Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pretty severe itchy rash after Amoxicillin reaction

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 115 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 2, 2007
  • 09:26 AM

Title says it all.
I was to take Amoxicillin for 10 days (prescription by dentist for tooth problem), on day 7 I woke up with a rash around upper torso. By the next day, it had spread full-body except for my head. The rash was spotted with big pink spots that were so thick in places it just covered all my skin.
At this point there actually was no itch, neither did the rash even hurt, felt more embarrassing then anything.
And of course I stopped taking Amox as soon as I saw the rash.

Now I've had the rash since Tuesday morning, it is now Saturday around 2:14am, I can't sleep, the itching is killing me slowly but surely. The rash itself is actually leaving, it is going away in the same pattern it came. Now the rash is really only visible from my knees down.

I have been taking cold showers and not going in the sun so as not to upset it. I have a regular lotion which helps "dry, itchy skin". I also have Califlora Gel as well as Gold Bond medicated anti-itch cream. None of these things are cutting the itching back at this point, it is driving me insane! It feels like pins and needles, I am compelled to at least touch the spot that itches, I am trying not to actually scratch.

The main problem areas are around my joints, elbows and knees. Moreso now at the knees since that is where the rash is worst. I tried sleeping in cotton full length jammies, tried bare-legged, tried putting a fan on my legs to keep cool. I even rubbed Aloevera juice on it but it will not stop bugging me. As of now I've got 15 layers of lotions on it and I can't put any more!

I'm at wits end, if this itching doesn't stop, I can't do anything! Help! What works?

Thanks a ton!

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Hi - read your amoxocillin rash post. I have just started into the rash stage - how long did it take you to get rid of it? Was there anything you took to get relief - I have a feeling this is going to get alot worse before better!Thanks.
    websrvr 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • you are suppose to see a doctor if it gets that bad..maybe they would give you a shot of cortisone...you should have gone to the ER...I thought dentists usually prescribe other antibiotics for infections..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I have been on amoxicillin for 8 days now for an ear infection and tonsillitis and I am completely covered in this rash aswell. Mine started around my stomach in the evening of day 7 of taking the antibiotics. It Was not itchy at the beginning and is now extremely itchy. I went to see the doctor again and she said it is a reaction to the antibiotic. She recommends benadryl or calamine cream for the itching. The rash is supposed to be gone in 3 days.It started on the stomach and spread on the arms, back and legs overnight. Throughout day 2 of the rash it spread onto my face, neck, hands, palms and feet. I was also suggested to have a baking soda bath to reduce the itchiness.You are not allergic to amoxicillin and most likely will not get these symptoms the next time you take it.Happy Scratching!
    sports.chick.19 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Try taking some benedryl - it will help with the itching and reduce the hives.However, you should have also informed your doctor about the reaction.Contrary to what sports.chick.19 says - you ARE allergic to amoxicillin. As is sports.chick. That is the whole definition of an allergic reaction - you respond to the medication - hives, rash, difficulty breathing. If you or sports chick takes it again, you could have a more serious reaction (anaphlaxis) and die. You need to tell all providers in the future about htis reaction and that you are allergic to this drug .I am a NP
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My daughter woke up graduation day with spots on her tonsils and we thought it was just a cold coming on. At 3 (2 hours before she walked for graduation) I called our doc, described what she had and he called in a prescription for Amoxicillin (she's never had allergies before). Of course being a young one being sick did not stop her from celebrating and traveling as the Amoxicillin seemed to be doing it's job. On day 7 she had small bumps on her face. By day 8 she was covered...face, stomach, back in a itchy rash and her throat had even more white bumps on her tonsils. They did a mono and strep test. Mono negative but strep positive and put her on a different antibiotic. She was also instructed to take benedryl which rendered her unconscious for the rest of the weekend but comfortable. By Sunday night the rash was worse and we took her to our doctor who prescribed Presonozone (sp?) Monday. It's Thursday evening (now almost 2 weeks from Graduation night) and the swelling is gone from her face as well as the rash, her arms are not as red but her legs are purple and her hands and feet are itching something awful. (She mentioned that Grey's Anatomy episode where the guy wanted his foot amputated and she said that she could completely relate). We are going back to our doctor tomorrow. I called today and they said if it was still bad tomorrow to bring her in for a shot. I feel so terrible for her and it makes me itch just from sympathy pains. No one seems to know how long this will last on these posts. I keep making her drink fluids because every medical professional says it needs to "flush" out of her body. She goes to college in the fall.
    saritacoleman 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • you may or may not want to try this. I found out this worked VERY VERY well with chicken pox.... try Aloe Vera with Lidocaine (numbs it some and helps the skin heal) and when that dries put Preperation H on.
  • EVERYONE WHO TAKES AN ANTIBIOTIC SHOULD ALSO TAKE A PROBIOTIC! This will help counter the antibiotic that strips away all the good bacteria in the gut leaving you prone to candida outbreaks... What is one of the symptoms of a candida overload outbreak? Itchy skin and rashes, as well as vaginal yeast infections, diarrhea, gas/bloating, urinary and sinus problems... Please, if you have taken an antibiotic take a good quality probiotic with several strains of beneficial flora: acidophilus, lactobacillus, rhamnosus, and bifidus are just a few. Jarrow makes some good ones. And yes, Amanda is absolutely right you are allergic to this med! Try an oatmeal bath to help with the itching. This can be very soothing. If your itching doesn't go away and/or you develop other symptoms mentioned above, then google candida overload and get a good cleanse like Threelac to help get your body back in balance. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yesterday she had gotten two full hours of sleep the night before due to the constant itching on her feet and hands. She said it felt like pin ****k and it reduced her to tears from frustration. So in the morning we loaded her up and took her to the doctor. They gave her a steroid shot. If someone needs to know the name of the steriod e-mail me and I will call our doctor to find out. They told us is was supposed to speed up the process of getting the amoxicillin out of her body. About 4 hours later the itching reduced to where she was comfortable enough to sleep. I felt the need to post this because no one on any of the boards that I read had ever posted how long it took or what helped to get rid of the rash. The rash is gone from her arms and the rash on her legs is lighting up. (4 days ago her legs were purple) It has been a full week since the rash started but I think she is around the corner. Something to be noted in my daughter's case is that she is on florinef (sp?) for vasal vagel syndrome and birth control. The doctor thought that maybe the florinef on day 2 and 3 of the rash might have caused the swelling to linger longer than someone not on it but he wanted her to continue to take it. If you have this reaction to amoxicillin I would be in real close contact with your doctor and tell them how miserable it is making you. Good luck. It's been a frighting couple of weeks.
  • Yesterday she had gotten two full hours of sleep the night before due to the constant itching on her feet and hands. She said it felt like pin ****k and it reduced her to tears from frustration. So in the morning we loaded her up and took her to the doctor. They gave her a steroid shot. If someone needs to know the name of the steriod e-mail me and I will call our doctor to find out. They told us is was supposed to speed up the process of getting the amoxicillin out of her body. About 4 hours later the itching reduced to where she was comfortable enough to sleep. I felt the need to post this because no one on any of the boards that I read had ever posted how long it took or what helped to get rid of the rash. The rash is gone from her arms and the rash on her legs is lighting up. (4 days ago her legs were purple) It has been a full week since the rash started but I think she is around the corner. Something to be noted in my daughter's case is that she is on florinef (sp?) for vasal vagel syndrome and birth control. The doctor thought that maybe the florinef on day 2 and 3 of the rash might have caused the swelling to linger longer than someone not on it but he wanted her to continue to take it. If you have this reaction to amoxicillin I would be in real close contact with your doctor and tell them how miserable it is making you. Good luck. It's been a frighting couple of weeks. Antibiotics completely ruin birth control effectiveness...just let your daughter know this will happen every time she takes any antibiotic so she uses a back up birth control to avoid an unplanned pregnancy...often women don't know this and their docs don't tell them... Also, a steroid combined with the antibiotic use will impair her immune system, and can lead her to have candida overload as well. Please have her take a good quality PROBIOTIC to help rebuild her immune system and avoid candida overload. This is very safe and will keep her in balance. Glad she is doing better.:) Best wishesDOM
  • Ah! I did tell my doctor as soon as my rash spread and that's what she said! She said it was just a drug side effect. A side effect that normally happened to young children and they probably will not have that side effect again. But there was no way in heck I was gonna take amoxicilling again. And I am going to consult my regular doctor when he is back from holidays. I will also look deeper into my moms medical books.She is an RN.
    sports.chick.19 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the tips. She knows about the birth control ineffectiveness. Without getting too much into her personal affairs I think it's safe to say an unplanned pregnancy is highly unlikely. Her legs are still bumpy with the rash but she's doing much better. This would be day 18.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I developed a rash this morning, and I am simply amazed at how consistent this rash appears to be. This morning was exactly in the middle of Day 7 out of 10 of taking Amoxicillin that the doctor prescribed for my tonsillitis last week. Here's how the day went:Rash started this morning on my torso, chest, shoulders, and elbows. It did not hurt, itch, or sting. It immediately spread to my arms and hands after taking a hot shower. Within the next hour it spread to my neck and face (including my ears).It is now 12 hours later. My neck strings, and the spots on my face have turned to hives. Everywhere else is still red bumps, really thick on my arms and shoulders. It has also now spread to my legs and feet, but it's not bad there.I am seeing the doctor tomorrow at 4pm (to check up on my tonsils and throat). Well, my tonsils and throat are just fine, but this rash is unacceptable, and after reading your stories about how awful and painful it can get, I am going to to outright demand of my doctor that he take every step necessary to eliminate the rash as quickly as possible.I stopped taking Amoxicillin after my dose this morning - I ceased my other antibiotic, Minocyclin (for acne) today as well. I am 19 years old, and I've apparently taken Amoxicillin before to cure tonsillitis when I was about 9, and had no problems. I hope this doesn't last long, I look like a clown and am feeling worse by the hour.
  • Sorry to hear about this Dan. It sounds like you have something very similar to what my daughter had. Her legs are still bumpy and it's been almost 2 weeks since the rash started to appear. Be very clear with your doctor on how uncomfortable you are and they should be able to give you something to speed things up. Benedryl helped my daughter in the beginning after a weekend I think she built up a tolerance to it because it did'nt seem to help after a couple of days. I think the worst of it was 5 to 6 days after the rash showed up that her feet and hands itched so bad she could not sleep. I feel just terrible for anyone that has to go thru this and wish you a speedy recovery.
  • I developed a rash this morning, and I am simply amazed at how consistent this rash appears to be. This morning was exactly in the middle of Day 7 out of 10 of taking Amoxicillin that the doctor prescribed for my tonsillitis last week. Here's how the day went: Rash started this morning on my torso, chest, shoulders, and elbows. It did not hurt, itch, or sting. It immediately spread to my arms and hands after taking a hot shower. Within the next hour it spread to my neck and face (including my ears). It is now 12 hours later. My neck strings, and the spots on my face have turned to hives. Everywhere else is still red bumps, really thick on my arms and shoulders. It has also now spread to my legs and feet, but it's not bad there. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow at 4pm (to check up on my tonsils and throat). Well, my tonsils and throat are just fine, but this rash is unacceptable, and after reading your stories about how awful and painful it can get, I am going to to outright demand of my doctor that he take every step necessary to eliminate the rash as quickly as possible. I stopped taking Amoxicillin after my dose this morning - I ceased my other antibiotic, Minocyclin (for acne) today as well. I am 19 years old, and I've apparently taken Amoxicillin before to cure tonsillitis when I was about 9, and had no problems. I hope this doesn't last long, I look like a clown and am feeling worse by the hour. How long have you been taking minocyclin? Please look this drug up on www.drugs.com for ALL the possible side effects of this drug. It is also possible to have had a drug interaction between the two - there is a drug interactions tab on this website - it is very very useful! In the meantime, do try an oatmeal bath (put some dried oats in a muslin bag and let steep in a hot bath) to sooth the itch, and aloe vera gel. Visit www.acne.org for great info on treating and managing your acne. Antibiotic use, especially long term, can cause all kinds of problems. Google candida overload. It is ALWAYS a good idea to take a good quality PROBIOTIC if you have taken any antibiotic. You can get a probiotic at any good healthfood store. This will help rebuild your intestinal flora, which in turn will protect and strengthen your immune system. Best wishesDOM
  • acuann,Very helpful advice. Worried about clogging my plumbing pipes with oatmeal I picked up something with oatmeal from aveno. It helped her a couple of times along with some clear calamine lotion but when the itching goes beyond the skin sadly there is no cure. My daughter was in complete agony. We did get a probiotic for her and hopefully that will counter any future problems. What a mess this has been! I keep wondering how much the stress from the events (graduation..growing up and moving away) played into this.
  • acuann, Very helpful advice. Worried about clogging my plumbing pipes with oatmeal I picked up something with oatmeal from aveno. It helped her a couple of times along with some clear calamine lotion but when the itching goes beyond the skin sadly there is no cure. My daughter was in complete agony. We did get a probiotic for her and hopefully that will counter any future problems. What a mess this has been! I keep wondering how much the stress from the events (graduation..growing up and moving away) played into this. Stress plays a huge role! Since your daughter is going thru so many life changes I recommend Bach Flower's Rescue Remedy - fanastic for stress and emotional issues. It is a tincture and for generalized stress you put 4 drops in a glass of water and just sip this daily. I used this all through my graduate school, especially when I took exams. Great stuff. You can also place 4 drops directly under the tongue - this is for more acute trauma situations. I once took a fall and thought I broke my finger and was kind of hysterical...my friend immediately gave this to me and I instantly felt calmer. Been using it ever since and always keep a stock on hand at my clinic! One other thing to try for rashes are homeopathic remedies, such as sulfur, or apis...my experience with homeopathic remedies is you need to take them very frequently at first, say every fifteen minutes or so, until symptoms start to subside. Then taper off to several times a day. I love Hylands homeopathic remedies and have used them on my kids since they were babies. They are very safe, and effective if you do the frontloading dosage that I mentioned above. Best wishesDOM
  • I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs, but i forgot this when i took amox. I did the same thing, but my rash came the first night. the next night was unbearable pain from the pins and needles, my legs shaking uncontrollably from them. I decided to go to the ER, and they hooked me up with some strong benadryl (which i soon after passed out from), cortisone and a steroid shot. It is now the next day, and I still have pins and needles. ive tried everything from cream to pills to itching. Ice and numbing seems to work the best, but only for about an hour. go to the ER and they will prescibe some meds so you can heal the quickest.
  • I was on Amoxicillin for 8 days and hives developed. I was covered with huge hives everywhere except my hands and feet. I was in Slovakia where getting medical help was scary, to say the very least. I did see doctors and was prescribed a low dosage of Medrol (Prednisone). It didn't help. By the 4th day, I was having trouble breathing, my lips were swollen, and all my joints were swollen and painful. I finally was put on a heavy dosage of Prednisone (60 mg) for 12 days and have since been cutting back. It has been a month since I last took the Amoxicillin. I'm going to be tested for Amoxicillin in a few days. The itching has almost totally disappeared. Now if only the joint pain would go away. I'm worried that the joint pain will stay with me. Because I was taking Ibuprofen when I was taking Amoxicillin doctors are questioning that I might be allergic to Ibuprofen instead. I don't think so. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    judyrenae 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey everybody....a severe rash from Amoxicillin is not something to watch and analyze. Get to the doctor or ER and get a shot to counter act the reaction. Why, what if the medicine load up in liver, you have other shock reactions. What if you have itching and swelling in your throat and esophagus or stomach or colon. It can happen. Reactions to this drug and sulfa drugs is not just on the outside of you. It is nothing to wait through, sit here and discuss for the next few days hoping it will wear off. Be proactive on this. Yes you should keep your body healthy, but right now take action on what the Amoxicillin drug is doing. I am allergic to Amoxicillin now. Took it for thirty years and then the reactions started. Sulfa products are spooky too. My co-worker's brother died because of penicillin shock. When I worked at hospital, I saw many rushed in for treatment. So don't play Russian Rulette with your life. You will never know when the next pill or injection is the one your body rejects and goes into full rejection mode. Call the doctor -- get the injection to stop the reactions. :eek::eek:
    Abbydoodle 138 Replies Flag this Response
  • Several medications may help ease the symptoms of drug allergy. Antihistamines (prescription or over-the-counter) such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), may lessen rash, itching, and other symptoms. Non-sedating antihistamine include loratadine (Claritin), desloratadine (Clarinex), fexofenadine (Allegra), cetirizine (Zyrtec).Histamine blockers such as cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), or ranitidine (Zantac) may be used for severe allergic reaction.Corticosteroids (cream) can be applied directly to the skin and are very effective.Bronchodilators (e.g. albuterol) are used to reduce asthma-like symptoms.Epinephrine (also called adrenaline) injection is used to treat anaphylaxis.In fact, penicillin and related antibiotics (ampicillin, amoxicillin) have the highest allergic reaction rate of any other drug.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 11:50 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement