Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

severe degenerative disc disease with radiculpathy

Posted In: Medical Stories 12 Replies
  • Posted By: virtious22
  • May 20, 2007
  • 08:37 AM

:( about 12 years ago when I was in the military, I slipped down about 10-12 concete steps and landed on my back, neck and head. At the time I did not have much back pain, but about 2 months later, I notice a lipma lieson on my back while I was out in the field. I was suffering stiffness and could hardly move. I continue to have low back pain, stiffness, numbness down the right leg and weakness. The military diagnosis was degenerative disc disease with radiculapathy. I continued through the military and went to work. I throughout the years I notice that my low back pain was chronic. I continued the stiffnes and the pain soon became an everyday thing. about 5 years after my initial fall, the pain had gotten so bad that I could hardly move in the mornings and with any activity. I begin to full weekness and could not bend or any activity would cause pain. As the pain contined for two more years, I begin to experience severe pain to the point where I could not walk. The right leg became completely numb and the pain in my lower pain increase to the point where I had to use a power chair. My range of motion was severly deteriored. I went to an Neurosurgeon and he told me that I have a severe case of severed degenerative discs disease.. at L-3,4, L4,L5 with Radiculopathy. If I would not have went to an outside Neurosergeon I would not have know that my disc had severly degenerated. The VA doctors just said that I had a mild case of DJD and had no explanation to why I could not walk. I am 11 months out of the power chain, but if I do any activity, like bending, or if I move in a wrong way, the condition severly disables me until it decides that will not hurt. I have continued to have numbess in my right leg, I have lost hight, about an half inch or more. My back hurt everyday, but not as intense if I do absolutly nothing. I have little pain if I have not activity. I am relieve somewhat by sitting or lying down, but even too much of that leaves me stiff. Sometime my whole back, spin hurts so bad. What can I do.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Virt You said you've been to the VA, have you filed a claim with the VA? Have you recieved your rating yet? Have you brought the medical records from the outside DR to the VA for them to look at? Cala
    Cala1234 57 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes, I Do Have A Rating Of 100%. But It Is Not The Rating And Compensation. It Is The Pain. It Is The Fustration Of The Everyday Pain And Inability To Walk At Times. The Pain Is So Overwelming That At Times I Get So Depressing. Doing The Time I Could Not Walk, That I Went From 146lbs To 107lbs. I Want To Not Live Anymore. But Now I Have Regain Weight To 134lbs And My Condition, As Long As I Am Not Active The Pain Is Not As Bad. This Is Very Miserable To Live Life Like This. Do You Have The Same Systoms?
    virtious22 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Virt I was asking about the rating to make sure you at least had that done. Did you bring the 2nd opinion documents to the VA? What did the 2nd opinion DR say, you need surgery? What did he say about that in regards to making your pain better? Is the surgery what you want and the VA wont do it? I ask all of the questions to get a better idea of what it is you are looking for. If I get a better idea, besides the fact you hurt, I may be able to assist you. No I don't have low back pain, I have dejeneration and bulging in my C spine, surgery is not an option for the C spine. cala
  • Yes the VA has the second opinion and agree with the findings. The outside surgeon does recommend surgery, but only through the abdominal are, but he said it will be a great risk and there is no guarantee of success because of the damage of the root nerve. I am not asking only asking if all the symtoms I have compare to someone elses or if they are having the same thing and if they are going through the same pain and fustrations. My surgeon did say that I made not every be healed because of the damage. I have considered surgery but the doctor said if we can a void surgery, unless I completly lose bowel control, although I do have sever constipation. I know that I have express how much i hurt, but until you have gone through this you can't understand how much this affects your life and lifestyle and how depressive this is. I guess that I am looking for some suggestions
  • sorry about the misspelling, but the medication i take for pain causes me to lose concentration and the ability to remember things.
  • Oh ok, like I said you were not clear in what you where looking for. I do now have back problems so I do not think I can be much help.
  • Hi I Have Read What You Wrote And It Sounds Like You Are Suffering Like Me. I Am Trying To Find Out Were I Can Go To Get Help I Have Had Several Injectons In My Back Which Didn't Help Therapy And In Dec 06 I Had The Spinal Cord Stimulator Put In And Was Worse Than Ever. I Am Being Medicated So That Some Days I Have No Energy Sitting Standing Lying Down I Cannot Get Comfortable. The Doc Just Recently Took My Driving Privelages Away. I Feel So Very Helpless And Depressed All The Time To. You Can Write To Me If You Need Someone To Talk To
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This site might have some more info for you. They mention radiculopathy as a condition healed by their treatment.http://practitioners.meditech-bioflex.com/laser-therapy/conditions-treated-with-laser-therapy.phpThey helped by shoulder pain when I couldn't move my arm above 90 degrees for over 15 years.Ryan
    The Laser Evangelist 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone, I'm a disabled vet too, with Degenerative disc disease in my neck (many buldged discs), with ridculopathy in my left arm. The neurosurgeons won't do surgy on me until I have more tingling or numbness in my hands/arms. The only advice I have is to see a chiropractor, and push to get the surgeries you need, make sure you take copies of your MRIs.
  • Hello to you all,im new to this site,my name is Maurice and live In England,i have Spinal Stenosis Syndrome at different levels.I had surgery in 2000 L4/L5 laminectomy to try and stop things getting worse,now walking sometimes is impossible due to weakness and severe pain,have been to pain management clinic,they said the only thing was to have injections under Xray into the spinei refused this treatment,because the more you have the more you need, My neck is inoperable,it is to dangerous,this causes muscle wasting left side arm can not raise arm up,the surgeon told me that he does not know how far and when the levels of spacity wil progress so 7 years down the line,i am almost wheel chair bound So carry on the best you can while you can i live and love every daybecause there is some body worse off Happy Days Mossy
  • Hello to you all,im new to this site,my name is Maurice and live In England,i have Spinal Stenosis Syndrome at different levels.I had surgery in 2000 L4/L5 laminectomy to try and stop things getting worse,now walking sometimes is impossible due to weakness and severe pain,have been to pain management clinic,they said the only thing was to have injections under Xray into the spinei refused this treatment,because the more you have the more you need, My neck is inoperable,it is to dangerous,this causes muscle wasting left side arm can not raise arm up,the surgeon told me that he does not know how far and when the levels of spacity wil progress so 7 years down the line,i am almost wheel chair bound So carry on the best you can while you can i live and love every daybecause there is some body worse off Happy Days Mossy
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Virt I was asking about the rating to make sure you at least had that done. Did you bring the 2nd opinion documents to the VA? What did the 2nd opinion DR say, you need surgery? What did he say about that in regards to making your pain better? Is the surgery what you want and the VA wont do it? I ask all of the questions to get a better idea of what it is you are looking for. If I get a better idea, besides the fact you hurt, I may be able to assist you. No I don't have low back pain, I have dejeneration and bulging in my C spine, surgery is not an option for the C spine. cala I am new to this forum, but your statement caught my eye. Why do you say that surgery is not an option for the C spine? Is that for you specifically? Because surgery on the C spine is performed everyday around the world, for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with herniated discs, spinal stenosis, a wide variety of problems that result in chronic pain unless surgically decompressed. Could you clarify what you meant? Paulo
    Paulo60 1 Replies
    • January 27, 2008
    • 04:12 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement