Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Tissue swelling in ankle

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 27, 2007
  • 07:25 PM

I have had a swollen and painful ankle for almost 2 months now and my doctors don't know why. I didn't have an injury, just woke up and my ankle was sore. This has happened to me at least twice before on the same ankle in the past 4 years. I also have a very stiff neck and my voice is strained lately. I have some TMJ problems as well.

I have had an ultrasound and no blood clots were found in my leg. I also had a test for gout, but they were unable to obtain fluid, because the ultrasound showed swelling in the tissue, not the joint. The test said "no effusion present". I have tested negative about 5 times to rheumatoid arthritis.

I am on thyroid medication, had deep vein thrombosis in the past, known to have low iron, and high cholesteral. I have oral allergy syndrome - am allergic to carrots, cherries, and many local fruits. I keep wondering if maybe this is some kind of immune problem. I don't know. The doctor says I am an "enigma", great.

One thing that I wonder about - I went to the dentist the night before this happened. Maybe totally unrelated, I don't know.

I used to considered myself a healthy, fit woman who is food conscious and weight conscious. I am very concerned that there is still no diagnosis for this swelling of my ankle, which is quite incapacitating.

Insight anyone?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Hi,I am 26 yrs old and I am suffering from a similar problem.I woke up suddenly one day and found my left ankle swollen and lot of pain on my left knee, calf ankle and the foot, i ignored it initially for the 2 - 3 days applied relispray but of no help.I dont even get sensation of the sprays on the same foot.. I did a X ray & a MRI test both show Tissue Swelling and nothing else.. its been more than a month now. I took second opinion from another ortho but he too had no answers or medication for the same.. all that am being advised are some pain killers and antacids.. Last resort according to my ortho is to put a plaster for 15 days and see how the leg reacts. Am very concerned and worried also the pain is too much while walking, standing or any activity.If you have a solution please do write back to me on nehalohia@gmail.com.Many thanks for all your help in advanceCheersNeha
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2008
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe the swelling is *very* related to your dental visit! I wonder if anyone has thought of hereditary angioedema. Try here: www.haea.org
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • September 22, 2008
    • 05:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have they ruled out DVT in the common iliac vein? This can be tricky to discover with ultrasound but might result in the swelling of the ankle.
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • September 22, 2008
    • 05:46 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement