Discussions By Condition: Colon conditions

Constipation, gas, bloating, pain

Posted In: Colon conditions 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Angeliz
  • May 23, 2007
  • 07:06 PM

Hello Everyone:
Well, this isnt the most pleasant topic to discuss, but I see Im not the only one here.:-)
I have been having bouts with constipation all my life. But it was within the last 6 months I have gotten worse and now within the last 2 months is really bad. I have been taking MiraLax everyday just to be able to go and when I go...it is soft and probably about the size of hotdogs or mostly smaller. (sorry to be so graphic..) Sometimes it is a good amount. sometimes just a bit. I seem to have alot of gas with it. I get bloated up to where I look like Im pregnant and I have some pain on my lower left..sometimes my lower right. When Im really bloated the pain is really bad sometimes and I have to lie down. But to pass gas or of course to be able to go to the bath room is a relief. If I set in one spot for a period of time, twist or turn a certain way, or wear pants that are lower cut or somewhat tight, It starts swelling right away and seems to make me more gasy and feeling constipated. My stools are either brown or right now they look like dark green but ive ate spinache and brussel sprouts the last few days and salad. I eat bran cereal as well. My mother had Crohns disease and passed away in March. She had alot of diarreha all her life ..my great grandmother had colon cancer at 78 had it removed and lived to be 93.
So....somewhat concerning I know... But does anyone else have these problems??? I am scared. I was to have a Barium enema last week and found out thru the radiology dept that I shouldnt drink the stuff I needed to clean me out cause I do have tachycardia and PVCs.... So I havent done anything yet.

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• Hello Everyone:Well, this isnt the most pleasant topic to discuss, but I see Im not the only one here.:-)I have been having bouts with constipation all my life. But it was within the last 6 months I have gotten worse and now within the last 2 months is really bad. I have been taking MiraLax everyday just to be able to go and when I go...it is soft and probably about the size of hotdogs or mostly smaller. (sorry to be so graphic..) Sometimes it is a good amount. sometimes just a bit. I seem to have alot of gas with it. I get bloated up to where I look like Im pregnant and I have some pain on my lower left..sometimes my lower right. When Im really bloated the pain is really bad sometimes and I have to lie down. But to pass gas or of course to be able to go to the bath room is a relief. If I set in one spot for a period of time, twist or turn a certain way, or wear pants that are lower cut or somewhat tight, It starts swelling right away and seems to make me more gasy and feeling constipated. My stools are either brown or right now they look like dark green but ive ate spinache and brussel sprouts the last few days and salad. I eat bran cereal as well. My mother had Crohns disease and passed away in March. She had alot of diarreha all her life ..my great grandmother had colon cancer at 78 had it removed and lived to be 93.So....somewhat concerning I know... But does anyone else have these problems??? I am scared. I was to have a Barium enema last week and found out thru the radiology dept that I shouldnt drink the stuff I needed to clean me out cause I do have tachycardia and PVCs.... So I havent done anything yet. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. I have had constipation all my life. I am now getting the right tests. Look up information on Hirschsprungs on the internet, look for university research paper. And no, it is not only for babies. Adults can have it. The only real definitive test for it is a full-thickness biopsy. I had all the other tests. I would go for days sometimes weeks without a bowel movement. For 6 yrs I lives on laxatives, then switched to enemas. Now it is difficult to pass water. Pain, bowel swelling, twisting, chronic constipation is the hallmark of HD. Lack of ganglion cells in a portion of the bowel causes it to seize up, or be permanently ridgid where feces cannot pass. The pain is the bowel trying to pass the feces and the bowel stretching to accomodate the accumulating Poo. There is a procedure called a decompression where a tube is inserted up the colon and water or saline is irrigated into bowel flushing out stuff. It is different from an enema.
    Pauletteaz2 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • have you tried colon cleanser? I think oxypowder's quite safe...purely for constipation.Or Colonix frm drnatura...try goggling for it.It is good to try colon cleansing as they might be parasites in my stomach..I'm suspecting I have it as things seem to move up and down my intestines LOL.Read forums on "digestive problems" and gastrointestinal over here..more info!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2007
    • 11:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Finally i bumped into a post that sound familiar to my misfortune, I'm suffering from the same symptoms for the past 2 years, chronic constipation, bloating and pain on my left side of the abdomen, but i do have some extra symptoms which bothers me more, Warm skin all the time and sometimes feeling the chill,the only difference is, my problem was trasmitted to me rather than started out of the blue,over 2 years ago i had a relationship with a woman who suffered from constant constipation and she used to take laxative almost everyday, it never occured to me that it can be transmitted, it all started after having an unprotected sex on 1 occasion and she bled heavily, about 2 weeks later i developed a flu, once the flu disappeared all my symptoms started gradually,despite having numerous test, which includes scanning for all STDs as well blood culture, numerous blood tests, barium enaema, stool test, all these mentionned tests come back normal, but strangely am still suffering from all the symptoms,my Doctor once prescriped a 1 month course of Ciprofloxacin, it did make me feel better as normal again, but unfortunately few days later symptoms comeback again and with a vengeance,,anyone out there for advice PLEASE
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think we need better understanding on our digestive system before we go for any treatment, there are a lot good websites on net just naming www.mayoclinic.com, www.livescience.com, coloncleansinghelp.com here you get a lot of inside of colon and some dietary foods recommended, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enema.
    raoherbal 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi All,I've the same sort of bloating (to the point of looking pregnant), pain and constipation that is described above.I've got an excess of streptocuccus and prevotella in my stool. I got this diagnosis from a company in Australia named "Bioscreen" who then sent results to my doctor. Their web site isn't working at the moment, but you can call them on +61 3 9349 5933 to sort out a test. As far as i understand they deliver world wide.Kirk
  • Guess even I have something like this. Hello I am 23 years , female. I am a vegetarian by birth. I prefer simple food and I do not take burgers and other junk to be honest. My problem for the past 6 to 7 months is constipation to to highest level. I do not poo or even feel like for atleast 4to 5 days. If I get to it comes in very little quantity. I am not embarassed to type this because I beleive that being simple and clear in my expression of my situation would only help me. My mouth is always dry. I feel thirsty all the time. When I press my abdomen or stomach just out of curiosity I do feel bearable pain. My tummy looks bloated as if I am pregnant but it is due to my constipation and huge gases that I look that way.Others do not understand my situation and give me weird looks. I am about 60 kgs and I do quite a lot of physical work. I do not like taking milk. When ever I take it after a while everything comes back to my mouth and throat. I hate that feeling. I wasn't lactose intolerant or anything all these years but now I feel taking milk or dairy beverages makes me sick. I keep getting acid refuxes over the entire day not matter what I eat. I drink lots of water I stay away from all possible junk. Still I am not able to identify the cause. I try to have regular meals but I don't like to eat anything. I do feel hungry I do quite a lot of physical work but I don't like any food. But I feel hungry. I was a sports person a few years ago but stopped a couple of years back. I used to do cycling regularly like 4 months back but now I am not able to. I feel my stomach is congested with everydamn thing in this world forvever. I also have other impportant problems like my menstrual cycle was perfect dot on the 29th day for about 12 years until now last 3 months its getting delayed or very early types. Both. I have stiff legs and joints and feel like I am carrying the world on my knees. My knees pain so badly I almost cry many times. All this knee pain started 6 months ago. I had severe migraines a year ago for 4 years but they seemed to stop now. My skin is so dry that what ever I apply seems like drying out immediately. And when I use Nivea intensive moisturiser or anyother lmoisturiser lotion they all make me feel that my cheeks are burning especially on my cheek bones. my face has got dry skin flakes all the time these days and my lips are always dry. I meticulously take care and keep track of what I eat what new problems i get what changes I see. But I do not get to arrive at anything. Please help. And Yes forgot one main thing, I do ***t like ***l. It pains sometimes when I feel gas developing in my stomach and when I am about to ***t. What do I do? I have consulted my Uni GP and we have gone through a lot of blood tests and other diet and fibre intakes and laxatives and others. But Nothing seems to work. I do not poop at all for about 3 days. Max I 've reached 4.5 days but only for a little poop to come like dog ****. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be offensive but was just trying to explain the amount. Also another thing for the past few months my knees and legs ache so much. I am not able to stand for long or do mych physical activity continuously. But beleive me I used to be a tough girl few months ago. I make sure that my calcium levels are maintained by calcium tablet since I don't take milk. Like I take one tablet every 2 days. I do drink tea with a little milk sometimes. I don't know if there is any relationship between my constipation problem acid refluxes and kneee pain.Please help Thank you. Looking forward for serious help.
    srk0301 1 Replies
    • September 7, 2008
    • 01:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can understand somewhat what it is like to go through this kind of constipation,pain throwing-up.I have a 15 yr old daughter who has been though this all her life I have took her to many many doctors who tells me give her a laxative and repotty train her my daughter knows how to use the bathrrom thanks again doc. I have sat up many nights with her screaming in pain nothing would help her.we moved back to the state of Va. in 2007.my daughter still no better and just getting worst.I would take her to er after er and they tell me they just don't know what is wrong I even had one doctor ask me if i just wanted my child sick yeah I was sick to the stomach.After a visit with a ped. doctor for a common cold with her she ask me her medicail history I thought here we go again but I was wrong she was very concern for my child and sent us to a G.I. Peds. Dr. at UVA. This doctor was a angel to us he didn't stop researching and staying in close contact with us until he found out why my child was so sick.Now my daughter is 14 yrs. old and they finally can tell me what is wrong with her she has a rare disease called currarino's traid doctors don't know much about it so they don't look for it.So after years of servere pain and consipation,missing so much school they said she never get caught up I had this amazing doctor to help my child she under went surgery in feb. 2008 they placed a tube in her belly/colon to put her medications in to FLUSH her colon out daily. She is a different kid she is on the small side for her age (but i'm not big either)but she is growing now, making friends going to school every day she does not have low iron nomore like she did she has not been in pain since. We did have a scare this past week she screaming in pain again and of course we all thought if was her colon again but after long hours in the hospital it turn out to be her fallipain tube is dilated.We don't know if this is related to her disease yet but I know her doctor will find out so please if you are having the consipation,pain,vomating don't let them tell you it's nothing it just takes the right doctor to find out what is wrong.Thank god I found one for my daughterGuess even I have something like this. Hello I am 23 years , female. I am a vegetarian by birth. I prefer simple food and I do not take burgers and other junk to be honest. My problem for the past 6 to 7 months is constipation to to highest level. I do not poo or even feel like for atleast 4to 5 days. If I get to it comes in very little quantity. I am not embarassed to type this because I beleive that being simple and clear in my expression of my situation would only help me. My mouth is always dry. I feel thirsty all the time. When I press my abdomen or stomach just out of curiosity I do feel bearable pain. My tummy looks bloated as if I am pregnant but it is due to my constipation and huge gases that I look that way.Others do not understand my situation and give me weird looks. I am about 60 kgs and I do quite a lot of physical work. I do not like taking milk. When ever I take it after a while everything comes back to my mouth and throat. I hate that feeling. I wasn't lactose intolerant or anything all these years but now I feel taking milk or dairy beverages makes me sick. I keep getting acid refuxes over the entire day not matter what I eat. I drink lots of water I stay away from all possible junk. Still I am not able to identify the cause. I try to have regular meals but I don't like to eat anything. I do feel hungry I do quite a lot of physical work but I don't like any food. But I feel hungry. I was a sports person a few years ago but stopped a couple of years back. I used to do cycling regularly like 4 months back but now I am not able to. I feel my stomach is congested with everydamn thing in this world forvever. I also have other impportant problems like my menstrual cycle was perfect dot on the 29th day for about 12 years until now last 3 months its getting delayed or very early types. Both. I have stiff legs and joints and feel like I am carrying the world on my knees. My knees pain so badly I almost cry many times. All this knee pain started 6 months ago. I had severe migraines a year ago for 4 years but they seemed to stop now. My skin is so dry that what ever I apply seems like drying out immediately. And when I use Nivea intensive moisturiser or anyother lmoisturiser lotion they all make me feel that my cheeks are burning especially on my cheek bones. my face has got dry skin flakes all the time these days and my lips are always dry. I meticulously take care and keep track of what I eat what new problems i get what changes I see. But I do not get to arrive at anything. Please help. And Yes forgot one main thing, I do ***t like ***l. It pains sometimes when I feel gas developing in my stomach and when I am about to ***t. What do I do? I have consulted my Uni GP and we have gone through a lot of blood tests and other diet and fibre intakes and laxatives and others. But Nothing seems to work. I do not poop at all for about 3 days. Max I 've reached 4.5 days but only for a little poop to come like dog ****. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be offensive but was just trying to explain the amount. Also another thing for the past few months my knees and legs ache so much. I am not able to stand for long or do mych physical activity continuously. But beleive me I used to be a tough girl few months ago. I make sure that my calcium levels are maintained by calcium tablet since I don't take milk. Like I take one tablet every 2 days. I do drink tea with a little milk sometimes. I don't know if there is any relationship between my constipation problem acid refluxes and kneee pain.Please help Thank you. Looking forward for serious help.
    scalvert 1 Replies
    • November 3, 2008
    • 01:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all of you!!! I have a test for all of you! Have you ever tried to not eat any Gluten??? I suggest you try it and see. It can be as simple as not eating any wheat for a few weeks to see if it helps. I also suggest a more natural magnesium tablet rather than any miralax etc. It is very cheap and easy. No pain, pushing etc. I was recently diagnosed with an intolerance for Gluten, Milk, eggs, & soy. This is an autoimmune disease - when you eat Gluten your body attacks itself and the villi (the part of the intestine to absorb the nutrients from your food) is atrophyed or laying down. It does not absorb these and then your body pulls from the major organs and bones to feed itself. The list of problems include: constipation, diareha, migraines, infertility, bloating, IBS - just go to the Celiac Disease web site and look it up. What better way to find out you have a problem that can easily be contraolled with diet, no meds, tests, doctors - just elimiante Gluten. What have you got to lose!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2009
    • 07:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Worst thing you could do is take a laxative. Your body will become dependent on the medicine in order to have a bowel movement, which is a bad thing. I'm a senior in nursing school and we are taught to increase fiber in the diet, cut out caffeine, soda, and coffee because these dehydrate you and increase your risk for constipation. If you want relief from constipation, try metamucil or fiber sure. These bulk your stool and move it right along your intestines. Be sure you drink at least 8 oz of water, per serving of a chosen fiber supplement or else your poo will just bulk and not exit the body. Make sure you are getting daily exercise because this also impacts your degree of constipation. Good luck and I hope this helps! PS I also have this problem, have all my life. I take fiber sure (3 tsp) in one cup of coffe per day, drink at least 8 glasses of water per day and try to exercise daily. This has helped dramatically and helped me increase my bowel movements from once or twice a week to daily.
  • srk0301 - sounds like you may need to get your thyroid checked. May be hypothyroidism. dry brittle skin, constipation, weakness in lower body, migraines... etc.Has your doctor checked your thyroid?I myself have a lot of bloating and cannot pinpoint it to any specific thing in my diet. My belly swells up like a balloon - hoping to find some insight here.Good luck to us all.Guess even I have something like this. Hello I am 23 years , female. I am a vegetarian by birth. I prefer simple food and I do not take burgers and other junk to be honest. My problem for the past 6 to 7 months is constipation to to highest level. I do not poo or even feel like for atleast 4to 5 days. If I get to it comes in very little quantity. I am not embarassed to type this because I beleive that being simple and clear in my expression of my situation would only help me. My mouth is always dry. I feel thirsty all the time. When I press my abdomen or stomach just out of curiosity I do feel bearable pain. My tummy looks bloated as if I am pregnant but it is due to my constipation and huge gases that I look that way.Others do not understand my situation and give me weird looks. I am about 60 kgs and I do quite a lot of physical work. I do not like taking milk. When ever I take it after a while everything comes back to my mouth and throat. I hate that feeling. I wasn't lactose intolerant or anything all these years but now I feel taking milk or dairy beverages makes me sick. I keep getting acid refuxes over the entire day not matter what I eat. I drink lots of water I stay away from all possible junk. Still I am not able to identify the cause. I try to have regular meals but I don't like to eat anything. I do feel hungry I do quite a lot of physical work but I don't like any food. But I feel hungry. I was a sports person a few years ago but stopped a couple of years back. I used to do cycling regularly like 4 months back but now I am not able to. I feel my stomach is congested with everydamn thing in this world forvever. I also have other impportant problems like my menstrual cycle was perfect dot on the 29th day for about 12 years until now last 3 months its getting delayed or very early types. Both. I have stiff legs and joints and feel like I am carrying the world on my knees. My knees pain so badly I almost cry many times. All this knee pain started 6 months ago. I had severe migraines a year ago for 4 years but they seemed to stop now. My skin is so dry that what ever I apply seems like drying out immediately. And when I use Nivea intensive moisturiser or anyother lmoisturiser lotion they all make me feel that my cheeks are burning especially on my cheek bones. my face has got dry skin flakes all the time these days and my lips are always dry. I meticulously take care and keep track of what I eat what new problems i get what changes I see. But I do not get to arrive at anything. Please help. And Yes forgot one main thing, I do ***t like ***l. It pains sometimes when I feel gas developing in my stomach and when I am about to ***t. What do I do? I have consulted my Uni GP and we have gone through a lot of blood tests and other diet and fibre intakes and laxatives and others. But Nothing seems to work. I do not poop at all for about 3 days. Max I 've reached 4.5 days but only for a little poop to come like dog ****. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be offensive but was just trying to explain the amount. Also another thing for the past few months my knees and legs ache so much. I am not able to stand for long or do mych physical activity continuously. But beleive me I used to be a tough girl few months ago. I make sure that my calcium levels are maintained by calcium tablet since I don't take milk. Like I take one tablet every 2 days. I do drink tea with a little milk sometimes. I don't know if there is any relationship between my constipation problem acid refluxes and kneee pain.Please help Thank you. Looking forward for serious help.
  • Large no of people today are suffering from these diseases. People must take care of these diseases. They must check their eatables before eating whether they are fresh or not.They must do exercise at regular basis . They must go for routine checkup to their doctors
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2009
    • 06:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello all of you!!! I have a test for all of you! Have you ever tried to not eat any Gluten??? I suggest you try it and see. It can be as simple as not eating any wheat for a few weeks to see if it helps. I also suggest a more natural magnesium tablet rather than any miralax etc. It is very cheap and easy. No pain, pushing etc. I was recently diagnosed with an intolerance for Gluten, Milk, eggs, & soy. This is an autoimmune disease - when you eat Gluten your body attacks itself and the villi (the part of the intestine to absorb the nutrients from your food) is atrophyed or laying down. It does not absorb these and then your body pulls from the major organs and bones to feed itself. The list of problems include: constipation, diareha, migraines, infertility, bloating, IBS - just go to the Celiac Disease web site and look it up. What better way to find out you have a problem that can easily be contraolled with diet, no meds, tests, doctors - just elimiante Gluten. What have you got to lose!I also suffer from chronic constipation and horrible bloating. I, too, look like I'm ready to give birth.I have a 'floppy colon'.It all was exacerbated years ago when I had an eating disorder and took handfuls of laxatives.Even though I have not done this is 20 years, I am still suffering.
    enufisenuf 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2009
    • 04:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all of you!!! I have a test for all of you! Have you ever tried to not eat any Gluten??? I suggest you try it and see. It can be as simple as not eating any wheat for a few weeks to see if it helps. I also suggest a more natural magnesium tablet rather than any miralax etc. It is very cheap and easy. No pain, pushing etc. I was recently diagnosed with an intolerance for Gluten, Milk, eggs, & soy. This is an autoimmune disease - when you eat Gluten your body attacks itself and the villi (the part of the intestine to absorb the nutrients from your food) is atrophyed or laying down. It does not absorb these and then your body pulls from the major organs and bones to feed itself. The list of problems include: constipation, diareha, migraines, infertility, bloating, IBS - just go to the Celiac Disease web site and look it up. What better way to find out you have a problem that can easily be contraolled with diet, no meds, tests, doctors - just elimiante Gluten. What have you got to lose!I actually think I have a Gluten Allergy. I have all the symptoms just about. I stopped eating gluten for a week and it made such a difference. When my doctor went to test for celiac disease by blood test it came out negative. Which is normal since I had stopped eating gluten. Then, my doctor had put me on Iron pills for my amenia. Ever since I have been constipated. So, she put me on Miralax. Sadly, that hasn't helped either. I have been constipated for five days of taking it. Even uping the dose to 2 times a day. The only good thing is that it does get rid of my gas. I have no idea what the doctor will suggest now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Poor you, I get tachy too but ive had to still have 11 colon ops as ive been so will. see my personal web pages www.kerrymaidmentinfo.co.uk and see if anything is similar. With your history they should check you out properly, please make sure before you have any operation that you check your surgeon out before hand, my surgeon ruined my life, you'll see from my web pages. Its so painful, unless you suffer no-one understands how ill this makes you, constipation causes toxins to build up and make you very ill after a while. x
    crunchiejoe 61 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 09:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Guess even I have something like this. Hello I am 23 years , female. I am a vegetarian by birth. I prefer simple food and I do not take burgers and other junk to be honest. My problem for the past 6 to 7 months is constipation to to highest level. I do not poo or even feel like for atleast 4to 5 days. If I get to it comes in very little quantity. I am not embarassed to type this because I beleive that being simple and clear in my expression of my situation would only help me. My mouth is always dry. I feel thirsty all the time. When I press my abdomen or stomach just out of curiosity I do feel bearable pain. My tummy looks bloated as if I am pregnant but it is due to my constipation and huge gases that I look that way.Others do not understand my situation and give me weird looks. I am about 60 kgs and I do quite a lot of physical work. I do not like taking milk. When ever I take it after a while everything comes back to my mouth and throat. I hate that feeling. I wasn't lactose intolerant or anything all these years but now I feel taking milk or dairy beverages makes me sick. I keep getting acid refuxes over the entire day not matter what I eat. I drink lots of water I stay away from all possible junk. Still I am not able to identify the cause. I try to have regular meals but I don't like to eat anything. I do feel hungry I do quite a lot of physical work but I don't like any food. But I feel hungry. I was a sports person a few years ago but stopped a couple of years back. I used to do cycling regularly like 4 months back but now I am not able to. I feel my stomach is congested with everydamn thing in this world forvever. I also have other impportant problems like my menstrual cycle was perfect dot on the 29th day for about 12 years until now last 3 months its getting delayed or very early types. Both. I have stiff legs and joints and feel like I am carrying the world on my knees. My knees pain so badly I almost cry many times. All this knee pain started 6 months ago. I had severe migraines a year ago for 4 years but they seemed to stop now. My skin is so dry that what ever I apply seems like drying out immediately. And when I use Nivea intensive moisturiser or anyother moisturiser lotion they all make me feel that my cheeks are burning especially on my cheek bones. my face has got dry skin flakes all the time these days and my lips are always dry. I meticulously take care and keep track of what I eat what new problems i get what changes I see. But I do not get to arrive at anything. Please help. And Yes forgot one main thing, I do ***t like ***l. It pains sometimes when I feel gas developing in my stomach and when I am about to ***t. What do I do? I have consulted my Uni GP and we have gone through a lot of blood tests and other diet and fibre intakes and laxatives and others. But Nothing seems to work. I do not poop at all for about 3 days. Max I 've reached 4.5 days but only for a little poop to come like dog ****. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be offensive but was just trying to explain the amount. Also another thing for the past few months my knees and legs ache so much. I am not able to stand for long or do mych physical activity continuously. But beleive me I used to be a tough girl few months ago. I make sure that my calcium levels are maintained by calcium tablet since I don't take milk. Like I take one tablet every 2 days. I do drink tea with a little milk sometimes. I don't know if there is any relationship between my constipation problem acid refluxes and kneee pain.Please help Thank you. Looking forward for serious help.I've read a few posts but so far I can really relate to this one, in particular. ^^First, I'll give some background on my health problems, in case the information helps any..I am a female as well, 17 years old, and have been a vegetarian (actually, a "pescatarian," I still eat fish) for about a year now. I have never been crazy about junk food either, but my eating habits have greatly improved since eliminating meat. I also have menstrual problems: secondary amenorrhea. I got my first period pretty late (at age 14), but they were, and still aren't, regular. I only had periods for about a year, and even then they weren't regular. There were at least two months between each period. Almost exactly a year after I started, they just stopped. Nine months later, I was put on a generic birth control pill called "Portia" to stimulate the cycle.(Note:*THIS is when I noticed a drastic change in my bowels..!!*)I got a period two weeks earlier than they said I would, so as the doctor advised, I stopped taking the pill. That was almost two months ago, and what do you know, I haven't gotten a period since.I'm not sure if my menstrual issues are even related to the constipation/clogging issue, but I thought I might share it anyway in case it helps.Like you all have said, it's annoying and embarrassing and frustrating! I haven't pooped in a few days now. I don't want to take any laxatives, and I am even hesitant about other medications as well..I also experience the obnoxious bloating and bulging. And if you touch my stomach, it's ROCK HARD. I don't know why it's doing this. (Perhaps because it's plugged?) I keep researching various colon / intestinal / stomach diseases and disorders, but nothing seems to be jumping out at me..As for the ******g, I am experiencing that worse than I ever have in my life; more frequently and definitely more foul-smelling.I suppose I should start seriously talking to a doctor about it.& If anyone has tried or done anything that worked for them, please let us all know!This is pretty much unbearable.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2010
    • 07:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband (28 yrs old) has the same constipation issues, they started about a year ago. His colon basically just shut down. He had a colonoscopy and nothing appeared to be abnormal. We eliminated gluten and he had a postive reaction (normal movements), however this only lasted for two weeks. We then eliminated lactose and gluten from his diet and he was normal for 1.5-2 months. Today he is constipated and we are starting to seek help from other GI specialists and a naturopathic doctor. I recommend to those suffering from chronic constipation to get tested for celiac disease. The GI specialist my husband saw said the test was not necessary because the treatment is all the same - eliminate gluten. However, if you don't get tested you will never know for sure. The test can only detect that you have celiac disease if you're eating gluten. Likely my husband will need to eat gluten again for the test, which could slow progress towards recovery if he has the disease. The Celiac Disease Foundation recommends the first step is to get tested before elimination of gluten from your diet. Most doctors do not think of celiac disease or have a knowledge of the disorder, the first GI specialist my husband saw said to increase fiber and eat bran muffins. Needless to say, his constipation got worse. You may have to google and find a doctor in your area. Good luck to all, I know this is a frustrating process.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2010
    • 03:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband (28 yrs old) has the same constipation issues, they started about a year ago. His colon basically just shut down. He had a colonoscopy and nothing appeared to be abnormal. We eliminated gluten and he had a postive reaction (normal movements), however this only lasted for two weeks. We then eliminated lactose and gluten from his diet and he was normal for 1.5-2 months. Today he is constipated and we are starting to seek help from other GI specialists and a naturopathic doctor. I recommend to those suffering from chronic constipation to get tested for celiac disease. The GI specialist my husband saw said the test was not necessary because the treatment is all the same - eliminate gluten. However, if you don't get tested you will never know for sure. The test can only detect that you have celiac disease if you're eating gluten. Likely my husband will need to eat gluten again for the test, which could slow progress towards recovery if he has the disease. The Celiac Disease Foundation recommends the first step is to get tested before elimination of gluten from your diet. Most doctors do not think of celiac disease or have a knowledge of the disorder, the first GI specialist my husband saw said to increase fiber and eat bran muffins. Needless to say, his constipation got worse. You may have to google and find a doctor in your area. Good luck to all, I know this is a frustrating process.Hi All,I am glad that I found your board!I too have been sad and poopless! I am 39 and am not diagnosed as a celiac, but clearly am. Also, I don't eat dairy stuffs (except sometimes a little bit of goat cheese or yogurt), no beans (very bad!!!), no nuts, I have to be careful with nutritional supplements (watch for stearates)...... It is quite a list, but my belly is so much happier that in the past.I would make adjustments to my diet and I would feel good for a week, or a month, or a year, and then the extreme sluggish gut would return. I would recommend that many of you look into the No Starch Diet or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I found that the No Starch Diet was the one that helped me the most. Also, see about some nutritional anti-inflammatory ideas, like home made carrot juice.Also, check out some kind to digestion supplements like calcium/magnesium (2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. The more the magnesium the more the poop! - yipee), vitamin D, Vitamin B12 (sublingual or liquid held in the mouth). I must say though, that my secret to happiness is an Ayurvedic herb blend called Triphala. I drink 1 teaspoon of this as a tea at bedtime (let steep for 15 minutes before drinking). It tastes real bad and it is so good and soothing on my intestines.Try yoga, it is very good for massaging the internal organs.Try a naturopath for food sensitivity testing.Good luck everyone.Love,Erin
  • I could write a book on colons and constipation after being ill the last 5 years and having 12 ops. Overuse of laxatives ruins your colons natural ryhum, I used to take enemas 5 times a day and only found out after constant use is bad for you, even though my doctor gave me them. Check out a condition called obstructed defecation syndrome and see if you have any of the problems, its getting more widely known now
    crunchiejoe 61 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello, i am 23 , female , my problems are exactly the same as yours - very bad constipation , 24 hrs bloating and dryness , all these symptoms suddenly appeared 2 years ago , i feel very irritated , were u able to find out the solution , please please reply.........Guess even I have something like this. Hello I am 23 years , female. I am a vegetarian by birth. I prefer simple food and I do not take burgers and other junk to be honest. My problem for the past 6 to 7 months is constipation to to highest level. I do not poo or even feel like for atleast 4to 5 days. If I get to it comes in very little quantity. I am not embarassed to type this because I beleive that being simple and clear in my expression of my situation would only help me. My mouth is always dry. I feel thirsty all the time. When I press my abdomen or stomach just out of curiosity I do feel bearable pain. My tummy looks bloated as if I am pregnant but it is due to my constipation and huge gases that I look that way.Others do not understand my situation and give me weird looks. I am about 60 kgs and I do quite a lot of physical work. I do not like taking milk. When ever I take it after a while everything comes back to my mouth and throat. I hate that feeling. I wasn't lactose intolerant or anything all these years but now I feel taking milk or dairy beverages makes me sick. I keep getting acid refuxes over the entire day not matter what I eat. I drink lots of water I stay away from all possible junk. Still I am not able to identify the cause. I try to have regular meals but I don't like to eat anything. I do feel hungry I do quite a lot of physical work but I don't like any food. But I feel hungry. I was a sports person a few years ago but stopped a couple of years back. I used to do cycling regularly like 4 months back but now I am not able to. I feel my stomach is congested with everydamn thing in this world forvever. I also have other impportant problems like my menstrual cycle was perfect dot on the 29th day for about 12 years until now last 3 months its getting delayed or very early types. Both. I have stiff legs and joints and feel like I am carrying the world on my knees. My knees pain so badly I almost cry many times. All this knee pain started 6 months ago. I had severe migraines a year ago for 4 years but they seemed to stop now. My skin is so dry that what ever I apply seems like drying out immediately. And when I use Nivea intensive moisturiser or anyother lmoisturiser lotion they all make me feel that my cheeks are burning especially on my cheek bones. my face has got dry skin flakes all the time these days and my lips are always dry. I meticulously take care and keep track of what I eat what new problems i get what changes I see. But I do not get to arrive at anything. Please help. And Yes forgot one main thing, I do ***t like ***l. It pains sometimes when I feel gas developing in my stomach and when I am about to ***t. What do I do? I have consulted my Uni GP and we have gone through a lot of blood tests and other diet and fibre intakes and laxatives and others. But Nothing seems to work. I do not poop at all for about 3 days. Max I 've reached 4.5 days but only for a little poop to come like dog ****. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be offensive but was just trying to explain the amount. Also another thing for the past few months my knees and legs ache so much. I am not able to stand for long or do mych physical activity continuously. But beleive me I used to be a tough girl few months ago. I make sure that my calcium levels are maintained by calcium tablet since I don't take milk. Like I take one tablet every 2 days. I do drink tea with a little milk sometimes. I don't know if there is any relationship between my constipation problem acid refluxes and kneee pain.Please help Thank you. Looking forward for serious help.
    tina4june 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone,I am 19 years old and for the past there years I have suffered from constipation. It is horrible the symptoms are I feel the urge to go but when I go to try and have a bowl movement nothing comes and it hurts. I did go to a Doctor and they just change my diet. That was two years ago it solved my constipation for awhile and when I still got constipated it was not really bad. But now I fear that I may have to go through that painful experience. It started about three weeks ago I could still go and it was not really painful just hard. Now I can’t go and I do not want to go through what I went through a few years ago. When I started to feel constipated I changed my lifestyle. I got rid of soda and I drink a lot of water. I eat food that has fiber and I try to eat fruits and vegetables. I have tried a lot of things. I do not want to use laxatives. I am also very sensitive to pain. I should tell you that I was born a preemie and I read somewhere that preemies have issues with bowls all through their life’s. I also have a weight issue but I try to exercise. Please help me it hurts a lot.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement