Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Recurrent boils on inner thigh

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 57 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 10, 2007
  • 11:50 AM

For the past couple months I have been getting boils on my inner thigh. It is restricted to this area and the first one I thought was an ingrown hair but when I tried to squeeze it it was EXTREMELY painful. It was like a hard lump under the skin. After squeezing it, it got even bigger and the area around it became all red as well. Then it looked like there was a pouch of pus on the surface the next day and I punctured it with a needle but I couldnt drain it all out. It took several days to heal and left a purple scar. And everytime one heals, a new one comes along. What is going on?!?!

Reply Flag this Discussion

57 Replies:

• That happened to a girl I went to highschool with. Turned out it was a staph infection or something like that (she thought it was boils, too) and after a while it got so bad she actually had to have the knots removed surgically, as well as lymph nodes in the surrounding area because they became permanently swollen due to their reaction to the infection.I'd suggest seeing a doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would too suggest seeing a dermatologist. You may get some antibiotics to fix the problem. Still, it doesn't mean the problem won't come back :(
    KnowSUMthings 153 Replies Flag this Response
  • MRSA is a possibility I would check that out.
    Nobody 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds like Hidradeniti Suppurativa. Here are some links about it: http://www.hs-usa.org/hidradenitis_suppurativa.htm or http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/hidradenitis_suppu.htmlOr you can just google it! I found this out due to my own symptoms and it keeps reoccurring! Hope this helps!
  • ive got the same kind of problem on my right thigh..the area goes like a boil at first swells with a hard lump deep under the skin and goes all inflamed.. which ended up busting weaping pus right down to my knee.. then the surrounding area went black. This problem keeps coming back and spreads. Now i have 3 spots of it. Anyway..doctor told me it's probably a staph infection. So far it's been treated 3 times by different antibiotics.. in which it appears to clear..but only weeks later it's back again. The last time i went to doctor over it.. (it now really flares up everytime my immunity is a bit low..it used to be like constant thou), he said i'll have to get surgery on it, to remove it, if i want it gone.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Depending on it you are a teen and not sexually active...could be MRSA and you need treatment, but if you have had sex, you need blood tests for herpes 2 and syphilis. The doctor needs to analyze one of them and do blood work.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too suffer from this all the time. and many people believe it to be MRSA here are some facts about inner thigh/under arms/in creases of skin boilsmany time when these boils form it is because your sweat glands have become infected many people who are over weight will have this problem not only in the thigh area but also under the arms and in the creases of skin areas if it folds (IE where you swaet like your bra line!) many times if you keep the area clean and dry they will go away after a few dasy to about a week also the area around the boil and under neath can become very hard and very large, I have seen them the size of about 2 golf balls it IS best to see a dermat. and/or doc. because yes it could MRSA or another type of infection if you are under the age of 40-50 with a strong immun. system the prob. of it being MRSA is very slim because yes MRSA can live on your skin for long periods of time (up to about a week or so if you dont shower) most of the time it wont harm us unless your imm. system is down and or had surgery MRSA shouldnt be the case. but like I said early get it checked to be on the safe side! now as for how to deal with these ***n bumps one should NEVER! and I mean NEVER pop/drain them on there own serious infections can def. be caused and also the infection that comes out along with the puss will spread on to your skin there for causing more boils in other areas! its not the puss that causes the spreading but bacteria that comes out with the puss. if one should open and drain on its own (happens a lot if you are active at work and/or in your sleep) wash the area with a achne/drying soap making sure the area stays clean and dry is key! to help prevent them from spreading and coming back up. also one trick i found to be very useful if you have a very large one and your active at work and can barly walk (you guys who have had this know what im talking about) if you place some steral NON-STICK gauze on top of the boil and wrap around thigh with a ace wrap just tight enough so when you walk to gauze will no slip and fall and to where you can walk with mod. to min. pain is best never put it tight enough to delb. pop it, and once again when you get off work clean the area and keep it dry! i hope this helps and yes if you see a doc/derm. there are antibiodicts you can take,creams to use and also scar care creams i hope this helps!
  • I am going through the same problem now...It really does hurt like crazy! I am going to see a doctor and suggest the same thing to anyone else who is experiencing this same problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 02:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • MY MUM HAD THE SAME THING AND IT WAS DIAGNOSED BY A REALLY GOOD DOCTOR. it is called bullous pemphigoid and it is caused by a low immune system. it is tretable with steroids but initially it takes quite a high dose to suppress your own immune system but within 5 days it was under control, hope this helps ive got the same kind of problem on my right thigh..the area goes like a boil at first swells with a hard lump deep under the skin and goes all inflamed.. which ended up busting weaping pus right down to my knee.. then the surrounding area went black. This problem keeps coming back and spreads. Now i have 3 spots of it. Anyway..doctor told me it's probably a staph infection. So far it's been treated 3 times by different antibiotics.. in which it appears to clear..but only weeks later it's back again. The last time i went to doctor over it.. (it now really flares up everytime my immunity is a bit low..it used to be like constant thou), he said i'll have to get surgery on it, to remove it, if i want it gone.
    alypaly 36 Replies
    • October 21, 2008
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter is 2 years old and she has been having this problem for five consecutive months now. It started as one bump, that turned into something that looked like a spider bite. We took her to the doctor, who prescribed oral antibiotics and said that if it did not clear up in two days to bring her back in because she feared it could be MRSA. Well, we brought her in, and then the doctor sent her to children's hospital so that the abscess could be surgically drained because it was no better. It was an awful and traumatic experience for my baby. Three different doctors told us three different things. They could not diagnose her. I had to ask them to take a culture of the abscess. It was on her butt/hip area and the size of a fifty cent piece. Anyway, it took me calling the hospital over and over, and then finally calling her doctor back for them to give me the diagnosis. The report was that she had MRSA, but the doctor still sounded unsure. Since then she continues to get these bump. I have to drain them now, otherwise I will end up paying $750 every time I take her to get one surgically drained. That is what it cost me because they had to put my baby under. Never again! Well, when other bumps started coming up, we took her to the doctor again, who gave her oral antibiotics again, without even knowing fully if this was MRSA again.This last time we took her to the doctor for it, I told the doctor I did not want her to have oral antibiotics anymore since MRSA is resistant to them anyway. I told him I want him to find something topical so that she won't become resistant to antibiotics later if she really needs them. (What ever happened to treating thing locally anyway. Now, the first thing a doctor gives anymore is antibiotics. For ear infections, they used to prescribe drops, now it's antibiotics... .... what's up with that? ... ...)At work, my friend happened to have a similar experience, and she recommended an antibiotic cream called MUPIROCIN. I got the prescription from my daughter's doctor, and it works wonderfully! It zaps those boil looking, painfully annoying bumps almost immediately!... every single time.Thank God!
    ebamarie 1 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 06:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 20 years old i have had this problem for about 2 years.. When i first got it i thought i was beacause i had gained a lot of weight fast.. But then i started to think, my thighs have always rubbed i have always had big thighs, i shower everyday, i put baby powder between my legs b/c i have had problems with head rashed between my legs. They started to get to the point that they were coming in clusters, i used everything imaginable, i used boil ease that only worked for about 2 weeks then they became immune to it, it seemed. I used chafe cream, that did not work. I went to the doctor 4 times and everytime they just gave me a different antibiotic, which never worked and i stopped going to the doctor when one of the antibiotics gave me an allergic reaction and while i was in the er i had one of the doctors look at it and he just prescribed me another one.... Maybe it is the doctors in twin falls but nothing seems to be working... Until recently.. I have had a really bad athletes foot infection for the past 2 months and once agian the doctors are stupid about it and im going on the 4th doctor.... But they have all given me anti fungals, well while im taking them the boils go away till the day i stop taking them then they i get like 3 at a time..... Do i need to take them forever?? I take them up to 3 weeks at a time... They dont work for my foot but they do for the boils.... I have some really bad skin problems does anyone have any helpful advise??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 07:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Having suffered from these boils/spots for many years. I'm now 26 and have got to the point of exhaustion using numerous different miracle creams/diets/pills/boil aids etc etc. My doctor has been very helpful with prescribing me all the latest meds and advising me on what I could try diet/exercise wise. Sadly no use as the spots continue stronger than ever. I get red spots, purple boils, some with pus some without, some are infact ingrown hairs some not. I've now tried something a little drastic but it has worked significantly and coming from someone who had a new spot/boil every other day I have only had one since using it 2 weeks ago. Its a TCA peel ordered from makeupartistschoice.com. I used it initially on my face to rejuvinate and freshen the skin and remove old spot scars from when I was a teen but I randomly decided to use it on my inner thighs where the problem is worst for me. Its now peeling the top layer of my skin and most spot scars have smoothed out and gone. Like I said only one more appeared near to the time I began the peel, since nothing. I'm really happy with the result and will continue to use the TCA peel every few months untill all marks are gone and no more boil/spots appear. You can use one bottle for full thighs around 3 times. All instructions are included and it costs approx £15 each incl p&p. You might find it cheaper elsewhere if you shop around. Either way I'm happy and would like others to have the opp to try something that might help resolve this horrible problem. Best of luck guys. At least it helps to know there are a few of us suffering from this embarassing problem.
  • In response to ebamarie:1) MRSA is not resistant to all oral antibiotics2) people don't become resistant to antibiotics bacteria do; whether or not antibiotics work for her in the future will depend on what she is infected with3) a lot of infections no longer respond to local treatment either because they have become resistant or they are too deep for the cream/drop to penetrate tooIf the cream worked that's great but I just thought I should point out that there are a lot of cases where it will not be enough."This last time we took her to the doctor for it, I told the doctor I did not want her to have oral antibiotics anymore since MRSA is resistant to them anyway. I told him I want him to find something topical so that she won't become resistant to antibiotics later if she really needs them. (What ever happened to treating thing locally anyway. Now, the first thing a doctor gives anymore is antibiotics. For ear infections, they used to prescribe drops, now it's antibiotics... .... what's up with that? ... ...)At work, my friend happened to have a similar experience, and she recommended an antibiotic cream called MUPIROCIN. I got the prescription from my daughter's doctor, and it works wonderfully! It zaps those boil looking, painfully annoying bumps almost immediately!... every single time."
    brittneyanne13 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have suffered for years with boils on my inner thighs. I was prescribed long term antibiotic (tetracycline) treatment by a dermatologist. I believe it was helpful in promoting healing but it was not effective in preventing outbreaks. The antibiotic caused gastrointestinal problems so minocycline was prescribed but I had a severe allergic reaction and had to stop treatment.On one of my last visits the dermatologist mentioned that he had read some literature that suggested wearing jeans might be the cause. So I stopped wearing jeans and am very delighted to share that my thighs cleared up and the only time I have a problem is if I wear jeans - I will have new eruptions within days of wearing jeans. Occasionally, other heavy material pants have caused the problem which I have solved by wearing cotton boxer briefs. Hope this helps.
  • I get them all the time.The doctor said its just like acne and gave me antibiotics to take every time I get them.Then I got hives from the pills, which was worse!
  • I have the same thing right now!!!!!! Help!! I've had it before, and I found putting a bandaid on it did help the last time I had it. This time, I'v put a bandaid, cream, powder and it's still there.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 24, 2009
    • 11:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For the past couple months I have been getting boils on my inner thigh. It is restricted to this area and the first one I thought was an ingrown hair but when I tried to squeeze it it was EXTREMELY painful. It was like a hard lump under the skin. After squeezing it, it got even bigger and the area around it became all red as well. Then it looked like there was a pouch of pus on the surface the next day and I punctured it with a needle but I couldnt drain it all out. It took several days to heal and left a purple scar. And everytime one heals, a new one comes along. What is going on?!?!I have had these for years. My dad had them, one of my sons has them. I have been numerous times to the doctor and two dermatologists over the years. (One last week) I've heard everything from infected hair follicle (which I don't by because of how often I get them), boil, gland infection. One thing they all agree on is that it's NOT MRSA. I use an acne wash (zoderm) and an acne cream (?) when they appear. They are so painful and debilitating. I agree with the comment about weight. Mine are worse when I am heavy and eating too much sugar. They were much better when I lost weight. I think the rubbing of skin has something to do with it, thus the inner thighs and underarms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 20, 2009
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these but went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics its not mersa trust me some overweight people get them but im so embarresed because i cant wear spandex but im in volleyball cuz i feel so left out cuz im not and it leaves a whole bunch of scares on my thigh and i no if i lose weight i could never wear short shorts or bikinis and im also embarresed cuz what will a guy think when we are having sex im nevous
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 00:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i know what this is like as well as i have many many many of these all over my legs they are boils that form on the inside of my thighs where they rub together and under my gut where the skin touches each other (yes im fat try 360 pounds fat and trying my best to lose it but to no avail) i have no health insurance and cant afford a doctor so i went to my aunt whos a nurseshe told me shes never seen it before because it started off on one spot of my leg where i used to sit on a computer chair all dayand has been constantly spreading ever sincei know have around 20 purplish black scars on my leg (they do heal but for each one it takes around 2 months to go away) any time im sick and my immune system fires up to fight the cold or flu the spots start going away so im thinking a infection of some kindthing is they hurt REALLY BAD and i used to let them just bust on their own but now i dont know what to doi used to weight 400 pounds and yes the 40 pound loss has helped some with my health but is not helping thisi know i need to see a doctor and i need help bad but i just cant affordcan anyone recommend a way to see a doctor for free or a organization to help with the bill
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2009
    • 06:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I two have suffered from this for years, while I am over weight by 40 lbs; I was diagnosed with Boils..Not sure that is correct or not. I have a couple currently and after reading all the threads to things comes no mind...1-Mine always fairs up when I wear jeans 2-and when I get sweaty while sleeping at night. My doctor did prescribe 500MG of CEPHALEXIN which if taken as soon as I feel soreness, does tend to shorten the life of these things; however it does not help with the left behind scaring. It does however limit the soreness and pain if taken as soon as I notice soreness. I too I’m at my whit’s ends with these things…as they are so painful on the inside of my legs, it’s impossible to walk…I am going to call my doctor to see if I can get a prescription for the MUPIROCIN Cream mention by another poster.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2009
    • 10:02 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement