Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Recurrent boils, ruining my life, please help.

Posted In: Skin conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: xmintyx
  • April 23, 2007
  • 04:36 PM

I've been suffering with recurrent boils for 4 months now, and they are ruining my life. Four months ago, I developed a large, painful abscess on my inside thigh. I went the walk-in-centre and was provided with a week's worth of antibiotics (flucloxacilian, I think). Despite this, I also went the hospital the following day, because I couldn't walk or sit down comfortably. The nurse would not treat it until I had finished my antibiotics.

So, like a good girl, I finished my course. It cleared, but I was left with a small purple scar. The nightmare was not over. Another abscess developed a few days later on the other side of my thigh. This was accompanied by what looked like a couple of spots, but they were very hot, sore and swollen. I went to my doctors and he gave me 2 weeks worth of flucloxacilian.

Again, it cleared. I was left with a larger, purple scar.

A few days later...I broke out in boils. All over my legs, my **m, and a couple on my arm. I went to the doctors again, very distressed. He put me on the same antibiotics, with penicillin and a stronger form of antibiotic. I was taking almost 10-12 pills a day.

They cleared.

Now, they're back.

My doctor told me I should speak to a derm. However, because the infection is not 'life threatening' I would have to wait 3 months on the NHS waiting list. So, in desperation, and going against my own conscience , I have booked a private consultation for the 4th May, which has cost me £100.

I'm in a lot of pain. I can't sleep properly, sit properly, exercise, anything. I can't let my boyfriend touch me, and I'm very upset about these scars. I'm really unhappy. I have no idea what's causing this. I've had blood tests, and everything came back fine, except for the white blood cell count, which was to be expected due to the amount of medication I've been taking.

Please, if anyone could help, or at least share a similar experience, I would be very grateful. I'm 18 years of age, I'm meant to be celebrating my leaver's ball in a few weeks, but I don't think I will enjoy buying a dress etc. I just want to get on with my life.

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement