Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe pressure/pain in head

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: sweetstrawberry
  • May 28, 2007
  • 09:32 AM

I was diagnosed with migraines about 4 years ago, and was put on topamax 300mg as a preventative (had to get off of it due to the severe anxiety i experienced) and then i have been on this list so far as abortives and none of them seem to work:
maxalt
reglan
relpax
imitrex
erogatmine
fioricet

my symptoms are as of recently: pain/pressure behind my left eye and my upper left forehead, nausea, vision disturbances (ie: mild hallucinations as if things are wavering in and out), severe insomnia, ear pain, nasal congestion(may be un related and due to allergies). The pain is intense and I usually didn't take an abortive, but the pain is making me tear up. Any suggestions? Does nuerontin work well as a preventative without anxiety side effects?
Only medications I'm on is night-time cold/allergy antihistimine, and Inderol.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• As a cluster/migraine suffer, I can relate. I am seen at a major headache center, treated by well known neurologists. I was on 400mg of Topomax and had to reduce to 200mg per day due to metabolic acidosis. Our symptoms are identical. Rarely do I present with right side pain. Tearing may be allergy related and/or vascular. Having tried neurotin for one month years ago, I personally felt funky on it. At the time I was also taking daily narcotic pain meds as a preventative.About 3 years ago I started taking cymbalta. It was recommended due to the added component that is supposed to help with pain. I must stress that everything is trial & error. What works for an individual isn't always good medicine for the next person. However it is a place to start dialogue with your doctor. I receive Botox injections approx every 3-4 mos. I take oxycodone for pain, often boosted with advil and maxalt.I am not pain free, however, it is this complete "program" that permits me to lead a routine life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Medications you listed are quite potent. Prophylactic medications and those used for acute attack are listed here: http://www.emedexpert.com/classes/migraine.shtmlNeurontin sometimes is used as a preventative drug for migraine headache. This drug has very low side effects and drug interactions, so you can discuss with you doctor if you could try it. However, if many meds are not effective for you may be it is worth to try non-drug treatments. Here is a list of alternative therapies for migraines and some clinical studies about them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with migraines about 4 years ago, and was put on topamax 300mg as a preventative (had to get off of it due to the severe anxiety i experienced) and then i have been on this list so far as abortives and none of them seem to work: maxaltreglanrelpaximitrexerogatminefioricet my symptoms are as of recently: pain/pressure behind my left eye and my upper left forehead, nausea, vision disturbances (ie: mild hallucinations as if things are wavering in and out), severe insomnia, ear pain, nasal congestion(may be un related and due to allergies). The pain is intense and I usually didn't take an abortive, but the pain is making me tear up. Any suggestions? Does nuerontin work well as a preventative without anxiety side effects?Only medications I'm on is night-time cold/allergy antihistimine, and Inderol. I too am a migraine sufferer. I feel your pain. Luckily however topamax and the other drugs my Dr. put me on worked for mine. However I did have the same problem with the abortives. I tried every one on the market and the only one that kind of worked for me was Frova... and the insurance dosent cover it! I just have to pray I don't get a bad headache. :) I am also on neurontin, but I am taking it for nerve pain in my feet, and as far as I can tell it might be helping slightly with the headaches, (wish it would work better for my feel) and I have experienced no side effects. Sometimes if you take anti-histamines it can help a headache.. like over the conter Claritin or something. (I don';t know exactly why this works, but my Dr. perscribed some ani-histamines for me to treat semi-bad headaches...even though I was already on ani-histamines for my allergies.) Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!
    Macophile 127 Replies Flag this Response
  • could you possibly have an untreated sinus infection?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you considered your headaches might be due to Basilar Artery Syndrome: You will need medical support if it is. Good Luck, hope you improve soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2007
    • 02:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with migraines about 4 years ago, and was put on topamax 300mg as a preventative (had to get off of it due to the severe anxiety i experienced) and then i have been on this list so far as abortives and none of them seem to work: maxaltreglanrelpaximitrexerogatminefioricet my symptoms are as of recently: pain/pressure behind my left eye and my upper left forehead, nausea, vision disturbances (ie: mild hallucinations as if things are wavering in and out), severe insomnia, ear pain, nasal congestion(may be un related and due to allergies). The pain is intense and I usually didn't take an abortive, but the pain is making me tear up. Any suggestions? Does nuerontin work well as a preventative without anxiety side effects?Only medications I'm on is night-time cold/allergy antihistimine, and Inderol.ask your doctor if you could get an ct scan done.my sister was diagnosed with m.s when she was 17 and also had the same symptoms as you are haveing.im going through the same thing at the moment also.the ct scan will show anthing abnormal.the ct scan that my sister had showed that she had falsesudio tumors behind her eyes and then she had them removed and then was diagnosed with m.s.i highly recomend that you ask your doctor about this.i hope it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2009
    • 11:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you burped today?If so,that could be due to a cell phone tower!
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • February 14, 2009
    • 04:43 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement