hi! I am 37 and I have genotype 1a also. I have 5 more weeks of treatment to go. The truth about how you got HEPC, from what I have read and been told from several Dr.'s, it can harvest in your body for 30 years before you show any signs of the illness. Although it is said to have a less than 5% chance you can get it through sexual contact, the people that are showing neg now could be positive later in life. Also, you can get HEP C from sharing a tooth brush (bleeding gums). These are just some of the many reasons why it is so hard to determine how you got it. I had the same question about how I got it when I was first diagnosed and honestly from experience, you already have it - that is a fact. What you should concentrate on now is the treatment and hope it works for you. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI visits and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainty that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI appts and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainity that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times.
    cbmcisaac 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have looked all over for an article to come out and tell me exactly how long one can live with hep c without meds, with meds and also I want to know how SHORT can one expect to live. That last one I only get people to dart around and give me percentages that have nothing to do with what I just asked. Can someone who knows pls answer me truthfully, I can't see you and you cant see me to worry about making me sad, JUST TELL ME! PLEASE. I am a person that wants to know my worst case senario right up front and have friends and doctors that want to tell me the best case senario. Give me my ***n glass half full so I can decide to fill it up the rest of the way myself. Thank you ahead of time for being honest, hense friendly. Kay.I cant answer your question exactly but i contracted hep c in 1987 and still have no severe repercussions from it bill 53 year old white male
  • :eek:Hi! I am 37 and I have genotype 1a also. I have 5 more weeks of treatment to go. The truth about how you got HEPC, from what I have read and been told from several Dr.'s, it can harvest in your body for 30 years before you show any signs of the illness. Although it is said to have a less than 5% chance you can get it through sexual contact, the people that are showing neg now could be positive later in life. Also, you can get HEP C from sharing a tooth brush (bleeding gums). These are just some of the many reasons why it is so hard to determine how you got it. I had the same question about how I got it when I was first diagnosed and honestly from experience, you already have it - that is a fact. What you should concentrate on now is the treatment and hope it works for you. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI visits and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainty that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI appts and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainity that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times.Could you tell me if you had to give your self shots of radiation in your stomach. My Daughter is just starting on 2 drugs. + shots. I am afraid the radiation is going to do permanent damage. Thank you for your reply
  • Hi, I just found out a year and a half ago that I have Hep1a. I think I've had it about 3 years now. I'm 27 years ago. My doctors tell me that if I don't quit drinking, I'll be in a hospital bed having my stomach being drained off by the time I'm 45. I don't really have any symptoms. I'm just scared. It's kind of hard to cope with. My GI doctor told me not to worry about it for the next five years. They are supposed to come out with some more treatments that are supposed to add 20% chance to your success rate of getting rid of it. I work at a clinic where I draw blood. I see people that are in their 40's and are very very sick but you can tell they don't take care of their body's. Then again I see people that are 50 or 60 and are just finding out and having symptoms to having it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2011
    • 01:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i am twenty six was diagnosed a year ago about to start meds hep c genotype 1a anybody got any advice? i dont know how i got this **** thing i have no tattoos never did drugs and have only had 2 sexual partners both negative. I just want the truth people Is it possible you may have gotten it from your mother at birth?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2012
    • 01:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 27 and found out a couple years ago that I had hep c. I had a blood transfusion in 1984 which is how I probably got it. I can't figure out much about the life expectancy either. I'm too much of a wimp to try a drug that may or may not heal me with bad side effects. But I'm trying to take care of my body and just heard of something called castor oil. They say soak a piece of flannel in it (wear old clothes b/c it stains) and put it over your liver area. It's supposed to increase circulation and liver function. I'm also eating wheat germ and taking Sylmarin. I figure whatever the life expectancy maybe I can make mine better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2012
    • 02:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have Hep C and stage 4 chirosis and have been through the interferon treatment twice with neg. results. I'm 52 this year. The doctor told me today that if I eat right, exercise regularly, don't ever drink alcohol at all, for any reason, I can get another 20 years out of this body. Hopefully between now & then they'll come out with a treatment that works. so between now & whenever, however I die, I choose to live every day to it's fullest. We never were promised tomorrow anyway...
    mdally 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi! My mother, 64 yrs old, was diagnosed with HepC recently. She was on a treatment for about two weeks. Basically, the treatment is suppose to be a 6 months process and is suppose to cure this virus 100%. Sadly, she wasn't able to complete the treatment, instead the medication is torturing her. She changed completely after two weeks of treatment. Before the treatment she was very independent and now she is not able to take care of herself. I am very sad and worry for her, I don't know what I can do to help her through this mess. Can someone help me? Will she get back to normal again? I don't want her to go through this pain. :eek:Hi! I am 37 and I have genotype 1a also. I have 5 more weeks of treatment to go. The truth about how you got HEPC, from what I have read and been told from several Dr.'s, it can harvest in your body for 30 years before you show any signs of the illness. Although it is said to have a less than 5% chance you can get it through sexual contact, the people that are showing neg now could be positive later in life. Also, you can get HEP C from sharing a tooth brush (bleeding gums). These are just some of the many reasons why it is so hard to determine how you got it. I had the same question about how I got it when I was first diagnosed and honestly from experience, you already have it - that is a fact. What you should concentrate on now is the treatment and hope it works for you. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI visits and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainty that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times. The treatment is so terrible and it doesn't even work for a lot of people. So they go through the sickness for nothing. The treatment is some of the hardest poison you can put your body through for a year. I have been in and out of the hospital, ER, Dr.'s offices, Quest, etc. because the medicine has so many horrible side effects and because of my normal monthly GI appts and blood work. I have had several other biopsy's, gland infections, my hair falls out in clumps, I am so tired, winded and dizzy all the time, I have chronic stomach and back pain and spasms - and that is on a good day!!! I can't work and I am very sick ALL THE TIME! The good news is the medicine is working for me. My Dr. told me with 90% certainity that I will be cured for good once treatment is finished (because I tested neg. on my blood work for HEP C one month after treatment began). Despite the terrible treatment, I am very lucky. You should focus on getting a support system in place to help you through the treatment. You are going to need it!!!!! I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry this is happening to you. I realize it is not fair, but you have to stay very positive throughout the treatment process and communicate very well with your Dr. don't be scared to tell him/her exactly what is going on with your body and mind at all times.
    Charlie Helena 1 Replies
    • November 6, 2012
    • 06:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have looked all over for an article to come out and tell me exactly how long one can live with hep c without meds, with meds and also I want to know how SHORT can one expect to live. That last one I only get people to dart around and give me percentages that have nothing to do with what I just asked. Can someone who knows pls answer me truthfully, I can't see you and you cant see me to worry about making me sad, JUST TELL ME! PLEASE. I am a person that wants to know my worst case senario right up front and have friends and doctors that want to tell me the best case senario. Give me my **** glass half full so I can decide to fill it up the rest of the way myself. Thank you ahead of time for being honest, hense friendly. Kay.First of all remainl tranquil, people can live 50-60 years with Hep C... and without treatment. Live life do your normail activities.Practice safe sex and watch who you tell. That is the main issue, I would suggest do not go around telling strangers you have HEP Cthere is a stigma associated with HEP C and you life can become ****.When you say hey to your best friend there is something I would like to share... and you tell them they run for the hills.That would be my only strong suggestion... if your family is supportive tell them... There are many many support groups...Each situation is different.. I told some of my friends about 50% do not associate with me. I was instantly taboo a drug user.A doctor cut himself during surgery and spilled blood into me.. He was not aware he was exposed and I was exposed.. I found out 1 year later..Yes you will have good days and bad days... down the road... There are medications to help... SEE A DOCTOR>>> LOOK UNTIL YOU FIND A DOCTOR THAT REALLY CARES>>> and get support. apply for benifits NOW>>>>SOcial Medicare etc.. Get the ball started now.. Dont wait....The doctor office is the best place to go... reading all these doom and glllonnnnnnm,mmmmm stories on the internet is NOT HEALTHLY OR PROACTIVE>>> My first time I jump right on the internet and was in shock for weeks. Until I found a wonderful specialist... WHo change my outlook about the disease....snd told me to stay off the internet. I was looking up this new drug and your story came up.. Some one gave me this advice when I first went threw the shock.. I was tested 10 times talk about denial....And finally I changed my diet, my attitude about life. Instead of sitting around thinking I dying and all that was not GOOD>>>>I am still here 30 years later age 54 yes there are good days and bad... Flu like issues and I feel really tired... If you need to sleep sleep.In Wikipedia there is a list of famous people whom have HEP C and still going after 40 yearsJim Nabors,Pamela Anderson, Gregg Allman,David Crosby,Natalie Colem.. The disease has it ups and down, eat right, positive thoughts, Stay off the INTERNET>>> is my first advice live life.... Yes you will feel like you have the flu and other issues. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT> YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE HERE UNTIL YOUR 90 Gods Be and Bless you and remember no matter what GOD LOVEZS ZYOU>
    DonDonM 1 Replies
    • February 15, 2013
    • 01:41 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement