Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

severe degenerative disc disease with radiculpathy

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: virtious22
  • May 20, 2007
  • 08:37 AM

:( about 12 years ago when I was in the military, I slipped down about 10-12 concete steps and landed on my back, neck and head. At the time I did not have much back pain, but about 2 months later, I notice a lipma lieson on my back while I was out in the field. I was suffering stiffness and could hardly move. I continue to have low back pain, stiffness, numbness down the right leg and weakness. The military diagnosis was degenerative disc disease with radiculapathy. I continued through the military and went to work. I throughout the years I notice that my low back pain was chronic. I continued the stiffnes and the pain soon became an everyday thing. about 5 years after my initial fall, the pain had gotten so bad that I could hardly move in the mornings and with any activity. I begin to full weekness and could not bend or any activity would cause pain. As the pain contined for two more years, I begin to experience severe pain to the point where I could not walk. The right leg became completely numb and the pain in my lower pain increase to the point where I had to use a power chair. My range of motion was severly deteriored. I went to an Neurosurgeon and he told me that I have a severe case of severed degenerative discs disease.. at L-3,4, L4,L5 with Radiculopathy. If I would not have went to an outside Neurosergeon I would not have know that my disc had severly degenerated. The VA doctors just said that I had a mild case of DJD and had no explanation to why I could not walk. I am 11 months out of the power chain, but if I do any activity, like bending, or if I move in a wrong way, the condition severly disables me until it decides that will not hurt. I have continued to have numbess in my right leg, I have lost hight, about an half inch or more. My back hurt everyday, but not as intense if I do absolutly nothing. I have little pain if I have not activity. I am relieve somewhat by sitting or lying down, but even too much of that leaves me stiff. Sometime my whole back, spin hurts so bad. What can I do.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement