Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Wake up early - World spinning

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 33 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 6, 2007
  • 07:27 PM

Every since I was little I would have this happen on average about once every year or so. I'm now 32 and it still occassionally happens.

The general routine is this... I wake up very early (from 3 to 6am usually), the world is spinning out of control and I'm beyond nauseous. Usually have to sprint to the bathroom to throw up.

After that, I no longer have the spins anymore at all. Throwing up helps much of the nausea go away and I feel better for a few minutes. Then the nausea creeps back in and after half an hour or so I can't take it and I'll go force myself to throw up again (which again helps w/the nausea).

Sitting up in bed or watching some TV helps... laying down is a good way to make myself nauseous again quickly. This continues usually for about 6 hours, give or take a few. Generally within 8 or so hours I feel as if nothing ever happened and I was never sick.

I used to think that this was caused by an average flu, but I'm really thinking now that it has something to do with my inner ear or balance or something. It's like waking up very sea-sick.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening to other people? I have searched around on the NET but have yet to find anything.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Take care

Reply Flag this Discussion

33 Replies:

• Wow. I have not the slightest idea.One part of your story is particularly interesting, though: you say the world is sprinting, but you are able to "sprint" to the bathroom. That is an odd combination. Makes me wonder if it is regular vertigo you are experiencing, or something else. But your ability to sprint suggest it is NOT an inner ear thing. Of course, I could be wrong. Apologies, that is the only insight I can offer. I'm glad you don't have these things very often!Have you ever told a doctor about these bouts of nausea?Best,Shula
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I had what is referred to as positional vertigo. It would come on when I switched positions in bed and it really made me feel ill. My understanding is that vertigo can be attributed to an inner ear problem. I would check that out. Here's a tip that I am embarrassed to say I learned in highschool from a friend to stop those horrid "bed spins" after having a few too many drinks. She told me to put one foot on the floor while lying in bed. It works! My vertigo went away on its own, but I was glad to have the bed spin tip! Good luck with your symptoms. I would see your doctor.
  • when waking up to early (and especially too fast) your body's blood pressure is lower compared to when you wake up normally, your metabolism is slower and your general energy availability is decreased. if you have to wake up earlly, try setting your alarm clock 15 minutes earlier so you can hit the snooze button a couple of times before you actually wake up - this takes your body out of sleep more gradually and lets you prepare for being awake.
  • I have the same thing. It comes maybe once a year or once every 2 years. It has woken me up out of a sleep but usually when I wake up in the morning. I have been through many test and have determined it is inner ear. When the fluid shifts you feel like you are spinning backwards at a very fast rate. I can't sprint to the bathroom I bounce off walls trying to get there to throw up. The best thing to do is take an antivert (which has an antihistimine) and sleep with your head propped up. I had this one time for a month. It wasn't at the extreme dizzy state that it started but I had vertigo non stop.I took Claritin continously. The antihistimne will help dry it up. I also went to the Dr. and he did a positioning procedure to mainly get the fluid to shift back. It will make you very dizzy at the time but much better when it is over. Unfortunatly there is no cure for this and age makes it worse.
  • I've actually never mentioned it to a doctor.I should clearify a little. When I wake up and everything is spinning, I have to sit there for about 20-30 seconds until it stops. Or rather, hang onto the bed so I don't fall out of it (i'm kidding a little, but it does feel like you're going to fall to the ceilling - things are spinning pretty pretty violently). After things calm down I can run to the bathroom.Well thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
  • i have the exact same problem! it only happens about 1-4 times a year. it usually starts with my dream begining to spin & if i wake up right away when the spinning just begings then i am usually ok & can go back to sleep if i prop myself up. if i dont wake up from the dream right away the spinning gets worse then i wake up & the room is spinning really really fast to the point i can barely see. i have to try & focus on the light from my alarm clock until the spinning slows & eventually stops & i can read the time on my clock again. it usually lasts 20-40 seconds but feels like forever. i never throw up but usually feel like i'm about to & i feel really motion sick afterwards. i have to sit up for a few minutes before i can go back to sleep. its really scary. my doctor told me its vertigo wich makes sense because thats probably why i get motionsick so easy. i even get dizzy on the merry go round. once i went on the "zipper" at the fair (a ride that spins u upside down alo) & i threw up for like 2 hours & felt sick for about 5 hours! i cant even spin around once without feeling dizzy & sick. it was good to read your article to know that i'm not alone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2009
    • 09:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, I read your post and I couldnt have said it better myself.. I would wake up with my eyes spinning and try and focus on something for a good 30 seconds until the spinning would slow and eventualy stop, it makes me feel sick and has caused vomiting before now. I find I am worse if I am too hot in bed, like in summer if I accidentally fall asleep under a blanket or something of that nature... Also lying flat can cause an episode as you can irritate the delicate membranes within the ears. My suggestions are to try and keep your head propped up even slightly so you are looking at the middle of the ceiling, and try using a feather pillow, this cradles your head so you dont flick it from left to right as much, which can also set of a spinning session......the worst part for me is that I can wake up, stop spinning and feel 'ok' but as soon as I start to drift off again, I can feel my eyes starting to wobble and I have to open them and focus again.. very rarely does this happen but when it does I have to just wait it out until I am so tired I fall asleep...I suffer from Migraines which can either set off a spinning episode, make one worse or cause a migraine... I have experienced this problem for years and it was first diagnosed as an episode of Labyrinthitits which is inflammation of the inner ear membranes. However as it has gone on for so long and happens at night it was finally diagnosed as BPPV which is Benign Paroxysmal Postional Vertigo, it can also sometimes be known as 'Ear Crystals' as the conditions is basically small crystal deposits which natually occur within the inner ear chambers and normally sit at the base of the chamber and weight the liquid down, so as you move they stimulate the membranes underneath and tell your brain where you body is in relation to the world, however in BPPV sufferers, these crystals have become dislogged and float round, incorrectly bumping into other parts of the chamber, telling your brain you are upside down, your brain then gets confused because you inner ear in saying one thing and the rest of your body, including your eyes are saying something else, it's only when you can focus on something that you override the confusion in your brain.... Check out YouTube - type in Dix Hallpike and Epley Maneuver which are both self-help techniques which can reduce the syptoms of or even stop the condition.I hope this has helped you and even if this isnt what you are suffering from, maybe it's a start in tracking down a diagnosis. All I can say is I'm glad I dont get it often...My top tips are...1 - have a thin pillow and then a feather/down or wheat pillow to stop your head rapidly jumping from each side2 - prop it up slightly so when you are lying down your head is naturally looking to the centre of your bedroom ceiling3 - avoid overheating yourself, unles it's freezing outside, have fresh air in the room, either a fan, AC or open a window very slightly4 - dont eat spicy or very sugary foods late at night, going out for a hot curry then washing it down with a litre of coke will almost certainly cause an episodeand lastly...5 - dont have your room pitch black unless you have digital clock, if you wake up spinning you NEED something to focus on quickly, like the curtains, a bedside table or if it's pitch back your alarm clock, somthing you dont have to reach for, but can just look at until you return to earth......Good Luck and I hope you get yourself sorted.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 10:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ok, i came looking on google, because i got what you described for the first time ever last night. it was really wierd, i was dreaming, and then my dream started spin, then that made me feel sick, which inturn woke me up... but when i woke up the whole room was spinning, the spinning stoped in about 10 or 20 seconds however, once i told my body it was just a dream... but it made me feel so sick, and this happend at 3 this morning, i know that cause i phoned my girlfriend and got the time off her. anyhow, i felt sick all night, but got back to sleep, then when i was awoken at about 7, the room span out of controll again, and the same feeling of sickness followed. i had a cold shower, and after some breakfest felt fine... but im not sure, will it happen again you no? im only 15, and if its the same thing you have, then it probably will....p.s ive always had these really excrutionanatingly painfull stomach aches, and no doctor was able to tell me what it was, do you think there linked? do you get them...
  • Sounds like Menier's Disease I get sudden attacks just like yours waking up with the room spinning feeling/being really sick, rarely happens to me anymore I got use to reading the signs of an impending attack - room suddenly tilting, feeling a bit giddy etc and would use preventative meds - a tablet you slip under your top lip for sickness and another for dizziness. Go see your doctor and here's a link should be helpful.http://www.menieresinfo.com/start.html#what-is-md
    maggiemay 68 Replies Flag this Response
  • vertigo!!!!!! i have it one time so bad thought i had a stroke they have meds for it called antivert for me it was like the "spins" when i have drank way to much
  • I woke up on a Friday about 3-4 weeks ago to one of the worst experiences of my life. At 4am I woke to get a drink and found everthing spinning out of control. I went back to bed and fell asleep. I woke up two hours later to go to work. I could barely make it to the bathroom because I was spinning so bad. I don't drink, so having the spins from drinking is out of the question. I called for my wife. She helped me back to bed and got me a pail to get sick in just in time. For the next 3-4 hours I vommited every 10-15 minutes. I went to urgent care and got an I.V. and 3 or 4 prescriptions(one for vertigo,Pepcid,one for nausea and one for the dizziness). I couldn't keep any of these prescriptions down. By this time it was about 12 o'clock. Once back at home I would try to keep down a mixture of water and gatorade but would vommit that up within minutes. The extreme dizziness had subsided but the abdominal pain was intense. This vicious cycle of UNBELIEVABLE stomach pain followed by vommiting bile(which temporarily relieved the pain) and then at most a 4 minute nap lasted about 6 hours before I couldn't take anymore and had to be driven to the emergency room. After and hour and a half in the waiting room I was admitted and received an IV and something for my abdominal pain(administered through the IV) this was enough relief for me so I could finally fall asleep. When I woke up an hour later I was given a CATSCAN which revealed nothing. I got another I.V. and was released by 11:30 that night. This experience was nuts. The dizziness and nausea was awful but the abdominal pain that followed, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Every since I was little I would have this happen on average about once every year or so. I'm now 32 and it still occassionally happens. The general routine is this... I wake up very early (from 3 to 6am usually), the world is spinning out of control and I'm beyond nauseous. Usually have to sprint to the bathroom to throw up. After that, I no longer have the spins anymore at all. Throwing up helps much of the nausea go away and I feel better for a few minutes. Then the nausea creeps back in and after half an hour or so I can't take it and I'll go force myself to throw up again (which again helps w/the nausea). Sitting up in bed or watching some TV helps... laying down is a good way to make myself nauseous again quickly. This continues usually for about 6 hours, give or take a few. Generally within 8 or so hours I feel as if nothing ever happened and I was never sick. I used to think that this was caused by an average flu, but I'm really thinking now that it has something to do with my inner ear or balance or something. It's like waking up very sea-sick. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening to other people? I have searched around on the NET but have yet to find anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Take care I have had this happen from severe b12 deficiency. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=159165&posted=1#post159165 come over and talk about it. If it is b12 deficiency you would most likely have a lot of other symptoms.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yea I have that too! I am only 12 years old and I have been getting that for the past couple of days. I have been staying home because after I wake up I dont feel good. I am still dizzy. Everytime I go to bed I wake up in the middle of the night and turn and the room spins for like 10-20 seconds. Even if I close my eyes it is still bad, its like my head is spinning then.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2010
    • 07:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a problem like yours too. And my doctor said I am anemic. Some problem of anemia is because you don't have enough blood supplied in your body, and it causes you a headache, as what you have said: you have a spinning world when you woke up.
    nene790 13 Replies
    • January 6, 2010
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Every since I was little I would have this happen on average about once every year or so. I'm now 32 and it still occassionally happens. The general routine is this... I wake up very early (from 3 to 6am usually), the world is spinning out of control and I'm beyond nauseous. Usually have to sprint to the bathroom to throw up. After that, I no longer have the spins anymore at all. Throwing up helps much of the nausea go away and I feel better for a few minutes. Then the nausea creeps back in and after half an hour or so I can't take it and I'll go force myself to throw up again (which again helps w/the nausea). Sitting up in bed or watching some TV helps... laying down is a good way to make myself nauseous again quickly. This continues usually for about 6 hours, give or take a few. Generally within 8 or so hours I feel as if nothing ever happened and I was never sick. I used to think that this was caused by an average flu, but I'm really thinking now that it has something to do with my inner ear or balance or something. It's like waking up very sea-sick. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening to other people? I have searched around on the NET but have yet to find anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Take care I had something similar and was diagnosed with TMJ - temporomandibular joint dysfunction - All the stress in my life caused me to grit my teeth at night. A mouth guard (and less stress) solved the problem.
    kat2009 14 Replies
    • January 9, 2010
    • 06:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had something similar and was diagnosed with TMJ - temporomandibular joint dysfunction - All the stress in my life caused me to grit my teeth at night. A mouth guard (and less stress) solved the problem.
    kat2009 14 Replies
    • January 9, 2010
    • 06:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No salt or low salt. Blood pressure rises and pushes on inner ear nerves. Avoid space heaters or hot rooms. Recognize triggers such as headache or sinus pressure.RJ
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2010
    • 06:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im a teenager and i have the exact same problems. If it has happened to you once, im pretty sure it will happen again. When i would be in a state of almost waking up from a dizzy dream i would be semi conscious---knowing that the situation was very uncomfortable, but not exactly knowing what would happen. Then, after it happened i was worn out, tired, and feeling sick.Try reading some of the other posts, they convinced me to go to the doctor because they had talked about some dyagnosis. I havent gone yet, but i suggest you should go too and see what you have--maybe we can compare results, we most likely have the same dyagnosis. :) thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2010
    • 06:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also had a stomach ache and diharea two days ago, and then yesterday I woke up with the room spinning. Today I also woke up with a spinning room and I feel nauseous still. I'm not sure what it is, maybe an inner ear virus or something.ok, i came looking on google, because i got what you described for the first time ever last night. it was really wierd, i was dreaming, and then my dream started spin, then that made me feel sick, which inturn woke me up... but when i woke up the whole room was spinning, the spinning stoped in about 10 or 20 seconds however, once i told my body it was just a dream... but it made me feel so sick, and this happend at 3 this morning, i know that cause i phoned my girlfriend and got the time off her. anyhow, i felt sick all night, but got back to sleep, then when i was awoken at about 7, the room span out of controll again, and the same feeling of sickness followed. i had a cold shower, and after some breakfest felt fine... but im not sure, will it happen again you no? im only 15, and if its the same thing you have, then it probably will....p.s ive always had these really excrutionanatingly painfull stomach aches, and no doctor was able to tell me what it was, do you think there linked? do you get them...
  • You mentioned when you wake up, you get dizzy. Are you standing up quickly from bed? You could be lightheaded from not eating a good meal the night before. I could see how it could also be related to an inner ear infection or problem too. I would talk with a doctor though to get a correct diagnosis.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement