Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

scalp pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 8, 2007
  • 01:35 PM

For the past year and a half I have been dealing with extreme scalp pain/dull burning that is accompanied by hair shedding. The pain never goes away and is present all day at points becoming very intense. I have been to two dermatologists and two neurologists who have done blood tests and tried many different medications to try to resolve the issue. I first went to my family doctor and the pain at that point was not that intense what he notices was all the hair shedding. He told me to use rogaine because he thought I just may be losing my hair, I thought this to be odd since I was 23 at the time and there is no family history of baldness/hairloss. He then referred me to a dermatologist for safe measure and then started the assault of prescriptions. I was given several different topical steroid solution to apply to my scalp. The dermatologists then said after about six months that they had tried everything that they could and referred me to a neurologist. I then went through blood tests for Lupus, lime disease, vitamin defficiencies, and a thyroid problem. All tests resulted in no abnormalities. I was then perscribed: neurontin, tegretol, lyrica, amytriptaline, and percocet. None of these have helped at all. The only repreive from the pain comes from submersing my head in ice water and this only lasts for about five minutes. Has anyone heard of a similar problem or an actual condition of this. Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• please add me to the list. I have the same thing same boat as you been all over and have some theories, I also am loosing lots of hair.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2007
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having alot of hair loss accompanied by cronic scalp sensitivity (pain does not seem to be the right word). Can you tell me if you ever got a correct diagnosis and if so what was it and how did the doctors treat?Thanks for any info.Suzanne
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2007
    • 07:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have been having scalp pain/sensitivity. I had twins 4 years ago, and have been having trouble ever since. I don't know if my hormones are imbalanced or what. It may have nothing to do with my pregnancy, only a coincidence in timing. The symptoms vary in intensity with a super tender scalp often very red looking. I have lost alot of hair with some regrowth in the hairline but not much in the crown of my head. Just the wind in my hair, a hat, or my head against my pillow causes discomfort. I haven't been to a doctor about this because my symptoms have come and gone, but lately I am thinking of going because things have been worse. If anyone learns of anything, please post or email me at dancam@imt.net.Thank you,Cam
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2007
    • 05:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Causes of Scalp pain:The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Scalp pain. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms. Cervical migraineCervicogenic headacheOccipital neuralgiaMigraine headacheTension type headacheBrain tumourRheumatoid arthritisCervical myelopathyOsteomyelitisPaget's diseaseHead liceBasal cell carcinomaSquamous cell carcinomaContact dermatitisHerpes zosterCellulitisSee also other causes of skin painScalp injuryHead injury
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 10:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My wife is also having scalp pain associated with hair loss. She is on her way back home from the doctors office as I type this. He did not think there was a problem, and it was a wasted trip. Her pain gets worse at the end of the day. Any solutions yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 16, 2007
    • 06:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There is a gel-filled cold cap or hat that chemo patients use to reduce hair loss. This might help some of the pain.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • October 17, 2007
    • 11:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with Telogen Effluvium (TE) by both dermatologist and general doctor in June of 2007. My TE was said to have been caused by diet and stress. For 2 months I lost 40% of my hair and started to have extreme scalp pain. The pain and hair loss went away at the end of July. The pain came back in the middle of August 2007 and I continue to suffer with extreme scalp pain (pain mostly in 2 spots on each side of the top of my crown area but seems to move around to other areas on my scalp - changes hour to hour ) and hair loss (October 2007). I have had many blood tests completed. Thyroid, iron, hormones and many more. All in "normal" ranges. I am becoming extremly drepressed because of pain and of course hair loss. I'm waiting for one more test for Adrenal Fatigue (cortisol levels). If cortisol levels come back normal??? I feel so so hopeless. If you know of anything to help in my (our) hairloss and scalp pain....please reply.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 00:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have been experiencing occipital neuralgia for 2 years now. a lot of the discomfort has come from muscle spasms which cause the musles to tighten or clamp down on the occipital lobe (nerve) causing radiating pain at the base of the skull and moving towards the top of my head as though someone was holding a magnifying glass above my head in the hot desert sun.i have had gone through taken this to several pain doctors who were quick to point to a slight bulding disc in my c-spine between c5-c6. it was recommended my several dr's that they would inject a "pain cocktail" such as lidocain directly into the disc. I immediately flew from Las Vegas to the Cleveland Clinic with MRI's and CT scans in hand. I was told (by dr's who I feel are the most brilliant on the planet) that in no way was I to receive an injection into my spinal cord. The "bulging" disc was barely pressing on the spinal cord. I asked them to show me my disc on my MRI compared to that of someone who should have cause for such an injection. It was clear to me then there was another issue at hand.It was later back in Las Vegas that a new doctor labeled my problem as Occipital Neuralgia. I have gone through a vast variety of pain meds and done a tremendous amount of research regarding my diagnosis. Currently I am taking 5mg Oxycodone Hydrochloride tablets as needed to manage my pain. I do have some issues with the half life of the tablet and feel that because they burn off to quickly I can reach 50mg per day and am now living at the mercy of these highly addictive pain killers, in fear that w/o them that my headaches will worsen. I am contemplating asking my pain management dr about moving to oxycotin to as not to be taking so much. This I'd like some feedback if anyone has experience or if a Dr could chime in.RELIEF: I have gone through an number of treatments. I can say that my understanding of what is happening is half the battle. Now that I know what is going on I can control some of the muscle tightening which I am certain is causing the bulk of my problems. TRACTION: Physical Therapy offers traction where the weight of your held is pulled from your body. I'm told the human head weighs about 25 lbs approximately and traction is the process where one is hooked up to a machine and your neck is pulled from your shoulders and stretches the muscles to stregthen and relieve pressure. This process has provided the greatest relief above and beyond two years of trial medications and everything else. If I weren't self insured my insurance would cover more of these visits. In just 7 visits I'd say about 40-50% of my pain and headaches were eliminated.In short...try traction. Get to a physical therapist, perhaps a chiropractor if you can find a good one that can show you how to properly stretch the neck and offer heat, ice, message and most importantly TRACTION. Greater Occipital Nerve Block is definately an option I am pursuring but my understanding is it's simply a bandaid, an expensive one, that doesn't last long..any comments are greatly appreciated and I wish all that are struggling like me find relief sooner than later.With much respect for those suffering.Brianbblume74@hotmail.com(please reply if you wish with OCCIPITAL NEURALGIA in subject)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2007
    • 07:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had scalp pain with hair loss. The first episode when I was in my 20s, the second ten years later. Both times my scalp would either flash red or mottle. Both times it began after excessive sun exposure. Both times it occurred near my hair part. I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis with systemic involvement and secondary fibromyalgia.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2007
    • 03:54 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement