Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

degenerative disc disease + arthritis

Posted In: Medical Errors 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 6, 2007
  • 11:19 PM

hi, i have had a painful neck, and lower back for two years, a rheumatologist done a blood scan, also because i had other painful joints, the scan came back 'normal', he wrote and told me gp, and said my pain was psycological. since then what ever i complained about i was told it was all in my head, and due to depression, yes i admit i was depressed, but that was because no-one believed me! so i have been in terrible pain with only over the counter painkillers. i knew i had OA in my knee's thats all. then just before xmas 06, i was getting shooting pains down my legs so i was sent for an x-ray, came back OA in hips, but 'not enough to cause any pain!' said my gp. my big toe was getting so stiff i couldn't walk on it (been painful, gradually getting worse over the year) gp finally said i could see a foot doc.....yipee! then i had a RTA, had mri on my neck i had prolapsed discs and degenerative disc disease, which according to consultant i had had for ages...grrrrrrrrrrr. and was very suprised it had not been diagnosed earlier, so i wasn't going mad after all. i'm due to have an operation now, don't know when yet. 2 weeks later saw foot doc, and now i need op on my toe, it has OA in the base. my ankle swelled up on and of for two weeks, rang help line told to go to A+E, not broken or anything but guess what, i also have OA in that too!!!! saw consultant about neck again, and asked to see my blood scan i had done 1 1/2 years ago, there were dark patches on my knees, hips, toe and ankle i asked what that meant, and was told it showed up inflamation in joints, my neck and lower back showed up black, but i didn't ask why. so why was i told it came back 'normal' , which has made my life a living painful ***l this last 2 yrs. i'm on stronger medication now, but maybe should have been believed and given it alot sooner.......i've changed my gp now, lets hope my new one is better.

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• I also have DDD. I had surgery in February, a lamendecotomy (Spelling) to relieve the pressure on the nerve. I have the same pain in my right leg as I did before the surgery. Currently going to physical therapy and I have an appointment 6/18 with the pain management doctor. I feel as though I am on a merry go round. I asked my doctor to send me to a reumatologist (sp), but my insurance company said I needed to have a blood test first. I also asked to be tested for PAD. So I had these tests within the last 10 days and I'm waiting for some results. Thought I would check out some other things to see if there's other reasons for the pain. My mom had arthritis really bad so I would not be surprised if I had it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi, thanx for your reply, yeh i've heard your lucky if you have surgery and it cures the pain completely, its just the chance you have to take. i'm willing to take the chance, like you, you have too eh! i'm fed up with the pain so much any improvement will be something. anyway don't worry too much if your blood test results come back normal, blood tests only show up certain forms of arthtitis, Osteoarthritis DOES NOT show up in these blood tests, ddd doesn't either, you know your body, and when you feel pain, and i don't really trust x-rays anymore (or its just the people that read them), just don't give up ok, i wish you well, take care and good luck
  • dear unregistered,I feel horrible that your drs treated you that way. how horrible to be blamed it's all in your head when in reality you really had a true diagnosis.degenerative joint and disk disease seems to be escalated at increasing speed I've noticed. more so in the spine area. the few people I"ve heard about that have it in their spine were told they'd wind up in a wheel chair and one guy even had to quite the type of job he was pursuing in college because he won't be able to do the requried lifting. he was going to become a nurse.he has had the chance to have a medical follow up where as I haven't when I was first told a year ago that I have it in my spine and hip.we dont' know the extent of it because an xray found it and i"ve been complaning of my back pain for almost a year before my dr finally ordered an xray.the radiologist is recommending an MRI, but my insurance co. denied coverage and said I needed to do physical therapy first.the copays were too much money for me to afford physical therapy and I'm now stuck with no answers and still waiting. especiallly since i lost my job and my medical coverage.I finally landed a job after 7 months of resting at home and now will get new insurance this coming sept.the pain is getting worst everyday. I can't sleep at night a full sleep wihtout being woken up in excructiating pain. lower pain. it's almost impossible to turn over onto the other side without fear of screaming.I can't take it much longer and feel my back freezing up on me and now it's in my upper neck right where the neck joins to the spine. I'm frightened and don't want to wind up in a wheel chair. what type of surgery are they going to do for you and what is the success rate of it?what type of medications is your dr prescribing for you now? thank goodness you're able to finally get a diagnosis.did your dr say your future will be affected without the surgery?I'd love to learn more about your condition and from the time you first noticed it till your diagnosis.I pray your upcoming surgery helps you.sincerely,linda
    lintek 26 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi linda, sorry to hear your having a real bad time, and you sound a bit like me in so much pain. not quite sure when the op is, but i think it is to with my prolapsed disc's, you see i have nerve damage and entrapment where they are c6 & c7 and impinging at c8 (don't know what that means just copying from consultants letter), but my damaged disc's were affecting my nerves before my accident, because my left arm kept getting pins & needles down it . but i can remember during that year or so that my neck (around about in line with my shoulders) was stiff, painful, and the skin was sometimes sore to touch, i had tingling, pins and needles and numbness (not all at the same time) it got unbearable at times, i remember if i didn't have to go anywhere i would double up on over the counter painkillers and lay down just so i could get some sleep or just an hour with out pain! i cried alot, i think i must have been fighting the depression tablets too, thinking back i was in a bit of a mess, it was just so hard being in pain with no one listerning, even some of my so-called friends had had enough of me, i'd be saying how much pain i was in, but then had to constantly tell 'i had nothing wrong with me' ... very frustrating!!! at the moment my neck is worse because of the prolapsed disc's, i would like to find out if, when they do my op whether they can do any thing with the disc damage, oh sorry babling on again, right the tablets i'm on at the moment are;- co-codamol, diclofenac and diazepam (to relax my muscles) they don't take away the pain ( i'm still in quite alot of pain at times) but i think they help me sleep! i wouldn't really know how much they help unless i stopped taking them lol... i have also heard, for disc damage, if its really bad they can 'fuse' the spine, i don't know, also i'd like to find out, that when they operate, they normally go through the front of your neck, because its safer, but if you have bad disc damage they have to go through the back, so please if anyone reading knows please let me know ( very nervous!) linda i hope you get your insurance sorted because it sounds like you really need an mri scan, my consultant says it shows up so much more, especially soft tissue. do your shoulders hurt.......oh my goodness mine kill at night, not every night but alot! i can't turn over i have to try and rub them, which is not easy because my left arm is getting so weak, i just hope that goes back to normal after the op too, i'm sorry i can't suggest any thing to ease your pain (still waiting for some1 to give me a few tips...lol) i'll keep a look out to see how your getting on, take care, and it was nice to hear from you, it's very easy to think your alone in all this. bye...
  • keep us update unregistered.I don't see a username so I'm using what's there. (smile)I wish you a pain free life.wouldn't that be a great gift?the things we learn to appreciate when it comes to our health suffering.it humbles us. For me it did anyway.Linda
    lintek 26 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ok, here's the thing...my PCP sent me in August of 2006 for xrays and Mri of lower back...at that time was having bad lower back pain...after tests said something was wrong but shouldn't be hurting this bad, and I agree with who said couldn't afford co-pays for PT, I couldn't either. Was sent to PM...in 01/07 and 03/07 was given epidural steriod injections which never helped and has increasingly gotten worse pain since first of year. PM sent me to NS with new MRI...NS got myleogram and CT scan and EMG on right leg...Basically I've been told mild problems at L4L5 and L5S1, along with some arthitis, scolosis(spelling) and DDD, also have scar tissue from Endometriosis surgerys and small cyst on same side kidney...Oh with also degenerative nerve/muscle issues in my leg but not enough to say anything speciifcally...Heres the thing, ins was just cancelled, NS says shes done with me that I'm not at an operating status and PM doc said he had done what he could he was done with me too...So I don't have a specific diagnosis from anybody, have THOUSANDS of dollars in doctor bills, no ins and pain is NOT going away...What do I do? PCP prescribed me one more bottle of pain pills but I"m hoarding them like gold with the liborderm patches that he gave me too cause I"m afraid that I won't be able to get anything else cause I don't have ins and afraid the doc just won't prescribe anything without a specific diagnosis!!! I'm boarding on severe depression here, can anybody help me?
    hopespringsanew 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi, i'm so sorry your suffering, as you read i too went over a year in chronic pain, i wish i could help. i'm from uk and i don't really understand how your insurance works in the us, do you need it for all your medical needs? the thing is what ever country your in, doctors spend years training and studying, their suppose to be there to help and diagnose so that we're not suffering, it's so unfair, and now you have the worry of owing money. as well as being in pain. i'll leave the advice from someone who knows more about med ins etc, all i can suggest is to rest all you can, take your tablets when you really need you ( i say this so that they last abit longer) and warm or cold compress, i'm sure things will work out, and i really hope someone will read your post and can help you. i'm sorry again i can't help, and please, i'll be thinking of you, and i know depression can get really bad without you realising it, i've been there. keep me posted ok, c ya take care mandy
  • Hi linda and hopesringsanew, hope your both well, well saw foot doc yesterday, get results from new x-rays, i have fractured sesamoid bone ( a bone under the base of the big toe) i'm bit fed up, cos i've been walking about on the side of my foot for over a year, just another to add to my list of things that were ignored........grrrrrrrrr. still i'm in a cast now, and it is helping my other problems, like my knees, i was putting extra pressure on my knee by walking on the side of my foot, i still need op on my foot but now if this bone don't fix he said he'll whip it out at the same time, he's hopeing the cast will help so he does'nt have too. i'm at the stage where i really don't care. i'm 41 and feel around 80! it's not just the pain its the stiffness, don't look very flatering when i walk, my neck is like setting to one side, i sway cos of OA in hips and i'm a bit bent,(from scoliosis) so hopespingsanew i do know how you feel, pain wise anyway, (i love your user name ) . linda still not heard about op, hows your neck and back, its so painful when you sit for a while because you stiffen up don't you, i still have days when i think i can't take much more, it just seems if its not one thing its another, but i think from what i've read and heard when you have arthritis and similar it tends to start to affect other joints, that you rarely have just one joint affected, i don't know, i need to find out more i think, maybe i'm just unlucky or just doomed........he he . sorry convo abit bitty, i've taken me good tablets and i have to keep leaving it, then coming back and writing more, its 10.20pm and i'm going to bed i'll look out on how your all doing, sorry i'll leave my name this time linda, just didn't think last time. c ya , take care all, mandy
  • Oh Mandy youre so sweet! My daughter's name is Hope, her middle name anyway and one of Emily Dickensons famous poems is titled "Hope springs eternal" so I just changed it alittle. I feel for you I really do b/c if it's not one thing its another...On top of feeling crappy already I caught a cold or something and feel more crappy!!! As far as the insurance thing, basically yea you need insurance for anything...For example my bottle of pain bills on ins is less than $11.00, the last bottle I bought without ins was more like $28.00...totally unfair...I know that may not be alot, but when youre on a fixed budget to start with it is alot...I struggle with the depression ideas like that $28.00 could have went to my kids school colthes, which we don't have money for!!!
    hopespringsanew 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi all, been thinking ........is there any cure at all for DDD, or do you just wait for it to get worse and worse? what happens to your disc's, will they get so bad that it ends up bone on bone, i'm gonna ask when i have my op (thats if that ever comes around!:mad: ) has anyone had an op to help their DDD or heard of anything that can help. i think my op is just to do with my prolapsed disc, i might ask the surgeon to do me a favour and try and sort out me other disc's while he's there!!! :D (only joking) i'm having one of my bad days with my neck today, it's even hurting my neck to swollow, i have no feeling in 3 of me fingers in me left hand and can only move my neck side to side a little, not up or down at all. and am soooooooooooo fed up with me cast already, iching (borrowed a knitting needle of neighbour,) should be put in one of those boots next week, can't use me crutches cos of me neck, but i think i've got to stay in the boot untill me foot op, which i'll have to have after my neck op, hopespringsanew thanx for reply, i understand more now, seems abit unfair though, i suppose i take our NHS for granted, mind you i sat last night and wrote to the chief executive of the local hospital with my complaints about the way i've been treated for the past 2 years, espeicially by the rheumatologist and the A+E doctor, i have to complain to someone else about my GP, i'll have to find out. don't want them sacked or anything, i just want them to be aware that they can make mistakes and mistakes can change peoples lives, well that A+E doctor........i wish she would....would........break a nail or something, she shouldn't even be a doctor with her attitude, telling me i was wasting her time! and sending me home with a prolapsed disc telling me i had nothing wrong, well she can read me hosp notes now and see i was telling the truth:p . hopespringsanew you can have me e-mail addy, and you can e-mail me when your feeling really down, cos when i was really down i had no-one to talk to, i'm just saying you know where to find me then, take care fellow sufferers, mandy
    mandymoo 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi all, just an update, i've had an awful week with pain etc, now i'm close to cracking! :mad: i've been out of work since last year, and been on benefits, found out the other day i can not claim anymore!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr... my old GP apparently sent in a report (me not knowing anything about this) saying i just had mild/generalised aches and pains!!!! WHAT!!! this was apparently all done before i was diagnosed with my problems, but still after my accident, i am so down, the authority i complained to has now recieved another, i have a copy of the report and i've sent it, which will prove he didn't believe me! i cannot believe what i was reading! i have been on phone all week trying desperately to sought it out, and all they say is their looking into my claim again, why wouldn't they believe him over me, he's a 'proffesional', i hate him soooooooo much, he left me in pain for years, made me feel on top of that..that i was completely mad, and now this, so i have nothing at the moment, i'll have to go back to work but how can i? :( my new doc said they can contact him, just hope they do ! he'll sort 'em out! :D all i can do is wait, see what damage a mis-diagnoses can do! not just mentally but finacially! grrrrrrrrr......... take care all, mandy
    mandymoo 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Please read about Arachnoiditis. I too have DDD & DJD & "A". Especially Hopespringsanew---this may explain why Dr & pm dismiss you. Possibly there is nothing more than can do. Drs I am finding are heartless these days. They should be providing pain relief. This is a struggle I have as well. I get meds but with the pain being constant & only get a Rx for coving the pain 3/4 of the time. Please read arachnoiditis articles. Cofwa is an especially good site & also a support group you can join. Sounds like this may be your problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2007
    • 09:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) hi, thanx for the advice i'll look at this site later, don't have time at mo cos i'm about 2 hours away from going into hospital~~~ekkkk!~~ to have an op on my foot!! :eek: i saw my neurosurgeon last thursday (23rd aug) and he is replacing my prolapsed discs and maybe fuse the other damaged ones :eek: (again!!!) he also found i have DDD in lower back!! i'm still trying to get my benefits sorted, grrrr! thanx for reading and the advice, hope you well, oh and not in too much pain,hi to all soz i've not been on in ages, but i hope your all well, have to go,~~~~so nervous, lol, see ya take care, mandy x
    mandymoo 5 Replies
    • August 28, 2007
    • 08:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I was just told that I have DDD. My leggs went out with severe weakness, (unexplainable). They did an MRI and a CAT Scan. They told me that I had DDD, and other things that couldn't explain the weakness. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am in so much pain. My doctor gave me some pain meds, but they knock me out. I have a one year old to chase. So that doesn't work. Does anyone know if DDD can cause weakness in the leggs?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 08:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone, My husband had a few bad falls a few years ago and we went to my husband's old gp and she kept ignoring his repeated complaints about how his back hurt and it was spreading into his left leg. She kept saying that is was his weight. Being unable to move he gained weight. She told him to walk. After about a year and half, he was unable to go from the car to a shopping center without having to stop due to pain that was off the scale. We swapped him over to a new gp and she immediately suspected that it was nerve pain and put him on a pain med for it. She also arranged for an MRI and pain management. We saw the pain management people within a week and they suspect DDD. WE go for an MRI on sat. My husband may never recover 100% or be completley pain free. When i contacted his old Dr's office they said that they will do a review of his records. We havd also contacted the state medical board regarding this dr. Needless to say, if he had been diagnosed correctly when he went and not poo-pahed about his weight he would be able to stand up for more than a few minutes. If you don't think your doctor is right, see another one. If we had done this my husband might not be suffering right now. We have a dr we like who listens to us and if you ask them a question, they will answer it or get the answer for us.
    neomedia 2 Replies
    • November 20, 2008
    • 01:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement