Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Blue lips with exercise

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 6 Replies
  • Posted By: MelissaM
  • June 7, 2007
  • 01:23 AM

I'm 28 and when I just exercise regularly, all is ok. But when I really push it (especially when recruiting my legs into the exercise), my lips go very blue, I get really tired, and my brain gets a little "foggy". It gets hard to recover from this and keep going (even at a lesser pace).

I eat well, exercise regularly, and get a good amount of sleep. I supplement with a good multivitamin, have had a stress test, chest x-ray, heart ultrasound, ECG, blood work, lung capacity tests,...nothing abnormal shows. These symptoms began to present approx. 5 years ago.

I don't know where to go from here but other than this I can't complain about any other significant health issues.

Any suggestions? I have tried Chinese medicine, several different naturopathic doctors, and a general practitioner. Been to a cardiologist, Ear/Nose/Throat Dr. and none of them can help me. I'm ready to try anything!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I'm 28 and when I just exercise regularly, all is ok. But when I really push it (especially when recruiting my legs into the exercise), my lips go very blue, I get really tired, and my brain gets a little "foggy". It gets hard to recover from this and keep going (even at a lesser pace).Sounds like low oxygen levels while exercising. Did your cardiologist due a stress test to see if he could elicit the same response? I would think that would be the best way to diagnose you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Skip the useless INCONCLUSIVE stress tests and have a heart catheter done with an intervention cardiologist.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 01:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • MelissaMI am experiencing the same symptoms. Did you have any luck with any tests? I was leaning towards having a stress test but you state that resulted in normal results? Thank you.
    3madre915 1 Replies
    • October 28, 2009
    • 03:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you have vitamin deficiencies tested when you got your bloodwork done? Some vitamins can interfere with your blood's ability to transfer oxygen. Even though you take a good multi vitamin, some people can be prone to certain deficiencies (my dad was anemic, so I watch the iron in my diet). Do you eat a healthy diet?
  • It may be cyanosis.
    Twinbird24 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • It may be cyanosis.Cyanosis is the condition of your skin turning blue, not the causation. I personally had this issue today. I am a 28 year old career firefighter, prior military; I eat well, sleep well, exercise regularly, but today I had an issue...While doing Firefighter Survivability training, I began to tire extremely rapidly. The training consisted of crawling around on the floor following a hose line through and under obstacles, while blindfolded and wearing the SCBA. We had stretched 300' of hose and charged it. And began the exercise. Temperature was in the 70's and the humidity was low, so I'm not thinking heat exhaustion. After crawling through a 20' tunnel while pushing my SCBA, I completed the course. When I doffed my SCBA, and removed the mask, the instructors said that my lips were blue, and that my skin on my face had a blueish gray tinge to it. I removed all of my PPE and sat in front of a fan and drank water. But my real problem is this: I was still sweating. I have been acclimated to the heat of PPE and working in PPE. I was well hydrated. I have no history of any kind of heat casualty. And to top it off...I wasn't hot (or clammy.) I just became weak, and felt though I was in a fog. After removing my PPE, and laying in front of the fan I was as good as new, but I gave our EMS people a good scare.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement