Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Deficiency linked to miscarriage

Posted In: Blood conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 18, 2006
  • 01:24 PM

Hi, is it true that a deficiency in B12 can be linked to miscarriage? Would a deficiency lead to infertility?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• hi i dont no weather deficiency is linked to miscarrriages but i have had 3 miscarriages in the past 3 months so my doctor decided to do aload of blood tests - which came back that i am severe anemic, so im on 600mg of iron tablets a day (i have just found out that i am 6 weeks pregnant ) so hopefully fingers crossed everything goes ok!!maybe that was the cause of my miscarriges(iron deficency) we will never no, but time will tell !!
    howarth1329 4 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, is it true that a deficiency in B12 can be linked to miscarriage? Would a deficiency lead to infertility? Yes, B12 deficiency is linked to miscarriages and infertility. I have written the book, "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," Quill Driver Books, 2005, and chapter 9 of our book is titled: Can't Conceive? How B12 Deficiency Contributes to Male and Female Infertility." Anyone who is seeing a fertility doctor should always make sure no B12 deficiency exists in either partner, but this is not routinely done. The standard of care should include this. This is commonly overlooked. A doctor cannot rule out B12 deficiency by looking at your blood count. They believe if you are not anemic--- there is no deficiency. But that is wrong. Then when others are anemic--- they only think of iron deficiency. Another problem is the serum B12 test is not a very reliable test in many cases--- and should always have the MMA test with the serum B12. Sally
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just wanted to add that I had two, successive early (6 and 8 week) miscarriages in 1999 and 2000. I was taking prenatal vitamins, but no doctor (I went to two separate practices) ever mentioned the possibility of Vitamin B12 deficiency.Thankfully, I was able to conceive and carry to term a healthy girl in late 2001.Just last month, during a routine physical to a new (to me) general practitioner, as part of a routine blood test, they ran a B12 level on me.The Doctor said I had the LOWEST LEVEL she has ever seen. She immediately put me on a course of Vitamin B12 vitamins, and I am going to be retested in about a month.I am so angry that this issue was never brought up by my previous ob-gyn doctors during the horrible ordeals I went through. I am trying to get the word out to women out there NOT to give up hope of having a baby.PS - I also found out that my uncle and one of my cousins have Vitamin B12 deficiency.
  • Yes, B12 deficiency is linked to miscarriages and infertility. I have written the book, "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses," Quill Driver Books, 2005, and chapter 9 of our book is titled: Can't Conceive? How B12 Deficiency Contributes to Male and Female Infertility." Anyone who is seeing a fertility doctor should always make sure no B12 deficiency exists in either partner, but this is not routinely done. The standard of care should include this. This is commonly overlooked. A doctor cannot rule out B12 deficiency by looking at your blood count. They believe if you are not anemic--- there is no deficiency. But that is wrong. Then when others are anemic--- they only think of iron deficiency. Another problem is the serum B12 test is not a very reliable test in many cases--- and should always have the MMA test with the serum B12. Sally i may be pregnant and i asked my ex if he had this b12 deficency i think that this may be a problem
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement