Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Extreme pain and bruising from blood draw

Posted In: Blood conditions 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 3, 2007
  • 07:42 AM

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can help me. A week ago I got a DUI, went to the county jail, and had my blood drawn. Immediately after my arm was bruised yellow. A few hours later, my arm was painful and hard to move. The day after my arm was EXTREMELY bruised and has been ever since. My arm hurts so badly that I cannot straighten it all the way. It is up at my side almost like it is in a sling. It hurts A LOT to move it. It is still extremely bruised and not getting any better. I am confused, I know people can become bruised after a blood draw and sore, but...This is BAD. I showed it to a nurses of more than 30 years, she said she's never seen a bruise so bad from a blood draw. She also told me that the person probably went past my vein causing the blood to leak out. I am angry because the person taking my blood was very rude. When she was about to take my blood, I said the needle looked like it had blood in it, she said "shut up" and stuck the needle in me. I was later told the needle looked like that because blah, blah, blah, the vile or something inside.. They explained it to me in a way I was satisfied at the time. I don't think they used a dirty needle with blood still in it but..stanger things have happened to people. I will be getting tested in the coming months. Has this happened to anyone else, extreme pain and bruising from a blood draw?? I am getting worried. Also does anyone know of anything to help this heal??? Thank you for any responses.

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• As one that works in a medical office yes this does happen once in a while. And you can rest assured that no dirty needle was used on your arm. That I can promise you. When blood is drawn up into the vial, the needle is then removed and disposed of in a biohazard container, and the vial spun down in order to send off to the lab for testing. The needle has to come off for this all to be done. So you see there is no way they would have used the same needle, plus most all needles even used any more are disposable kinds....even for injections they are disposable ones. Take tylenol or someting like that for the pain, and you may ask about putting heat/cold packs on your arm until the pain subsides. You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that this happened to. If you smoke a lot or various reason, your veins may be hard, or they may roll which also can cause more problems drawing blood from you.Hope this helps and rest your mind.Keep clean and hope your future test are all negative....try hard ok?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • As one that works in a medical office yes this does happen once in a while. And you can rest assured that no dirty needle was used on your arm. That I can promise you. When blood is drawn up into the vial, the needle is then removed and disposed of in a biohazard container, and the vial spun down in order to send off to the lab for testing. The needle has to come off for this all to be done. So you see there is no way they would have used the same needle, plus most all needles even used any more are disposable kinds....even for injections they are disposable ones. Take tylenol or someting like that for the pain, and you may ask about putting heat/cold packs on your arm until the pain subsides. You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that this happened to. If you smoke a lot or various reason, your veins may be hard, or they may roll which also can cause more problems drawing blood from you.Hope this helps and rest your mind.Keep clean and hope your future test are all negative....try hard ok?Don't take Tylenol- Tylenol is very dangerous- it is not explained on the label.I had a similar problem after having a blood test, down to the pain that did not allow me to stretch my arm. It was bent at the elbow, tender and I had big purple/yellow bruise.I was suffering from sever immune dysfuntion of unknown cause. Allergies is a simplistic way to put it- others choose to call it CFS.Alcohol intolerance is a hallmark of this whole connundrum- so better keep reading.If you think that it is infected- take Oil of Oregano, if you are not sure, Oil of Oregano will help you to stabilize your immune system. Also high dosages of Vitamin C, will help a lot. Try ingesting 3 spoons of Virgin coconut oil daily- this helps with the pain and calms and support the immune system.Immune/Auto Immune- it does not have to be Lupus- but you will have unrelated problems and doctors won't be able to explain it through. The might think you need a Psychiatrist as well.You don't have to just try hard- you have to get treatment, real helpful treatment, not tough love talk theraphy psychobabble.Trying to tell a person to stay clear from drugs, it is like asking a baby not to get a fever.Please visit a Doctor of Oriental Medicine who works with NAET and/ or Reiki.naet.com Your intolerance, dependency, problems with substances and weird immune problems like your arm can be dealt with in productive ways.BestFruity(formerly addicted to sugar):)
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your responses. I like the idea of that virgin coconut oil. I went to the doctor and everything is ok, I guess they just blew the vein or didn't apply enough pressure. I don't know if you guys paid total attention to my post, but I never said I have dependency problems. The blood draw was taken at a jail because I got a DUI, a big mistake, but don't be so presumptous!!
  • Glad you're fine now, but for the record Tylenol is just fine. In fact, it is what you want to take for pain and inflammation because it doesn't cause bleeding like aspirin. And for God's sake, don't try a doctor of oriental medicine and their snake oil cures! What a joke! As for your DUI, I have been sober in AA for 27 years so I wish you all the very best in pray that you can find sobriety. You can do it!
  • Glad you're fine now, but for the record Tylenol is just fine. In fact, it is what you want to take for pain and inflammation because it doesn't cause bleeding like aspirin. And for God's sake, don't try a doctor of oriental medicine and their snake oil cures! What a joke! As for your DUI, I have been sober in AA for 27 years so I wish you all the very best in pray that you can find sobriety. You can do it!The Hazards of Painkillers (NSAIDS) by Raymond Francis Painkillers - NSAIDS - (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) have become a significant national health problem. According to data published in Hospital Practice, up to 200,000 Americans are hospitalized every year for problems caused by NSAIDS, and as many as 20,000 people a year die from these drugs. NSAID use carries a significant risk of gastrointestinal damage. In most people this damage is asymptomatic so they aren't aware of it. NSAIDS are in fact doing massive harm to the population, especially to the elderly who are the largest users. NSAIDS, which include aspirin, ibuprofen, indomethacin, ketoprofen, tolmetin, naproxen and others, are among the most commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals in the world. About 60 million NSAID prescriptions are written every year in America. An estimated 14 million people take them for symptomatic relief of arthritis alone. They are usually prescribed for a noble purpose—to relieve pain. But about one third of chronic NSAID users experience noticeable gastrointestinal discomfort, and this is only the tip of the iceberg. To quote from one medical journal, "Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) are well tolerated by the vast majority of patients. In a significant minority, however, gastrointestinal side effects may result in serious complications." Herein lies the problem. Our doctors think it's OK for most people to take NSAIDS so long as they aren't rushed to a hospital with a perforated bowel. As usual, when it comes to the safety of prescription drugs, the doctors are dead wrong! Virtually everyone who takes these dangerous drugs will have their health damaged, and the longer you take them the worse it gets. Studies show that people who take NSAIDS for arthritis over a period of years suffer worse joint damage than those who take nothing at all. This is because NSAIDS block cartilage formation and promote cartilage destruction. In a 1992 study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, long term users of NSAIDS were hospitalized six times more often than nonusers. Deaths from gastrointestinal causes were twice as often, and half of all patients who died of ulcer-related complications reported recent ingestion of NSAIDS. Another large study published in Gut found that in patients who died of NSAID induced complications, 67% succumbed to acute hemorrhage, 9% to gut perforation, and 24% to a combination of the two. A 1996 study in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that patients taking NSAIDS were 4 to 17 times more likely to suffer acute kidney failure. Another 1996 study in the Lancet showed that aspirin in any form, no matter what you do to it such as buffering and coating, will cause gastrointestinal bleeding. In fact, as little as one aspirin can cause bleeding. The combination of NSAID use and alcohol consumption raises the risk of bleeding more than fourfold. NSAIDS damage the tissues in our digestive system, and even a small amount of damage to this complex system is capable of altering the biological balance so as to open the door to a cascade of events leading to maldigestion, malabsorption, dysbiosis, yeast and parasitic infections, and eventually diseases of all kinds from arthritis to cancer to AIDS. Here's one mechanism by which NSAIDS damage gut tissue. NSAIDS work by blocking the action of messenger molecules called prostaglandins. Some prostaglandins cause inflammation and pain while others stimulate healing and repair. NSAIDS block both. Because the intestinal lining has to be replaced about every three days, blocking the repair process over time results in a gut that is weak, inflamed, and leaky. Damaged gut tissue will malabsorb nutrients. You could eat an excellent diet and still suffer malnutrition because nutrient absorption is impaired. Since malnutrition is the leading cause of death in America, adding malabsorption to our already deficient diets is catastrophic to long term health. Another thing that happens when gut tissue is injured is that it becomes more permeable to the large molecules of undigested food as well as to microorganisms. When this happens, allergenic substances and microorganisms can enter into the blood stream and circulate throughout the body provoking chronic immune responses. These immune responses sometimes create antibodies that match certain body tissues. Since the antibody can't distinguish between the two, it may end up attacking the body and provoking an autoimmune disease such as arthritis. In this manner, NSAIDS can actually cause arthritis or make existing arthritis worse, thus requiring more NSAIDS for the pain and putting a vicious cycle into motion. Excessive immune reactions produce a lot of debris called immune complexes that can overwhelm the kidneys and cause kidney disease. NSAIDS also destabilize the normal composition of the bacteria living in the gut, especially when combined with antibiotics. The resulting abnormal gut flora inhibits proper digestion and assimilation of food. This causes malnutrition. Undigested food results in putrefaction in the lower intestines, which produces toxins. These toxins damage the immune system and poison cells throughout the body.
  • Partially digested food remnants, resulting from impaired digestion, are capable of provoking immune reactions. When intestinal permeability is increased, due to damaged gut tissue, these food remnants can gain access to our blood system. This provokes an immune response that contributes to immune overload and may manifest as food allergies or even precipitate autoimmune diseases. Immune function is further damaged when the resulting overload inhibits antibody formation and the proper functioning of our disease-fighting immune cells. If impaired digestion is significant, and remains uncorrected, people can waste away and become more susceptible to opportunistic infections. This is very common in people with AIDS. Once normal gut ecology is altered, it provides opportunity for yeast, fungal, bacterial, and parasitic infections. These new microorganisms, which replace the normal bacteria, do further damage to gut tissue, add to immune overload, and place new burdens on an already overtaxed immune system. They also produce toxins that poison the body, while no longer carrying out the important jobs of the normal bacteria such as producing critical vitamins and fatty acids. In addition to the above, NSAIDS can cause a variety of other problems including effects on the central nervous system such as cognitive dystoreunction, hearing loss, headaches, and ringing in the ears. They can also cause skin rashes and photosensitize the skin making it susceptible to sun damage and skin cancer. NSAIDS can also cause anemia, vision problems, pancreatic problems, as well as liver failure and acute kidney failure. Convincing new evidence links aspirin consumption to macular degeneration, which is the number one cause of blindness in people over 55. NSAIDS also interfere with melatonin production. A 1996 study in Physiological Behavior showed a 75% nighttime reduction in melatonin secretion. This can cause problems with sleep, but more importantly, decreased melatonin production has been associated with cancer promotion. On the bottom line, NSAIDS merely suppress symptoms while initiating a cascade of events with potentially catastrophic consequences. There are only two causes of disease—deficiency and toxicity. NSAIDS destabilize the digestive system in a way that promotes both deficiency and toxicity thereby systematically destroying health. The resulting chronic immune responses throw the body into immune overload thereby depressing immune function and promoting a variety of immune dystoreunction diseases including allergies, arthritis, autoimmune syndromes, and AIDS. What to do if you have an inflammation? There are viable options. From a dietary standpoint, eat a whole food diet that is at least 75% raw. Avoid sugar, white flour, hydrogenated oils, junk foods, colas, and drink plenty of pure water. Avoid meat and dairy, but do consider oily fish such as salmon. From a supplement standpoint, take vitamin C up to bowel tolerance, 2 to 4 grams of quercitin per day, 30 to 60 mg of zinc daily, 100,000 units of beta-carotene for several days and then 25,000 for several weeks plus vitamin A and vitamin E. Essential fatty acids such as Udo's Choice are also recommended. Digestive enzymes and 1 to 3 grams of bromelin a day between meals have proven useful in reducing inflammation. Glucosamine sulfate is a nutrient for joint and connective tissue and has proven more effective than NSAIDS. There are a number of herbs that are anti-inflammatory as well as homeopathic remedies. The point is there are excellent alternatives to NSAIDS so these dangerous drugs can be avoided. Raymond Francis is an M.I.T.-trained scientist, a registered nutrition consultant, author of Never Be Sick Again and Never Be Fat Again, host of the Beyond Health Show, Chairman of the The Project to End Disease and an internationally recognized leader in the field of optimal health maintenance. Subscriptions: Call 800-250-3063 website: http://www.beyondhealth.comemail: mail@beyondhealth.com Copyright 1997, 1999, Beyond Health
  • I had a "peak & through" done a week ago, and my arm, forearm and elbow are still bruised up, as if I've had the world's worst blood-draw job done x10. The bruise runs from the middle of my arm to 3.5 inches past my elbow; the width is almost 4 inches; the color is dark purple, dark blue, gray, and since it's been 8 days ago and it's starting to heal, it's also getting yellowish-green around the edges. I wasn't able to extend my arm without pain until just 2 days ago, and it gets numb and hurts. What hurts most is the nurse saying that I hadn't obtained that size bruise from her drawing blood; she insists I hit my elbow on something, or somebody hit me. Hello!!!! Wouldn't I know if that happened? Also, she says the bruise would be near ''poking site'', and not further down, closer to my elbow. Again, hello!!! She says she's been a nurse for over 20 yrs, but has never heard of gravity.... but just goes to show, an ignorant redneck not only cannot do her job, but has to patronize the patient to make her incompetent self make feel better.... what a ****r!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a "peak & through" done a week ago, and my arm, forearm and elbow are still bruised up, as if I've had the world's worst blood-draw job done x10. The bruise runs from the middle of my arm to 3.5 inches past my elbow; the width is almost 4 inches; the color is dark purple, dark blue, gray, and since it's been 8 days ago and it's starting to heal, it's also getting yellowish-green around the edges. I wasn't able to extend my arm without pain until just 2 days ago, and it gets numb and hurts. What hurts most is the nurse saying that I hadn't obtained that size bruise from her drawing blood; she insists I hit my elbow on something, or somebody hit me. Hello!!!! Wouldn't I know if that happened? Also, she says the bruise would be near ''poking site'', and not further down, closer to my elbow. Again, hello!!! She says she's been a nurse for over 20 yrs, but has never heard of gravity.... but just goes to show, an ignorant redneck not only cannot do her job, but has to patronize the patient to make her incompetent self make feel better.... what a ****r!!!!I have the same problem right now. And, the bruise extends away from where the needle was stuck in me, but does not include the point, so that "nurse" is not correct. I saw the person take the blood and they stuck the needle completely into my arm - no needle showing. Then they took the blood. It really only hurt when he went to take the needle out. Then the next day the bruising and pain started. It's now been a week and I have a painful bruise that extends from my joint to near my wrist. Sounds like we just got some interns who don't know how to take blood.BTW, my blood draw was not alcohol related. But it still baffles me how many people have taken this opportunity to chastise someone and label them because of a DUI. It shows a lack of compassion, professionalism, and understanding. Find another forum to vent your opinions.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 05:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • On Monday last week, I took a blood test to check on my Celiac disease (gluten intolerance). Thankfully everything is fine. However, my left arm isn't!I have never bruised from a mere blood work. Actually, I tool another blood test on the right arm on Wednesday and it went very well.A third of my arm is badly bruised, black and yellow on the top even reaching my bicep. I have also a red elbow. Doctors said "this happens". However, I have received conflicting advice "Put cold" "put warm" "take ibuprofen" "don't take ibuprofen" "take tylenol" etc.Almost a week after that, I am no better despite being put on antibiotics on Thursday (Amoxicillin and glavunate). The pain is bad and prevents me from sleeping. I am considering seeing the doctor again tomorrow, as this never happened to me and seems like a crazy side-effect to a mere blood work.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2009
    • 03:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As one that works in a medical office yes this does happen once in a while. And you can rest assured that no dirty needle was used on your arm. That I can promise you. When blood is drawn up into the vial, the needle is then removed and disposed of in a biohazard container, and the vial spun down in order to send off to the lab for testing. The needle has to come off for this all to be done. So you see there is no way they would have used the same needle, plus most all needles even used any more are disposable kinds....even for injections they are disposable ones. Take tylenol or someting like that for the pain, and you may ask about putting heat/cold packs on your arm until the pain subsides. You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that this happened to. If you smoke a lot or various reason, your veins may be hard, or they may roll which also can cause more problems drawing blood from you.Hope this helps and rest your mind.Keep clean and hope your future test are all negative....try hard ok?I dont smoke and during the time of getting my blood drawn, i was hydrated, therefore not having rolly veins. my arm hurts like a ****h and is bruising. i would go to a doctor, but i was just at the doctors so i dont reall want to go backthanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2010
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for all the great information, the same is happening to my wife and we just do not know what to do or what to think, how long does it take to go away?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thanks for all the great information, the same is happening to my wife and we just do not know what to do or what to think, how long does it take to go away?Hello, I am a veteran phlebotomist, (the person that takes your blood sample) and I instruct a college level phlebotomy certification class as well. The bruise that everyone is talking about in this forum, is referred to as a hematoma. A hematoma is just a fancy word for bleeding under the skin. When blood continues to seep out under the skin, it can appear as a bruise. It can be relatively small, or it can be quite large. The size depends on how bad the injury below the surface of your skin is, and your activity level. As well as other things such as clotting factor etc, but we'll try to keep this simple. A hematoma is NOT supposed to happen! It has only occurred because your phlebotomist made an error while performing the blood draw. Errors are easy to do, but they are even easier to prevent. If the person taking your blood has been properly trained, and they adhere to that training, your procedure should be quite painless and simple. Errors that lead to a hematoma are as follows: inadvertent arterial puncture, piercing the needle through the other side of the vein, poking or probing, (this simply means moving the needle in and out of the patients arm, while also moving side to side and up and down). None of these practices are allowed, and the patient should stop the person performing the blood draw if at any time it becomes too uncomfortable to bear. Treatment for a hematoma is quite simple actually, but differs from person to person. Each method ultimately does the same thing, some just work a little quicker or slower. What I am about to give is simply advice and is in no way a diagnosis. It is, in my opinion, and has been, through my experience, the best way to avoid, treat and care for a hematoma. When you see a hematoma forming is the very best time to take care one. After having your blood drawn, while leaving, continue to apply pressure to the site of the draw. If your arm begins to ache, the blood flow will not stop, or it feels odd, you should return to the office immediately and request that they assist you until it is safe for you to go. If after having your blood drawn and leaving the office, your arm begins to bleed, stop. Stop what you are doing and apply pressure to the site. If possible, with a clean piece of gauze that is big enough to fold over at least once, apply pressure to the exact point that blood is seeping. Hold pressure for at least one minute. You have to HOLD pressure, simply applying a pressure bandage will not be enough. Apply pressure until it is safe to continue with your day. If you notice a small bruise after removing the tape, you should examine it. Is it like a hard lump? What color is it? Is it small, or big? Is it continuing to grow? The last question is key. If you can actually see the bruise growing, apply pressure to the entire area and hold the site above your heart if possible. If at any time, any of these symptoms begin to worry you, you should never hesitate to return to the office for examination. If you do not, or were not able to prevent the hematoma, applying cold packs to the area will help to reduce inflammation, and alleviate some pain. Ibuprofen is also fine to use to reduce inflammation, and manage pain. When taking Ibuprofen, one should always heed the warnings on the bottle before ingesting. Gentle massaging of the area may help as well, it may be quite painful for a little while, but it will help to eliminate the pooled blood in that area of the arm. The bruise consists of pooled blood at that location of your arm. It hurts so immensely because there is no room for extra visitors. As the blood pools and expands up or down your arm, it applies pressure to nerves, muscle, veins and arteries. One cannot bend their arm while it is like this because of the inflammation caused by the pooled blood. I hope that this helps everyone! Do everything you can to keep phlebotomy safe!!
  • Thanks for all the great information, the same is happening to my wife and we just do not know what to do or what to think, how long does it take to go away?PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. I have been researching this problem for my best friend (and babymom) as she has had extreme pain and weakness in BOTH arms as a result of what might be a negligent blood draw. If discovered minutes ago this might be a very serious condition known as "compartment syndrome." See this link:https://health.google.com/health/ref/Compartment+syndrome---------------Excerpt from link:Thick layers of tissue called fascia separate groups of muscles in the arms and legs from each other. Inside each layer of fascia is a confined space, called a compartment, that includes the muscle tissue, nerves, and blood vessels. Fascia surrounds these structures much like insulation covers wires.Fascia do not expand, so any swelling in a compartment will lead to increasing pressure in that area, which will push on the muscles, blood vessels, and nerves. If this pressure is high enough, blood flow to the compartment will be blocked, which can lead to permanent injury to the muscle and nerves. If the pressure lasts long enough, the limb may die and need to be amputated.---------------Will try to keep you posted on what happens with her. I'm going to get her to go to the doc tomorrow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 24, 2010
    • 07:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had much of the same problems as everyone else. Shooting pains up and down my arm, bruising, and a red spot on the inner left side of my right elbow. I was really paranoid at first about what had happened to my arm, especially since I went to the SF city clinic(nasty place). But after getting on here and reading and playing around with my arm myself and trying to figure it out, I'm pretty sure the problem is simply having had my tendon in my arm poked by the needle... the stupid phlebotomist. She stuck the needle in my arm and directly after, let go of the needle and it twisted somewhat diagonally. When the vile wasn't taking in enough blood she proceeded to shove the diagonale needle further into my arm without straightening it probably breaking through the other side of my vein and that is probably when she struck my tendon, and then proceeded to try to draw blood from the tendon. The tendon in my arm is tender and can feel it partway down my for arm and all the way up to shoulder. It sounds like this happens fairly often so no worries mates. Although I did read a comment somewhere by this woman saying she had arm pain for two years after her one bad blood draw. But most only lasted for a month. Hope this helps somebody. I don't know what to do for a tendon injury. Stretch the muscles around it and keep blood flowing through the area I guess. Good luck everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2010
    • 07:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can help me. A week ago I got a DUI, went to the county jail, and had my blood drawn. Immediately after my arm was bruised yellow. A few hours later, my arm was painful and hard to move. The day after my arm was EXTREMELY bruised and has been ever since. My arm hurts so badly that I cannot straighten it all the way. It is up at my side almost like it is in a sling. It hurts A LOT to move it. It is still extremely bruised and not getting any better. I am confused, I know people can become bruised after a blood draw and sore, but...This is BAD. I showed it to a nurses of more than 30 years, she said she's never seen a bruise so bad from a blood draw. She also told me that the person probably went past my vein causing the blood to leak out. I am angry because the person taking my blood was very rude. When she was about to take my blood, I said the needle looked like it had blood in it, she said "shut up" and stuck the needle in me. I was later told the needle looked like that because blah, blah, blah, the vile or something inside.. They explained it to me in a way I was satisfied at the time. I don't think they used a dirty needle with blood still in it but..stanger things have happened to people. I will be getting tested in the coming months. Has this happened to anyone else, extreme pain and bruising from a blood draw?? I am getting worried. Also does anyone know of anything to help this heal??? Thank you for any responses.Hello. I'm a Registered Nurse and have seen this happen before and actually it just happened to me. I had my blood drawn and ended up with a hematoma on my forearm. I too was paraniod. My 4th and 5th fingers are numb but this happens because the hematoma is putting pressure on the nerves underneath. I was told my an ER doctor to apply heat and keep my arm elevated. Yours sounds pretty bad. You should definitely see someone immediately. You can have Compartment Syndrome....the hematoma (bruise) may have to be drained to relieve the pressure. Good Luck and hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2011
    • 10:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well.. Nice to know I am not the only one. Had blood drawn Friday morning and since Friday evening the bruising is spreading, my arm is swollen and I have numbness and tingling in my hand. My arm is also throbbing. Instead of getting better its getting worse. Went to emergency under advice from healthcare hotline nurse and I was treated like a hypochondriac, moron and attention getter. Waited four hours to see the doctor for all of three minutes and he barely glanced at my arm. Threw me a prescription for antibiotics in case it gets redder- cuz that means there's an infection on the inside. I am not impressed with the service or care I received. If this is a normal result for bloodtests then I think I will forgo further bloodwork cuz right now I am definitely worse off!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 06:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Guys,I went to get a blood test last Monday and one week later, my arm is still blue black, red, yellow and green. The injury is not at the spot where the blood was drawn but the surrounding area - covering up to 5 inches away from the needle point.I am getting worried because its doesn't feel good. I am going to get the results tonight and will ask the doctor who drew the blood what the ***l he did to my arm.Someone mentioned that this is the case for people who drinks? Well, I do drink but my last blood test a year ago had neither problem with the results nor my arm!
  • Well.. Nice to know I am not the only one. Had blood drawn Friday morning and since Friday evening the bruising is spreading, my arm is swollen and I have numbness and tingling in my hand. My arm is also throbbing. Instead of getting better its getting worse. Went to emergency under advice from healthcare hotline nurse and I was treated like a hypochondriac, moron and attention getter. Waited four hours to see the doctor for all of three minutes and he barely glanced at my arm. Threw me a prescription for antibiotics in case it gets redder- cuz that means there's an infection on the inside. I am not impressed with the service or care I received. If this is a normal result for bloodtests then I think I will forgo further bloodwork cuz right now I am definitely worse off!!!I had blood work done last night and they took it from my arm between the hand and elbow on the underside. I too am havong the same syptoms only I felt the blood start and stop everytime he would change to vales. Doctor says they hit a nerve and that it should get better. Don't know that I beleive them thou
  • Aug 2014 and my birthday ruined by bad blood draw ten days ago resulting in a huge alarming purple blue to brownish bruise and pain which wakes me up at night. I do not bruise easily and everyone who looks at the size of this bruise is shocked including me. I called my doctor several times and emailed photos so they had me come in back in. Doc also surprised at it, she thought I would be okay, it would take a couple weeks to heal. I also had an ultrasound but I am still worried.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • August 15, 2014
    • 09:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband had a CT scan the other day. The nurse missed his ginormous vein trying to start an IV for the contrast dye...she poked and prodded and if I had been in the room I would have made her stop. My husband said a male nurse then came in and started an IV in another spot with no problems... Now he cannot move his left arm without excrutiating pain. He has a horrible bruise too with a knot. He is miserable.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • August 26, 2014
    • 01:17 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement