Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Thrush/Burning tongue

Posted In: Mouth conditions 10 Replies
  • Posted By: jessicahsmom
  • May 21, 2007
  • 07:11 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Jessica and I also have been experiencing problems with thrush and burning tongue sensations.

My problem started back in November and it was about my 2nd week into a really bad cold. The doctor gave me fluconazole for 3 days and penicillin for 7 days and it cleared right up. Well the battle with my cold continued to get worse so with in the next week they put me a really strong antibiotic and prednisone. Well with in a few days my thrush was back and they were convinced it was from the antibiotic. Well after 5 days of more fluconazole it didn't clear up and they put me on another 21 days of it. They also had me try several mouth rinses and those too didn't do anything. It never fully went away. My tongue was still coated and the tip was red and burned like ***l. About 4 weeks later I went to an ENT an he felt the need to put me on some other oral rinses and then when it didn't go away he tried allergy med's.

3 weeks ago I came down with a sinus infection and woke up this weekend with severe thrush. I can't eat, drink and my tongue burns like ***l. I started today on fluconazole for 7 days and go in for my second round of blood work tomorrow. The ENT thought it might be burning tongue syndrome but, didn't think there was anything that could be done for it. I have been researching chronic thrush also known as Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis (CMC) and burning tongue syndrome and I am beginning to wonder. Seems like someone out there has to know what this is and how to get rid of it.......

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Jessica, I had burning mouth syndrome. I had gone to my dentist, oral surgeon and int. med. doc, and no one had any answers. Then I saw an article in "Prevention" with a drawing of a woman with flames coming out of her mouth. It sure got my attention. In the FIRST paragraph, menopausal women were at high risk and the solution was Hormone replacement therapy. I called my gyn who gave me the prescription over the phone...the dear man...and it cleared up in a couple of days. How old are you? I think I caused it by eating LOTSA lemon sorbet which probably ruined the natural flora of my mouth. Even now I have to be careful of sugary, icy or acidic foods as it will start to hurt again. After I had appendicitis, the IV antibiotics gave me thrush quickly and my surgeon prescribed Diflucan which started to work the next day. Some people say that you can relieve flare-ups by sticking to a anti-candida diet which is, I think, mostly limiting sugars. Don't give the yeasties any food! Have you had only the oral flucon. or did you swallow the pills. I took the pills. Hope this helps.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks, it is nice to know I am not the only one who has had this problem. I am 32 and nothing new has changed with my diet. Back in Sept. I had a filling put in and I ended up slipping a disk in my and jaw (it is still slipped). I have done research to TMJ and I have read that some times people with TMJ problems have a coated tongue. I have been on a soft food diet and can't eat anything chewy. I also have had issues with canker sores so I don't eat or drink anything acidic. I have never had thrush as baby, nor have I ever had a yeast infection. I am starting day 4 of my flucanozle ( swallow) and my tongue is looking better than it has since Nov. It is still very raw and the burning sensation is very painful. My lab work came back ok, my sugar and liver function. I guess I will wait until my med's are gone and see what my tongue looks and feels like. The doctor was going to send me to another ENT but, that takes months to get in for an appt. She said if it still bothers me call the original ENT and see who he was going to send me to and call and find out what they suggest. The place he is wanting to send me to is over 3 hours away. I hate the thought of them saying oh there is nothing they can do. So with burning tongue syndrome, how did they know for sure you had it? Any specific tests they do for that? Thanks for your helpJess
    jessicahsmom 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • JessicaIf you find a cure, I would love to hear about it. I have had burning mouth / tongue for about 2 years, seems to come & go, depending on the food I ate, how stressed I am. I am 48, pre-menopausal, but cannot take HRT due to having bloodclots during my 1st pregnancy. Good luck, it sure is annoying isn"t it? My dentist had no answer, my GP had no answer, and I can't seem to find anything on any medical advise boards. Good Luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yeah, I know how you feel. Well I am on day six of my flucanozle and my tongue actually looks good. It still burns (the tip) and I have all of the little red inflamed bumps. I still haven't got much for taste that kind of worries me. It seems that stress plays a major role in this issue and my life is nothing but, stress. That seems to be what they tell me with my TMJ but, how do you cut out stress when your married, each have children from previous marriages, step son who is special needs and has epilepsy, step daughter who would rather be at mom's running wild and hates us all, and then another who seems to have her act together. Not to mention dealing with an ex wife, custody and support issues. Waiting for our house to sell, so we can build a new one. The list just goes on and on. It's funny I want to start my own business being an information professional for health care. My family seems to be plagued with numerous illnesses and diseases and now that we are done with our remodeling projects I plan on getting started. There are a lot of organizations out there that help with so many different things. I will be checking into this. I have even also contacted and Dr. in the UK and have gotten some advice from her. I will keep you posted...Jess
    jessicahsmom 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Nystatine is anti fungus.... Candida is a fungus
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I put a reply on the other thread burning tongue.I was told this could be down to the menopause but as yet have not found a solution. Also I did take 3 lots of antibiotics. My tongue feels scalded. In the morning it feels so dry. Its horrible I have had it 6 months now and doctors have not been able to help.I am going to try vitamin B.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2007
    • 09:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • sounds so familiar. I am also 32. I had a sinus infection, put on antibiotic and another and another. Now i have had this wonderful tounge since. My tounge will coat and then go away. I notice when it is coated it is more dry and when its red it just hurts. I have heard there is always a reason for burning tounge just finding out the reason is hard. I also have had tonsilitis and had my tonsils removed that has helped a little. An internist also said to go see an gastro dr. Fungus may be growing down the throat. ??????????????????????????? this is the most depressing thing isn't it.
    lizmcg 7 Replies
    • November 10, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it all started on thursday morning my tougue was burning like a fire and also numb at the same time i have a red mark on the front of it i am so worry i went 2 the doctors on monday she couldnt tell me what it was and gave me a mouth wash it is so hard 2 eat i just dont understand it can anyone help me? ....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 10:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Jessica, I had burning mouth syndrome. I had gone to my dentist, oral surgeon and int. med. doc, and no one had any answers. Then I saw an article in "Prevention" with a drawing of a woman with flames coming out of her mouth. It sure got my attention. In the FIRST paragraph, menopausal women were at high risk and the solution was Hormone replacement therapy. I called my gyn who gave me the prescription over the phone...the dear man...and it cleared up in a couple of days. How old are you? I think I caused it by eating LOTSA lemon sorbet which probably ruined the natural flora of my mouth. Even now I have to be careful of sugary, icy or acidic foods as it will start to hurt again. After I had appendicitis, the IV antibiotics gave me thrush quickly and my surgeon prescribed Diflucan which started to work the next day. Some people say that you can relieve flare-ups by sticking to a anti-candida diet which is, I think, mostly limiting sugars. Don't give the yeasties any food! Have you had only the oral flucon. or did you swallow the pills. I took the pills. Hope this helps. I find you comment "I think I caused it by eating LOTSA lemon sorbet which probably ruined the natural flora of my mouth. Even now I have to be careful of sugary, icy or acidic foods as it will start to hurt again." very interesting as I think i may have done the same thing. One night while eating LOTSA of lemon sorbet both my tongue and roof of my mouth kind froze, and I noticed that on occasion the cold tea spoon I was using would stick to my tongue. It hurt but I didn't make much of it at the time. Gradually I developed dry mouth and now my tongue burns, especially when I eat and also in the early morning. I think because I breathe through my mouth, and wake up during the night with a dry mouth and a burning tongue, especially the tip of the tongue. I recently developed a throat infection and the doctor prescribed Cefdinir 300mg 2x daily. Back to the sorbet, you mention that an anti-candida diet may help. Have you tried it? Does it help? Are you still suffering from the burning.
    limavin 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I put a reply on the other thread burning tongue.I was told this could be down to the menopause but as yet have not found a solution. Also I did take 3 lots of antibiotics. My tongue feels scalded. In the morning it feels so dry. Its horrible I have had it 6 months now and doctors have not been able to help.I am going to try vitamin B.I get a sore tongue every year for the past seven years in the Fall, I am beginning to lthink it is associated with my annual flu shot. I plan to talk with the pharmacist next week and see what he thinks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2010
    • 09:26 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement