Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

2nd time-itchy red rash on knees/elbows-- HELP!

Posted In: Skin conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: julene8
  • April 10, 2007
  • 06:27 PM

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on- and sincerely hope to have some help/insight from this site.

. One week ago in the morning my elbows started itching profusely, and when I checked, they were BRIGHT red, as were my knees. My face also became flushed. I felt fine, but my elbows itched like crazy, and my knees itched a bit as well. They were flat, bright red patches, that subsided in about 1 1/2 hours.

This morning it happened again around the same time- does anyone have ANY idea what this could be from? My diet has not changed, and I have no allergies I am aware of (in my 31 years).

I appreciate any help with this!

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• The same thing is happening to my 9 year old daughter. Along with bright red itchy patches on both her knees and elbows (on the "rough" outside), her ears get flaming red and itch like crazy. I have not been able to track down what is causing this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • An this is happening to my 4year old dauther. Today I took her to my family doctor and she was puzzled. She say to use a cortison crean to see if it would resolved but quite honestly with my own eczema experience I feel this things are better treated from the inside out. If I only knew what is causidng these! Elbows and knees are rashed with bright red elevated spot with no fluid in it, sometimes they cluster if they are too close to each other. No rashes anywhere else in her body!Hopefully someone can help please!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2009
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • An this is happening to my 4year old dauther. Today I took her to my family doctor and she was puzzled. She say to use a cortison crean to see if it would resolved but quite honestly with my own eczema experience I feel this things are better treated from the inside out. If I only knew what is causidng these! Elbows and knees are rashed with bright red elevated spot with no fluid in it, sometimes they cluster if they are too close to each other. No rashes anywhere else in her body!Hopefully someone can help please!!!!!!!!if the itch is on outer side(flexeors)of elbows and knees most probabily its psoriasis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2010
    • 11:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • if the itch is on outer side(flexeors)of elbows and knees most probabily its psoriasis.Probably bedbugsThey like the thin skin on the elbows and kneesThey live in cracked floorboads, bed heads etc
  • I suddenly developed a rash on both my elbows 5 days after starting to rinse 2x/day with Peridex to prevent a recurrence of a tooth infection until I can get dental surgery. Some say Peridex is toxic to the body and one listed side effect is a rash. I stopped on the 10 day taking Peridex as a rinse but on the 12th day developed a very small rash on 1 knee.The rashes were bright red and itchy but no weeping or sign of infection.I tried prescription strength cortisone on the elbows on the 5th and 6th day which had not effect but reduced the iching slightly. I saw my GP on the 6th day for a complete physical (talk about timing) and he suggested the cortisone. My kidneys were also sore and he said the urine specimen would show if any infection. On the 7th and 8th day I tried Calimine lotion and covered them with pads but no effect. On the 9th and 10th day I tried neosporin but no effect. The rashes have decreased in itchiness and inflammation but are still there since I stopped using the Peridex on the 12th day. It is now the 15th day.I now dip a tiny brush in the Peridex and brush between teeth in the area to try to avoid the tooth infection recurrence and gargle well with Listerine. Because I continue to use Peridex albeit in very small amounts it may take a while to recover from the rash.I mention all this to suggest thinking thru any environmental or any prescription drug changes that may have caused your daughter's rashes. Good luck.
  • I suddenly developed a rash on both my elbows 5 days after starting to rinse 2x/day with Peridex to prevent a recurrence of a tooth infection until I can get dental surgery. Some say Peridex is toxic to the body and one listed side effect is a rash. I stopped on the 10 day taking Peridex as a rinse but on the 12th day developed a very small rash on 1 knee.I've been taking Chlorhexidrine/Peridex for 6 days since periodontal surgery. Itching began within a day on elbows and around knees. I was looking up penicillin allergy symptoms this morning, and saw this post. It's nothing terribly serious in my case, but I'm relieved that it's not likely penicillin ... or bed bugs!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have an itchy rash on my face, elbows, and knees. Looked it up and it sounds like fifth's disease, since I also have a sore throat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2011
    • 07:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been having this same issue. It's mostly my elbows, but I wake up many mornings and my elbows are terribly itchy and red. People have suggested psoriasis and bed bugs, but I've looked up both and neither seem like the right answer. Psoriasis has some flaky bits of skin, while my issue isn't quite so much a rash, but just the skin turning bright red- not inflamed or rough or anything. Bed bugs also don't seem like an option because I've just moved to a brand new apartment with brand new furniture, including one of those bed bug resistant mattresses. Since this has been an issue for a few months now, I find it unlikely that if it had been bed bugs, it would still be bed bugs. I don't really have any insight in to what it could be, but so far my solution has been simple. I use St. Ives Soothing Oatmeal & Shea Butter lotion on my elbows and they stop itching within minutes. My skin is very sensitive, so I haven't thought much of this reaction. I think it can be attributed to either allergies or the weather.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2011
    • 04:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • After reading this I realized I rinsed my mouth with Scope last night and this morning, not typical habit of mine. It is possible I swallowed a small amount and had an allergic reaction. Reading some other sites seem to indicate this allergy can even be deadly in at least one known case. I have itchy red raised bumps on my right elbow and right knee only. It started this morning and has bugged me all day, and I've noticed if I accidentally put pressure on my elbow it stings a good bit. I will be more careful about using my mouthwash, and making sure I don't swallow any and hope that resolves this issue. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2011
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement