Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Left abdomen and left back pain discomfort

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Bristol
  • May 8, 2007
  • 03:11 PM

:confused: I have mild pain and discomfort in my lower left abdomen and into my side and back. In my side it feels like a pulled muscle but mild pain in the back and left abdomen. I have had mild episodes of diahrea but it usually goes to normal after a few days. I have noticed for past couple years a need for bowel movement soon after eating. My side feels better when I stretch it out. My left abdomen seems to hurt sometimes when I take a deep breath. When I stretch out my left abdomen it feels really tight. This has been going on for several months. Started out as tenderness in left side. Most days symptons are mild but are still there. Some days it really bothers me. On the days when it really bothers me I have noticed a more frequent urge to urinate but when I do it is kinda week. Most days that is normal. I had a gallbladder attack 5 weeks ago and followed up with ultrasound and hida scan. Have gallstones and sludge but surgeon says 50-50 on if I should have gallbladder removed. My regular MD "looked" at my left side condition. He mashed around and ask questions. Said it could be diverticulitis but he doubted it. I had a clean colonoscopy 7 years ago and another clean one 2 years ago. My MD said since those were good and they did not mention diverticulitis he would not worry much about it. He did say my gallbladder problem should not be causing the issues on my left side and back. I have not had any more gallbladder issues and I am trying to make a decision on the surgery. My main concern is the left side and back issue. Can anyone help?

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Have you been checked for H. Pylori? i have had it - took the antibiotics and got it again 2 years later
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi.I know this may sound really silly but have you had blood tests done for appendicitis?My family have a history of appendicitis and their symptoms were not always your typical right side pain...even myself,when i was 18,i had abdominal pain generally all over and it lasted for months & months.The other thing check your kidneys out?good luck and hope the future finds you healthier.
  • Have you been checked for H. Pylori? i have had it - took the antibiotics and got it again 2 years laterWhat were your symptons?
  • Any chance it could be your kidney? It would give back pain and may refer the pain to your abdomen. It may also be accompanied by diarrhoea.
  • I agree with the check for appendicitis. But another thing... Did your doctor have an ultrasound done in that area when he was checking you out? I am not sure if you are a male or female, but I am female and I had very similar pain (deep, front and back) for nearly a year, off and on and didn't find the cause until an ultrasound was performed. I had torsion of the ovary... very serious, but not life threatening if caught early enough.
  • :confused: I have mild pain and discomfort in my lower left abdomen and into my side and back. In my side it feels like a pulled muscle but mild pain in the back and left abdomen. I have had mild episodes of diahrea but it usually goes to normal after a few days. I have noticed for past couple years a need for bowel movement soon after eating. My side feels better when I stretch it out. My left abdomen seems to hurt sometimes when I take a deep breath. When I stretch out my left abdomen it feels really tight. This has been going on for several months. Started out as tenderness in left side. Most days symptons are mild but are still there. Some days it really bothers me. On the days when it really bothers me I have noticed a more frequent urge to urinate but when I do it is kinda week. Most days that is normal. I had a gallbladder attack 5 weeks ago and followed up with ultrasound and hida scan. Have gallstones and sludge but surgeon says 50-50 on if I should have gallbladder removed. My regular MD "looked" at my left side condition. He mashed around and ask questions. Said it could be diverticulitis but he doubted it. I had a clean colonoscopy 7 years ago and another clean one 2 years ago. My MD said since those were good and they did not mention diverticulitis he would not worry much about it. He did say my gallbladder problem should not be causing the issues on my left side and back. I have not had any more gallbladder issues and I am trying to make a decision on the surgery. My main concern is the left side and back issue. Can anyone help?Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the exact same symptoms? The Dr. can't figure it out.
  • Look into diverticulitis.... affects left side of colon and caused diarreah and lower back pain! Kiera
  • Bristol, have you checked with any urologists? Have they looked for kidney reflux? It is just a possibility, being an adult, kidney reflux is not common and most what I find is on children. I have had kidney stones two years almost one year apart. Then this last year, I began having pain on my left side, just above ovaries, into my hip and flank pain-kidney area. I had an ultra-sound done which showed possible fluid in kidney, doctor went in with a scope to see it and check for stones and found an infection in ureter, another scan to check for reflux (said it was negative, but we found differently later), and recently had deflux completed. Still having pain, could be scar tissue build up, but during the deflux process they did find a hole where the ureter connects to the bladder. I feel confident that we did find a problem and fixed that, but still have questions as the pain comes and goes again and is still in hip area too. I go back in a couple of days to see my urologist for my 2 week check up. Overall, the pain is better and not as often, it was constant before, and am hoping we are avoiding future kidney damage.Good Luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2011
    • 05:37 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement