Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Bacteria in the Blood

Posted In: Blood conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 25, 2007
  • 05:09 PM

Around 3 weeks ago, I went to the doctor for various things that included abdominal cramps and pain, a rapid heart beat, a slight fever, a migraine that was constant throughout the day, among other things. They did a couple of tets to determine the cause of it, and the likely source seems to be bacteria in the blood. They ran the blood culture test and everything, and found bacteria in my blood. When they gave me the results of the test which was about a week later, they told me the name of the bacteria (though I've forgotten it off the top of my head), and said I should just keep my follow up appointment, which is next week (Monday) and they would prescribe me something. I was told that around a week after the first doctor visit.

I was just wondering, is this normal for a doctor? Knowing that theres bacteria in the blood and the patient is evidently showing symptoms? I've been reading online that rarely does symptoms show, but when the immune system is struggling and fighting the invasion by the bacteria and when the immune system can't cope, you begin to show symptoms. When symptoms are seen, anti-biotics are normally introduced because bacteria in the blood can be dangerous, and in some events be deadly if it starts releasing toxins into the blood. I've actually felt better on some days, then worse on others. For example, my joints have hurt on some days and others they feel fine; it's mostly my knee's and ankles. It feel's like pressure. My skin has also been abnormally hot to the touch, and when you press down, it takes a while for the colour to return to my skin and my headache has started up after easing away after they prescribed something for them (bupap). Should I see another doctor? Or should I just wait until my appointment next week?

My sister, she's a respiratory therapist, she doesn't deal with the blood but works around it at the hospital. She said they normally introduce anti-biotics immediately at the hospital. Just wanting to be careful rather than sorry!

Thanks in advance!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement