Discussions By Condition: Liver conditions

Extreme muscle cramping all over body

Posted In: Liver conditions 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 7, 2007
  • 00:29 AM

I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.
Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one.

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• My husband is having sever muscle cramps and they are escalating. You mentioned that you have stage 4 liver cirrhosis. Before you were told this, did you know you had liver problems? My husband has been to a neuroligist and his GP. Both said all of his blood work are fine yet the cramps contunie. You peaked my interest in your case because of the liver comment. My husband has a Hep C and this affects the liver. Now I am wondering if he needs to have it tested as his blood work shows all is well too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My dad had a liver and kidney transplant 4 years ago. He recieved hep c from a blood transfusion when he was 14 which caused him to eventually get cerohsis. Now his liver is acting up again and is getting his stomach drained twice a week! Then has to sit & get his albuteral(?) to put the nutrience back in his body. But lately the last month he has been getting extreme cramping all over. Especially after this procedure. It never happend the first time his liver failed I don't understand why this time. Any one have suggestions? Or questions? -Sarah-
  • I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one.I have extreme cramping too and my liver functions are normal too!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2009
    • 11:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • On or about 2002 I started having extreme foot cramps, so bad it felt as though my feet were being crushed. Over the next few years I tried a number of things to stop or even reduce the intensity of the pain. Nothing really worked. In 2004 I had a heart attack, after receiving a stent(shunt) the pain was gone. by the end of the year it had started again and has continued to get worse. I now have extreme cramping all over, the kind of pain that makes you wish your mommy never net yoiur daddy. That is really the only way to describe the pain when it occurs. The only blessing is that the cramps usually only happen in one limb or area at a time, the most intense pain is in my feet and legs. In the last year I have been getting them in my hands and around the base of my rib cage. They used to be at night but that is changing and I'm starting to get them in the early evening as well. My feet are still the primary area of the pain.I have tried mosr of the vitamins and drugs to date and nothing seems to help.I do have Hep c, I have heart problems and I am on the up side of being a diabetic.I have had every test there is to see if there is a corilation between the disorders and the cramps as with most medicle issues I can not get a consise answer from any health professional.The one thing I have used that has given me quite a bit of releif is a tpoical oil called DRAGON's BLOOD. It is a matial arts oil and it works in many applications but it appears to be the only thing that I have found to date that actually gives me releif.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2009
    • 01:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one.My mom would lay in bed ans scream that her legs and hand cramped there wasnt much we could do. I would just rub them for her sometime a little heat might help. but they told us just some people get the cramping and others dont
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2009
    • 10:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband is in Stage 4 of cirrhosis of the liver and experiences severe cramping particularly in his legs and feet. Our doctor advised us to get an over-the-counter medication called "Cal-Mag" which I can tell you worked wonderfully. Since taking one pill a day, husband who had cramps almost every night and whose legs I had to massage each time for his relief, has not had a repeat of the cramps.I am also going to look for the martial arts oil as well. Does anyone know what gets rid of the terrible itching he has all over. I know it is a symptom of end stage cirrhosis called puritus, a buildup of the bile in his skin, but I would like to know if there is any readily available medication to help. The gastroenterologist is hesitant to give him any medication because it might throw off the balance since he is also a diabetic on insulin.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 02:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever looked into mitochondrial toxic byproductsOn or about 2002 I started having extreme foot cramps, so bad it felt as though my feet were being crushed. Over the next few years I tried a number of things to stop or even reduce the intensity of the pain. Nothing really worked. In 2004 I had a heart attack, after receiving a stent(shunt) the pain was gone. by the end of the year it had started again and has continued to get worse. I now have extreme cramping all over, the kind of pain that makes you wish your mommy never net yoiur daddy. That is really the only way to describe the pain when it occurs. The only blessing is that the cramps usually only happen in one limb or area at a time, the most intense pain is in my feet and legs. In the last year I have been getting them in my hands and around the base of my rib cage. They used to be at night but that is changing and I'm starting to get them in the early evening as well. My feet are still the primary area of the pain.I have tried mosr of the vitamins and drugs to date and nothing seems to help.I do have Hep c, I have heart problems and I am on the up side of being a diabetic.I have had every test there is to see if there is a corilation between the disorders and the cramps as with most medicle issues I can not get a consise answer from any health professional.The one thing I have used that has given me quite a bit of releif is a tpoical oil called DRAGON's BLOOD. It is a matial arts oil and it works in many applications but it appears to be the only thing that I have found to date that actually gives me releif.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one.I to suffer from cramps in my entire body so server that they will stop you in your tracks no matter were you are. My cramps are all over legs,stomach,arms, back but the most painfull of them all is in the base of my scull when this happens i just have to stand were i am and look up and put pressure on the base of my scull it can be very embarissing out in public. I have also been checked for liver function and kidney function and they all came back fine so they say. I did how ever get Qfever when i worked at a meatworks and i do know this can cause problems with the liver.The hardest thing is no one can help stop the cramps and i have lived with them for so long i cant even remember when thay first started.Do you find they get more frequient durring summer when the hummidity is higher and you sweat more? i also find airconditioning and fans can start my cramps off.Its nice to know im not alone with this problem but at the same time i feel for all of you who suffer from this condition as i know just how pain full it is and how hard it is to deal with. As hard as it is keep smiling and think positive thoughts sometimes its the only thing that keeps me going.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2010
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have normal liver counts, an enlarged liver with alcohol liver disease. I too have pains like electricity going through my body and cramping that brings me to my knees in tears and screaming. This is called neropathy. it usually happens because of another disorder in your body usually diabetes but is very common for people with liver disorders also. Neropathy attacks part or all of your nervous system (there are 3 different parts) it can go away with the healing of your primary illness or it can persist and get worse. You need to see a nerologist.
    BrandieZ 4 Replies
    • January 28, 2010
    • 10:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one. Yes, and you have me worried, I have what is beleived to be a tumor on myAdrenelin gland causing it to leak into my blood stream at all times, after years (15)of seing every kind of doctor possible, and trying to hold down a very technical jobwhile not sleeping for days, I was placed on seroquel 12-08, around 5-09, I startedgetting odd cramps, and fluid retention off and on. so I started taking potasium andother supplements and working out (seroquel will put some pounds on you) howeverthe cramps continued (most often while doing ab work). finaly on 2-7-10, while at workI had a cramp start in my mid torso, and then cover my whole body, I was down, paramedics rushed me to the hospital, the E.R. staff thought I was having a heart atackand refused to give me any kind of pain killer, I belief I know how it would feel to beshot at close range by a 20 gage shotgun. after nine hours of agony I was releasedand went to my regular doctor the next day, the E.R. claimed an energy drink, alongwith hypertension was the cause of the cramps, however my doctor was in disbeliefwith my lab work, my kidneys were bleeding and my liver enzymes were so far of thecharts, that he thinks I should have been admitted into a hospital. after some researchI found that seroquel can damage your kidneys, pancreas, and liver. my liver will stillswell even though I have discontinued seroquel and I still have cramps (usualy local)I can only hope that I havent done so much damage that I am finished, test will soon tell.good luck on your situation
  • I have had muscles cramps all over my body for some time. They started about 1 year after taking Liptor and I seen on TV a person had adverse affects from it. I stoped taking it and about 2 months later the cramps stopped. I had the liver test and they always showed normal and still do. I have been to the doctor and told them but nothing has been done. Like everyone there are times I want to scream. After reading your replys I am wandering about my liver. Sometimes I wander if the Liptor did not start the problem.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am 52 and have cramps all over my body for longer than I can remember. I've asked my dr. and he tells me to exercise more -- drink more water -- doesn't matter what I do,still cramp. Has gotten so bad that sometimes I take one of my husban'ds muscle relaxers b/c I just sit and cry everything is cramping so bad at night while i'm tryingto sleep. No one has any answers -- all my tests come back fine, no liver problems, no cholesterol problems, no heart problems, no diabetes... no answers. I to suffer from cramps in my entire body so server that they will stop you in your tracks no matter were you are. My cramps are all over legs,stomach, arms, back but the most painfull of them all is in the base of my scull when this happens i just have to stand were i am and look up and put pressure on the base of my scull it can be very embarissing out in public. I have also been checked for liver function and kidney function and they all came back fine so they say. I did how ever get Qfever when i worked at a meatworks and i do know this can cause problems with the liver.The hardest thing is no one can help stop the cramps and i have lived with them for so long i cant even remember when thay first started.Do you find they get more frequient durring summer when the hummidity is higher and you sweat more? i also find airconditioning and fans can start my cramps off.Its nice to know im not alone with this problem but at the same time i feel for all of you who suffer from this condition as i know just how pain full it is and how hard it is to deal with. As hard as it is keep smiling and think positive thoughts sometimes its the only thing that keeps me going.
  • I thought I was the only one who got cramps like this. I hear alot of you talk about being on hep c and having liver/kidney problems. I've had severe cramps in my stomach for years (since my late 20's/early 30's). I was on no medication and had no health problems. The cramps came once in a while and were not too severe. Over the next few years had gotten more frequent and stronger. In the last 4 yrs. I started having to take blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, asprin, water pill and potassium meds. My cramping has increased to an all over cramping......neck, shoulder blades, rib cage, toes but oddly, not in my stomach anymore. It does stop you dead in your tracks, and once you get one, more follow until the episode passes. My blood work also shows no kidney or liver damage. I don't know what's causes the cramps but I am desperate to find a way to stop it. It's impossible to function normally with this problem. I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one.
  • I have had severe cramping in my legs and feet, under the rib cage on my right side, and in my hips almost every day for quite some time. I thought it was a deficiency so I try to get extra potassium in my system and I try to drink a lot of water.I never thought it could be related to my kidneys or liver. But I do believe the last time I had them checked, everything was fine.Is there a certain test that needs to be run?Because after reading all this .... I am getting nervous.
  • I have been trying to figure out why i get these muscle spasms all ovr my body at once, and yes it is horrifying pain and i also have fybromyalgia, and Hep c. My DR gives me muscle relaxers i take when they start, so they only last 20 to 30 minutes now, but Dr says they don't have all the answers . I am going to ask about the possibility of Hep C being the cause.I was beginning to think i was crazy, so thanks all who have posted here on this subject, i don't feel so alone now or crazy. Will try to let you know her answer if i can find my way back here,lol.
  • I am 52 and have cramps all over my body for longer than I can remember. I've asked my dr. and he tells me to exercise more -- drink more water -- doesn't matter what I do,still cramp. Has gotten so bad that sometimes I take one of my husban'ds muscle relaxers b/c I just sit and cry everything is cramping so bad at night while i'm tryingto sleep. No one has any answers -- all my tests come back fine, no liver problems, no cholesterol problems, no heart problems, no diabetes... no answers.I started having cramping a while back along with pain all over in joints,and muscles evryhwere, I've been on liptitor seroquil, and a dozen other pills over the years , with prognosis of everything from anxiety to fibromyalgia, , lately the legs are hurting,mainly my left and now the cramps are in every part of my body, last week while at work ,was the worst yet,every mosvement caused another cramp, it got so bad that while undresswing to go to the clinic my toes and fingers started cramping also,I'm now so sore from that ordeal that I can barely walk, all my tests are fine and nobdy has a clue yet as to whats wrong.does anyone here have insights????
  • I am having muscle cramps all over body and it is really painful. I went to er and they said all my blood work was fine and to take something for pain because I have Cirrhosis of the liver and Diabetic. They did not tell me if it was from the liver but I have a feeling it was. After researching it I did find out that muscle cramps are symtoms of Cirrhosis. Thank you all for the insight,it really helped. I'm not alone in this. Thanks!!!!The only thing I do now is apply heat and wait till my dr appt.
  • I have normal liver counts, an enlarged liver with alcohol liver disease. I too have pains like electricity going through my body and cramping that brings me to my knees in tears and screaming. This is called neropathy. it usually happens because of another disorder in your body usually diabetes but is very common for people with liver disorders also. Neropathy attacks part or all of your nervous system (there are 3 different parts) it can go away with the healing of your primary illness or it can persist and get worse. You need to see a nerologist. hi i suffer from cramps all over my body, i find if i keep a cheap bottle of coca cola (17 pence asda) by my bed and sip it through the night keeps the cramps at bay, it works best if you let it go flat,there are more electrolites in flat cola,..i hope this helps . tangledup:confused:
    tangledup61 2 Replies
    • February 6, 2012
    • 01:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been diagnosed with Final stages of stage four cirrhosis of the liver. Yet my blood tests (liver function) still show my liver is functioning normal.Lately I have been in sever, sever pain with cramping. Not just one spot, but all over the body at one time. It is so painful, that even in public all I can do is scream and cry. I can not stand straight when it happens OR sit down. my legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach, neck etc. all cramp at the same time. I find myself asking God to just take me home it hurts so bad. Is there anyone else that is experiencing this? I can not believe I am the only one. I got tears in my eyes, I have been searching so long for anything and everything that could be causing extremely painful muscle cramping all in and around my ribs from the front to back and even down into the hips, left leg, and now arms too sometimes.. .. All at the same time simoultainiously!! Im taking calcium, soaked in epsom salt baths for the magnesium, taking potassium.. Its just rediculous and getting worse! The tears are because I thought I was all alone in this! Already been tested for Hep(Dont have any of it), I do have Hepatospleenomegaly (Enlarged Liver and spleen).. Use to be just the liver.. Having many bouts of very, very, pale stools that started a year ago this month!! Like the pale color of hospital latex gloves(not normal)This past year has been pretty rough! I do not drink! Or use rec/street drugs! I do have fatty infiltration of the liver, losing weight is not helping.. I had a complete thyroidectomy 6 months ago, and have lost 35 pounds doing absolutely nothing to do so, its just coming off.. Everytime i step on the scale, dont matter if its everyday, im a pound lighter or 2 pounds lighter.. Kinda scared of that, not that i dont want to be thinner, but im not obese as it is.. Im average, never been a skinny mini... 3 weeks ago I had a really bad episode! Its 2 am and all i did was pull my pants down to pee! It started on my right side right at the base of the ribs where your liver is, and before i could get off the toilet, it was both sides, all the way around to my back, and going down my sides into the hips! Every muscle i have in those areas cramped up. It took my breath away and i couldnt breath. By the time i made it out my bedroom door, my 21 year old turned and looked at me when i opened the door.. All I could say to him with tears rollin down my face was "Steven, please help me", even tho i knew he couldnt! He tried pushing his fists into my back as hard as he could, and taking his hand and sqeezing my sides hard as he could but without relief. Its like they just all the sudden lock up. I almost had him call 911 cuz i couldnt breathe! These are becoming more frequent, and i too beg the Lord to make it all go away! I just dont understand it! But i am very grateful I finally researched something helpful. I feel bad for those of that are going thru this. Sure is the craziest **** ive ever seen or felt!.So if im reading this right, then they need to look more at my liver?? By all the posts, the liver is what seems to be causing this problem, cuz nothing i do is helping including muscle relaxers(none of them).. What do you think??
    Angela Vid 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm hoping today is the day we have answers to unbearable pain that comes with the muscle cramps generally in the the liver area- I too have liver disease from Hep C and Fatty Liver plus I'am a diabetic and an elarged spleen- My doctor told me that when you have liver damage the nerves in the liver misfire and cause these spasms, cramps, charlie horse, etc. All I know they are painful and afterwards your left sore and scared to make a move. Today she prescribed a drug called Gabpapentin plus Valium plus Milk Thistle- During my vacation I'm willing to give all these a try and pray the cramps never return. She told me the Gabapentin will put the nevers to sleep, the Valium (at the time of an attack) will relax all your muscles, and of course Milk Thistle will help repair your liver. I'll be sure to keep you up to date if this therapy works. Wish me luck!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2012
    • 07:27 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement