Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Recurrent boils, ruining my life, please help.

Posted In: Skin conditions 39 Replies
  • Posted By: xmintyx
  • April 23, 2007
  • 04:36 PM

I've been suffering with recurrent boils for 4 months now, and they are ruining my life. Four months ago, I developed a large, painful abscess on my inside thigh. I went the walk-in-centre and was provided with a week's worth of antibiotics (flucloxacilian, I think). Despite this, I also went the hospital the following day, because I couldn't walk or sit down comfortably. The nurse would not treat it until I had finished my antibiotics.

So, like a good girl, I finished my course. It cleared, but I was left with a small purple scar. The nightmare was not over. Another abscess developed a few days later on the other side of my thigh. This was accompanied by what looked like a couple of spots, but they were very hot, sore and swollen. I went to my doctors and he gave me 2 weeks worth of flucloxacilian.

Again, it cleared. I was left with a larger, purple scar.

A few days later...I broke out in boils. All over my legs, my **m, and a couple on my arm. I went to the doctors again, very distressed. He put me on the same antibiotics, with penicillin and a stronger form of antibiotic. I was taking almost 10-12 pills a day.

They cleared.

Now, they're back.

My doctor told me I should speak to a derm. However, because the infection is not 'life threatening' I would have to wait 3 months on the NHS waiting list. So, in desperation, and going against my own conscience , I have booked a private consultation for the 4th May, which has cost me £100.

I'm in a lot of pain. I can't sleep properly, sit properly, exercise, anything. I can't let my boyfriend touch me, and I'm very upset about these scars. I'm really unhappy. I have no idea what's causing this. I've had blood tests, and everything came back fine, except for the white blood cell count, which was to be expected due to the amount of medication I've been taking.

Please, if anyone could help, or at least share a similar experience, I would be very grateful. I'm 18 years of age, I'm meant to be celebrating my leaver's ball in a few weeks, but I don't think I will enjoy buying a dress etc. I just want to get on with my life.

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

39 Replies:

• I had a friend who had boils which cleared up when she went on a strict diet to lose weight. Absolutely no sugar. Also used Phisohex when showering. Which country do you live in?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hey,i started to get boils after the house was flooded by the bayou from Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. well the boils started to occur all of a sudden. it got so bad i would cry because the pain, the uncomfortable pain, of not being able to sit down, it was awful. what we did we went to Walmart and asked the pharmacists and he gave us this over the counter tube it was blue, and the oinment was tar color like and it stunk. i put it over the boiled when i went to bed, and i would put it on every night and it went away, but they would always reoccur. if you get the oinment it is messy, and well since it is black i advice you to wear old pajamas and use old bed sheets so they wont get stained.so i was tired of the oinment because of the mess we went to the doctor and he prescribed me Cipro. well turns out i was allergic to it and i swelled up and turned red all over. BUT it turned out to be the best thing because the Cipro worked. i have been boil free ever since! i hope this helps. email me if you want... lostinurpain0@yahoo.com
  • Hi, I don't know if you're still reading. I hope you have been feeling better. I had similar problems as you described. One boil was on my upper thigh, on the rear, so I couldn't hardly sit down. I got antibiotics but then another popped up. Then I got one on my inner thigh that was huge. It turned out to be a staph infection; they have a name (MSRMA?) and it used to be a problem in hospitals and jails (?!) here in the states, but has become more widespread. Turns out that boil my boyfriend had had months ago was staph and I got infected by using one of his towels or something like that. I have purple scars that are rather ugly -- the one on my inside thigh is just awful. I don't know if this is what you have, but I did want to share. My doctor had me take hot showers with water aimed right on the boil. I had to keep the boil covered with gauze and tape, changing it a couple times a day. I also got an antibiotic I had to apply inside my nose with cotton swabs. I feel like my rendition here is rather elementary -- sorry! It's harder to explain via a post, but you can look up staph on the internet. -Molly
    matildawong 5 Replies
    • August 15, 2007
    • 07:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It does sound like MRSA (methacillin resistant staphylococus aureus). The next time you have a boil have the doctor or ER culture the discharge. This will tell you exactly what antibiotics you need.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2007
    • 03:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It does sound like MRSA. My son had it. The doc said you can get from just about any where and that it is very med resistant. I agree with the prev. post. Next time you have one, get it swabbed(it hurts like ***l) but you'll get the right stuff to treat it. Good Luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I'm so sorry you are going thru this at such a young age. From reading your post, you left one clue that made me almost positive of your problem. I have it myself... Its called Hidradentis suppurativia. Hidradentis suppurativia gives itself away by the purple scars that it leaves as well as the scars being "crater-like". The cause is unknown and antibiotics is only a short term solution. Alot of people like me, and most likely you, have mild cases. The boils only show up on the inner thigh and they seem to break out in phases. Others do have it real serious. The boils can show up almost anywhere on the body, but usually appear in body cracks, such as under the arms, inner thighs, behind the ears, knees and so on. I seem to see an connection in myself between these outbreaks and stress, so I try not to if I can help myself. Hope this helps... oh.. you can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa Or do a google search, but please don't freak out when you see the pictures. They show some really bad cases. Good luck,Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 18, 2007
    • 08:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be this also...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=baghdad+boil&btnG=Google+Search
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 00:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a problem with recurrent boils most of my life. Being top heavy I would get them under my breasts, my buttocks and my thighs Do not play with them. I had gotten one under my breast and because of the pain I never touched it but because of it's location my body rubbed against the boil until it ruptured and of course I thought okay it's going down and will be better but a day later I had a massive infection that required high powered antibiotics and really needed a hospital stay but because at the time I had no health insurance the doctor treated me in the office I still have a spot where u can clearly see how one part of the skin covered the holes but the top layer never did heal over the holes. Always go to the doctor for this type thing They can advise better Thanks for the link I never knew there was a disease for this type of thing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2007
    • 00:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I have had a boil problem for about a year now, and to this day i still get them.The back of my right leg from the **m to the crease of my back thigh is full of scars, this has made me very shameful and un happy as i can no longer wear shorts, skirts, bikinis or short summer dresses unless they go below my knee. I've been on antibiotics numerous times and they did work for a couple weeks but then they would re occur. I am not sure on what to do, im 17 years old and this has completely ruined my life. If you have any information on how to stop this or anything please e-mail me at ellisha-1992@hotmail.comThanks. xo
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2009
    • 00:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been getting recurring abscesses for about five years and I've seen at least four doctors, including dermatologists, and they basically tell me there's nothing I can do. Not a big help to anyone, but one doctor prescribed to me Tretinoin cream (0.1%). It's a cream for wrinkles/aging skin, but I use it on the abscess scars and it has really diminished the discoloration from the scarring (purple scars). I'm only 24, so it's not like I need anti-aging cream. I just thought you might like to know because I have been very self conscious of my scars as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 04:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Antibiotics are only a temporary solution when it comes to skin and gum infections, you have to get the route of the problem sorted otherwise they will always come back. With boils it is most commonly an infected hair folicle or some other bacteria growing in your tissue.Get Magnesium Sulphate paste, it is widely available at most chemists and will only cost you a £1 or so. Be sure to make sure it is a boil or carbuncle (large collection of boils all joined up) this will draw out all the infection and puss, it can be quite messy and sometimes painful.The first time you apply it you should make sure it is very generously applied to the area and be sure the dressing is on tight, this will make it work quicker.It's pretty easy to do and should draw out the infection in 24-48hrs. Simply get some dressing and micropore tape, be sure to wash the area before hand and every time you change the dressing (I use dettol + some salt + boilding water)... once it starts drawing out be sure to change the dressing frequently as the last thing you want is the puss and infection spreadng and be sure to wash your hands and try not to touch the area, if you do wash your hand immediately.Finally don' squeeze or pop the area like you would try with a zit, this will more often than not cause it to swell and make it very painful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 03:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i have been suffereing from boils for about 1 year now. i understand what you have been through and have been through all of it myself. The antibiotics don't really work with me though. currently im recovoring from a boil on my inner thigh, this boil had literally made my whole thigh swollen. yesterday the doctor came to my house as i couldn't walk or even go to the toilet. he just suscribed me with antibiotics. but i found that heat is a great way to speed up the process. try using a heat pad or hot water bottle- it really helps. it's really uncomfortable and painful, im glad someone finally understands me! by the time i went to the derm, the boils had cleared, and a week later they re-appeared. but there was no point booking an appointment because by the time i went there they would have disappeared again. i really hope you get better! and sorry if i wasn't much help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 05:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been suffering with these buggers for a year or more now. I had blood test and urine test for diabetes as apparently they (I was sporting a particularly vicious carbunkle at the time) feed on sugar in the blood and apparently diabetes is a classic cause for reccurrent carbunkles at least. They both showed clear. The quack wants to test me again, yawn!! One of my nurses had never heard of carbunkle (and she was giving me treatment lol.) This particular one, on my left hip/thigh multiplied until I had about eleven on the go at the same time in the same area. The dressing was huge. The pain was huge at times. I have two on my right thigh just getting to that can't ignore the pain stage. Oh and I've been getting them on the inside of my nostrils as well. In fact I've had them there on and off for years. More like sore spots than boils though. I went to the doctors and the walk in center a few times and got antibiotics. But like others on here the effect, if any was short lived. On top of that I am 'between jobs' at the moment but still have to pay for prescription so reluctant to go again.Might try cutting out sugar as suggested and see what happens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2010
    • 10:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I have had a boil problem for about a year now, and to this day i still get them.The back of my right leg from the **m to the crease of my back thigh is full of scars, this has made me very shameful and un happy as i can no longer wear shorts, skirts, bikinis or short summer dresses unless they go below my knee. I've been on antibiotics numerous times and they did work for a couple weeks but then they would re occur. I am not sure on what to do, im 17 years old and this has completely ruined my life. If you have any information on how to stop this or anything please e-mail me at ellisha-1992@hotmail.comThanks. xoi have been getting boils since i was about your age i am now 26 and still get them every day. they are very painful and i was wondering if maybe you found something to help and if you did could you please let me know im tierd of hurting everyday. my e-mail is mgangelbaby@att.net
  • My wife has had a terrible time with these things for years, and I came across this forum doing some research to try and help her. She had the exact same symptoms as all of the posters here, and over the years she's tried just about everything. Tons of antibiotics, cleansing products like Hibiclense, even Acutane because the doctors never seemed to know what caused it and we were desperate. The worst of course was when she had to get them lanced when they got to painful.My wife's sister has also had the exact same problem, and she had an even worse case. But she recently moved and went in to have a particularly bad one taken care of, and the doctor happened to be a woman who diagnosed her right away, she said if was a form of staph infection in her skin. Apparently it's quite resistant to antibiotics and most doctors just don't know what it is or how to treat it correctly.She prescribed my wife's sister Bactroban, and her (we call them owie's) started to go down within the first 24 hours. She immediately called my wife and now she's been on the same treatment for four days now and the result is incredible. All of her problem areas have gone down and she's not having any pain. For the first time in two years she's actually healing!Her sister already finished up with the week long treatment and actually started her cycle (when it's always the worst, flareups and such), and she's had no reoccurance so far!It's really been like a miracle thus far, after so many years of what seemed like torture. It could be seriously depressing at times and I know what it's like, so I thought I'd share what looks like it might be a cure for at least some of you.Remember, Bactroban. You just use a Q-tip to put a little dab in your nose, under your fingernails, and on your problem site twice a day for 5-7 days.I hope this helps, and good luck!
  • I have had them for about 10 years!! They are horrible but manageable. I have been on Clindamycin for 2 years but occasionally have an "outbreak" I just read the post about not eating sugar and Im going to give that a try! Also has horrible as it is, do not wax where you have them! I also get them around my bikini line and it is horrible! If anyone has any other helpful remedies that would be great to hear them!
  • HelloI have it too: its called Hidradenitis Suppurativa: im on long term lymecycline for them (once a day antibiotic). I only get 4 or 5 a year now, instead of 4 or 5 a week.I also use Hibiscrub (available from boots on all the areas i am affected by them)...because apparently they are caused by bacteria which sits on our skin....and some people have more bacteria than othersHope this helps Good luck
  • my husband has the same thing! he has for years. the thing that helps the best for brake outs is honey, hot water and Epson salt. make a compress with a washcloth out of hot water and Epson salt. once the pain has subsided get a large bandage and smear some honey on to it. keep it on until it ruptures. diet is the mane cause of hubby's outbreaks try to take out sweets and carbs for a bit see if that helps.. email me and tell me if it helped you..mothertucker4twenty@yahoo.com
  • hi, im 21 and have had boils on my inner thighs since i was about 13.... dont pop it or try to lance it yourself. buy champho phenique ( i prob spelled it wrong) and try that. just put it on for like 15 mins with a cotton ball with a little pressure and do it often and it will rise. it has worked on all my boils, and ive had allllott. yes it is for cold sores, but the drying action along with pain relief with antibiotic ointment (its kind of like neosporin, but with drying powers) helps bring the infection to a head and when it comes too youll feel like a new person. im almost 100 percent sure that i have Hidradentis suppurativia. so if you are a sufferer of this and need a home remedy that works this is what i do and i truly believe that it works. it might take longer if your boil is new,,,, but if it has gotten to the almighty pain stage where your want to cut your leg off because the pressure is building and your leg is going to explode... then it will come to a head quickly. (or thats my experience) and a plus- it doesnt smell like black ointment.
  • I've been suffering with recurrent boils for 4 months now, and they are ruining my life. Four months ago, I developed a large, painful abscess on my inside thigh. I went the walk-in-centre and was provided with a week's worth of antibiotics (flucloxacilian, I think). Despite this, I also went the hospital the following day, because I couldn't walk or sit down comfortably. The nurse would not treat it until I had finished my antibiotics.So, like a good girl, I finished my course. It cleared, but I was left with a small purple scar. The nightmare was not over. Another abscess developed a few days later on the other side of my thigh. This was accompanied by what looked like a couple of spots, but they were very hot, sore and swollen. I went to my doctors and he gave me 2 weeks worth of flucloxacilian. Again, it cleared. I was left with a larger, purple scar. A few days later...I broke out in boils. All over my legs, my **m, and a couple on my arm. I went to the doctors again, very distressed. He put me on the same antibiotics, with penicillin and a stronger form of antibiotic. I was taking almost 10-12 pills a day.They cleared.Now, they're back.My doctor told me I should speak to a derm. However, because the infection is not 'life threatening' I would have to wait 3 months on the NHS waiting list. So, in desperation, and going against my own conscience , I have booked a private consultation for the 4th May, which has cost me £100.I'm in a lot of pain. I can't sleep properly, sit properly, exercise, anything. I can't let my boyfriend touch me, and I'm very upset about these scars. I'm really unhappy. I have no idea what's causing this. I've had blood tests, and everything came back fine, except for the white blood cell count, which was to be expected due to the amount of medication I've been taking.Please, if anyone could help, or at least share a similar experience, I would be very grateful. I'm 18 years of age, I'm meant to be celebrating my leaver's ball in a few weeks, but I don't think I will enjoy buying a dress etc. I just want to get on with my life.ThanksHi I feel your pain! trust me the first time that one of those stupid boils showed up it left a large scar that is still to this day on my armpit I was around 14, I am 22 now and since that day i have gotten them on my Private area after shaving and armpits after shaving. I have the purple scars myself to prove it,For me it all has to do with shaving, and every one is different. You just have to find out what you did to trigger the onset of it, however i do know that popping them doesnt really help it does make you feel a little better because it relieves the tenderness and pressure most of the time. Also I have gotten them on my thighs before, I use hand scrubbies, or abrasive loofa’s to clean away the dead skin and make sure that you wash them out good after every use b/c they can still have some stuff on it or w/e . I get fewer boils just from the loofa, and it seems to work but every once and a while they come back. When the pus drains make sure you clean the area with peroxide that will kill some of the infected site, also make sure you wash your hands each and every time that you touch the infection, and blood that will come with it from draining. I made that mistake a few to many times to repeat it, it is highly contagious and will spread if you are not carefull. They are highly painfull for me and I have just gotten use to living with them, I have notice that if you sweat b/w your legs a lot, as if your overwieght or even if your not and they rub together or on uncomfortable and irritating fabric like jeans you can get them. I am not a doctor obviously lol but I do feel your pain and I am sorry you have to live with them b/c it sucks big time!!! Go to your dermatologist and have him figure out why your getting them and heal them quicker or maybe prevent them from appearing. I don’t know if that helps but I wanted to let you know that your not alone.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement