Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

no appetite, no energy, sour stomach in morning

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 15, 2007
  • 06:55 PM

Hello,
I have been feeling bad for approx 60 day. I have no appetite, no energy, my stomach is sour sometimes in the morning. After a few hours of being awake, the sour stomach usually goes away. I feel a bit weak when I am walking around (feels like when your blood sugar is low). If I am laying down or sitting on the couch, the weakness isn't noticeable usually. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning because I have no energy and feel exhausted. I tend to feel better at night than I do during the day. The morning is the worst. I have stopped doing erands with my wife and have decline to go out to eat several times because I don't feel well enough to go. My wife indicates that I am more quiet than usual (which is true). I don't know if all of this is because I am sick or I am depressed. I am not sitting at home crying all the time. I do feel frustrated because this has been going on for so long.

The Dr. has given me several blood test: cbc, thyroid, liver, kidney, esr, cea, blood sugar. All test have come back good
I had a chest Xray and a adominal and brain Cat Scan. These test also came back good.

The Dr. thinks that I have depression. I have tried 4 different anti depresants and stopped each for one reason or another (made me droggy, couldn't sleep, didn't think it was working, etc). The Dr. now has me on Paxil 40MG. I took Paxil for 10 years prior to this and stopped because I thought it was no longer working. I was on 20mg before.

I have been off work for 2 weeks now because I don't feel good enough to go in the office.

Can depression cause symptoms such as I am describing? Can these symtoms last for awhile before relief starts to occur? Is there any other medical issues I might be having? Is there anything I can do to jump start my appetite and get my energy back?

Thanks,
Lance

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• Lance Dear Albany...mommy catI've so far heard from NY,PA,CA,WA,OH,MD,MA,WV,Fl and even Austrialia, United Kingdom and SpainKnow thisIn the 80's there was an ME outbreakwhat did they do with those people? they weren't quarantinedyet they had a contagious communicable disease spread as easily as the common coldA Pediatrician in Upstate NY documented cases of children in the 80's when outbreak occuredLos Angeles also documented their casesMontel Williams did a show on Tuesday regarding a "sudden surge" of Fibromyalgia in LosAngelesI asked my doc if Fibromyalgia could, in fact, just be a mild form of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis...see the connection? I'm a nurse, I didme, my cousin, sister in law and her sister all have ME symptoms to varying degrees...mine being the worstmy mother, my cousin's mother and sister in laws mother all previously diagnosed with FibromyalgiaSo, you see...location had nothing to do with it...this is PandemicPlease keep in touch...I will even give you my phone number if you would like to talkI feel like a "One Woman Band on World Tour" right nowneed support from others if we are going to do something about thisIt's time...I'm rallying the troops...let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • Lance visit www.ahummingbirdsguide.com your symptoms are there so are everyone's I mentioned in the above post also visit www.ncf-net you will see what I mean.... God Bless...mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • Can anybody else offer any insight? Lance
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Lance, GI symptoms such as those you've described, together with fatigue, can indeed manifest in the presence of depression. An exacerbation of symptoms may have been brought on gradually by your decision to withdraw from the Paxil. Realize that these drugs must develop something known as steady-state plasma levels in the bloodstream to provide continuous dose-related therapy. Many patients taking medications in this form often elect to discontinue because they don't feel that the medication is working. It's important to understand that in the presence of certain environmental stressors or circumstance, drugs designed to attenuate the signs and symptoms of depression can be overcome. The drug does not provide universal relief. I don't subscribe to "chronic fatigue sydrome," which is simply a label for a theorized physical illness whose symptoms are actually derived from clinical depression. The fact that all your diagnostic tests came back negative is a good sign and tends to rule out the more important concerns. Sour stomach is a common name for acid indigestion and this is best controlled by using one of the proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec or Nexium to bring about relief. The important thing to remember with these therapeutic agents is that they MUST be taken approximately 1 hour before meals and never afterward. You must take these drugs as prophylaxis to the acid indigestion and not in response to it like you would with maalox or tums. It's also possible that you may be experiencing some acid reflux. It's important not to eat any sooner than 3 hours or so before bedtime. Stay away from caffeinated beverages like coffee and tea because they tend to be acidic in nature and will only aggrevate your symptoms. If you are experiencing difficulty in expelling gas through eructation (burping) then you can try some sodium bicarbinate found in preparations like alkaseltzer. Lastly, depending upon your age and whether you're experincing any pain or discomfort in the lower left abdomen or cramping, with difficulty making bowel movements, feeling feverish at times, then it's quite possible that you may have diverticulitis, which is quite common and can easily produce long-lasting discomfort like sour stomach. If you're over 40, then it's worth your time to investigate whether you may have some diverticulii that have become inflamed. Although we see evidence that it can run in families, there is also evidence that it may somehow be related to stress in certain cases. Either way, it's certainly treatable. An enhanced CT scan or colonoscopy can readily detect the presence of inflamed diverticulii and treatment consists of several antibiotics and rest, making alterations in your diet to include more fiber once the bowel is less inflamed. You'll be fine. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 00:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear Dr Cottle... Do you "subscribe" to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis? My doctor didn't "Subscribe" to it either and kept me going on the medical merry go round for a number of years without a proper diagnosis or treatment. I finally recieved a correct diagnosis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis after suffering for a long time, by a very qualified Neurologist from England. If you research information on ME/CFS, you will find that is is real. very real. It almost took my life. If you would like some scientific evidence, research information on mycoplasma, Plum Island, Merck Pharmaceuticals, The Office of Pathology US Army...for it is here you will find your answers. Donald ScottGarth NicholsonGalloShyh Ching Lo It is an illness caused from the testing of biological weapons on the people of the globe. Don't believe me? look around. Mycoplasma infection is everywhere.Oh, and not the harmless little stuff that was originally found in nature, but the manipulated forms that Merck's researchers created under US government contract. These men I mention are reputable in their field. http://www.whale.to/m/scott7.html#IV_-_COVERT_TESTING_OF_OTHER_DISEASE_AGENTS_ here is a good place to start Happy trails mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 01:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • here is another good one http://www.rain-tree.com/myco.htm forgive me my manners, but my feathers get ruffled when people don't believe a disease exists that nearly took my life. My doctors arrogance and ignorance stood in the way of my health. Thank goodness for the doctor who knew his stuff!! best regards mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The Main Human Mycoplasma PathogensPathogen / Implicated Disease (1-6) Mycoplasma genitalium Arthritis, chronic nongonococcal urethritis, chronic pelvic inflammatory disease, other urogenital infections and diseases, infertility, AIDS/HIVMycoplasma fermentansArthritis, Gulf War Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lupus, AIDS/HIV, autoimmune diseases, ALS, psoriasis and Scleroderma, Crohn's and IBS, cancer, endocrine disorders, Multiple Sclerosis, diabetesMycoplasma salivariumArthritis, TMJ disorders, Eye and ear disorders and infections, gingivitis, periodontal diseases including even cavities.Mycoplasma hominis and Ureaplasma urealyticum Pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, non-gonococcal urethritis, vaginitis, cervicitis, amnionitis, pyelonephritis, post-partum septicemia, neonatal pneumonia, neonatal conjunctivitis, Reiter's syndrome, peritonitis, wound infections (C-section), low birth weight infants, and premature rupture of membranes. Mycoplasma pneumonia Pneumonia, asthma, upper and lower respiratory diseases, heart diseases, leukemia, Steven-Johnson syndrome, polyarthritis or septic arthritis, CNS disorders and diseases, urinary tract infections, Crohn's and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Guillain-Barr syndrome, polyradiculitis, encephalitis, and septic meningitis, autoimmune diseases. Mycoplasma incognitus andMycoplasma penetrans AIDS/HIV, urogenital infections and diseases, Autoimmune disorders and diseasesMycoplasma pirum Urogenital infections and diseases, AIDS/HIVMycoplasma faucium, M. lipophilum and M. buccale Diseases of the gingival crevices and respiratory tract
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • PS... depression is a chronic fatigue symptom. chronic fatigue is not depression symptoms... you've got it all wrong I know, I know, you are the doctor so therefore you know more than me. Well, I am a nurse who almost died from CFS... I researched my nose off for hours on end days, weeks, months at a time. Perhaps you have had more "education" but I have "educated" myself as to the real happenings in the world today and it is there that I found my answers. best to you mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 01:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HELLO I HAVE had the same symptoms for a year when I was 23 years old. I lost weight, didnt eat, etc. I saw a great Gastroenterologist. he did a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. The endoscopy and Biopsy revealed H PYLORI BACTERIAH PYLORI BACTERIA CAUses the symptoms u described. you get depressed because you don't feel well and can't eat. We get energy from eating well. H PYLORI BACTERIA is common and most people don't even have symptoms. we get it from a bout of food posioning. Left untreated-H PYLORI Can turn into stomach cancer (but it takes 10 years I was told) So get an endoscopy. If u have H PYLORI BACTERIA you doctor will prescribe antibiotics. Maybe you can also have an overactive acidic stomach. In that case, PRILOSEC has worked for me by turning off the pump in the stomach that produces the acid.Your depression could be secondary to your not feeling well and not being able to eat
  • HI Lance, i know this is an old post, but by chance i'm hoping you may stumble on it again, or it could help another person.first of all, eat fiber!try changing your diet and start exercising.. i have stomach problems, had high cholestoral, high blood pressure, etc. and since i have changed my diet and started to exercise my problems have almost stopped.. Also, read a book called the "maker's diet", this will definitely help you out!http://www.makers-diet.net/storybehindbook.htmSometimes doctors are quick to prescribe a quick fix pill, primarily because that is what most people want.. i have several friends who are on High blood pressure pills, high cholestoral pills, heartburn pills, etc.. but they eat whatever they want and never excercise, etc. if that is what you are looking for then go to a doctor.. but it could be possible that your body is telling you to change your diet, that is what your body is designed to do.you should always consult your physician.. but, you should also take care of your body and be careful of what you eat.. also, try seeing a sports doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2009
    • 03:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Chronic stomach symptoms can be giardia. Fatigue and sour stomach are definitely some of the symptoms. Lots of people go undiagnosed for years. Wouldn't hurt to get tested anyway.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2009
    • 09:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This might seem basic, but I had the same symptoms for about a year. It was horrible - I was falling asleep at work, couldn't make it through a single movie without dozing off.. and my stomach had me doubled over many nights. Truth be told, it was all a matter of lifestyle. I was keeping irregular hours, and eating terrible food (tasted good, but bad for me). I switched my diet - started eating lots of veggies (I mean at least 4 a day), 1 or 2 fruits a day, dropped all my "white" carbs to whole grain, and started paying careful attention to the labels of food. It's amazing how many foods contain MSG and preservatives along with other chemicals whose names most of us can't pronounce - and these all can cause complete lethargy in sensitive people (particularly MSG). I also gave up greasy foods (which was a huge problem), and limited my sweets to once a day. Sounds awful, right? I had to give up all of my seemingly healthy "meal bars" and even my wonderful frozen dinners (lean cuisine being the 1 except since they're pretty good about no preservatives). Anyways, after all of this diet reform I really started to have a lot more energy. I've never been overweight and have been exercising 5 times a week since I was 16. So it seems like this is what really did it. Also - do you drink coffee? Some people are pretty sensitive to it, particularly when stressed. Try switching to herbal teas for a few weeks and then going back to coffee. Coffee also has the effect of chronic lethargy because it inhibits the absorption of vitamins and also removes many of them from your body. Lastly, do you go outside much? A good 15 minutes of low-uv sunlight a day is a huge help. If it's cold outside, try using a "natural light" lamp.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2010
    • 06:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I have been feeling bad for approx 60 day. I have no appetite, no energy, my stomach is sour sometimes in the morning. After a few hours of being awake, the sour stomach usually goes away. I feel a bit weak when I am walking around (feels like when your blood sugar is low). If I am laying down or sitting on the couch, the weakness isn't noticeable usually. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning because I have no energy and feel exhausted. I tend to feel better at night than I do during the day. The morning is the worst. I have stopped doing erands with my wife and have decline to go out to eat several times because I don't feel well enough to go. My wife indicates that I am more quiet than usual (which is true). I don't know if all of this is because I am sick or I am depressed. I am not sitting at home crying all the time. I do feel frustrated because this has been going on for so long.The Dr. has given me several blood test: cbc, thyroid, liver, kidney, esr, cea, blood sugar. All test have come back goodI had a chest Xray and a adominal and brain Cat Scan. These test also came back good.The Dr. thinks that I have depression. I have tried 4 different anti depresants and stopped each for one reason or another (made me droggy, couldn't sleep, didn't think it was working, etc). The Dr. now has me on Paxil 40MG. I took Paxil for 10 years prior to this and stopped because I thought it was no longer working. I was on 20mg before.I have been off work for 2 weeks now because I don't feel good enough to go in the office. Can depression cause symptoms such as I am describing? Can these symtoms last for awhile before relief starts to occur? Is there any other medical issues I might be having? Is there anything I can do to jump start my appetite and get my energy back?Thanks,LanceHi! I work in the drug and alcohol field. I listen to a lot of stories varying from childhood to medical problems. A lot of times one overlap the other. The peson may be being treated for mental health and medical problems at the same time. The thing I hear of and see a lot is people having problems with their THYROID-have you been tested for thyroid. My doctor and most of the doctors I worked with in this field seem to agree-thyroid mimicks depression. Just a suggestion -might be good to look into this. Good Luck-afellow human being.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2010
    • 09:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Smoke a joint. Not even joking, Cannabis will make you so hungry you WILL eat and is proven to help with depression. Only problem is its illegal in most parts of the world, so if you can get it medically prescribed then go ahead
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement