Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

Problems with Activia yogurt?

Posted In: Digestive conditions 103 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 11, 2007
  • 03:45 AM

I started eating Activia yogurt once a day for the last month and a half, and initially was very happy with the results. But in the last week I've had a bout of intestinal cramping with very sharp intermittent pains, and fever. Pains are in stomach and lower ab area, with more pain on the right side. I'm wondering if (after reading some of the threads here tonight) that I should be checked for a problem with my appendix. Or is there a possibility that all the Activia yogurt (with the "good bacteria") could have caused a bacterial infection? Any thoughts?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I use Activia and get great results from it. I've never heard of any bacterial infections developing from use of it or any product containing "good" bacteria. As far as I know, there is no way good bacteria can "go over to the dark side" so to speak.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I started eating Activia yogurt once a day for the last month and a half, and initially was very happy with the results. But in the last week I've had a bout of intestinal cramping with very sharp intermittent pains, and fever. Pains are in stomach and lower ab area, with more pain on the right side. I'm wondering if (after reading some of the threads here tonight) that I should be checked for a problem with my appendix. Or is there a possibility that all the Activia yogurt (with the "good bacteria") could have caused a bacterial infection? Any thoughts?I took Activia 3 days ago, and on the 2nd day my stool was green. I'm wondering if Activia could be the problem. Please let me know if you have heard of anything like this.
  • I don't know about the green stools, but I've experienced periodic bouts of intense gas hours after eating it, plus stomach aches and liquid stool. Others swear by this stuff and that's great but it's not for everyone. I posted in hopes that someone else having the same hassles would realize it's the Activia and go back to regular yogurt.
  • I bought a four pack earlier this week, and after the first day, my stomach hurt, but heck I thought it was the Tylenol I took for a headache. Day 2 - bad stomach pains and bloated feeling and a few more trips to the bathroom for a #2. Day 3 - gave it the benefit of the doubt and regret it. I've had stomach pain for like 2 days and too many visits to the bathroom for #2 visits. The pain I had was similar to the pain I got when I was on Bactrim (antibotic) a few months ago for an ear infection. Other than the Activia, there were no changes to my diet. Each day I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal for breakfast with milk, I drink water or selzter water during the morning, lunch consists of a yogurt, granola, apple, and some other fruit. I replace my normal yogurt with the Activia this week to try something new. And literally, within a half hour of eating it, all went down hill. I guess this stuff is supposed to be for women (which I am) but be warned, if eating a 4 ounce will do this do me, just think what it can do you too (or if you ate two to equal a normal yogurt serving). This stuff also only has 1 gram of fiber and I consume between 25 and 30 gram of fiber a day. Trust me, when I decided to eat two servings of fiber 1 before (this would be about 32 grams of fiber in one sitting) I didn't get as bloating, gassy, miserable, for have the horrible bowel movement that went along with eating this stuff.Consume in small doses until you know what it does to you. If you get weird body signals, stop, don't suffer what the rest of have. It's not pretty, especially if you're at work and are bathroom shy in regards to going a #2.
    Woodgee 1 Replies
    • August 16, 2008
    • 08:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had trouble with Activia too, but the result was simply bloating - the opposite of what it promised to do. Regular natural yoghurt is fine with me, it's cheaper too!
    Anne20 5 Replies
    • September 29, 2008
    • 10:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Like others on this blog my experience with Activia was miserable. :( A family member, who is a nurse, suggested I try it. I ate it two days in a row. I got horrible stomach cramps, bloating and had go to the bathroom within the hour. I could have sworn I had food poisoning. The second day was much worse than the first day. Why, oh why, I ask myself did I eat it that second day? I was in intense pain. I don't plan to be too graphic but let's just say I vomited AND I had liquid stool--I spent about an hour in the bathroom. I'm still feeling sick and crampy 48 hours later. I'm convinced this stuff has a hidden laxative in it that the company isn't telling us about. I've been on mega powerful doses of probiotics before for weeks on end and never had anything like this happen.
    punkster8 1 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG!!! YMMV's post made me laugh sooooo hard. Mostly because I can relate. I really hated to laugh that hard due to my terrible stomach pain, but darn!!! She hit the nail on the head.This stuff is awful! I decided to try vanilla Activia (foolishly) instead of normal yogurt for my fruit smoothies. I did this (foolishly) because of the bobardment of advertising I've been seeing of late. Never one to turn down "a challenge," I thought to myself, "What could it hurt?" I thought it would be better than "normal" yogurt. Why else Dannon spend so much on advertising?Well, let me tell you. After morning one I could not stand to be in the same room with myself. I do not live in a huge house, but even in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, I was running out of places to evacuate to. And I literally mean running, otherwise the horrible smell would follow me. "Okay," I say to myself, "This must be the beneficial bacteria kicking in. I must really have some bad stuff in my intestines and the bacteria are purging them from my system." On day two I repeated my morning smoothie ritual (Yogurt, frozen fruit, freeshly squeezzed OJ). Again, it was good I was home alone. I think my family would have disowned me especially after my poor DH had to sleep in the same bed with me the night before. Again, I convinced myself that this was a good thing. Then came the stomch ache/nausea/lack of appetite. I hadn't eaten anything out of the ordinary, but yet I STILL did not make the connection between Activia and my newly aquired stomach issues.Day three: Repeat day twoDay four: Wow! I don't smell! That's nice, but 4 hours after eating Activia my stomach hurts again. It's a gnawing pain and I'm feeling like I want to throw up, and now I have a headache! So I begin to wonder....."Is this yogurt making me sick?" Well, I feel like crap, can't really do much of anything else, so I will check the internet and see if this is a known issue or if I am just being paranoid about a seeming "coincidence."Expecting to find absolutely nothing, I was shocked to learn that there are tons of reports of the exact same nature. Thankfully, oh so thankfully, I have not yet experienced the raging yeast infection that others have described. I am hoping that I have stopped eating this poison in time, but I guess I won't know for a few more days. My advice......stick to normal yogurt.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2009
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've eaten Activa every day for almost 3 weeks. Nothing happened the first week but the 2nd week I started getting pretty awful gas pains and was passing gas. Then I started having the bowel movements. I have NEVER been regular and most of my life have been lucky if I go to the bathroom once or twice a week. For years I had IBS and it was either diarhea or constipation. Then I had surgery last year and they had to remove a piece of tumor from a small portion of my bowel. That part of my bowel would not work for over a month and I was in and out of the hospital with nausea and vomiting until that portion of bowel kicked back in. Since then...no more IBS but a lot of "not going at all", which was why I started trying the Activia.To make a long story short I thought that after the intense bouts of gas and finally having bowel movements that the Activa was INDEED regulating me! That lasted about 2 or 3 days but during this 3rd week of eating Activia...I've had no gas, no cramps and NO BM's. NOTHING...so it appears that the Activia Challenge has failed for me and I'm going to get my money back.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2009
    • 04:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been searching the web for info on this horrible abdominal pain I've had for 2 DAYS now and after reading all these blogs, I too, am CONVINCED it's the darn ACTIVIA crap!!!! I have left lower abdominal pain-(dull and achy and tender to the touch), bloating, a feeling of "fullness", other weird lower abdominal cramping, and experiencing some constipation now. I did go number 2 three times already today, but its feels like there's more crap that's still wanting to come out, but is somehow stuck in there!! oh yeah, and now my stomach's making abnormal digestive noises after all this ***l. I never tried Activia before and decided to give it a go yesterday, and now after only 2 days, I feel like I'm in ACTIVIA YOGURT ***l!! My brother loves it and swears by it, but he's 38 and I'm 28 and never had a problem pooping before, so maybe my system is telling me: "Shame on you! You had no bowel problem before EVER, so WHY are you doing this to me NOW SUDDENLY?" My advice is the same: Stick to what you know- plain old good yogurt that you can TRUST!! My favorite is Yoplait Strawberry Probiotic yogurt- it tastes wayyyyyy better that ****ty Activia, PLUS it does not wreak utter havoc on my system!! ...... Hopefully these tortuous symptoms will end soon.... any other advice on how to quicken the pace to get this Activia crap out of ourselves faster??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2009
    • 06:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had digestive issues my whole life, mainly due to the fact that I am lactose intolerant. A friend, who has the same problem, really encouraged me to try Activia as a way to regulate my digestive system. I tried it for the first time yesterday and within a few hours I had cramps like you wouldn't believe! I naturally attributed this to the fact that I had a small amount of cheese the night before (which usually wouldn't bother me if it was a very small portion). The big surprise came this morning, as I woke up with a strong urge to use the bathroom. An hour later, the same thing. I foolishly tried Activia again for lunch and as you may have guessed, spent the next few hours making trips to the bathroom. I then started research on the internet and am relieved to find that many people have experienced the same uncomfortable sensations! No more Activia for me (unless I want to fit into my skinny jeans for a night out : ) )
  • I am glad I have found this blog because I have to complain about all the cramps that Activia has caused me. It started on Friday afternoon. My discomfort that day was a little different: cramps, gas and more gas but really tiny results in the stool. On Saturday morning I was still under the effects, more about the same gas but not results. So, I had regular yogurt the next two days. On Sunday, finally I thought I was regular again. But on Monday, I ate the Strawberry Activia at lunch and it made me crampy only the afternoon. At supper, that was gone. So, no biggie. On Tuesday mid afternoon, I ate the regular Cherry Activia and since then, I have more cramps. Even now when I'm writing. The difference now is that I am burping and having cramps that seem to move from my tummy to my back, even kind of heartburn, and of course lower abdominal pain. Nor ******g niehter results in the stool. I just decided to check if there was something related to this topic to help aid my problem. At least, I found that you guys had the same problem. Tomorrow I am going to the doctor if this doens't go away. Not eating Activia anymore!!! Regular yogurt is harmless and still cheap and moreover works!!!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have IBS so anything that will help regulate the bowels seems like worth trying to me. I wish I never touched the stuff.I ate the yogurt for two days...then I sat on the toilet as my butt exploded in a burning trail of what looked and felt like cheese curds. I begged God to kill me so that it would end. Fortunately, God doesn't answer all our prayers and I'm still here to write this post. The suffering did come to end. Still...I will never ever touch the stuff again. For a long time, I thought I was just lactose intolerant on top of the IBS. I only eat soy yogurt now, but after reading all this maybe it was just the Activia.
  • I read many articles regarding probiotics. Most of the of them accepted that it helps digestive disorders and to improve immune system.
    mikeatt 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've tried probiotics and Activia and am not able to tolerate any of it. Makes me sick every time.
    Beth56 272 Replies Flag this Response
  • I tried activia on friday night...was gassy...one result...by saturday evening i felt sick (nautious), dizzy, stomach cramping, thought it was just the day i had had.ate some more of it on saturday night.sunday, ate some more for mid afternoon....by that night my stomach was "jumping" gassy, burping....needing to pass gas, but I was in church.this morning I feel sick...wondered if it was activia, found this website. Thank you God I am not the only one! My stomach is nauseated and I feel sick, headache. I only had 3 bowel movements on this stuff, (which is less than I expected). I will stay away from the stuff from now on...stick to my good ole' benefiber.
  • I'm so relieved to find this information. I had been eating Activia low-fat strawberry yogurt for months (probably close to a year) and it appeared to do just as promised - regulate the system. About two weeks ago I started having major issues such as abdominal pain, rumbling noises in my stomach, nausea and finally, explosive diarrhea. In fact, there were bouts of the diarrhea that were so severe and came on so suddenly that I just made a huge mess. I ended up having to scrub my toilet and strip my bed at 3 o'clock in the morning. I also had a 9 pound weight loss in less than a month I presume due to the diarrhea and being unable to eat much of anything. Let me clarify - throughout the time I ate the Activia, I also suffered from extreme gas, embarrassing gas to the point where I was reluctant to go out in public! However, because my digestive system now appeared to be regulated, I didn't want to stop w/the Activia. Finally, when this last bout of nausea, diarrhea and weight loss hit, I decided Activia had to go. It's now been more than 2 weeks since I've eaten it and it appears that the symptoms have pretty much subsided (fingers crossed - the last two days have been symptom free). I think it's ridiculous that the consumer is not made aware of the possibility of side effects from eating this product. It's obvious to me after doing some research online that a great number of us are experiencing the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone has contacted Dannon and registered a complaint or if that's even worthwhile? Thanks for listening. I've been so worried that something major was going on with me and am happy to know I'm not alone.
  • I've experienced some of the symptoms that others have reported here. I've had the nausea, painful gas (though I was eating the stuff to help fight my normal gas), & frequent surprise visits to the bathroom.I was wondering if anyone else has experienced severe heartburn. I've had mild acid reflux for a while, but it has increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks. The only thing that has changed in my diet is the addition of Activia & a decrease in the amount of acidic foods (like V8) that I've been eating.
    randallphobia 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have IBS so anything that will help regulate the bowels seems like worth trying to me. I wish I never touched the stuff.I ate the yogurt for two days...then I sat on the toilet as my butt exploded in a burning trail of what looked and felt like cheese curds. I begged God to kill me so that it would end. Fortunately, God doesn't answer all our prayers and I'm still here to write this post. The suffering did come to end. Still...I will never ever touch the stuff again. For a long time, I thought I was just lactose intolerant on top of the IBS. I only eat soy yogurt now, but after reading all this maybe it was just the Activia.I too had problems with Activia(peach with cereal). I've had problems with my stools. The cereal seems to be quite rough when coming out. My bottom is quite sore and there was some blood involved. I started using activia because a friend tried it, but there seems to be some problems with it. After reading all these posts, I'm convinced that the people at Dannon should go back to the drawing board and check some things out with activia. Speaker1
  • I took Activia 3 days ago, and on the 2nd day my stool was green. I'm wondering if Activia could be the problem. Please let me know if you have heard of anything like this.I too experienced green stools after eating Activia for four days.
  • Thank God for these posts!! I too bought Activa Yogurt thinking it was "Good for Me". OMG - the pain in my stomach! If you're a female . . imagine the worst possible menstrual cramps or labor pains. Wednesday I ate it at lunch, made it home from work to end up in the bathroom going and puking into the trash can. Hmmm, thought it must have been the salad I had the night before. Ate it again today, went shopping and drove about 90 mph . . calling my daughter on the way to "GET THE DOOR OPEN" . . running into the house just as my mouth filled with saliva, sweat pooring off me, and cramps like you wouldn't believe took hold. Once again . . the potty on one end . . a bucket for the other. I will NEVER again touch this stuff. They should put a warning label on it "Only to be eaten if you like pain and vomiting and are not planning to leave your home for the next 24 hours!"
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement