Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pretty severe itchy rash after Amoxicillin reaction

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 2, 2007
  • 09:26 AM

Title says it all.
I was to take Amoxicillin for 10 days (prescription by dentist for tooth problem), on day 7 I woke up with a rash around upper torso. By the next day, it had spread full-body except for my head. The rash was spotted with big pink spots that were so thick in places it just covered all my skin.
At this point there actually was no itch, neither did the rash even hurt, felt more embarrassing then anything.
And of course I stopped taking Amox as soon as I saw the rash.

Now I've had the rash since Tuesday morning, it is now Saturday around 2:14am, I can't sleep, the itching is killing me slowly but surely. The rash itself is actually leaving, it is going away in the same pattern it came. Now the rash is really only visible from my knees down.

I have been taking cold showers and not going in the sun so as not to upset it. I have a regular lotion which helps "dry, itchy skin". I also have Califlora Gel as well as Gold Bond medicated anti-itch cream. None of these things are cutting the itching back at this point, it is driving me insane! It feels like pins and needles, I am compelled to at least touch the spot that itches, I am trying not to actually scratch.

The main problem areas are around my joints, elbows and knees. Moreso now at the knees since that is where the rash is worst. I tried sleeping in cotton full length jammies, tried bare-legged, tried putting a fan on my legs to keep cool. I even rubbed Aloevera juice on it but it will not stop bugging me. As of now I've got 15 layers of lotions on it and I can't put any more!

I'm at wits end, if this itching doesn't stop, I can't do anything! Help! What works?

Thanks a ton!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement