Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Lipoma Removal

Posted In: Skin conditions 36 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 22, 2006
  • 05:44 PM

I'm considering removal of fairly large Lipoma's on both sides of my neck. I'm looking for advice from someone who has had Lipoma's removed by surgery or liposuction. What are risks factors? Nerve damage...recovery (total/partial)...pain factor...scaring...just total experience of going thru this type of surgery.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

36 Replies:

• I've had a small one the size of a golf ball a few years ago. No problems, tiny scar. BUT get the best doctor you can find.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Jean,I had a lipoma removed from the back of my neck when I was about 18; I'm 32 now.Other than a scar, I've had no trouble at all from it.I was warned that a nerve might be cut during the surgery, which would possibly leave part of my scalp numb.:phew: thankfully that didn't happen!Best of luck to you,Doug
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2006
    • 10:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Jean,I had a lipoma removed from the back of my neck when I was about 18; I'm 32 now.Other than a scar, I've had no trouble at all from it.I was warned that a nerve might be cut during the surgery, which would possibly leave part of my scalp numb.::phew:: thankfully that didn't happen!Best of luck to you,Doug
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2006
    • 10:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had a lipoma removed from my neck a couple of monthes ago, I suffer some nerve damage.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 01:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm considering removal of fairly large Lipoma's on both sides of my neck. I'm looking for advice from someone who has had Lipoma's removed by surgery or liposuction. What are risks factors? Nerve damage...recovery (total/partial)...pain factor...scaring...just total experience of going thru this type of surgery.:confused:I had one of these removed from my arm unfortunately it grew back larger than ever, so surgery(can be performed in doctors office) is no gurantee of permanent removal.John
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 00:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a lipoma removed 2 weeks ago the size of a golf ball from my right side of back. I went to a plastic surgeon. She warned me of possible nerve damage but it was painful and I didn't care at that point. The plastic surgeon did a great job. I need to have more removed from my back that are causing pain. Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 00:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had a lipoma removed on my elbow yesterday. I was having pain in my baby finger and second last finger. My fingers felt better within a half hour after the lipoma was removed. Apparently it was pressing on the ulnar nerve in my arm causing the symptoms. I did need a few stitches but am very glad I had the surgery. If you decide to have your lipoma removed I wish you the same success. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2007
    • 05:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Jean,I just had mine removed a week and a half ago from my shoulder blade. It is still covered up with the surgi-strips, so I don't know what the scar looks like, and it's still a bit tender (the sucker was reluctant to come out, so it took a bit of tugging to get it all out!). I am really glad I got it done, I am looking forward to being able to sit back in a chair comfortably and not having the big blob sticking out anymore!! No nerve damage either. Best of luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2007
    • 05:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had two lipomas surgically removed four days ago. The one was so large they joked in the doctor's office, about not having a container large enough to place this huge blog of fat into. I felt a lot of pressure when it was being removed, but otherwise no pain. That is until the local wore off......yikes! I do feel beter today, not as much pain. Glad I had the surgery performed in the office, not the hospital. Oh, so your all wondering about the size.........um, maybe a baseball? The size of the palm of my hand and about a half inch thick. The other one, smaller......... I like lying on my stomach and not feeling this "rock" digging into my hip bone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2007
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had two lipomas removed 11 days ago in the hospital and just went in for my follow-up. The one that bothered me the most was on my lower rear-end. It was about the size of a golf ball and very painful to sit on hard surfaces. I developed a post-op hemotoma (hardening of blood that pooled in the area). The doctor removed the stitches and made a small opening for the blood to come out. I'm using a heating pad to liquify the blood. It's extremely sore to sit on...I haven't been able to sit comfortably since the surgery. The lipoma on my arm was removed without issue and disolvable stitches were used. I hope neither return!
  • Hi Jean,I just had mine removed a week and a half ago from my shoulder blade. It is still covered up with the surgi-strips, so I don't know what the scar looks like, and it's still a bit tender (the sucker was reluctant to come out, so it took a bit of tugging to get it all out!). I am really glad I got it done, I am looking forward to being able to sit back in a chair comfortably and not having the big blob sticking out anymore!! No nerve damage either. Best of luck!What was your recovery like? Did you have any kind of drain installed? Did you have full use of your arm during recovery? I have a painful one next to my shoulder blade that I need to have removed, but I have a new baby to take care of and cannot be out of commission. One surgeon told me two weeks recovery with limited use of arm; a second surgeon said I would be fine the next day.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I just had a huge tumor, larger than a baseball and smaller than a softball, AND another alongside it the size of a handball, removed from the top of my left shoulder blade that I’ve seen progressively grow for about 2 years. I didn’t even know I had it until a masseuse brought it to my attention due to where it was located where I could not see or ever reach it. I also have a handball and golf ball sized lipoma over the 2 bottom ribs of my rib cage on both sides that I’ll address later. Mesotherapy was off the record mentioned as an alternative, but with my insurance authorizing the lipoma removal procedure I opted to get the tumor on my back removed all at once. I may do the mesotherapy after I see how this recent removal goes for the rib covering lipoma’s, or not do anything as I thought they were a natural growth to protect my lower ribs when I would be paddling my surfboard over a number of years. The fat is a nice protective cushion. It is still tender in the area, with such an enormous growth that had to be pulled out, with a 6 cm cut with stitches there now, and we’ll see in a few weeks what the result will be. I hope to God I don’t get hematoma and have to be cut open again, or have the growth come back ever again as well. I was advised to apply pressure directly after the procedure and as often as possible, which I ‘m doing now, even as I draft this reply. We took some great pictures and videos, and I’ll post them on YouTube most likely in the next couple of days. The procedure seemed gross, but a reality of life. I’ll be glad to lie in bed or sit back in a chair soon and not have to feel a lump on my back.
    balesna 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I'm going to see the derm in a few weeks for a few lipomas that i have on my lower back. they are fairly small...about pea sized but incredibly painful at times!! is there anything i can do to relieve the pain until i see the derm? has anybody had a lipoma removed this small and on your lower back? thanks!
  • hey what will happen if i pop the lipomas/cyst thats on my collar bone???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2008
    • 05:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I got one on my back removed just today! I still haven't seen it yet though because the surgeon said to keep the bandaid on for 24 hours. The surgery was so weird, getting the local anesthetics was painful and it was weird to feel the pulling and pushing on my back. I also hated hearing the sound of his scissors clipping skin and i swear i felt clicking for some reason. It lasted about 25 minutes. Can't say whether I'm glad I had it done or not yet...I have to see how the scar looks and how my back feels. I'm looking forward to no back pain (my lipoma was causing me pain) but right now it hurts the worst because the lidocaine has worn off and my back is very sore.
    heidip 1 Replies
    • September 18, 2008
    • 03:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a big lipoma removed under GA last week i have about a 3 inch scar but all the pain i had before seems to have disappeared. I'm still on painkillers but the pain i have seems to be just from the op itself. I'm so pleased i had it removed as the doc says it was alot deeper than they originally thought and i had been having alot of pain for about a year, it would have only got worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 09:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HELP!, I have had a large lipoma removed from my right shoulder blade 2 weeks ago. I came home and with a family to care for went straight back into doing the jobs, mainly with the left hand/arm (quite uncomfortable but not painful) a week later i felt a bit under the weather and my back felt uncomfortable and puffy. the doc said it was not infected, but that fluid was filling the space where the lump was. i now have a scar and a lump too. Has anyone else had this problem, and does the fluid disperse on its own, or should i be doing something to help it along?(massage, exercise, hot baths etc) i really dont want to have gone all through the agony and still be left with a lump.:confused: ps dont know why i've come up as a junior member as i'm 64!thank you for your help - Margy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2008
    • 10:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a lipoma removed 2 weeks ago the size of a golf ball from my right side of back. I went to a plastic surgeon. She warned me of possible nerve damage but it was painful and I didn't care at that point. The plastic surgeon did a great job. I need to have more removed from my back that are causing pain. Good luckI have just had a lipoma removed 4 days ago in hospital and it was in a very delicate place (and the size of a golf ball) however, everything has gone well. Just thought that l would add; 'did you know that lipoma's are not ment to be painful"- however, if you look up Dercum's Disease (DD) you will find it very interesting reading. Dercum's Disease is fatty lipoma's that can grown very large and end up pressing on nerve endings and this is what causes the pain. I have DD which has been passed on to me (heredity) it has been around since the 1800"s but people are only now becoming aware of this painful disease. I wish everyone well.. :)
  • My primary doc measured a 5" x 5.5" lump (size of two lemons) on the left side of my spine, starting ~3" below my shoulder blade. Overthe last several years, I have complained of an occasional sharp (sword-like piercing pain) in my left rib area. But, the doc saw nothing & sent me for a PETScan. That doc saw scarring in the lungs but nocause for concern (I have never smoked). Since this only a few times a year & they saw nothing... life went on. Now I'm told, by a surgeon who "saw NOTHING on th CT w/contrast" this is "a rather large lipoma." I have had no other tests. I am experiencing discomfort in outside left rib cage area, and it feels (to the touch) like my rib is out of place. I have pain & lump in the back, ache inside top of left arm, a lot of stiffness & pain in left shoulder (near collar bone) and up left center-side of neck to base of my skull, along with bad headaches & discomfort in the spine. Does any of this sound familiar to those of you who may have had large lipoma(s)? I see my primary doc tomorrow & I'm going to ask for x-ray, and to have a neurosurgeon look at my CT-scan & head CT. Taken last week after visit to ER because of confusion & numbness in the right forearm & hand. Surgeon is ready to do the surgery,but given the 'mix' I plan on applying a bitmore due-diligence. All comments welcome. What was down-time for those with large lipomas? Complications??I just had two lipomas surgically removed four days ago. The one was so large they joked in the doctor's office, about not having a container large enough to place this huge blog of fat into. I felt a lot of pressure when it was being removed, but otherwise no pain. That is until the local wore off......yikes! I do feel beter today, not as much pain. Glad I had the surgery performed in the office, not the hospital. Oh, so your all wondering about the size.........um, maybe a baseball? The size of the palm of my hand and about a half inch thick. The other one, smaller......... I like lying on my stomach and not feeling this "rock" digging into my hip bone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 06:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • To the previous post re: 2 large lipomas on back the size of lemons. I have a large lipoma on my back the size of a baseball. It is on the left side of my spine about the middle of my back. I have had constant pain in my back and shoulders and stabbing pain occasionally in my ribs for the past 5 years. I saw a General Surgeon who just glanced at it for 10 seconds and said make an appointment and we will have that taken out. That was 6 months ago, and I haven't made the appointment yet, because he was so nonchalant about it, I don't want someone cutting me open that is not taking this seriously. Maybe I'm just being difficult, but I was told by several people that I should go to a plastic surgeon, however my insurance will not pay for a PS. Truthfully I am afraid of the process of having it removed, but I am in so much pain, I think I'm beginning to come around.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2010
    • 01:47 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement