Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Vitimin B12 Deficiency caused by Agent Orange?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: funzstuff
  • April 14, 2007
  • 08:07 PM

My 59 yr old husband of 37 years is a Viet Nam Vet, he was a 20 year old Huey crewchief and was exposed to Orange and Super Orange by proximity and has for the past 6 years been trying to settle claims for disability. he is on the registry for Agent Orange however as his MOS was not handling it directly he can not get disability rated.
His symptoms are extensive, to include inability to absorb Vitimin B12, blisters recurring frequently on his feet for all these years, no hair on his legs and shiny leg skin, tingling, or numb or creepy crawling feelings on his skin, cannot stand cold weather, creaking and popping joints, the list just goes on and on.
We have researched the internet and suspect he has periferal neurophy (sic?) Are there any other Viet Nam Vets out there with the same symptoms who were awarded disability? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• My 59 yr old husband of 37 years is a Viet Nam Vet, he was a 20 year old Huey crewchief and was exposed to Orange and Super Orange by proximity and has for the past 6 years been trying to settle claims for disability. he is on the registry for Agent Orange however as his MOS was not handling it directly he can not get disability rated.His symptoms are extensive, to include inability to absorb Vitimin B12, blisters recurring frequently on his feet for all these years, no hair on his legs and shiny leg skin, tingling, or numb or creepy crawling feelings on his skin, cannot stand cold weather, creaking and popping joints, the list just goes on and on. We have researched the internet and suspect he has periferal neurophy (sic?) Are there any other Viet Nam Vets out there with the same symptoms who were awarded disability? Any help would be deeply appreciated.I have the similar background. I have a lot of the same problems. I would be interested in learning more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It has been 4 years since I posted this, in the now.....my husband was finally awarded 100% disability after he was finally diagonosed with perephial neurophy (sic) just this past year in conjunction with several other medical issues from his service in Viet Nam.
  • It has been 4 years since I posted this, in the now.....my husband was finally awarded 100% disability after he was finally diagonosed with perephial neurophy (sic) just this past year in conjunction with several other medical issues from his service in Viet Nam.I'm a 67 yr. old Vietnam vet and have been experiencing numbness in my toes and feet for several years. My son, now 28, was speech delayed, has ADD, LD and has had over 6 surgeries to correct (unsuccessfully) a wandering eye. A neurologist here in Greece where I've been living has determined that my symptoms are a result of a B-12 deficiency and, indeed, recent blood tests have shown my B-12 count is down to the lowest level. When trying to put in a claim to the VA I was told foot/toe numbness is not one of the symptoms the VA counts toward Agent Orange exposure. We have a good friend here who is a retired doctor with a specialty in neuro-toxins and chemical exposure. He's convinced this numbness is related to Agent Orange exposure as it's common that it manifests after 40 or 50 years. According the talks with a VA disability agent several years ago it was explained to me that every soldier that had a tour in VN is considered have been exposed to Agent Orange at some level.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement