Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Colitis, hypothyroidism, joint pain?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 27, 2007
  • 11:56 AM

Since 1999 I've been struggling with health issues. In 1999 I started having GI problems, diarrhea, cramps, gas. I was eventually diagnosed with microscopic colitis. In 2002 I developed knee pain. In 2004 got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. 2005 spots on my skin that the doctor said is vasculitis/capiliritis. Now in 2007, in addition to all the other stuff I'm having chest pain in my sternum/ribcage and back. I'm also having pain in my big toe when I walk on occasion. I feel like I've lost range of movement in my upper body. Feel very stiff particularly in the mornings or after a period of being sat still. I have raised CRP and ESR but test negative for rheumatoid factor. Does anyone have any idea what is causing all this trouble? I've seen doctors and they just have no idea but agree something is going on. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Did you have a response to this? My symptoms are very similar and I am curious about it.Jonathan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 06:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I will wave my magic wand and show you what to read... :) No... seriously. Intestinal problems and arthritis go hand in hand. If you pain co-exists with your colitis symptoms you are most likely looking at Enteropathic Arthritis. This pain can show up before or after colitis symptoms. Read more here:http://www.spondylitis.org/about/ibd.aspx I would (since your pain is widespread) look into this:http://www.spondylitis.org/about/as.aspx Ankylosing spondylitis can cause severe ribcage pain and it can also cause pain while breathing. Many people only get this symptom in the morning tho, after sleeping a whole night. There is also a great forum here:http://bbs.spondylitis.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?YYZ=NAVBOARD I have everything you do except the vasculitis. Instead I have hypertension. You can find me at the boards there with the same nick. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 09:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Since 1999 I've been struggling with health issues. In 1999 I started having GI problems, diarrhea, cramps, gas. I was eventually diagnosed with microscopic colitis. In 2002 I developed knee pain. In 2004 got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. 2005 spots on my skin that the doctor said is vasculitis/capiliritis. Now in 2007, in addition to all the other stuff I'm having chest pain in my sternum/ribcage and back. I'm also having pain in my big toe when I walk on occasion. I feel like I've lost range of movement in my upper body. Feel very stiff particularly in the mornings or after a period of being sat still. I have raised CRP and ESR but test negative for rheumatoid factor. Does anyone have any idea what is causing all this trouble? I've seen doctors and they just have no idea but agree something is going on. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! So I'm not alone! Sorry to hear that you have many of the same issues that I have, that I wouldn't wish on anyone, friend or foe. My issues started when I was very young and has gotten worse every time I SLEEP in bed for the whole night. If you DRINK - STOP, or cut down to very very very little. Start taking notes on your health, the things you eat that may cause you to have Pain, all and any thing that effect or/and cause you concern. Don't be afraid to talk to the Doctor(S) , they work for you! But, I'm not a doctor, I'm just an person in PAIN looking for ANSWERS-still. Its like you are telling my story before I was diagnosed with ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS. I also have Rheumatiod Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and Gout. Plus IBS/IBD OR Colitis they haven't came up with an Answer for me yet on that Pain. But look into AS and the HLA-B27 marker,stay active,watch out for Depression and that Your Mind can Help with the PAIN. I'm only 35 and have a SEVERE CASE OF AS, THEIRS A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US ALL AND MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL WHO SUFFER WITH THIS AND THE PAIN THAT COMES WITH IT! KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!true2realj@yahoo.com-Jroc
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 05:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just returned from the Rheumatologist concerning joint pain, weakness and fatigue, along with severe dry eye and corneal irritation. She thinks that is is due to my outbreak of Ulcerative Colitis that I thought was cured three years ago. I found out that UC is never cured, you just go into remission. I also found out that UC can cause joint pain, eye problems, etc... and is an autoimmune disorder. Please do a search on "Colitis and joint pain"...good information. My doctor is putting me on a steroid treatment to see if I have any relief.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2009
    • 07:45 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement