Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Seizure-like symptoms

Posted In: Nerve conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 19, 2007
  • 02:41 AM

About 2 months ago my husband called me from work and told me he was "twitching" and I needed to go pick him up. He said it started as something similar to a cold chill, then happened again about 15 seconds later, then again, and finally it wouldn't stop. When I got there, what he described as twitching was not what I saw. His head was nodding and shaking side to side, his right arm was moving like he was shaking something, like a bottle for example. He was in no pain, was fully concious, and still had his normal sense of humor. He even commented, "Give me a glass with milk and ice cream, and I'll make you a shake."

By the time I got him to the hospital, both arms, his head, and both legs were all making this strange movement. This went on for 6 hours while he was in the ER. They were able to calm it with Adamet (probably misspelled) and Dilantin.

In the ER, they did a CT Scan, EEG, blood work (his primary is gathering all the tests and results-embarassed to say we didn't think to get details on all the tests), urinalysis, and a chest x-ray. Everything was normal, they told us.

Several days later, he was admitted to the hospital for more tests after having had a severe episode in his doctor's office, primarily in his neck. They did another CT Scan, an EEG, a 24 hour EEG, blood work, MRI, and spinal tap. The only things abnormal were "slightly elevated protein" in his spinal fluid that his neurologist doesn't see as a problem. The CT scan showed a sinus infection which is now being taken care of. The EEGs show no sign of seizure.

Since then, he's been on 300 mg dilantin per day, and has had the symptoms diminish. He'd gone a week without any shaking, then had it happen while asleep one night, for 2 hours. Then he went a week without it, and it happened for a few minutes. For the last 4 days, he's had the symptoms, but now they're just minor little twitches in his arms, neck, and jaw, just not all at the same time, and they last for only a short time, perhaps 5-10 minutes.

His primary doctor checked his dilantin level and it was low, so he added 100mg to the daily dose, bringing it to 400mg per day. This was yesterday, and after having these twitches for 4 days, he didn't have one today.

The neurologist has written this off as stress. The last 7 years have been stressful, exceptionally so, but everything has leveled out, and for the last year our life has been smooth and pretty stress-free.

We're both concerned that there is something they're missing. I've been reading these forums, and have researched everthing that's being suggested for others, and I just can't find anything that sounds like what he's going through. So....here I am, in hopes that someone might be able to point us in another direction, and give us something else to look at that might have some answers.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• About 2 months ago my husband called me from work and told me he was "twitching" and I needed to go pick him up. He said it started as something similar to a cold chill, then happened again about 15 seconds later, then again, and finally it wouldn't stop. When I got there, what he described as twitching was not what I saw. His head was nodding and shaking side to side, his right arm was moving like he was shaking something, like a bottle for example. He was in no pain, was fully concious, and still had his normal sense of humor. He even commented, "Give me a glass with milk and ice cream, and I'll make you a shake." By the time I got him to the hospital, both arms, his head, and both legs were all making this strange movement. This went on for 6 hours while he was in the ER. They were able to calm it with Adamet (probably misspelled) and Dilantin. In the ER, they did a CT Scan, EEG, blood work (his primary is gathering all the tests and results-embarassed to say we didn't think to get details on all the tests), urinalysis, and a chest x-ray. Everything was normal, they told us. Several days later, he was admitted to the hospital for more tests after having had a severe episode in his doctor's office, primarily in his neck. They did another CT Scan, an EEG, a 24 hour EEG, blood work, MRI, and spinal tap. The only things abnormal were "slightly elevated protein" in his spinal fluid that his neurologist doesn't see as a problem. The CT scan showed a sinus infection which is now being taken care of. The EEGs show no sign of seizure. Since then, he's been on 300 mg dilantin per day, and has had the symptoms diminish. He'd gone a week without any shaking, then had it happen while asleep one night, for 2 hours. Then he went a week without it, and it happened for a few minutes. For the last 4 days, he's had the symptoms, but now they're just minor little twitches in his arms, neck, and jaw, just not all at the same time, and they last for only a short time, perhaps 5-10 minutes. His primary doctor checked his dilantin level and it was low, so he added 100mg to the daily dose, bringing it to 400mg per day. This was yesterday, and after having these twitches for 4 days, he didn't have one today. The neurologist has written this off as stress. The last 7 years have been stressful, exceptionally so, but everything has leveled out, and for the last year our life has been smooth and pretty stress-free. We're both concerned that there is something they're missing. I've been reading these forums, and have researched everthing that's being suggested for others, and I just can't find anything that sounds like what he's going through. So....here I am, in hopes that someone might be able to point us in another direction, and give us something else to look at that might have some answers. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? I would ask your doctor to do a sleepless EEG, my seizures were only diagnosed after I had this done. I had a 48 hour home EEG done where nothing showed yet when they did an EEG after a sleepless night (which was a little difficult to stay awake) They were able to see the seizures. I think that they are more like tremors than seizures. I also suffer from these tremors they were worse before my seizures were treated. My head did ***k, my hands will shake, and it can be difficult to control your motor functions when this happens. I hope that this is helpful. Good luck
    Sandra Rogers 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • About 2 months ago my husband called me from work and told me he was "twitching" and I needed to go pick him up. He said it started as something similar to a cold chill, then happened again about 15 seconds later, then again, and finally it wouldn't stop. When I got there, what he described as twitching was not what I saw. His head was nodding and shaking side to side, his right arm was moving like he was shaking something, like a bottle for example. He was in no pain, was fully concious, and still had his normal sense of humor. He even commented, "Give me a glass with milk and ice cream, and I'll make you a shake." By the time I got him to the hospital, both arms, his head, and both legs were all making this strange movement. This went on for 6 hours while he was in the ER. They were able to calm it with Adamet (probably misspelled) and Dilantin. In the ER, they did a CT Scan, EEG, blood work (his primary is gathering all the tests and results-embarassed to say we didn't think to get details on all the tests), urinalysis, and a chest x-ray. Everything was normal, they told us. Several days later, he was admitted to the hospital for more tests after having had a severe episode in his doctor's office, primarily in his neck. They did another CT Scan, an EEG, a 24 hour EEG, blood work, MRI, and spinal tap. The only things abnormal were "slightly elevated protein" in his spinal fluid that his neurologist doesn't see as a problem. The CT scan showed a sinus infection which is now being taken care of. The EEGs show no sign of seizure. Since then, he's been on 300 mg dilantin per day, and has had the symptoms diminish. He'd gone a week without any shaking, then had it happen while asleep one night, for 2 hours. Then he went a week without it, and it happened for a few minutes. For the last 4 days, he's had the symptoms, but now they're just minor little twitches in his arms, neck, and jaw, just not all at the same time, and they last for only a short time, perhaps 5-10 minutes. His primary doctor checked his dilantin level and it was low, so he added 100mg to the daily dose, bringing it to 400mg per day. This was yesterday, and after having these twitches for 4 days, he didn't have one today. The neurologist has written this off as stress. The last 7 years have been stressful, exceptionally so, but everything has leveled out, and for the last year our life has been smooth and pretty stress-free. We're both concerned that there is something they're missing. I've been reading these forums, and have researched everthing that's being suggested for others, and I just can't find anything that sounds like what he's going through. So....here I am, in hopes that someone might be able to point us in another direction, and give us something else to look at that might have some answers. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?My father has almost the same symtoms. Have you had any luck in diagnoises??? He's been to Mayo Clinic and several Doctors. No help! He does have back problems and Ra
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had these symptoms. I'm a twenty year old user of oxycodone though, just to let it be known. But these "shakes" have only happened many weeks without use of the drug. So it's hard attributed it to a withdrawl especially when these sound exactly like me. Just incomplusive shaking, like your shivering x100. but not hot, not cold. fully concious. I mean literally, my heart and everythin felt fine. Other than the compulsive shaking. And it was no twitching, it was i'd say 10 shakes every 3-4 seconds. Probably more. I was lucky enough to have my grandmas bottle of valium near me, I know diazapam is second to preferability to lorezepam, but esentially work the same, except lorezepam is faster acting. I was home alone, so out of desperation enough, wondering if i'm having the beg. symptoms of a small seizure i took a 10 mg valium and it took it away within 10-15 minutes. Now take in mind I didn't take the valium until abotu 15 minutes into the shaking. So these episodes last quite somteime. I'm very interested into any explanation your doctor has? Other than just giving you a drug did he really give you any information at all? Typacl American hospitals. I mean did he even throw out a few ideas as to what might cause this? It really scares me sometimes, they happen at such random intervels, sometimes when i'm working, sometimes just sitting watching tv, once in the shower.... any answers would be generously appreciated. Thank you for listening to my speal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 04:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My father has almost the same symtoms. Have you had any luck in diagnoises??? He's been to Mayo Clinic and several Doctors. No help! He does have back problems and RaWe finally got an answer for my husband's seizures. They are caused by Conversion Disorder, and the only treatment (not cure), is a medication for the seizures and psycho-therapy. It's a fairly new diagnosis in the US, but it's not at all a new disorder.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2011
    • 04:18 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement