Discussions By Condition: Cancer

Can a PET Scan miss cancer?

Posted In: Cancer 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 24, 2006
  • 01:09 PM

My husband is 35 years old, has a 1 year old son and a 4 year old daughter, and has been very sick since May 4th of this year. After an extensive work-up, we are left with no diagnosis and are increasingly frustrated. His symptoms began with high fevers (103) and shaking chills, and a severe headache. The fever and chills went away after 2 weeks and severe muscle pain in legs set in for another 2 weeks. He was also extremely fatigued. During June all was getting back to normal, though he was still very tired. July 1st his fever came back and chills, this time with a dry cough. It seems to be caused by irritation in base of throat. He has now had the cough for 7 weeks. Fever and chills come and go. Fatigue present. We have seen infectious disease doctors, rheumatologists, oncologists, GI, pulmonologist, and traveled to Boston from Maine for a second opinion (ID unit at Mass General, doctor was unprepared and offered nothing new). His one PET Scan came back normal (slight intake in upper chest base of throat) but the doctor said it was normal. Biopsy of lymph node normal, no cancer cells present. GI doc noted 4 additional large nodes in chest area that CT Scan has not revealed..... Does anyone have a clue what is wrong with my husband? Or a direction we should take? We are so tired and and hoping the doctors will make the right choices and tell us what to do. We are not the experts and do not know which tests to repeat and with whom.....(today we see ENT doctor for first time, and I'm pushing for seeing an allergist next) Anyone who has any ideas to share with me can email me at andrea@andreagallivan.com

Many many thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement