Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Deficiency linked to miscarriage

Posted In: Blood conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 18, 2006
  • 01:24 PM

Hi, is it true that a deficiency in B12 can be linked to miscarriage? Would a deficiency lead to infertility?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• hi i dont no weather deficiency is linked to miscarrriages but i have had 3 miscarriages in the past 3 months so my doctor decided to do aload of blood tests - which came back that i am severe anemic, so im on 600mg of iron tablets a day (i have just found out that i am 6 weeks pregnant ) so hopefully fingers crossed everything goes ok!!maybe that was the cause of my miscarriges(iron deficency) we will never no, but time will tell !!
    howarth1329 4 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, is it true that a deficiency in B12 can be linked to miscarriage? Would a deficiency lead to infertility? Yes, B12 deficiency is linked to miscarriages and infertility. I have written the book, "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," Quill Driver Books, 2005, and chapter 9 of our book is titled: Can't Conceive? How B12 Deficiency Contributes to Male and Female Infertility." Anyone who is seeing a fertility doctor should always make sure no B12 deficiency exists in either partner, but this is not routinely done. The standard of care should include this. This is commonly overlooked. A doctor cannot rule out B12 deficiency by looking at your blood count. They believe if you are not anemic--- there is no deficiency. But that is wrong. Then when others are anemic--- they only think of iron deficiency. Another problem is the serum B12 test is not a very reliable test in many cases--- and should always have the MMA test with the serum B12. Sally
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just wanted to add that I had two, successive early (6 and 8 week) miscarriages in 1999 and 2000. I was taking prenatal vitamins, but no doctor (I went to two separate practices) ever mentioned the possibility of Vitamin B12 deficiency.Thankfully, I was able to conceive and carry to term a healthy girl in late 2001.Just last month, during a routine physical to a new (to me) general practitioner, as part of a routine blood test, they ran a B12 level on me.The Doctor said I had the LOWEST LEVEL she has ever seen. She immediately put me on a course of Vitamin B12 vitamins, and I am going to be retested in about a month.I am so angry that this issue was never brought up by my previous ob-gyn doctors during the horrible ordeals I went through. I am trying to get the word out to women out there NOT to give up hope of having a baby.PS - I also found out that my uncle and one of my cousins have Vitamin B12 deficiency.
  • Yes, B12 deficiency is linked to miscarriages and infertility. I have written the book, "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," Quill Driver Books, 2005, and chapter 9 of our book is titled: Can't Conceive? How B12 Deficiency Contributes to Male and Female Infertility." Anyone who is seeing a fertility doctor should always make sure no B12 deficiency exists in either partner, but this is not routinely done. The standard of care should include this. This is commonly overlooked. A doctor cannot rule out B12 deficiency by looking at your blood count. They believe if you are not anemic--- there is no deficiency. But that is wrong. Then when others are anemic--- they only think of iron deficiency. Another problem is the serum B12 test is not a very reliable test in many cases--- and should always have the MMA test with the serum B12. Sally i may be pregnant and i asked my ex if he had this b12 deficency i think that this may be a problem
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement