Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Always cold.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 56 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 21, 2007
  • 08:35 PM

I am always cold. And when I say always I mean honestly, just about always. Others around me cannot ever believe I am cold. They say things like, "Are you crazy? Its so warm in here," etc. And if there is any time that I do get warm, I am way too warm. It seems like my body just can't control its own temperature or something. Some people have suggested a thyroid problem. I have spoke to my doc once and she said I should just dress appropriately. The only problem is I usually have to wear three layers when most are wearing only a t-shirt, and I am still usually cold. Any ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion

56 Replies:

• Maybe its a problem with circulation.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am always cold. And when I say always I mean honestly, just about always. Others around me cannot ever believe I am cold. They say things like, "Are you crazy? Its so warm in here," etc. And if there is any time that I do get warm, I am way too warm. It seems like my body just can't control its own temperature or something. Some people have suggested a thyroid problem. I have spoke to my doc once and she said I should just dress appropriately. The only problem is I usually have to wear three layers when most are wearing only a t-shirt, and I am still usually cold. Any ideas? it sounds like low circulation, or maybe your just cold-natured. im warm-natured and im always hot, even if its only about 50 degrees outside.
    stormthornnight 16 Replies Flag this Response
  • uncontrolled body temperature??? temp is controlled by the brain stem PLEASE go to www.ahummingbirdsguide.com look at symptoms page...see how many others you have..I'm a nurse and have the same problems...take a look, it will only take a few minutes...mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • First of all, any doc who just tells you to put on more clothes instead of checking your thyroid should be "fired"!:confused: Find another one who will LISTEN TO YOU! To check for thyroid at home get a thermometer and keep it by your bed. Take your temp as soon as you wake up in the am, before getting out of bed. Do this for 5-7 days and if it is consistantly lower than normal (98.6-98.9) then you may have an underactive thyroid. Have you always been this way, or did it occur more recently? Do you have any lung issues (asthma, allergies, shortness of breath)? Do you have frequency of urination? Loose stools or diarrhea? Spontaneous sweating or night sweating? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Momma, will you take a look at my posting please under need advice, thanks!
    Hopeful 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Honey, when was it posted???
  • got it...already written back on your post, hopeful...mommy cat
  • I have the same problem im always cold...i believe it could b a thyroid problem too because i have GHD(growth hormone difficiency). I was born with fewer thyroids than normal. When im cold which is almost always my arms legs and hands start to turn purple. I have just noticed being cold all the time i wasnt always like that thou.
  • I feel your painI'm ALWAYS cold to! My hands go bright purple & blotchy, i often get pins & needles in my hands & legs. When i'm hot, i'm rediculously hot, my face goes really red & i sweat alot (even when i'm cold).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2008
    • 05:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In response to a reply below, taking your temperature at first awakening does not check the thyroid. That checks the ovulation. Your basil body temperature is an average 96 degrees, a whole 2 degrees lower than normal awake temperature. When that first morning temp drops .5 degrees, it means ovulation is occuring. After about 2 mornings, the temp will go back up to 96, indicating ovulation is over. This first morning temp known as BBT will not help check for thyroid problems. In fact, if your first waking temp IS 98 degrees, you're actually running a fever. This only applies if you take it at FIRST waking. Do not get out of bed, or eat or drink anything. The more you move, the quicker your temperature returns to normal. Your body naturally drops an average of 2 degrees at night.
    LadyLeprechan 24 Replies
    • September 26, 2008
    • 04:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am the same wayy!I dont know whats wrong, mostly all day ill be cold, like even to to touch. It will be hot outside but i still need to wear tons of lawyers. I wasent like this all my life, it just started about 3 weeks ago. can anyone tell me whats wrong with me. please?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am 8 weeks pregnant and I am always cold. I just can't seem to get warm no matter what I do or drink. A few people have told me that my iron might be low due to the pregnancy. But I'm not sure what it is. I don't sleep very well because I wake up 4-5 times a night freezing! Please help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 03:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Laurierae, I've always had a problem staying warm. I have heaters blowing on me wrapped in blankets and still freeze! This has only gotten worse since I got pregnant. I too am 8 weeks pregnant and freeze all the time. I had my iron checked last week and it was completely normal. Try eating spicy foods and drinking hot cocoa, since I've found that these things warm me from the inside, ESPECIALLY the spicy stuff!! If you can't handle it or it will give you heartburn or any other undesired side effects, I don't suggest you fill up on spices. Hershey's makes a special nitetime cocoa called Goodnite Kisses and Goodnite Hugs. The Kisses is the chocolate version mixed in 8 oz. of warm milk, and the Hugs is the white chocolate version, just like the candy. It works by not only warming the body but the mind as well. It releases the natural horomone Tryptophan which enduces sleep. This might help you at night. I've also found that staying somewhat active helps too. No, you don't have to run a marathon or join the decathlon, but simple housework and in my weird case, playing Guitar Hero, actually make me sweat!! If none of this works, talk to your dr. I hope this helps, if only a little. Good luck!
    LadyLeprechan 24 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i was searching for it because it only gets worse and worse. i havent been like this all the time and it started these 6 months i think. im always cold and when i say always i mean ALWAYS!! the heating and aircondition are always on..and im having blankets on me..most of the time i wear 3 to 4 layers of clothes and when i get outside i put on more. People dont really understnad how cold i feel and are making fun of me and wont believe me. My arms and feet are constantly freezing, even though i wear tights, 2 layers of socks and boots. they are shivering and i usually get pins and needles and they get numb. and i totally agree with all of you - when im hot im REALLY hot, sweating and turning red. During night i wake up cause im freezing even though i have tons of blankets and huge quilts. i actually feel the heat around me but whatever i do my body remains cold!! i should say that i have asthma, low iron and anemia-NOT A SERIOUS ONE THOUGH. i dont know if they are related. please help me find whats the problem. thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2009
    • 02:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with Acuann on the thyroid needing to be checked first.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 4, 2009
    • 01:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get this also. I have NO clue what it is!
  • I get this also. I have NO clue what it is!I was trying to find people who are the same as me : always cold. It's only September and already I have been so cold a couple of times my hands and feet turned blue. I am seriously dreading winter. I dress in so many layers it takes me an age to get undressed to go to bed. In bed I wear like 4 layers too. I swap layers for others layers. Being cold makes me feel miserable and sometimes nauseous. I wish there was a solution for this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 10:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I have had this problem too. Have your blood tested. I did and found out that I am anemic, which means that I need more iron in my diet because I'm not producing enough red blood cells. This can make you feel cold alot of the time. My doctor told me to take an iron supplement pill called "Slow-FE." He also said to make sure to drink enough fluids and eat lots of veggies and fruits that have fiber since the pills can make you constipated if you don't. Also take the pills after you have eaten since they might give you a bit of a stomach ache if you don't. I just started taking them a few days ago so I don't notice any difference yet, but was told that I should before too long. Good luck-I hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2009
    • 04:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It feels soooo good to see that I'm not the only person in the world who feels like this. I am always freezing as well, and it's ***l. People don't understand how uncomfortable this is and the other problems that come along with it, well at least for me. Being cold all the time also makes me sleepy all the time. I have been checked for everything under the sun and I am perfectly healthy. I found that a higher vitamin C and water intake have really helped. Also taking a really hot bath (to the point I sweat) in the morning helps as well. Oh yeah as stated in the other posting your Dr. should be fired! Its hard when people can't relate. Its not much but I hope this give you some help and comfort.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 08:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel your painI'm ALWAYS cold to! My hands go bright purple & blotchy, i often get pins & needles in my hands & legs. When i'm hot, i'm rediculously hot, my face goes really red & i sweat alot (even when i'm cold). This sounds like my girlfriend's daughter. She has Reynauds. Might check on that and read up on symptoms.
    cozynana 39 Replies
    • October 25, 2009
    • 03:40 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement