Discussions By Condition: Cancer

Can a PET Scan miss cancer?

Posted In: Cancer 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 24, 2006
  • 01:09 PM

My husband is 35 years old, has a 1 year old son and a 4 year old daughter, and has been very sick since May 4th of this year. After an extensive work-up, we are left with no diagnosis and are increasingly frustrated. His symptoms began with high fevers (103) and shaking chills, and a severe headache. The fever and chills went away after 2 weeks and severe muscle pain in legs set in for another 2 weeks. He was also extremely fatigued. During June all was getting back to normal, though he was still very tired. July 1st his fever came back and chills, this time with a dry cough. It seems to be caused by irritation in base of throat. He has now had the cough for 7 weeks. Fever and chills come and go. Fatigue present. We have seen infectious disease doctors, rheumatologists, oncologists, GI, pulmonologist, and traveled to Boston from Maine for a second opinion (ID unit at Mass General, doctor was unprepared and offered nothing new). His one PET Scan came back normal (slight intake in upper chest base of throat) but the doctor said it was normal. Biopsy of lymph node normal, no cancer cells present. GI doc noted 4 additional large nodes in chest area that CT Scan has not revealed..... Does anyone have a clue what is wrong with my husband? Or a direction we should take? We are so tired and and hoping the doctors will make the right choices and tell us what to do. We are not the experts and do not know which tests to repeat and with whom.....(today we see ENT doctor for first time, and I'm pushing for seeing an allergist next) Anyone who has any ideas to share with me can email me at andrea@andreagallivan.com

Many many thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• I'm definitely not an expert, rather a former transcriber with a former dying from Stage IVb esophageal cancer and just having been diagnosed with a rare esophageal disease that is allergic that is called eosinophilic esophagitis which is some type of allergic response in my esophagus. I have had several symptoms with this condition and some of them very acute.I would go ahead and check out the allergy thing. You'd be amazed at what food allergies... can do to a person. The fever I would worry about and the enlarge nodes which is all indicative of some sort of inflammation. I wish you the best.pamela perezSB, CA
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 11:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • coincidentally, my son's father is going thru the same thing. the dr. took blood and we're awaiting the results but the dr. said he thinks it could be lyme disease. lyme disease has those symptons and there's medicine to treat it.
    forgetlee 11 Replies
    • August 24, 2008
    • 08:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • First of all I'd like to wish your family the best. Sometimes local doctors or regional doctors can't give you the right diagnosis. It's better to visit a particular places like UCLA, or hospitals that cater to that type of disease. If the initial diagnosis point to cancer or cancer-like symptoms then approach or email the national center or office for cancer and get better diagnosis from them. God bless.
    Comfortwear 4 Replies
    • August 25, 2008
    • 08:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are from and area with Lyme disease present, also consider Erlichiosis/Anaplasmosiswhich is also carried by ticks.If you traveled be sure to mention this to your physician as various fungal infections can be picked up in endemic areas such as blastomycosis, coccidiomycosisGood Luck. J
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • just had surgery last week to have a cancer tumor removed from my breast and I just met with my doctor last week to decide on my cancer treatment plans. My doctor said that the cancer could have spread to other parts of my body so when I told her that I want to have a PET scan done of my body to determine whether or not it has, she got pretty upset with me and gave me an answer that didn't make any sense at all. I am a grown adult and I should be the one to have a say so or not whether I should have a PET done and not her. Am I able to have this test done even if the doctor doesn't want me to have it ?http://invitation-letter.com./
    invitation 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi, So I had my PET Scan and it showed mets to c spine. The Rad Onc wanted me to get a bone scan so that he could be specific with the radiation.I got the results from the bone scan yesterday. There are multiple foci in the cervical,thoracic,and lumbar spines. Also, left scapula, numerous ribs bilaterally,the bony pelvis, and the right femur. (all new since bone scan of 4/07). I had no idea that I had all these mets...I thought the PET scan would have shown them. So for all with bone mets, it seems Bone Scan is the way to go. I start rads on Mon.http://apostilleinusa.com/
    apostille 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • just had surgery last week to have a cancer tumor removed from my breast and I just met with my doctor last week to decide on my cancer treatment plans. My doctor said that the cancer could have spread to other parts of my body so when I told her that I want to have a PET scan done of my body to determine whether or not it has, she got pretty upset with me and gave me an answer that didn't make any sense at all. I am a grown adult and I should be the one to have a say so or not whether I should have a PET done and not her. Am I able to have this test done even if the doctor doesn't want me to have it ?
    criminallawyer 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • It can but it is my understanding that it is rare.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2009
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • by chance, the father of my son, going through the same. dr. took the blood, and we expect results, but dr. It could be said about Lyme disease. Lyme disease symptoms are not used to treat.
    AllisonAnderson 3 Replies
    • November 27, 2009
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • just had surgery last week to have a cancer tumor removed from my breast and I just met with my doctor last week to decide on my cancer treatment plans. My doctor said that the cancer could have spread to other parts of my body so when I told her that I want to have a PET scan done of my body to determine whether or not it has, she got pretty upset with me and gave me an answer that didn't make any sense at all. I am a grown adult and I should be the one to have a say so or not whether I should have a PET done and not her. Am I able to have this test done even if the doctor doesn't want me to have it ?We are in toronto and my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer only through biopsy and PET scan is very expensive not compared to my wife - we went ahead and got a PET scan done and to our surprise she came out clean. So we are not going ahead with her operation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2010
    • 03:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • just had surgery last week to have a cancer tumor removed from my breast and I just met with my doctor last week to decide on my cancer treatment plans. My doctor said that the cancer could have spread to other parts of my body so when I told her that I want to have a PET scan done of my body to determine whether or not it has, she got pretty upset with me and gave me an answer that didn't make any sense at all. I am a grown adult and I should be the one to have a say so or not whether I should have a PET done and not her. Am I able to have this test done even if the doctor doesn't want me to have it ?I would say that you should talk to your insurance company..if you are paying for the scan, then my lab says you can have it done without a doctor's recommendation.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I also haVe breast cancer my onco ordered a pet scan for me. I have a few doctors seems to me they do what they want regardless If its best for me or not. Its your body and you must take care of number 1 YOU !! You really have to research dont be afraid of her !!Get your pet scan !! just had surgery last week to have a cancer tumor removed from my breast and I just met with my doctor last week to decide on my cancer treatment plans. My doctor said that the cancer could have spread to other parts of my body so when I told her that I want to have a PET scan done of my body to determine whether or not it has, she got pretty upset with me and gave me an answer that didn't make any sense at all. I am a grown adult and I should be the one to have a say so or not whether I should have a PET done and not her. Am I able to have this test done even if the doctor doesn't want me to have it ?http://invitation-letter.com./
  • I just found this post searching Google. I am having similar symptoms, if you're still on this board can you please post an update of what the outcome was? I can search for a doctor here, but I'm not sure what disorder it is. Hope everything got resolved for you and you're back to good health.
    jimbayes 10 Replies
    • August 17, 2011
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Try natural products instead of conventional med. Cured my moms and my cancer!
    janeld 2 Replies
    • August 27, 2011
    • 07:54 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement