Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Groin pain on right side, shooting pain in right leg

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 24 Replies
  • Posted By: ouchmyleg
  • May 21, 2007
  • 02:35 AM

I have severe groin pain on the right side, which is causing severe throbbing leg pain. I'm only effected on the right hand side. This has been going on for a little over a year. I did have a vaginal ultrasound, and did have an ovarian cyst which was 4mm. A few weeks later they looked at the cyst again, and it went down to less than 1mm. Now I'm scheduled to go in every 6 months for a vaginal ultrasound.

This month I did have a tiny bit of spotting between periods.

My general doctor thought I might have a neuropothy, and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist did not agree with the neuropathy diagnosis. She however had no answers for me.

The pain in my right leg is not constant. Some days I have no pain, while other days it's hard to handle the pain. Other days I'll be walking with virtually no pain, and suddenly my leg will give out on me causing me to fall.

Driving a car really hurts. The movement from the gas pedal to the break pedal can be pretty painful.

There are no comfortable positions when I'm in pain. It doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down.

It seems to be getting worse. I'm also finding that I have little 'pangs' that now are beginning to come and go in different parts of my body, such as the general pelvic area, breasts, underarms, arms, feet, and knees. This may or may not be related to the groin and leg pain

I'm 40, have normal periods, weigh 160 pounds, have had a c-section, and have a pretty normal medical history other than having had a stillborn child and a miscarriage due to blood clotting at the placenta. My blood pressure is normal, and cholestoral and blood sugar levels are normal as well.

Thoughts?

Reply Flag this Discussion

24 Replies:

• dear ouch...many thoughts please read last 5 pages of "It's a mystery until we solve it" there you will find hundreds...like yourself...complaining of pain with no reason I have it too am currently being testedplease read thread...you will see a pattern mommy cat:)
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • This doctor says we should drink quite a lot of water and also salt: http://www.phenomenews.com/nov2005/0a.htm - try to get Trocomare salt by Dr A. Vogel of Switzerland, in the place of "smooth flowing" salt .. Do read that link, it is most interesting, and cheap to try. This may be why marathon runners are so addicted to their running, they take plenty water and salt.If you've had any titanium clips put in (as part of some op.) they can cause your situ, there is seepage from ALL metals - they may even have come loose and now float where nobody is looking for them. Such things will have to come out. If you eventually decide to have parts removed, it's a great idea but they should only remove as much as needed. If your gynaecologist is at the end of his/her wits, get another one (or 5). Sometimes a good one finds other problems once they get serious and/or operate. Different gynaes can have very different findings and procedures. Ask female assistants at pharmacies who the best one is, they see a lot of stuff.Just in case it is something bacterial, see www.nutrasilver.com for a type of colloidal silver (silver ions suspended in water) that you can take internally. One can drink the ordinary type as well, but rather just keep a tot in the mouth for 10 minutes and spit it out. Also great for external application, dab it on. Here in ZA we brew it at home. It has proven consistently better than any med or antibiotic, for almost any problem. If it is correctly made there are no side effects. Please see www.tetrahedron.org/articles/colloidal_silver.html for info.Of course boost your immune system all you can, perhaps you already do. Get homeopathic Resque Remedy. Add Vitamin-B12 (complex), Omega-3 (salmon oil / flax seed oil) and of Vitamin-C 1000 mg (slow release) per day. If you use supplements already, be sure not to overdo it. Too much of certain vitamins may have bad results. But you can take quite a lot of Vitamin-C and even tablespoons full of Omega-3. The best Omega-3 is kept in a freezer in the health shop, not in caps. Avoid heated cooking oil (cook veggies in water and flavour with unheated extra virgin olive oil) and avoid processed foods (containing hydrogenated vegetable fat, additives etc). No margarine please, use real butter. Be sure to include cabbage (lots) and garlic.I'm impressed with a site http://www.westonaprice.org/sitemap.html - be sure to read this one: www.westonaprice.org/soy/complaints.html whole page (!) and elsewhere http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm .. There is a lot of soy in commercial bread, and in almost everything. Even cancer can be fixed by taking flax seed oil, see http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html as well as http://www.beckwithfamily.com/Flax1.html .. And it may be due to a parathyroid malfunction, read www.parathyroid.com
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • Mommycat - do you have a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it.Curly - thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
    ouchmyleg 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Curly - The salt/water article is very interesting. I don't use salt when cooking, and I'm very bad a taking in my liquids. (It usually comes in the form of coffee, milk and juice. I drink maybe one 8 oz glass of water a day).I'll try that and report back.
    ouchmyleg 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • is located at:http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=12566&goto=newpostthis link should work...godspeed...mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • I occasionally have the same kind of pain & had to go to the emergency room once. I thought it was ovarian related, but nothing has turned up. (I have ovarian failure.) I thought it was neurological. (But nothing has turned up.) All I know is if I get dehydrated my chances of having pain are greatly increased. I have to drink water through the night and therefore, don't sleep well. If I don't though, after about several hours of sleep my body wakes me up & I have shooting pain only on my right side and feel like crap and can't go back to sleep. I don't get it that bad very often, and it is mild compared to yours. But I am still not convinced it is not ovarian related. I have always had cysts on my right ovary. Once so bad they were going to operate but it dissolved before they did. I have had two cesarians. That's all I can tell you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had a similar incident severe pain in the groin on my right side ,and visited the Emergency room , the course taken after was quite different i think and may have some answers for you I had a ct scan which found cysts on both ovaries the one on the right was a bit bigger than a golf ball the next time i saw the dr was for severe pains in my leg and hip on the same side 6 months laterhe became concerned it may be ovarian cancer and referred me out to an gynecologist surgeon he did a physical exam did a blood test for the cancer entogen , and told me b4 i left that day he didnt think it was cancer and scheduled me for a vaginal ultra sound it confirmed there where cysts on my tubes not the ovary itself he recommended laproscopic surgery to remove the cyst ... since my pain was very severe with ovulation and he thought my hip and leg pain could be related to the mass , it was obstructing my rectum as well . after surgery i found out my tubes were twisted on both sides , they removed both tubes which i was a lil mad about but theres always invitro , i have no kids yet ( im 36)the part of my story thats relevant to you is since my surgery ive had no pains at all not in my leg or my hip lol or my behind i would discount these cysts , ask ur dr to refer you to a gynecologist that specializes in ur age group i think youll get a much better result i was getting sent everywhere til i found Dr Stafl the right dr makes all the differenceyou have my best wishes in ur quest for recovery :)
  • I went to the hospital last night, due to similar pain. They did a c.t. and found nothing. I feel nausea and a pulsing pain on the groin if I sit or stand or lay. They checked for kiddney stones, pregnancy, hernia, and nothing was found. The pain has not gone away and the neither has the nausea. Blood pressure when I left the hospital was 95/52 and it flucuated from 113/38, 98/55, 99/51, 116/62, 99/64,94/56. My blood pressure has never been that irregular. I do weigh 345 and scares me due to my family having heart failer. My grama just had a heart attach two month ago and my mom has irregular heart beats. Did he miss something I wonder? What else should I get tested for?Please advice. I am only 40ys old and kinda scared.Minerva
  • I went to the hospital last night, due to similar pain. They did a c.t. and found nothing. I feel nausea and a pulsing pain on the groin if I sit or stand or lay. They checked for kiddney stones, pregnancy, hernia, and nothing was found. The pain has not gone away and the neither has the nausea. Blood pressure when I left the hospital was 95/52 and it flucuated from 113/38, 98/55, 99/51, 116/62, 99/64,94/56. My blood pressure has never been that irregular. I do weigh 345 and scares me due to my family having heart failer. My grama just had a heart attach two month ago and my mom has irregular heart beats. Did he miss something I wonder? What else should I get tested for?Please advice. I am only 40ys old and kinda scared.MinervaI am overweight too at 304 and after 15 years of the same weight(I am a hospital nurse)The new slim gals say I need to do something else because I have been limping lately, I say I sprained my groin and boy does it hurt and radiates down my leg and I too had a CT scan with contrast and nothing no hernia and I am wondering how long thnis pain will lastIam going to try ice now and lay down again, this is ridiculous.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 07:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you guys had a loss of sexual sensation or numbness of the clitoris? I have had shooting pains and sharp pain down my leg. I Also have had surgery of my ovary 10 years ago for giant cysts on both sides. I was never convinced they didn't a good job. But now aswell as these problems I also get a numbness in the ***t, it is slightly paler in color than it used to be, and it is much more difficult to orgasm. I did some research and thought it might be connected to the pudential nerve which runs from the clitoris down through the anus and buttocks down the right leg to the knee... which might be the problem with you guys too.. maybe the cysts or the surgery or whatever has caused problems to the nerve... I dunno, I really don't. What do you guys think, have you had any of the sexual systoms I have?
    vin _tbox 2 Replies
    • August 30, 2009
    • 01:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you guys had a loss of sexual sensation or numbness of the clitoris? I have had shooting pains and sharp pain down my leg. I Also have had surgery of my ovary 10 years ago for giant cysts on both sides. I was never convinced they didn't a good job. But now aswell as these problems I also get a numbness in the ***t, it is slightly paler in color than it used to be, and it is much more difficult to orgasm. I did some research and thought it might be connected to the pudential nerve which runs from the clitoris down through the anus and buttocks down the right leg to the knee... which might be the problem with you guys too.. maybe the cysts or the surgery or whatever has caused problems to the nerve... I dunno, I really don't. What do you guys think, have you had any of the sexual systoms I have?
    vin _tbox 2 Replies
    • August 30, 2009
    • 01:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I had a total hysterectomy 25 years ago and now am experiencing severe rt. groin painradiating down my rt. leg to my ankle which is the worst at night. I also feel as if my rt.leg is weaker than my left. This has been going on for 10 mos. I have not had any injury.I have seen 2 orthopedic doctors, a neurologist, and a physiatrist. They all mentioned thelower back as the possible culprit even though I don't generally have any back pain. Since the bone scan was negative, and the MRI of the rt. hip was not that impressive, only showing minimal fluid/inflammation w/in the rt. hip joint, the next diagnostic exam will be an MRI of the lumbar spine. I also had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis which was negative. This is very frustrating. If anyone can shed any light on this please feel free.Thanks!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2010
    • 05:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes it is possible to have groin and leg pain originating from the lower back even though you may have no back pain. Posture plays an important role and even foot position. I have pronation of my right foot and poor posture (and weak abdominals) tilts the pelvis forward. I used to have pain in my right leg a lot and hip flexor pain after running. This was all posture-related because the normal muscle alignment had been altered. My hip flexors and quads were too tight which added to the anterior pelvic tilt and placed strain on the lower back. The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body and runs from the spinal column and down each leg. Pain and/or altered sensation/weakness in one leg is usually attributed to impingment of the sciatic nerve and can occur with or without lower back or buttock pain. The most common cause of sciatic nerve impingment is a herniated disc. As for the groin pain mentioned - it might be your adductor muscles.What helps for me - pilates and stretching to improve posture and I now wear orthotics in my runners which helps with hip flexor pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2010
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem.. Right side paiin in the back and shoots down to my kneee but never past it... I am 40 yo and my doc, spinal surgeon says it sciatica??? had this for 4 years now.
  • I went to the hospital last night, due to similar pain. They did a c.t. and found nothing. I feel nausea and a pulsing pain on the groin if I sit or stand or lay. They checked for kiddney stones, pregnancy, hernia, and nothing was found. The pain has not gone away and the neither has the nausea. Blood pressure when I left the hospital was 95/52 and it flucuated from 113/38, 98/55, 99/51, 116/62, 99/64,94/56. My blood pressure has never been that irregular. I do weigh 345 and scares me due to my family having heart failer. My grama just had a heart attach two month ago and my mom has irregular heart beats. Did he miss something I wonder? What else should I get tested for?Please advice. I am only 40ys old and kinda scared.MinervaMinerva - and others with this pain - I have this exact pain in my right leg. I was diagnosed about a year ago with developmental hip dysplasia. I have pain in my groin and it is difficult to walk any distance since there is no cartilage left in the hip joint. I finally have my surgery scheduled for my right hip. I will have to have the left one done also, but not quite yet. My pain has now started shooting down my leg as you described. It begins in my groin, where my inner part od my hip joint is. The pain shoots all the way down my leg wraps around my knee and goes clear to my foot. I am taking hydrocodone 7.5 and it does nothing for the shooting pains. I have tried laying on my side with a pillow between my knees, that doesn't work. I tried some Icy Hot pain cream, that didn't work either. I will try and survive for the next two weeks. A couple thing I would check out if I were you is: A - Get x-rays of your hip and make sure they are in good shape, lined up right and not missing any cartilage and B - ask your doctor if it could be your Sciatica nerve. I am thinking I might have that problem now also, Good Luck to you all!!!
  • I have same problem for 18 years and I am a bloke so it proberbly is not ovarian related.
  • I have severe groin pain on the right side, which is causing severe throbbing leg pain. I'm only effected on the right hand side. This has been going on for a little over a year. I did have a vaginal ultrasound, and did have an ovarian cyst which was 4mm. A few weeks later they looked at the cyst again, and it went down to less than 1mm. Now I'm scheduled to go in every 6 months for a vaginal ultrasound. This month I did have a tiny bit of spotting between periods. My general doctor thought I might have a neuropothy, and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist did not agree with the neuropathy diagnosis. She however had no answers for me. The pain in my right leg is not constant. Some days I have no pain, while other days it's hard to handle the pain. Other days I'll be walking with virtually no pain, and suddenly my leg will give out on me causing me to fall. Driving a car really hurts. The movement from the gas pedal to the break pedal can be pretty painful. There are no comfortable positions when I'm in pain. It doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down. It seems to be getting worse. I'm also finding that I have little 'pangs' that now are beginning to come and go in different parts of my body, such as the general pelvic area, breasts, underarms, arms, feet, and knees. This may or may not be related to the groin and leg pain I'm 40, have normal periods, weigh 160 pounds, have had a c-section, and have a pretty normal medical history other than having had a stillborn child and a miscarriage due to blood clotting at the placenta. My blood pressure is normal, and cholestoral and blood sugar levels are normal as well. Thoughts?Maybe look into a Sports Hernia? a rare form of hernia that doesn't show up on anything.
    Missa995 38 Replies Flag this Response
  • Mommycat - do you have a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it.Curly - thanks for the links. I'll check them out.Have you been tested for APS ( or hughes syndrome) ? might be an idea as you have had miscarriages.all the best
  • I have severe groin pain on the right side, which is causing severe throbbing leg pain. I'm only effected on the right hand side. This has been going on for a little over a year. I did have a vaginal ultrasound, and did have an ovarian cyst which was 4mm. A few weeks later they looked at the cyst again, and it went down to less than 1mm. Now I'm scheduled to go in every 6 months for a vaginal ultrasound.This month I did have a tiny bit of spotting between periods.My general doctor thought I might have a neuropothy, and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist did not agree with the neuropathy diagnosis. She however had no answers for me.The pain in my right leg is not constant. Some days I have no pain, while other days it's hard to handle the pain. Other days I'll be walking with virtually no pain, and suddenly my leg will give out on me causing me to fall.Driving a car really hurts. The movement from the gas pedal to the break pedal can be pretty painful.There are no comfortable positions when I'm in pain. It doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down.It seems to be getting worse. I'm also finding that I have little 'pangs' that now are beginning to come and go in different parts of my body, such as the general pelvic area, breasts, underarms, arms, feet, and knees. This may or may not be related to the groin and leg painI'm 40, have normal periods, weigh 160 pounds, have had a c-section, and have a pretty normal medical history other than having had a stillborn child and a miscarriage due to blood clotting at the placenta. My blood pressure is normal, and cholestoral and blood sugar levels are normal as well.Thoughts?I have the same exact pain, including the breast, under arms. 5 years ago I woke up and felt a soreness in my right groin, I thought I felt a lump (wich must have been swelling). I went to my general physicain and started anitbiotics, a month later the pain is getting worse and so started the bloodwork, mri's, cat scans, pet scan, ultra sounds, steroid injections in my spine and deeper, chiropractors, physical therapy, massage therapy, 7 different pain killers, sleep aids, anti-inflammatory, anti depressants for 2 years until I agreed to a cystectomy with exploratory surgery. i woke up from surgery with the same groin pain and gave up.I lost my job for all the missed time at work and never got a diagnosis. Previous to this I may have taken tylenol for a headache once a yr. Now I am in chronic pain all the time permeating from my groin through my hip. I don't have health insurance and if I did it would be preexisting condition. I do not believe in sueing but of all the doctors I saw not one truly cared to listen to me or help me. (One specialist came in with a intern and proceeded to diagnose the wrong side of my pelvis/hip on my second visit)I am looking to correspond with a physician that can help me with the politics of medicaid or I would happily volunteer for a case study or research. I know at this point I would also be considered permanently disabled.I have one very important issue to bring up or please expand on this topic. Every doctor wanted a gynecological exam and ultrasound. I ended up with surgery in my uterus when I need microscopy in my hip joint (which I begged for) Does anyone else feel the first thing they want to blame is being female?
    twhited 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have severe groin pain on the right side, which is causing severe throbbing leg pain. I'm only effected on the right hand side. This has been going on for a little over a year. I did have a vaginal ultrasound, and did have an ovarian cyst which was 4mm. A few weeks later they looked at the cyst again, and it went down to less than 1mm. Now I'm scheduled to go in every 6 months for a vaginal ultrasound.This month I did have a tiny bit of spotting between periods.My general doctor thought I might have a neuropothy, and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist did not agree with the neuropathy diagnosis. She however had no answers for me.The pain in my right leg is not constant. Some days I have no pain, while other days it's hard to handle the pain. Other days I'll be walking with virtually no pain, and suddenly my leg will give out on me causing me to fall.Driving a car really hurts. The movement from the gas pedal to the break pedal can be pretty painful.There are no comfortable positions when I'm in pain. It doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down.It seems to be getting worse. I'm also finding that I have little 'pangs' that now are beginning to come and go in different parts of my body, such as the general pelvic area, breasts, underarms, arms, feet, and knees. This may or may not be related to the groin and leg painI'm 40, have normal periods, weigh 160 pounds, have had a c-section, and have a pretty normal medical history other than having had a stillborn child and a miscarriage due to blood clotting at the placenta. My blood pressure is normal, and cholestoral and blood sugar levels are normal as well.Thoughts?i came across your post today as i was doing some researching on groin pain. I have the same things you've had...c-section, stillborn, miscarraiges due to blood clotting in placenta. I was curious if you figured out your groin pain? please help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2011
    • 06:36 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement