Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

stomach swelling

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 9, 2007
  • 09:47 PM

I am considered obese because I am overweight. I weight 250 lbs. I am 5'9" tall and have been told my ideal weight is 150 to 175 lbs. I had a baby in June 2006. I lost 40 lbs before I got pregnant and during my pregnancy I only gained 40 lbs. So basically, I have maintained the weight of 250lbs for the last year and a half. My son is now 10 months old and I still look like I am 7 to 8 months pregnant. I realize that I am overweight...MY DOCTOR HAS MADE THAT VERY CLEAR! But I insist that there is something else going on in my belly. I was never this bloated before my pregnancy and now every where I go people ask me "When are you due?" And I embarassingly say "I'm not pregnant!" I know this bloating is NOT NORMAL! It starts underneath my breasts and continues to my groan. I hope that someone will have a explanation or a suggestion (besides "Lose Weight") that will help me determine what is happening to my tummy.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I understand. The same thing happened to me....but here is what I think. First, I think everything gets pushed around when the baby grows. Also, stomach muscles just aren't the same for some post baby. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I kept eating for 2 after the baby and BF. I recently lost 20 pounds (have 80 to go to reach my normal weight). I lost it all in my belly and chin! I was always pear shaped before preg., then I turned to apple. I think I also changed my diet while losing the weight. Hardly any sugar, fried, processed foods except for some crackers and bread, occ. Now I am starting to look like a pear again. I also felt less bloated. The last week I fell off the nutritious-eating wagon, and I've gained 5 pounds back within this week and am bloated feeling again. Is it a coincidence that I also have a yeast infection? I think not. I got the yeast overgrowth from prolonged antibiotics use, but I am wanting to eat more since the infection. Like I can't get something that tastes satisfying so I just keep "tasting". So what I am saying is it could be candida/yeast. While weight may not be the issue, the treatment may be the same: changing what you eat....things that do not contribute toward bloat (sugar, bread, pasta). Also, thyroid and hormones are completely messed up after preg. and don't always normalize up to a year after birth! I have heard that Hgc hormone can rearrange fat distribution a bit--I know of some that are using it for weight loss/fat loss. Did you have diabetes while preg.? Just to be sure, I would check with your OB/GYN. Have some of your hormone levels checked. If you are BF, or recently stopped, prolactin levels can keep you lactating for a year after stopping BF. Ascites....swelling of the abdomen with fluid due to liver not functioning well. You would have other symptoms with this. If you find out, please post. I understand your frustration
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It could be alot of things. I recently lost my uncle. He was always a thin person but in the last year to year and a half ,he got huge. He died very unexpectadly. I would have your doctor do a diabetes test. My uncle died of an enlarged heart. We still don't know what caused it but if If you have shortness of breath and are tired alot and feel that it could be something like this I advise you to get it checked ASAP!! Your life could very well depend on it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement