Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Sternal nonunion 2 years after triple bypass

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Raks36
  • April 29, 2007
  • 06:58 AM

This could get REALLY long so I'm just going to give everyone the basics. On Dec 14, 2004, I had triple bypass surgery at the age of 35. I had 3 major blockages, left main was 100% before the branch, right main was 90, and other one was 80. It took 5 days to get me off the vent, they say because they operated on me with pneumonia. I had internal bleeding they never did find because I was too critical to open again. I went home 12/23 on oxygen and still with a bad sore throat and hoarse. Anyhow, back to the hospital 12/27 for an emergency trach because the vent caused scar tissue on my vocal cords. I got the trach out 2/1/05 but had throat surgery to remove the scar tissue on 3/15. My sternum was supposed to be healed and I was released from my surgeons care. In either August or September of 05 the wires broke and the sternum opened up about 1/4 of an in. They removed the broken wires in Jan of 06 but said the open sternum was "safe" and just basically live with it. It moves around constantly, and is painful and uncomfortable, so I just did what I could and took pain meds for it. April 2nd 07 they did another CT scan with the dye and now say I have to have the sternum rewired asap because Im in danger, the only thing covering my organs is soft tissue.

I'm getting a second opinion on May 10th, but this is supposedly a rare uncommon thing to happen. I have been having trouble finding much info on the net about it. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Raks36

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement