Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Periods Every Two Weeks

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 39 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 17, 2007
  • 02:49 AM

I have always had regular periods, like clockwork. Nothing in my life has recently changed. No traumas. No illnesses. I am 32. Suddenly, I started having periods about every two weeks.

I went to the gynocologist four weeks ago for help with my symptoms because basically, I am having to deal with blood flow for half of the time now which is tiring and interfering with intimacy.

She gave me a 10 day prescription of progesterone. My bleeding stopped immedately with my first pill. I began my period with the 8th pill but took the last two pills. My period was not interrupted by the last two progesterone pills. Everything seemed normal.

Now, two weeks after the first day of that period, I am having another period(only one week break. very tiring). The pattern of a period every two weeks has returned.

My pap smear results from a test two weeks ago were normal. My doctor said she saw no indications of fibroids or ovarian cysts. She thinks it's hormonal, apparently, but she doesn't communicate well.

My other symptoms are these: facial hair, darkening hair all over my body, thinning hair on my head, weight gain, slight loss of bladder control, stuttering, anxiety, depression.

At the time that my periods became more frequent I was taking a thyroid supplement because I thought I might have an underactive thyroid. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing and have trouble swallowing. I had lots of xrays as a child because of bronchitis and asthma. I quit the thyroid supplement four weeks ago.

I feel upset and anxious and do not know where to go for help. I will not have health insurance, so inattentive doctors and losing time with diagnosis is very stressful for me.

Can someone help me?

Reply Flag this Discussion

39 Replies:

• I have found that Progesterone and/or estrogen are typically the first choice by gyn's with excessive periods. Due to you thryoid issues, I suggest you see a gyn that specializes in Endocrinology. These doctors often specialize in infertility. However, they are a good place to go for hormonal imbalances. I hope you find some answers soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Any tests to check for uteren fibroids?
  • I went through the every two week periods, took the hormones. They would be normal, stop hormones back to every two weeks. Then I went through the Single Mom years – no health insurance and no doctor visits and it continued to get worse. I went back to the doctor (as soon as I had health insurance again) I was having a period a few days out of every week, they once again prescribed the hormones, except they didn’t help any more. Eventually, when I had been on my period for a couple of weeks straight, they decided to do a vaginal ultrasound. I had a tumor in the back wall of my uterus. My period never stopped again until my hysterectomy 4 months later. I had finally got to the point where I told the doc. If you don’t cut this thing out of me – I will. Atleast, ask them to check for a tumor, every one is different and a lot of things can cause this. I do feel for you...
    BETH27584 31 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have always had regular periods, like clockwork. Nothing in my life has recently changed. No traumas. No illnesses. I am 32. Suddenly, I started having periods about every two weeks.I went to the gynocologist four weeks ago for help with my symptoms because basically, I am having to deal with blood flow for half of the time now which is tiring and interfering with intimacy.She gave me a 10 day prescription of progesterone. My bleeding stopped immedately with my first pill. I began my period with the 8th pill but took the last two pills. My period was not interrupted by the last two progesterone pills. Everything seemed normal. Now, two weeks after the first day of that period, I am having another period(only one week break. very tiring). The pattern of a period every two weeks has returned.My pap smear results from a test two weeks ago were normal. My doctor said she saw no indications of fibroids or ovarian cysts. She thinks it's hormonal, apparently, but she doesn't communicate well. My other symptoms are these: facial hair, darkening hair all over my body, thinning hair on my head, weight gain, slight loss of bladder control, stuttering, anxiety, depression.At the time that my periods became more frequent I was taking a thyroid supplement because I thought I might have an underactive thyroid. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing and have trouble swallowing. I had lots of xrays as a child because of bronchitis and asthma. I quit the thyroid supplement four weeks ago.I feel upset and anxious and do not know where to go for help. I will not have health insurance, so inattentive doctors and losing time with diagnosis is very stressful for me. Can someone help me?Hi there,I went trough the same thing. My OBGYN said that it could be my thyroid (Hypo). It was! Before you go get your thyroid tested, make sure you research the type of blood work needed. My OBGYN wanted me to take birth control but I don't handle it very well. I did some research and found: www.womentowomen.com They are wonderful! They help you treat the problem not mask them with synthetic drugs or hormones. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2007
    • 11:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have always had regular periods, like clockwork. Nothing in my life has recently changed. No traumas. No illnesses. I am 32. Suddenly, I started having periods about every two weeks. I went to the gynocologist four weeks ago for help with my symptoms because basically, I am having to deal with blood flow for half of the time now which is tiring and interfering with intimacy. She gave me a 10 day prescription of progesterone. My bleeding stopped immedately with my first pill. I began my period with the 8th pill but took the last two pills. My period was not interrupted by the last two progesterone pills. Everything seemed normal. Now, two weeks after the first day of that period, I am having another period(only one week break. very tiring). The pattern of a period every two weeks has returned. My pap smear results from a test two weeks ago were normal. My doctor said she saw no indications of fibroids or ovarian cysts. She thinks it's hormonal, apparently, but she doesn't communicate well. My other symptoms are these: facial hair, darkening hair all over my body, thinning hair on my head, weight gain, slight loss of bladder control, stuttering, anxiety, depression. At the time that my periods became more frequent I was taking a thyroid supplement because I thought I might have an underactive thyroid. Sometimes it feels like my throat is closing and have trouble swallowing. I had lots of xrays as a child because of bronchitis and asthma. I quit the thyroid supplement four weeks ago. I feel upset and anxious and do not know where to go for help. I will not have health insurance, so inattentive doctors and losing time with diagnosis is very stressful for me. Can someone help me? What birth control are you using? Do you have an IUD? Do you take birth control pills? This is important as many can cause your symptoms, and it can take months to develop these symptoms. Have you had your thyroid checked? If not, then please don't mess with thyroid "supplements". Do you have painful periods? Is there lots of clotting and cramping? Are the periods heavy or light? Do you have breast distension or water retention? Any pain in between periods? Have you had an ultrasound to rule out cysts, fibroids, endo? I understand your concern since you don't have insurance. If you are NOT on any hormonal (or copper) forms of bc then I would get an ultrasound done. I also want to recommend acupuncture and Chinese herbology to you - acupuncture and Chinese Herbal medicine has been used for many thousands of years to help with all kinds of women's disorders. It is very helpful for fibroids, cysts, endo, and dysmenorrhea. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • September 4, 2007
    • 01:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you have a vaginal ultrasound for PCOS? You have ALL the symptoms!
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • September 4, 2007
    • 07:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hello im only 17 and i have had my period sence i was 12 and it always came at the end of the month once a month for 7 days and just for the past 3 months or so i have been getting an iiregular period every 2 weeks (at least i think it is a period?) . :confused:. . . these periods havent been like my regular ones used to be they used to be headaces and cramping for the first 2 days and then it would go away but not these ones im having now i get one now at the end of the month like usual but also get one in the middle of the month and the one in the middle is unbearable pain and extreemly heavy flow like i have never had before but then the one at the end of the month just shows up. . . and half the time i dont even know its there until i go to the washroom and then it ruins my whole day, these ones only last for 2 or 3 days then go away but these ones arnt like blood flowing its just spotting with no symtoms at all and im really starting to get nervous . . . i havent gone to the doctor yet about it but when i went in for a pap 3 weeks ago she said everything was fine .????I asked one of my friends about it and she suggested i might be pregnant could that be true ?:eek:help me please !!!:(
    jennawha17 4 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 06:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What type of ''thyroid supplement'' were you taking?Your hirsutism and irregular periods sound like polycystic ovaries syndrome as has already been mentioned.I agree with the need for an ultrasound.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 06:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your stuttering,anxiety,and depression are to be expected given your situation.The weight gain also is a SX of PCOS.
    • January 27, 2009
    • 06:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im 21 and came off the pill in Oct last year. Before i went on the pill my periods were irregular and now ive come off it it has gone back to the same. There is usually only about a 10 day gap between. As you can imagine this is ruining my life at the minute. Ive been to the doctors and had a blood test but it came back clear. Can anyone help?
    bedford21 1 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 07:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im 21 and came off the pill in Oct last year. Before i went on the pill my periods were irregular and now ive come off it it has gone back to the same. There is usually only about a 10 day gap between. As you can imagine this is ruining my life at the minute. Ive been to the doctors and had a blood test but it came back clear. Can anyone help? Pleast try acupuncture - it is brillliant for regulating periods and hormonal isssues. Try to find one who specializes in women's health. Where do you live?Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• If you try acupuncture by itself and it works,I want to know about it because I don't believe it can fix you.By the way,Acuann is an acupuncturist.
    • January 29, 2009
    • 02:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you try acupuncture by itself and it works,I want to know about it because I don't believe it can fix you.By the way,Acuann is an acupuncturist. Ah, yes, of course. When I recommend someone try acupuncture, it is always in addition to any allopathic testing or treatments. Yes, I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and have treated many women with menstrual disorders as well as fertility problems and menopausal symptoms. It does in fact, work. But certainly don't take my word for it:rolleyes:, try it for yourself and see. You will know it is helping if you start to have a longer cycle and more regular periods. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What the ***l is a ''doctor of Oriental medicine?''Where did you train and for how long?I just bet that I,too,could become a ''doctor of Oriental medicine'' in about the time it takes to go to barber college!
    • January 29, 2009
    • 01:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • And you didn't reply to my query as to what CAM treatments are.
    • January 29, 2009
    • 01:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What the ***l is a ''doctor of Oriental medicine?''Where did you train and for how long?I just bet that I,too,could become a ''doctor of Oriental medicine'' in about the time it takes to go to barber college! Nice burn! I do appreciate a good burn. I have a MS in Oriental Medicine from a four year graduate program in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It was a full time, four year graduate program. I am fortunate to live in a state that has the best practice act for acupuncture in the US, and am referred to as a Dr. in front of my name. I am sure that must piss you off.:rolleyes: I do hope to finish a PhD program once my kids are older. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 04:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • And you didn't reply to my query as to what CAM treatments are. Actually, I did reply to you, on another thread. Don't remember which thread it was, but if you look back at my posts from a couple days ago, you'd see it. Here is the link that I posted for some basic info on CAM. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/ DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 04:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No,actually I'm relieved to find out that you really have a degree.You don't deserve to be called ''doctor''though.Where did you go to school?
    • January 29, 2009
    • 04:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have periods every two weeks as well, and i have had an ultrasound and have PCOS. The symptoms os PCOS usually denote irregular or non present periods, not to many as we are experiencing. I have started to take yasmin, as i find it the most gentle pill and it helps to regulate my period, it can, as you say be unbearable having one every other week. It still doesnt explain how or why we get these. Im thinking of going to see an Endocrinology expert as every gynecologist or doctor i go to see, isnt very helpful.I cant bear the hormonal upheval every two weeks, and we are loosing valuable eggs! We are only born with so many. I dont want children now, but one day i might and so we have to address this now. All i would suggest is finding a contraceptive pill that suits you to regulate your periods for now, and continue to search for what must be an hormonal imbalance. best of luck
  • Did you have a vaginal ultrasound for PCOS? You have ALL the symptoms!PCOS is the opposite, you dont get your periods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have PCOS never got a period for months
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement