Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Tingling/numbness in arms/hands/legs/face/head

Posted In: Nerve conditions 131 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 7, 2007
  • 08:30 PM

Tingling and numbness are basically around whole body, although moreso in the back of head, face and mouth now, after being more all around over two months ago when this started. Sometimes tingling in legs will become extreme when walking.

Extremities seem to "fall asleep" (different than the above numbness) often. A couple of months ago my foot (I believe left one only) several times fell asleep with a distinct centralized "ball" of heaviness/pain for lack of a better description. Had never felt anything like that in extremities falling asleep earlier in my life.

Muscles have little, visible twitches at times, in no particular area (mainly legs, arms, hands and face).

Occasional heartburn-type feeling (has actually been happening for about two years).

Some trembling and inability to make fine movements with hands, although I have never been the most dextrous so it's hard to tell if this is new.

Difficulty balancing at times, but not extremely.

Slight muscle soreness/weakness, especially in hands/fingers. Occasionally on face.

Dark/smelly urine (possibly from infection or directly from whatever is causing everything else). Seemed to have small amounts of uncontrollable urination but not as of late.

Some sudden, inadvertent movements, especially of legs/feet.

General fatigue/tiredness.

I know this is very vague. I went to the ER two months ago and they said it could be pretty much anything from an infection to MS. They didn't do any tests. I'm a 24 year old male.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • A couple of other things that I should add: I do have difficulty with concentration at times, although I don't know if that's just because my mind always wanders, or something new. Caffeine (or at least coffee) seems to make this worse. My vision is poor. It always has been, and it's hard to tell whether it has worsened. I have a little pain in the lower left side (near to abdomen and hip). It isn't really constant though, had it for a couple of weeks back around late March and then it seemed to be essentially gone until the last week or so.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Go to your doctor, and get your vitamin b12 checked, even if you are lacking b12 a little it can cause numbness and will affect your nervous system... (Vitatmin b12 deficincey can have permenet affects after 6 months or so)report back to us if b12 was the/ a problem... I had the same thing, with the numbness, it was more of randoms pins and needles, had for about 3 months but almost never happen anymore, I still get leg jerks in class and stuff it's really annoying..
  • Thanks, I'll have to look into getting checked for that. I think I was reading somewhere that to get out of the B12 deficiency (if it is that) you actually need to be given injections, is that true? I've taken some multi-vitamins lately that I believe have B12, which is why I ask. Thanks again!
  • Those signs that you display are all proof positive signs to MS. I would suggest an MRI right away, if a DR tries to say you need a spinal tap tell them that is BS and you do not need a Spinal tap to check for MS. There are some decent medicines out there if it is MS to put a stop or slow it down to a stand still so that you do not get worse. I get the same sensations you are describing. Your standard Doctor would not know how to Diagnose this disease unless he has previously done it and done his research. Most Doctors only specialize int heir field so are clueless to the rest of the medical society in large. Go here and see if you have some of or all of these symptoms, if you do, get a second opinion and request an MR to check exclusively for a neurological disorder.http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HOM_ABOUT_symptomsI hope this helps, but remember having MS is not the end of the world. people can live long normal lives with MS.
  • Check out Peripheral Neuropathy and BFS Benign Faciculation Syndrome.This is what my Neuro. dx me with. The sad the is my Brother was dx with ALS two years ago, he had the same symptoms as mine for seven years before they dx him with dx. If you are not happy with a Doctor. Get another one.
  • Thank you. When I went to the ER a few months back when this all started, they said it might be MS. Of course everything was so vague then that they didn't want to do any tests for anything. Now I am experiencing even more/worsened symptoms, so it may be easier for someone to believe that there is something wrong. Thanks again for the advice. If I'm able to I'll check for a neurological disorder.
  • Also, I have noticed that I am getting those black "floaters" although it isn't really a spot like some people are saying. It usually appears like a couple of bubbles connected and then a little string hanging down from them. Although I've always had a bit of double vision, it's now to the point where if I stop moving my focus for a few seconds it can easily start to double up. I seem to space out a lot (more than usually) too.Lately I seem to have joint pains, but it could easily just be an extension of the muscle pain. It could also be because of the poor sleep. :) I have been having night sweats, but not very severe at all. That could be from nothing more than anxiety I guess, I'm not exactly drenched but I do feel a difference from normal. I've had a sore throat and some sneezing too. I thought I might have a yeast infection but went to the dentist and he said it wasn't thrush even though the tongue is fairly whitish. Have to trust him on that since he's the Dr. Maybe that's just from all the anxiety too. The twitches are worse now. It's not just little under-skin movements but legs/hands will actually fully twitch now. They seem most prevalent whenever I'm sitting down or lying in bed. Standing and walking around seems to negate them, or at least I don't feel their occurrence. Once in a while I feel them while moving, but not often. Similar to the old twitches in the opening post, I seem to get buzzing feelings. Have been getting a lot more headaches, too. Probably half from anxiety, again. Thanks for any input.
  • Doing some reading... For years I have had Raynaud's, or something very similar to it. My hands have been very sensitive to cold, and they do turn purple/blue, starting mainly in blotches. Now (age 25) and at least since during high school, I remember them getting those blotches even if it is just slightly cold in a room, or outside. Happened at church on Sunday, and it wasn't even really cold there, in fact it was a slightly warm day outside and they had the doors open and fans on, which did make the room a bit cool. I remember rubbing my hands to warm them up and get it off - kind of embarrassing when your hands are full of blue blotches. Then they start to get painful or even numb at the point where I don't remember anyone else having severe issues. Still, I thought this was just normal. :p Or that I was just not good in cold weather, since I've liked warmer weather for quite some time. Or maybe because I've always had thin hands/fingers and figured they were more susceptible to the effects of cold. My ears are also sensitive to cold, but I've never had a chance to look at their color. Do these symptoms also possibly point to MS / FMS? Seems to be a common phenomenon with those two.
  • Doing some reading...For years I have had Raynaud's, or something very similar to it. My hands have been very sensitive to cold, and they do turn purple/blue, starting mainly in blotches. Then they start to get painful or even numb at the point where I don't remember anyone else having issues. Still, I thought this was just normal. :p Or that I was just not good in cold weather, since I've liked warmer weather for quite some time. My ears are also sensitive to cold, but I've never had a chance to look at their color. Do these symptoms also possibly point to MS / FMS? Seems to be a common phenomenon with those two.Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- Immune Dysfunction.Activated by viruses- created by vaccines.look into parasites too.best
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
  • Just right now I noticed purple nail beds. My nail "moons" disappeared a while ago but I haven't noticed the beds being off-colored like this before. :( Thanks for the response, Eatafruit78.:) Can CFS be aided by anxiety? Before these symptoms (other than fatigue) all started coming on one after another, I was going through the worst emotional trauma I've had probably in my life. It hasn't exactly let up now that I'm dealing with that and the symptoms.
  • Yes honey-A car accident, emotional trauma, a virus, parasites,or other high stress situations can really set the clock in motion for a string of "unrelated, undiagnosed, incurable" conditions.You are not alone - :)With faith and courage many look for answers.Read "Never Be Sick Again" - it is the best starter.LoveFruity.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thank you Fruity. Well, whatever it is that's ailing me, I ought to be checked out. It seems that to get a diagnosis of CFS (if it's that) I'll need to take a number of other tests and get clinical diagnoses, to rule out other possibilities. It seems that the same route is required for several of the other possibilities. I appreciate your help. There's a free blood clinic open on Tuesdays nearby here, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it this evening. Even if I did, there's a good chance that won't uncover anything. Of course, if it doesn't at least that rules out some things. :eek: Hey, I warmed up a bit and my nail beds are back to pinkish instead of that scary dark purple. :D
  • You are welcome. Don't be alarmed if the blood tests shows that you might be fighting an infection. With or without an infection- the immune system is under stress.I had that numbness tingling, and next thing I knew I had inflammation and low grade fever. I love to recommend Oil of Oregano, Milk thistle and Dandelion Root tea- you don't need a prescription for them because they are food supplements. You may want to read about them- just in case your symptoms linger.Ciao!Good luck in your journey!Fruity.
  • Thanks Fruity. No inflammation yet, as far as I know. Could just be so focused on everything else as to ignore it. I've felt like I had low grade fevers on and off at times. Only checked it out once (at the start of all this three months ago) and it was normal, if I remember. I'll keep those supplements in mind. I finally realized over the weekend that whatever this is, I should probably be avoiding caffeine, sugar, etc. So I've been heading that way now. No more of my favorite teas (or coffee). But I have been taking chamomile. :) Can't recall the last time I had chamomile, maybe 2001? :p
  • Is Oregano Oil the same as Oil of Oregano? Also, do you have any experience with NaturalHealthSupply.com?
  • Is Oregano Oil the same as Oil of Oregano? Also, do you have any experience with NaturalHealthSupply.com?It should be Wild Oil of Oregano, or Oil of Oregano. As long as the active ingredient on the label is Carvacrol. I don't know that brand- but there ar emany good brands. I used Gaia Herbs, which contains soy lecithin so it is not for everyone as some people don't do well with soy.I hope you get better- make sure you check with a doc. If nothing is found think about going with an Oriental Doctor- that's what I helped me to get better. Acupuncturists understand all that tingling, swelling, low grade fever, anxiety, liver, lungs, tummy things.Best.
  • Thanks for that OoO info. Don't think the page said what the active ingredient was, but maybe I can find out or find it elsewhere. I do want to get to the doctor. There is a free clinic here open on Tuesdays, but I missed it last night. Closed earlier than I thought. :( They don't diagnose or anything like that, but they can check you out and refer you to the right type of place. That's something I'll take since I don't want to spend money I don't have on running around being checked by different doctors until I find out a few years later that nobody can diagnose anything. :D So, next Tuesday, Lord willing.
  • I sounds to me like you have several different things going on. I have Fibromyalgia, which causes tingling in the hands, feet, face and anywhere that I happen to be sensitive that day. There is also a lot of joint pain, especially if someone touches you. (The pain alone will make you tired).My daughter has Restless Leg Syndrome, which causes her to be very tired during the day because she wakes herself up so often (without realizing it). Every part of her body will twitch at different times during the day also. She is much better now that she's on something to help her sleep and control the twitching. Her concentration seems to be much better.My mother-in-law has MS and has started experiencing floaters in the last year and a lot of "wavy vision". She gets steroid shots in her eyes to help with the fuzziness. I would also recommend a chiropractor to help with your hip pain. Also, consider a therapist to help you deal with all the stress you're experiencing. If the doctors don't seem interested in helping you, make some noise. It is their job to figure out what is wrong..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Of course, if they're willing to help, be sweet at honey. Good luck and God BlessM
  • I have had many of those symptoms you describe and it turned out to be anxiety disorder. It turn into full blown agoraphobia. I was later diagnosed with chronic fatigue disorder. That was in 1992. I am much better now and at full functioning. My CF does kick up once in awhile if my stress levels stay very high.Good luck to you
  • Hi two unregistereds. :D It's ironic that you mention anxiety disorder because I was going through a huge piece of emotional trauma before this struck (not that it's any better now, what with feeling sick). The fatigue had been setting in before that, but for all I know that could have been a bit of laziness and/or growing in years. Most other recent symptoms seem to have come on since then. To the first unregistered, yes, it does almost feel like several things are happening. In fact, I was just thinking of that as a possibility the other day. It also seems like some of these ailments with similar symptoms can work in conjunction with each other (of course some have no greater odds with or without the other one present).Now, I have sunburn from a bike ride this afternoon. I take it that one is completely unrelated to anything else though. :rolleyes: God bless you.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement