Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Extreme fatigue, short of breath, light headed to almost passing out PLEASE HELP!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 204 Replies
  • Posted By: fatigueisme
  • May 14, 2007
  • 08:31 AM

Basically the title is the basic (if you can call them that) symptoms that I have been having. I am a 22 professional male and consider myself healthy... I look perfectly fine on the outside as well. I am aprox 6ft 200lb...

Someone please help me on this I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long read

This has been going on for some time now and started about 2 years ago.

2 years ago I was at working and nothing was out of the ordinary. All the sudden I got light headed and was what I thought on the verge of passing out. I got almost euphoric and could barely talk sorta. By the way euphoric is really the only way I can explain it... basically like being not in control and like I am in a daze as if i got 1 hour of sleep and was almost drunk... it was really wierd and I have a hard time explaining it. Then I walked outside to get some air... started throwing up (mostly dry heaving). I ended up going home from work and sleeping for about 6 hours because I could not really function and was on a panicy side. I got 8 hours of sleep that night is the wierd thing. Thought nothing of it and when I woke up was fine and continued to do my thing.

That continued to happen with the dazed state lasting different times most of the time. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours.

When it subsides I am beyond tired and worn out and exhausted... its like a ran 5 miles on 4 hours of sleep I suppose.

I went to the ER multiple times because in my mind I thought of it to be that bad... It seriously fdeels like I am out of control in the sense that I think I am fading away... I get extrememly light headed to where I think I am going to pass out... the vomiting aspect has subsided now though and I have not had one of these spells in some time now though.

Now though about 5 months ago some new symptoms have come to light and the light headed has for the most part subsided except for a few occasional not that bad episodes...

At this point I am so exhausted I can barely function at work and am EXTREMELY fatigued. I get a healthy ammt of sleep but NEVER feel rested any more... It is VERY frustrating. The whole day I go on like I have had 1 hour of sleep no matter how much I get... I feel like this the entire day and he urge to want to sleep is always there... I am MISERABLE all day long and dont know what to do I have done everything I can think of and researched countless hours in search of something that mimics my symptoms but cannot really find anything that matches all of them and my DR doesnt know what to do either I dont think.

This is my main symptom along with the explained next one. Its exhaustion so bad I cannot function sometimes or can but need a brake during the day to collect... sometimes I go out to my car at work and take a nap instead of lunch time. I no longer want to go out and do anything any more either... Now that is saying something for the lifestyle I have and all the friends I have that would like to go out and do things... I just dont want to do anything any more and my loving g/f of 3 years is very frustrated as well but for the most part understanding which is I think the only thing keeping me going...

Also I gotta add the other symptom that is appearing is short of breath. Almost to the point that one night I almost went to the ER because I thought I was going to stop breathing... It is extremely scary when you cant breath and the dr doesnt have an explanation for it... It happens out of the blue and I cant predict when it is going to happen it just does throughout the day then somewhat goes away completely but then will show up again with a vengance for no reason.

The shortness of breath symptom is starting to get more frequent as well...

Also I have irritable bowel quite a bit, Found a large ammt of blood in stool but only once and slight blood sometimes but nothing too bad I suppose, weak, sometimes have abdominal pain in my lower left hand side... that is infrequent however, I did have some what we thought was ringworm spots on both arms but they went away on there own without anything - seemed a little wierd, and most of the time when I am short of breath I get bloated... sometimes I get bloated without the shortness of breath as well.

Also a really wierd thing is if I have a shot or two of alcohol I feel ALOT better... its really wierd but thought worth mentioning because I dont know if it corrolates with anything.

My DR has also prescribed me Provigil which does not seam to help all that much just makes the shortness of breath worse once the drug is wearing off it seams... but I have a hard time differentiating considering I get short of breath anyways

I must note
I have had a heart ultrasound, brain scan (also with dye), halter monitor worn, multiple blood workups done, anemia test, chest x-ray, ekg,eeg,ecg and not sure what else I am leaving out... could probably answer it thought if i was asked...

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP. THANK YOU GUYS for reading all this I really do appreciate it and will check back often to answer anyones questions.

THANK YOU AGAIN,

RYAN

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Hi there are a few things I could possibly come up with - have you had any blood tests at all? You should ask for a full blood count and see what that comes up with - there might be a bleed somewhere in your body but so small its not causing you much harm but causing your blood harm.The other thing i can think off right now is some kind of diabetes - only because you said that if you go out and a few shots make you feel better - theres alot of sugar in them.As for the tiredness can you have a nap duing the day - generally people start feeling sleepy around 2 - 3 so maybe have a hours sleep - as long as you can sleep at night time as well!!! Hope this helps a bit x
    wigggy 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Indeed the first thing to check is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Doctors can test but it often gives a false negative. A related problem is too much insulin. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia and http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/?p=390Try this: through the day, every hour, eat a bit of cheese and about 15 raisins - always protein and carbs together. Never eat much, but frequently. In between, snack on peeled apples, only a quarter at a time. Eliminate ALL simple sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, sweet carbonated drinks, candy etc. Add more fish (tuna in brine) and plenty cabbage, cooked in water and flavoured with a little unheated olive oil and Trocomare salt. In 3 days you will start feeling better, if this is the problem. Then obtain a complete diet for hypoglycemia.For the breathing, make an experiment: Carry an asthma inhaler with you, try it when opportunity comes. Then you will know if you have asthma. If you still have tonsils, you may be having sleep apnea. Get homeopathic Resque Remedy drops. Remember to only take homeopathic drops (directly on the tongue) while there are no other tastes in the mouth. Add Vitamin-B12 (complex), Omega-3 (salmon oil) and of Vitamin-C 1000 mg (slow release). Walking long distances outside is the best exercise.There may be allergies underlying your condition. Try NAET treatments, visit www.naet.com to locate a therapist in your area. A traditional Chinese doctor is another great idea, see www.acufinder.com to locate one.I'm impressed with a site I found, http://www.westonaprice.org/sitemap.html - be sure to read this one: www.westonaprice.org/soy/complaints.html whole page (!) and elsewhere http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm .. There is a lot of soy in commercial bread, in almost everything.Other sites you might need:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthmahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apneawww.parathyroid.comwww.ahummingbirdsguide.comwww.edgarcayce.org/health/database/health_resources/chronic_fatigue-syndrome.aspwww.edgarcayce.org/health/database/health_resources/poor_Circulation.aspwww.drcarley.comhttp://members.aol.com/doctorrmosk/articles/hidden.htmhttp://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/hol_nutr-def-symptoms.htmwww.drugs.comwww.rxlist.com
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ryan...please visit www.ahummingbirdsguide.com there are several people on this site having similar symptoms...read "Contagious joint pain" Just look at headings of threads on this site...they all say the same thing...wierd things going on...fatigue, short of breath, light headed...all symptoms of ME...If the hummingbird site is confusing...google symptoms of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis...there was an outbreak in the 80's...I'm being tested...my cousin, sister in law and her sister all have sx...our mothers all have fibromyalgia...Myalgic Encephalomyelitis...see the connection??? On Tues Montel Williams did a show on a sudden surge of Fibro in LA...in the 80's when the outbreak of ME happened...LA was hit the hardest...way too many coincidences...it is not only epidemic...but pandemic...I've even heard from others in foreign countries.....I am a nurse and live daily with many sx of ME. I have all of your and many others, Best of Luck anf Godspeed.mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • could be cardiac in nature considering the syncope and shortness of breath. have you ever seen a cardiologist?
    thechronic 12 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello. this is his girlfriend and i just wanted to reply and let you everyone know that he has had many blood tests which all came back normal, takes naps during the afternoon, has been checked for diabetes and hypoglycemia, has been checked for asthma and has been to a cardiologist which all came back normal. im seriously worried about him and no one can give us any answers its like were stuck and he is still not better. i wish someone could tell us whats wrong with him. its really upseting
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • has he had a ct or mri of the brain?
  • Another thought....has he been seen by a psychiatrist to rule out an anxiety disorder?
  • Another thought.....has he had a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea and/or other sleep disorders?
  • Hi there are a few things I could possibly come up with - have you had any blood tests at all? You should ask for a full blood count and see what that comes up with - there might be a bleed somewhere in your body but so small its not causing you much harm but causing your blood harm.The other thing i can think off right now is some kind of diabetes - only because you said that if you go out and a few shots make you feel better - theres alot of sugar in them.As for the tiredness can you have a nap duing the day - generally people start feeling sleepy around 2 - 3 so maybe have a hours sleep - as long as you can sleep at night time as well!!! Hope this helps a bit xYeah I have had more blood tests than I can think of or care to remember I think about 15 tests or more... not really sure thought but its been alot... The whole taking shots thing is really wierd yeah and I do not have diabetes and have actually used my brothers tester (he is diabetic at 15) and used it for a couple weeks whenever I felt symptoms but was well within range of normal and was usually perfect no matter how much I had eaten... and i wish i could sleep at work lol thanks
    fatigueisme 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • could be cardiac in nature considering the syncope and shortness of breath. have you ever seen a cardiologist?Had every test done possible on the heart and they say it is in great shape.
  • has he had a ct or mri of the brain?I have had a heart scan actually... have not seen a psychiatrist I really dont think I have any sort of mental problem... I am perfectly 100% healthy and always have been I love doing things and pretty much love life.On the note of sleep apnea or things along those lines I have not been tested yet but am within a week or so as soon as i can get an appointment along with seeing a lung dr... sorry cant remember the name pulmologist or something like that. My lung appt is set for 3-4 weeks from now they are booked and it sucks I really dont wanna wait that long but whats another month of misery I suppose
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• and to mommy cat and curly cat I dont really think that is what it is though... I have no pain and the light headed is almost instant which is not a symptom of CFS and also the short of breath comes and goes and is unexpected at time.. I do also have an inhaler that I was prescribed and it doesnt help ALL that much with the shortness of breath... its more of a deap shortness of breath but I have no idea what asthma is so who knows I guess...and to curly I will check those sites out thank you... but I have really had no signs of hypoglycema I suppose and have carried around a blood monitor with me i used from my brother for a week or so and could never get it to be abnormal... only occasional 150 spikes but at that point I wasnt feeling anything at all and then the times when i was feeling all out of whack it was normal...a side note i do have somewhat high blood pressure.. like 150/90 iIIRC
  • and to mommy cat and curly cat I dont really think that is what it is though... I have no pain and the light headed is almost instant which is not a symptom of CFS and also the short of breath comes and goes and is unexpected at time.. I do also have an inhaler that I was prescribed and it doesnt help ALL that much with the shortness of breath... its more of a deap shortness of breath but I have no idea what asthma is so who knows I guess...and to curly I will check those sites out thank you... but I have really had no signs of hypoglycema I suppose and have carried around a blood monitor with me i used from my brother for a week or so and could never get it to be abnormal... only occasional 150 spikes but at that point I wasnt feeling anything at all and then the times when i was feeling all out of whack it was normal...a side note i do have somewhat high blood pressure.. like 150/90 iIIRCHmm- I have the impression that something you are in contact with gives you this "allergic" reaction. It could be a contactant or an inhalant.I used to be allergic to polyester- I did not know it but everytime I wore polyester or I had polyester bedding, I would be like that- very sick. I was given something to dilate my lungs at the ER- but conventional doctors could not figure it out. There was also mold in my home.I found out what was making me sick by using NAET. It took me a while but I have been symptom free ( dizziness, light headedness, shortness of breath, tingling,mental fog, hyperventilation and blackouts) for months now.Keep a journal of the things you eat, wear, touch, inhale, etc after and during the attacks. Wear a mask and gloves randomly, see if something goes differently.Ciao! Best.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hmm- I have the impression that something you are in contact with gives you this "allergic" reaction. It could be a contactant or an inhalant.I used to be allergic to polyester- I did not know it but everytime I wore polyester or I had polyester bedding, I would be like that- very sick. I was given something to dilate my lungs at the ER- but conventional doctors could not figure it out. There was also mold in my home.I found out what was making me sick by using NAET. It took me a while but I have been symptom free ( dizziness, light headedness, shortness of breath, tingling,mental fog, hyperventilation and blackouts) for months now.Keep a journal of the things you eat, wear, touch, inhale, etc after and during the attacks. Wear a mask and gloves randomly, see if something goes differently.Ciao! Best.Its funny you say that because I have been thinking that for quite some time now but really cant put my finger on anything because it happened so out of the blue... another time it happened when i was in seattle staying at a hotel and that was the worst ttime ever... the major light headed symptom thing lasted almost two days though and continued throughout no matter what i was doing... dr's didnt know what to do when i went to the er and said i was fine... gave me a couple liters of salin and let me go... I had to have a friend that was with me drive me back to portland where i am from because I could not get the strength up to drive back... I was that physically drained... that is part of the reason I have not checked alergies because I didnt or dont think alergies could be that bad nor could last that long and be that horrible. It was not fun at all... I was in bed for a couple of days even after I got back... by the way the drive from seattle to portland is only about 200 miles... that is nothing for me... i used to drive straight from phoenix to portland straight through 22 hours and all. So this whole being tired thing is completely new to me and VERY frustrating... sorry for rambling
  • please look at www.ahummingbirdsguide.com or google symptoms of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis...read where I've posted...you will find hundreds, if not thousands with similar symptoms In the 80's there was an outbreak of ME it is contagious for a brief period after catching it several family memebers with ME sx and 3 of our mothers have fibromyalgia in the 80's LA was hit the hardest Montel did a show on Tues about a sudden surge in Fibromyalgia in LosAngeles Fibromyalgia Myalgic Encephalomyelitis...see the connection?? I'm not saying he has it...I'm just saying several others with same thing Good Luck and God Bless.mommy cat
  • Mommy cat - Phoenix .. Los Angeles - here is your answer:http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta355.htmhttp://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta349.htmhttp://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta261.htmSo this is why I had to come to these forums :(
  • Curly...I completely agree with the articles above...I've realized at this point in my life...anything is possible I do not believe, however, that any of this is related to our illness It is very concievable to me as well as others, that a virus is responsible for what is happening to proboably millions in this country right now Due to the lack of control of this virus in the 80's, in the USAmillions are suffering ME symptoms 20 years later What did they do with the ME people of the 80's???? They didn't quarantine themthey were contagiousthey were living in our communitiesgoing to our schoolswere in banks, post offices ectvirus can be spread respiratorysomeone dropped the ball and now millions, including myself are suffering I'll march all the way to Washington barefootI'll stand at the gates of ***l and give the devil a run............... At this point...I'll do what I can...while I canThanks, Curly...mommy cat
  • Mommy cat - Washington knows, and no longer cares. Remember Katrina? The virus that destroys brain and nerves, cannot be responsible if serious cases can be completely cured. If you ask the elders of your Hopi Nation, they will explain. Rock is busy breaking deep under the ground. This causes radiation and a release of poison gas. There have been complaints here from Australia, the UK, Greece, a few Turkish names, and specific places in the USA - all of them on the stretch zones. No single, reliable M.E. virus will be found. There will also be an uptick (pun intended) in other viruses and bacteria. Please read those articles with more attention? It would be the scientific thing to do. Thanks!
  • fatigueisme,You say you live in Portland? Get yourself to an alternative doc - there are zillions to choose from in the Portland area! There is Oregon College of Oriental Medicine and National College of Natural medicine, two schools where you can go for reduced rates of treatment. Find a certified NAET practitioner by visiting www.naet.com - this treatment rocks! An Oriental Medical, NAET practitioner or naturopath may really be able to get you back in balance. ON the Western diagnostic front - have you been tested for LYMES?Do you have seasonal allergies or sinus problems? Any ringing in the ears or plugged ears or hearing loss?Are you taking any meds - for your hypertension or other problems? Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Its funny you say that because I have been thinking that for quite some time now but really cant put my finger on anything because it happened so out of the blue... another time it happened when i was in seattle staying at a hotel and that was the worst ttime ever... the major light headed symptom thing lasted almost two days though and continued throughout no matter what i was doing... dr's didnt know what to do when i went to the er and said i was fine... gave me a couple liters of salin and let me go... I had to have a friend that was with me drive me back to portland where i am from because I could not get the strength up to drive back... I was that physically drained... that is part of the reason I have not checked alergies because I didnt or dont think alergies could be that bad nor could last that long and be that horrible. It was not fun at all... I was in bed for a couple of days even after I got back... by the way the drive from seattle to portland is only about 200 miles... that is nothing for me... i used to drive straight from phoenix to portland straight through 22 hours and all. So this whole being tired thing is completely new to me and VERY frustrating... sorry for ramblingYes- regular allergy tests can't ID the allergen if you are allergy to carpet glue, formaldehyde, polyester, or others.I would be sick for days after going out once- I was reacting to all kind of stuff- it was scary.Look into NAET , naet.com Read some testimonials. There is the testimonial of a girl who used to pass out and bang her head with the floor everytime she was exposed to shampoos or cleaners. I was not that bad, but I had tunnel vision for sometime.- Naet worked for me, so I wish it does it for you.ps: go with your gut.Best.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement