Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Heartburn? / Chest Pain

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 5, 2007
  • 08:26 PM

I've had the following symptoms for about the last 4 months:
Constant chest pain below breast bone in middle of chest and Heart Palp.
Went to the Dr.(I thought I had Heart problems) and had EKG ,blood tests,Barium swallow and CT heart scan done.
All tests were negative(except high colesterol).
The Dr now thinks I've got Reflux and put me on PPI medication(Last 6 weeks).
About a week ago my throat got sore and it feels like food is stuck in chest when I eat,also have gas .
I still have all the symptoms and nothing seems to work.
I think next move is to go for endoscope?
Any ideas or suggestions? I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE !!:mad:

Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• LexorI had similar symptoms and it turned out to be my galbladder. Have you looked up galstones? Chest pain AKA heartburn. Every now and then my heart felt like I was on a roller coaster. I was not your typical galbladder patient nor was I having typical symptoms. But I did have a huge stone and that was discovered right away when the heart burn started. So after about 6-9 months of daily heartburn, and none of the heartburn drugs helped, they finally as a last ditch effort took out my galbladder. Turned out the patholgy of it was - i had a NASTY, ****y etc galbladder with a huge stone. Those symptoms are now gone and I feel better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think I know what you're going through...I had the same thing for three months and nothing, including PPIs, seemed to prevent those intense spasms of chest/esophageal pain. I likened the pain to the feeling that something sharp was lodged in my lower esophagus and forcing it to be painfully distended. I also went through all the tests you did, and all were normal. The good news is that given a lot of time and patience it does get better--or at least, in my case it did. I had some success with using DGL licorice supplements before meals and bedtime, in addition to the PPI. By all means, do the endoscopy, if your doctor thinks it advisable. And if you haven't had the h pylori breath test yet, you might look into that too. Mine was negative though.
  • Thanks for the advice .Hopefully I find awnsers.
  • I had an ultrasound of the gall bladder and an upper GI series which came back normal. An endoscopy (have this test if your doctor recommends it) showed a gastric ulcer. Although the meds I took then presumably healed the ulcer, they did nothing for my symptoms. Finally I had an esophageal manometry. This test should not go on anyone's list of top ten fun things to do, but it was not as unpleasant as the symptoms I was having. This test found the problem, a nutcracker esophagus--a type of esophageal spasm. The condition is now under good control with medication. Good luck.
    nutcracker1 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had the following symptoms for about the last 4 months:Constant chest pain below breast bone in middle of chest and Heart Palp.Went to the Dr.(I thought I had Heart problems) and had EKG ,blood tests,Barium swallow and CT heart scan done.All tests were negative(except high colesterol).The Dr now thinks I've got Reflux and put me on PPI medication(Last 6 weeks).About a week ago my throat got sore and it feels like food is stuck in chest when I eat,also have gas .I still have all the symptoms and nothing seems to work.I think next move is to go for endoscope?Any ideas or suggestions? I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE !!:mad:Thanks.DID YOU FIND WHAT IT WAS? I have a similar problem and doctors are having tough time diagnosing. Send me a note at a_chopra@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 01:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my galbladder taken out about 3 years ago, I still suffer from the same heartburn pain that goes to my back and between my shoulder blades. It seems to come more often now. I started having stomache pain as well. I would appreciate any help!! THANKS
  • I too have this heartburn pain that goes to my back and between my shoulder blades. It seems to come more often in the last 4 mo. It happened to me about 10 years people told me then it's most likely my gallbladder - but I just want it to go away, med kind of help. What is it? I even changed what I eat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2010
    • 08:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have this heartburn pain that goes to my back and between my shoulder blades. It seems to come more often in the last 4 mo. It happened to me about 10 years people told me then it's most likely my gallbladder - but I just want it to go away, med kind of help. What is it? I even changed what I eat.I was diagnosed with this about 2 years ago. Docs told me that i had contacted H-Pylori which is the root cause of GERD/ Acid Reflux and the like. They prescribed my all the usual pills (Prilosec,Nexium....) I believe they intended for me to stay on the pills indefinitely. But i wasn't having that. So i cured my GERD the natural way....and here is the remedy that worked for ME. Dietary change ( I stopped eating wheat and Dairy products) Apple Cider Vinegar (Mix a cap full with every bottle of water dranked) Green Tea after Dinner I haven't had a Reflux flare up since i started the above regimentNever the less, everyone is different so you really have to find out what changes you need to make to your diet.
    ahmardian1 3 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 05:49 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement