Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Stomach Pain After Eating

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 50 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 8, 2007
  • 02:15 AM

Recently I've had really severe stomach pains after meals. I can barely eat a spoonful of rice without feeling sick. I can't sit down and it really feels like my stomach is gonna explode. I also have ireegular bowel movement. I've tried laxatives and something my doctor gave me that is similar to pepto bismal. It hasn't worked. I've been eating close to nothing but my stomach still hurts.

Reply Flag this Discussion

50 Replies:

• I've had the exact thing too but mine has lasted almost 10days now. At its worst my belly hurt just to push on it. I was constipated for 3 days and since that time I am regular and it is all much better but I don't have much of an appetite and my abdominal area still hurts to push on. I have some other medical issues going on that are unrelated, and everyone thinks because of the stress I am having this stomach problem, but its weird... if you find any answers please post !!Elle
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds like you could be intolorant to certain foods, I have the same thing but i suffer with a bloated stomach after each meal, and sever wind that really smells(sorry). I have being advised to try a gluton free diet, sounds really boaring as i really like food. I am only a size 10, but after a meal my stomach bloats that much I look at least 6 months pregnant, and cant fastern my jeans!!!!! let me know how you get on. Oh also you can have a hair test at certain weight clinics which they test and tell you what foods you can have and cant, the only problem is you will probably find that you cant eat anything, and thats no joke. Wheat is the worst thing for me,( bread, past, rice, garlic bread, currys, spicy foods)
  • everytime i eat something no matter wot it is am doubled over in pain makes me want to cry. it does settle for a while then starts up again and i feel like i want to b sick with the pain the pain is just above my belly button and one no wot it could b
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2007
    • 05:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you never mentioned if any test were done on the problem that your having, but I would suggest you mention these symptoms to your physician so he can come up with the correct diagnosis. It could be a number of things, like gallstones or ulcer. Your best bet would be to go see your doctor.LLB
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2007
    • 05:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • everytime i eat something no matter wot it is am doubled over in pain makes me want to cry. it does settle for a while then starts up again and i feel like i want to b sick with the pain the pain is just above my belly button and one no wot it could bFor about three days now, I've been about the same. Right as I am eating or right after a meal I notice I have a very bad pain that seems to be right at or above the belly button area. It comes and goes and it feels very much like a hunger pang but I know I'm not hungry because I've just eaten plus it's more painful than a hunger pang. I woke up at 1 in the morning the other day in so much pain from it I couldn't sleep...... I just doubled over and cried!Anybody know what could be wrong when you have something that feel like a hunger pang but isn't and is much more painful?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2007
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get a strange awkward pain about 40 minutes after breakfast, it makes me feel weakened as well, but usually dissipates in 20 miinutes or so
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 5, 2007
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My story is basically the same. I have been getting horrible stomach aches, bloating and gas after every meal. My stomach gets huge and it really hurts to press on it. I used to get it alot and was diagnosed with IBS (a better term for they don't have a clue). I'm getting it again lately. Anyone have any answers??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2007
    • 07:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Recently I've had really severe stomach pains after meals. I can barely eat a spoonful of rice without feeling sick. I can't sit down and it really feels like my stomach is gonna explode. I also have ireegular bowel movement. I've tried laxatives and something my doctor gave me that is similar to pepto bismal. It hasn't worked. I've been eating close to nothing but my stomach still hurts.I have alot of stomach pain after eating and I also have bloating and problems with my bowels
  • For about three days now, I've been about the same. Right as I am eating or right after a meal I notice I have a very bad pain that seems to be right at or above the belly button area. I'm no doc but it sounds exactly like when I had what I think was gallstones. You feel sick as soon as you eat becuase the digestive fluid duct is blocked, and it gets backed up. It could also be pancreatis. When I had these symptoms I was sent for an ultrasound which was actually normal, but putting a hot water bottle on my belly after eating eventually got rid of the pain, which is consistent with gallstones. Anyways, I'd get an ultrasound asap. It could be anything in your stomach that's going wrong and there are lots of things in that area!
    Aeelliott 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just go this message, and have been reading your replies. Have any of you discussed with your doctor about seeing a Gastro doctor. A doctor that specializes in your Gastro intestin tract? Pain after eating, bloating, gas, constipation can all be sings of possible reflux and or gastritis. Gastritis is inflamation of the stomach tissue that can cause pain. There are medications that one can take to coat the stomach lining and to reduce the symptoms of reflux. I really do encourage you to see a GI doctor.
  • My story is basically the same. I have been getting horrible stomach aches, bloating and gas after every meal. My stomach gets huge and it really hurts to press on it. I used to get it alot and was diagnosed with IBS (a better term for they don't have a clue). I'm getting it again lately. Anyone have any answers??Your first step is to take notes. Do you notice pain after certain meals, certain activities etc.. This will help your doc determine some possible causes.I have similar problems but include the nauseated feeling in there as well. It took a few years to go through all the testing to find out what it was, and in the end the doc came to the conclusion that I have a Hiatal Hernia. There are ways to reduce pain and gas. The burning pain comes from your stomach having to many acids in it. There are several mediactions you can use for this. I was using pepcid AC extra strength for almost a year until it wasn;t working so great. I went through my dic who in turn had me try a few different drugs before I found one that worked. Except I still get the nauseated feeling most days.First and foremost try changing your diet. Stay away from fatty/greasy foods. Anything deep fried or fast-food is a big no-no. Also stay away from caffeine, cigarettes and alcohol (beer especially). Lastly after you eat, don't lie down for at least 30 minutes to allow gravity to aide in digestion. Along the same lines when you sleep at night you may consider trying to elevate the head of the bed by a few inches or so. Some text books work well. Also though you might find a workout to make you sick to your stomach, in the long run exercise is really good for you and can minimize your nauseted feelings. My dod didn't tell me this, but I found an irregular or inadequte sleeping schedule sets of my stomach.Remember to chew thoroughly taking off starin for your stomach and less air leading to gas.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Recently I've had really severe stomach pains after meals. I can barely eat a spoonful of rice without feeling sick. I can't sit down and it really feels like my stomach is gonna explode. I also have ireegular bowel movement. I've tried laxatives and something my doctor gave me that is similar to pepto bismal. It hasn't worked. I've been eating close to nothing but my stomach still hurts.My stomach has been hurting really bad after meals. It doesnt even have to be a big meal, i could have something small like a banana and it would hurt. Its been a week since it started. & I have been doing number 2 like everyday since this has been happening. At first I thought oh well, it was probably something I ate. But now I'm starting to think something is wrong with me. I dont know. I googled 'stomach pains after eating' & everyone has been saying just go to the doctors. I'm sixteen and i have no idea what this is. Anyone that does know, your help would be nice. lol
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 00:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am not eating around people anymore because, after about two bites of whatever I am eating or 4 oz of whatever I am drinking, I get a doubling over pain and gas. The gas is so bad that I lock myself in a room and do not talk to anyone. I can barely make it through prayers at night with my child without passing gas. Two months prior to all of this, I had an abnormal pap, they told me not to worry about it and we would do another pap in six months.In the past 3 months, I have had Strep Throat (for the first time ever), Bronchitis, Colitis like symptoms and a ruptured cyst on my ovary.About three months prior to getting strep, I had lost 34 lbs in six weeks. After the second bout of antibiotics for the Bronchitis, I had to start taking pain meds so I could eat. I was on a clear liquid diet before the pain meds. My bowels are pencil thin, pale looking, and/or blood in my stool and then two or three days later, it would be normal. It seems to go in a cycle. In addition, before I started the liquid diet, my bowels were limited to mucus and blood, no matter what I ate. They ran blood work, told me I was fine, but there was a trace of blood in my urine, but it was no need to worry. While going through this, I was so tired and if I stood too long or bent down and tried to stand up (quickly or slowly), I would get dizzy and get those fuzzy black dots in front of my eyes. They did an ultrasound and told me I had had a cyst rupture on my ovary. They did a CT scan told me I was fine. Now the pain is coming back as stated in the first paragraph. I will be having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks, but the pain is mostly in my stomach now. The doctors look at me as if I am crazy and tell me my symptoms are unrelated. My back hurts in the location of my left kidney and has hurt for almost 3 months. I also have constant pain in the area where my rib cage meets in the center where my stomach is. I had my gall bladder removed four years ago. I itch all over, they tell me it is dry skin, I thought it might be an allergic reaction to the meds they gave me, but I can’t possibly be allergic to every kind of med they have given me. I put lotion on; it does not help. I even started taking Benadryl with the meds, did not help. I have not found any foods or beverage (it even hurts to drink water) that point to an allergy. I do not know what tests to ask for nor what symptom links all the other symptoms together.I am sorry I am starting to ramble. I understand the expression, “I am sick and tired of being sick and tired” means now!
  • Hi, I know these posts were quite awhile ago, so I hope you're doing better by now! I hope this might help someone searching this subject. My daughter has gastroparesis, a neuro-muscular disorder of the stomach. It can cause a variety of symptoms, including the ones mentioned here. There are tests that can be run to confirm it, but please know that sometimes a person can have this condition even if the tests are negative. Also, not all gastroenterologists are created equal (as we discovered after a year of misdiagnosis), so if one doesn't have an answer keep looking for one who will work with you and go that extra mile to help you. I recommend the digestivedistress.com website! Good luck, AdvcteMom
    AdvcteMom 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for all of the advice you have given, I too have severe stomach bloat feeling and pains after eating small meal (As small as a cup of broth). I use to have Severe intestinal pain and was hospitalized and checked for a variety of things. They ruled out the most serious problems, (Blockages, Gullstones, Autoimmune diseases, etc.) They put me on X-ray, Ultra-sounds, another day they did a Cat scan just to be sure since I was so worried about a blockage and didn't know what could cause so much pain. After 5 days with IV fluids and small liquid meals they let me go home and said IBS probably. But I was looking up what previous people wrote on forums such as: Coeliac disease, Hydrochloric acid Deficiency, Gastroparesis (Which I think they tested me for and did not find), Gastritus, celiac disease, Biliary Bile Duct Cholecyst. Now I am no doctor but I have symtoms from a few of these and most like Coeliac disease, But doctor guesses IBS cause he can't find anything else. I am thinking of seeing a gastroenterologist.But I was in the past diagnosed with GERD by a gastroenterologist. I get lots of stress too (which can make symtoms worse). I am hoping the gastroenterologist will have better diagnoses, better or worse, so I can get on the correct treatment, The doctor prescribed me medications for gas and intestinal cramps. Which he thinks will help with the diagnosis he gave me of IBS. I read somewhere It acts up for 12 weeks per year I think so I will probably have to deal with it. You can live without food for 30 days, so I am eating very little portions each day until I feel I can eat a slightly larger meal. You need like 60 Oz of water a day to stay hydrated because they said I was dehydrated too (I use to drink about 20 OZ a day! in drinks, of course I may have had more liquids from foods with them)... My symtoms are:- nausea (not to the point of throwing up)- Lots of Gas (Both ends, though hard to push out from below)- Feeling of painful bloat after eating small amount.- Loss of appetite (Probably because the discomfort)- Sometimes severe intestinal pain to moderate pain.- Very Very tired feeling and low heartbeat (around 60bpm, but docs said its safe)- Constipation (but when I go it's diahreah and hard to push out, as if my intestine slowed in digestion.- abdominal distentionWell Not gonna check for errors in my post cause im tired so I pray to all people with bloat symtoms to feel better, I know it can sometimes be extremely uncomfortable, but after you get a doctor to rule out some severe problems the stress reduce helps, so go for peace of mind even thought it will cost hundreds of dollars even with insurrance. One more thing to say for peace of mind, It may feel so painful at one time that you think you will die, I almost passed out in hospital room because the pain, but it will go away and you will not die if it is IBS.I think a lot of doctors use search engines to gather some information they may have forgotten in medical school, so if you can search at home and bring some additional information for checking I'm sure the doctor would check for it if he feels you may have it. Here is wiki on IBS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome
  • I have been diagnosed with serious IBS and its not that bad but im alergic to fruit beaceuse I eat a few and i get the runs and bad stomach pain. Im 11 and Im dealing iwth it right now
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2009
    • 00:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For the past year or two, every time that eat, I have horrible stomach pain. my friend and I went out to eat two weeks ago, and I ate one cheese stick, and I had to stop, and we had to leave, I started crying because the pain was horrible, on a scale 1-10 my pain is a 10. Ive taken zantac's which works for an hour, but then the pain goes away, and this is evry time that I go out or even if I eat a sandwhich, the other day, I drank a cup of hot chocolate, and the same thing happened, when my pains are here, I can bearly stand up, let alone trying to hold in the tears are impossible, I don't know what else to try, and I don't know what could be wrong..... help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 04:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi ok so for the past year or two, I have had a major problem. about 1 month ago, my friend and I went out to eat, we got our food, I ate one cheese stick, and 5 mins later, I was in horrible pain, I couldn't even stop crying, and I could bearly even stand up, I know something has to be wrong with me, but I don't know what, I am 19, and this has been going on since I was 17 and what ever it is, is running my life, it dont matter what I eat, the other day I ate half of a ham sandwhich and it happened, I had to leave work because I couldn't move, and it's not just what I eat, it's also what I drink, I had a cup of hot chocolate, and no joke, I drank about 1/4 of it and my pain was on a scale of 1-10, a 9, I can't stand it,, I taken meds for the pains like Zantac, and peptiacid, but that only helps for at most an hour, what is wrong with me, I don't know but I need help.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 04:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have stomach pain after I eat as well. They are cramps in the lower stomach. I went to the gastrointestinal doctor and they did blood work, stool samples, and a colonoscopy. They still haven't found anything wrong. It's a mystery!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2009
    • 10:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe you guys are constipated. Take some exlax or pepto if that doesn't work you may have sensitive stomache to certain foods or not eating enough fruits and vegetables. Stay dehydrated too before and after meals. im a doctor so don't worry.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2009
    • 03:18 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement