Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

reoccurring circular bruise lumbar spine

Posted In: Medical Stories 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 19, 2007
  • 02:20 PM

This bruise comes and goes. It is perfectly round and always at the lumbar spine, at the curvature. It seems to coincide with menstruating. The child is only 14, will be 15 in Dec., but this has been going on since she was very young. She has had several tests run, and all that has been said to her was that she was laying flat on the floor, causing suction between her back and floor and making this place on her... can you believe that?! Could this be malnutrition? She is overweight (wears about a 20-22) and is only about 5'1". She gets very little exercise. Recently her little brother was diagnosed with a kidney stone! His problem was due to bad diet. Any clues about what could be wrong with this little girl?

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• I realize this thread is a couple years old, but I'm posting an answer in the hopes that when someone else types in the same keywords I did, they find something useful.I have had PCOS since I was a teenager (I'm 38 now), and all the joy that comes with it: irregular menstruation, infertility, obesity, and hirsutism. When I do menstruate, I get a circular bruise on my lumbar spine as well, with a unbruised area in the center - a "donut bruise," if you will. The pain where the bruise will be starts about 10 days before menstruation, the bruise develops 2-3 days before menstruation, and goes away about 10 days after it stops. I have not seen a doctor about this, nor do I have extensive medical training. But I quote from an article on menstral complications: "There are 3 potential etiologies that I can think of when there is cyclical bleeding with a direct relation to menses: ... endometriosis." (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/508569)Endometriosis is when you have tissue normally only found in the uterus (endometrium) growing outside of the uterus, usually in the pelvic region (growth is ectopic). Based on our bruising, I would expect that we have ectopic endometrium growing between our ovaries and our back. See a doctor about the possibility of endometriosis; however, keep in mind that they will be sceptical about the bruising-endometriosis link unless you have evidence to back it up: take photos, measurements, and record when the bruise shows up, goes away, and when you menstruate.While this does seem to be a relatively rare occurence based on a Google search, it does happen. If anyone else has more to add, please do so.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am having my period and I have all these strange perfect circular bruises. I am thirty eight and have never noticed this before. Perfect circular bruises on my wrists and the tops of my feet. They seem to be coming from inside, because my husband poked me with his finger in my leg and I didn't bruise. Thanks for the tying it to my period. Good luck to anyone else.
  • My SON has a reoccurring bruise on the lumbar section of his spine, too. If you haven't gotten an answer yet, you may want to search for a connection other than menstration/endometriosis.Please let me know if you have found out anything. We have taken him to many doctors with no answers......
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 01:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 14 and am currently mensturating. I have 2 small bruises forming on my spine. They are not purple or physically visible, but when they are thouched, it is easy to feel the lump and sense that a bruise will be formed. I have had them 3 times, and they dissapear after my period, and come back 2 days after my period begins...HELP?
  • This is a really old thread, but I just noticed this round circular dark patch on my daughter, 10 yo. It's not sensitive, but centered on her spine and the skin color is darker and 6 or 7 inches across. I'll be consulting our doctor if it doesn't go away, but I'd love to know what's going on. FYI, she's 58 pounds and not at puberty yet.
  • Our daughter has a rash (not dark like a bruise) about 6 inches round at the base of her spine. G.P. saw rash and immediately sent us to accident and emergency where they tested for meningitis, blood tests, saliva test and urine sample all negative for any disease.1st Doctor found nothing , registrar found nothing, finally 2nd doctor found slight inflamation in ear and treated with penicillin. She is just 5 years old. Prior to this for 24 hours she had high temperature. Doctors all baffled by rash any ideas ?
  • My son has the same thing. It's a donut-shaped bruise about the size of a baseball and it's right in the center of the small of his back. I've seen it before, so it is defintely a re-occuring bruise.My son has neurological issues and received a spinal tap when he was born (1994). I think it was in that spot too.Is this kind of thing consistent with anyone else? Also he takes a bunch of medications--Seroquel, Paxil, Lamictal, Clonidine--does anyone else know what this could be?
  • You should all look into tethered spinal cord syndrome. My son has the same marks, along with leg pain. We have not been tongue doctor yet, but the discoloration is a symptom of tsc
  • This bruise comes and goes. It is perfectly round and always at the lumbar spine, at the curvature. It seems to coincide with menstruating. The child is only 14, will be 15 in Dec., but this has been going on since she was very young. She has had several tests run, and all that has been said to her was that she was laying flat on the floor, causing suction between her back and floor and making this place on her... can you believe that?! Could this be malnutrition? She is overweight (wears about a 20-22) and is only about 5'1". She gets very little exercise. Recently her little brother was diagnosed with a kidney stone! His problem was due to bad diet. Any clues about what could be wrong with this little girl?I had suction bruise at base of back from a bathtub. Just a thought.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement