Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Heart beating really hard.

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 11, 2007
  • 07:05 PM

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my heart pounding. Not fast like I have been running, but beating really hard.
Blood pressure and heart rate is normal, but when laying in bed, my chest moves with each beat. I can feel it in my neck and head also.
I can hold my hand out, and it moves with the beating of my heart.
It's like I have been running, but without the rapid heart rate, just the heart beating so hard I can feel it all through my body. This has been going on for a few months now.
I have cut out all caffene, energy drinks and am drinking a lot more water and hydration drinks because I read that dehydration can cause this, but still no change.
Ideas anyone?

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• Have you gone to the doctor? Any tests done?
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • No not yet. I have talked to the health people at work, and they mentioned the caffene. I have stopped using it, for maybe a month now with no change, so I guess it is time to see a DR. I am maybe 30 lbs overweight, and thought it might be pressure of the extra weight pressing on the heart.I have no idea about the cause, and have never heard of this symptom.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • please tell me what you find out about thisi really would like to know what the problem wasplease email me at sammispatz@mac.comthank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • please tell me what you find out about thisi really would like to know what the problem wasplease email me at sammispatz@mac.com thank youTried to email, but address would not work, Had an EKG, X-ray and wore a heart monitor, and all normal. Something is not normal or these problems would not exist.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 08:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • did you ever find anything out about this, I've had the same problem now for about 18 months, the doctor seems to think it might be stress, but I don't.Let me know, I'm at macdonald.jonathan@gmail.com, would love to hear what you've found or if you still have the problem.
  • Yes, mine has been doing the same thing. Sometimes it hurts a little. Then I pass some gas later. So I thought it was gas in my chest area. I want to get a checkup too.
  • I have had that same problem for a few years now. My doc checked me out with all the latest tests and could'nt find a reason so I was never able to pin point anything really except I only noticed it when I was'nt moving around doing things, like laying in bed watching telly, or sitting at my desk I would notice it.. so I thought maybe it's a head thing lol. Either way I don't have a problem with blood pressure but when the pounding heart would happen it would raise my blood pressure so my doctor put me on a beta blocker called minax and ONLY when I feel the pounding heart I take half a tablet and it has worked for me, stops it pounding, maybe its all in my head hahaha. I have read though that lung problems can cause your heart to pound hard and or other symptoms. I found out about a year after it started happening to me that I had a Lung Abscess which popped a hole in my lung and caused me to have a pneumothorax (an abnormal presence of air in the pleural cavity resulting in the collapse of the lung). Sometimes but rarely I still get the pounding heart to this day so I don't really know if it was from my lung problem or what.
  • I have had the same kind of symptoms. I'm male, 32, and smoke but I have been trying to quit for a year now. I only smoke about 1 or 2 a day, if that. My resting heartrate is around 80 bpm. I have had an EKG done, x-ray of chest, and the doctors said it was probably due to stress. Since I live in the US and my insurance will not cover a stress test, or MRI, I have not gone back to the doctor. I guess I could start working out, and trying to do yoga, or something for my stress, but my heart every once in awhile will beat real hard. Not fast, but just to where I can fell the beating in my chest and neck. My email address is danh@cagi.com if you want to email me about this subject. I have to admit, I'm a little scared about it. The doctors seem to be baffeled as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2009
    • 10:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms and have been dealing with various degrees of these hard heart beats and sometimes coupled with shortness of breathe. I've had ekgs, blood work, chest X-rays, and an echocardiograph. After finding these tests were all normal, my doctor said it's likely stress induced and to find ways to keep my stress levels down and keep active as my heart and lungs are fine. I'll be the fest to admit that it's hard to get motivated to exercise when you think your heart is gonna jump out your chest, but my doctor assured me that whatever I'm experiencing can't hurt me since all major problems were ruled out. - it's been a few months since the worst of the symptoms but now I deal with similar symptoms that are to a lesser degree. I'm not overweight but do have some stress in my worklife so I wasn't completely surprised to hear him diagnose me with anxiety/panic attacks but I didn't realize it would last as long as it has. My advice is to get checked out to the fullest. If it is panic attacks or anxiety, it's crucial to not build up what you're feeling in your head to be life threatening - otherwise you add the stress of mortality to the mix and the vicious cycle continues. If you are diagnosed with anxiety, eat smaller meals, walk outside not inside and get away from computers for considerable amounts of time each day. That's what helped me lessen he symptoms for now... If you're reading this, I hope you feel better soon.
  • hey im 16 years old and have expirienced what u guys are all talking about, it doesnt matter what i'm doing my heart beats insanley hard but not fast. Its to the point where I can see my chest jump up following every beat and sometimes see my jugular vein pulse. Call me wierd but i kind of like it. is this anything to concerned about?
  • i have this problem, and it has gotten to the point where it feels like my chest is being ripped off. i wake up and i feel this way, im pretty sure that relaxation is supposed to be that feeling when you wake up and when you go to sleep. i know that, that is supposed to be the feeling because once upon a time i used to feel that way. well i dont have the brightest doctor, i have one of those stereotypical doctors that think every 15 year old girl only wants "attention". mhmm, stupid. and she wont believe me anyways because she thinks im going through all these problems because i dont believe in god. well sorry i like to babble on, but if you figure out anything that can help me, just you know. reply. or however these things work. thank you.- Brittany
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• It's a weird symptom that seem to come to completely different people and from what other people have said, doctors don't find a serious reason for it. Stress is an easy and sensible guess except in my case!I've had these kinds of really strong heartbeats for about a month now. It's not even every beat, it's occasional, but it'll usually be at least 2 or 3 at a time. It did start at a stressful point in my life, but that was over quickly and generally speaking I'm pretty relaxed and happy. I feel like I'd have to go meditate if I wanted to get any more relaxed than I already am! At first I thought it might be a change in birth control pills, because they can rarely cause blood clots and I was worried about that, but I changed back to my usual ones and still have this beat so I will go to the doctor when I have the time. As for exercise or being out of shape...well, I'm 28, non-smoking, extremely fit - work out out 5 times a week and lead a fairly active lifestyle outside of that. So I don't think exercise can hurt this condition! In fact, it's my strong heart that keeps me from freaking out about having these weird heartbeats, because I know it can handle it. I still plan to go to the doctor and I'll post again when I do just for info.
  • hi I am 10 and can not see a docter my heart is beating so hard and fast it hurts to breathe help please
  • i have some of these exact symptoms.....feel it mainly when im relaxing, laying in bed, sometimes in head, it has worried me over the past few months, i keep thinking im going to have a heart attack. this has eased my worries though. im starting to think its from stress. anyway, i feel alittle relieved that i found this...all i can say is if you still have this problem, im right there with ya buddy
  • Hey, im 15 years old, and i've recently had a pulpitation from drinking a monster drink. After that i've been more aware of my heart beating "very hard." But it only seems that way when i think about it or when im laying in my bed. I just want to know if this is a problem or if its just me thinking about it that makes it act that way. Could it be smoking? or is it serious? If someone could help me that'd be great. Im starting to really worry about it:/
  • It's a weird symptom that seem to come to completely different people and from what other people have said, doctors don't find a serious reason for it. Stress is an easy and sensible guess except in my case!I've had these kinds of really strong heartbeats for about a month now. It's not even every beat, it's occasional, but it'll usually be at least 2 or 3 at a time. It did start at a stressful point in my life, but that was over quickly and generally speaking I'm pretty relaxed and happy. I feel like I'd have to go meditate if I wanted to get any more relaxed than I already am! At first I thought it might be a change in birth control pills, because they can rarely cause blood clots and I was worried about that, but I changed back to my usual ones and still have this beat so I will go to the doctor when I have the time. As for exercise or being out of shape...well, I'm 28, non-smoking, extremely fit - work out out 5 times a week and lead a fairly active lifestyle outside of that. So I don't think exercise can hurt this condition! In fact, it's my strong heart that keeps me from freaking out about having these weird heartbeats, because I know it can handle it. I still plan to go to the doctor and I'll post again when I do just for info.I'm not a doctor, but first thing that came to my mind is dehydration in your situation. Just wanted to point it out.
  • I have been having this problem off and on for a couple of years. It keeps me up at night. Not only does my whole body jolt with every heartbeat, but it IS REALLY LOUD when I am trying to sleep. Even over all the background noise of the city. I am young, female, and an athlete. I don't smoke, or eat meat, and my resting hr is in the 40s. I can't figure out what is causing this, but it seems to be a cycle. I don't sleep well because of my heart rate, the next day it gets worse, and the next night worse yet. Like all of the other complaints, it is not that my hr is too high, just too hard. It's driving me crazy.
  • Try eating some fats in the morning
  • I think the only way to find out is to see a doctor. I had symptoms of fainting, dizziness, lightheadedness and palpitations since before I could remember, even as young as 5 years old, I'm now 36. The fainting actually caused quite a few injuries...Last year I applied for a new job and had a stress test. I failed the stress test and was referred to a cardiologist and was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson White syndrome, which I had for 35 years undiagnosed. Anyway, driving home from the cardiologist I fainted in the car, ending up in hospital again. I had cardioversion the following day to regulate my heart rate, and days later I had an ablation done. Now I dont have the symptoms so bad. I'm having them tonight though, so I'll go to the doctor tomorrow just to get checked. My advice is, just to be safe, go to the doctor. Tell them your symptoms and ask for an ECG, and for the ECG to be sent to a cardiologist. The reason I say this is because more than one doctor who read my ECG did not see what the cardiologist could see, unless I was having palpitations at that time. The cardiologist could spot it even when I wasn't. I believe this saved my life. I travel a lot in my job and I'd been having dizzy spells where I'd see black in front of my eyes so Id have to pull over, and I had nausea from it as well as a sweaty face. The doctor in emergency asked how come I never went to emergency when I was having palpitations all those years, and I replied, EVERYONE says they have palpitations, I thought it was normal. But if you're concerned, get it checked out. I don't believe going on this website for a diagnosis is very helpful. I don't want everyone who's had the same symptoms as me to panic and think they have the same what I had; on their own these symptoms don't mean anything, and it is true that palpitations are common. Only a cardiologist can diagnose so take care care of yourself, don't stress and get to the doctor just to put your mind at ease :) Life is too short to stress out xo
  • I have the same symptoms, however I also have had 2 instances where while relaxing my heart rate instantly went up. Im thinking over 200 bpm. The first time it lasted for about 20 seconds, the second time only about 5 seconds. It kind of felt like when you kink a hose and then unkink it, there is a huge rush of blood along with rapid heartbeat but it only lasted seconds. I've been to the cardiologist. Had a stress test, EKG, wore a monitor, and had blood tests....Nothing! Can't figure this one out. It scares me though. I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, and I exercise though not regularly. Any solutions I would love to hear them!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement