Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

swollen lymph nodes in neck and back of head

Posted In: Blood conditions 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 5, 2007
  • 05:27 AM

hi

i have had swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck and one on the back of my head. I have now had them for over 6months. they are painless and mobile but the one on the back of my head is firm and hard. i went to my doctor about 3 months ago and my bloodwork was fine. I had one that was faily larger then the rest on the left side of my neck but it has slowly gone down in size but now all my nodes seem to be the same size. I do feel more fatigued, i am not looseing weight nor am i getting night sweats...i don't think. The thing is i can't remeber getting an infection when my lymph nodes become evident at first. they seem like they appearded from nowhere. my doctor basically told me to wait and call back if they get larger or dont decrease in size. anyone had similar exp or know any usefull info. i am 20yrs old.

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• You should continue to have a doctor evaluate these lumps. At age 20, they shouldn't be enlarged for an extended period of time. My daughter has had swollen lymph nodes for over a year. It is very common for children to have swollen glands but not for an extended period of time. They removed her lymph node last April 2006 and everything came back okay. They said the bumps should go down soon but she has had them since March 2006 with no change. I am going to take her back this week to discuss this with a doctor. From my experience, you should have a fine needle aspiration or a biopsy to make sure there is nothing to worry about. If your doctor doesn't agree, you may want to think about getting a second opinion.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hii have had swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck and one on the back of my head. I have now had them for over 6months. they are painless and mobile but the one on the back of my head is firm and hard. i went to my doctor about 3 months ago and my bloodwork was fine. I had one that was faily larger then the rest on the left side of my neck but it has slowly gone down in size but now all my nodes seem to be the same size. I do feel more fatigued, i am not looseing weight nor am i getting night sweats...i don't think. The thing is i can't remeber getting an infection when my lymph nodes become evident at first. they seem like they appearded from nowhere. my doctor basically told me to wait and call back if they get larger or dont decrease in size. anyone had similar exp or know any usefull info. i am 20yrs old.This sounds similar to what I am dealing with now. I had a few lymph nodes on the left side of my neck that became slightly enlarged in March. Some were/are movable but went down after a couple of weeks. They have become enlarge again with out any reason, that I can tell. I just finished a strong antibiotics since nothing else was making them go down. They are still enlarged & now the glands under my jaw/chin are starting to feel sore.I've already had a CT scan to rule tumors etc out and that came back fine. I'm confused what can be causing them to react this way. I did recently find out I had a tiny nodule/lump on the right side of my thyroid that I need to have biopsied and will have that done at the end on May, but if that has anything to do with these swollen nodes, then why are the swollen nodes not on the same side as the nodule...I also just noticed a swollen node on the back of my head. I have over the years would notice when this node would become enlarged. It always feels firm when enlarged and will get to the size of a marble everytime. I just wonder if it's normal for *that* node to feel that way when it's enlarged... Anyone? It's the node just at the base of the skull/back of the neck. I am 26, so not much difference in age either. Good luck to you & keep us posted whenever you fnd out something!
    FireDiva 15 Replies Flag this Response
  • This sounds similar to what I am dealing with now. I had a few lymph nodes on the left side of my neck that became slightly enlarged in March. Some were/are movable but went down after a couple of weeks. They have become enlarge again with out any reason, that I can tell. I just finished a strong antibiotics since nothing else was making them go down. They are still enlarged & now the glands under my jaw/chin are starting to feel sore.I've already had a CT scan to rule tumors etc out and that came back fine. I'm confused what can be causing them to react this way. I did recently find out I had a tiny nodule/lump on the right side of my thyroid that I need to have biopsied and will have that done at the end on May, but if that has anything to do with these swollen nodes, then why are the swollen nodes not on the same side as the nodule...I also just noticed a swollen node on the back of my head. I have over the years would notice when this node would become enlarged. It always feels firm when enlarged and will get to the size of a marble everytime. I just wonder if it's normal for *that* node to feel that way when it's enlarged... Anyone? It's the node just at the base of the skull/back of the neck. I am 26, so not much difference in age either. Good luck to you & keep us posted whenever you fnd out something!---------------------------------------------------------------Im a 21 year old female that has been going through the same thing! Except I have one node on the back of my neck close to the skull and I have had it for over a year now! Before sugery, the node caused me to have pain in the back of my neck that ran to the front of my head to cause severe headaches, which sometimes made me cry and not sleep. My neck would knot up and cause muscle aches as well. FINALLY, I decided to go see the doctor and have surgery to get this node removed. (going into surgery the doctor told me that this surgery may/may not help..so i decided to chance it) *RECOVERING WAS TERRIBLE!!! It took 4 days for me to finally sleep well and get up for a good amount of time without hurting. The surgery occuring on the back of my neck made it impossible for me to get comfortable and I became very aggravated. My surgery was in Sept. 07 and today being DEC.5, 2007, my neck has still not fully recovered and it hurts me often, but not as much as it did before. The scar is still lumpy and it bleeds sometimes. Im not sure what to do about this! Ive thought about going to a different doctor to get a second opinion, but I would to hear them say I need a second surgery. Is there anyone that has been through the samething?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 04:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :( Hi I had an operation in 2004 for the lump on my neck... and the doctor said that its not cancerous! But suddenly now I discovered another lump on the same right side of my neck. What is the best option now..cos i don't think I went for CAT scan or etc.. only went for endoscope to see if there was any other lumps!
    aidah isa 1 Replies
    • January 15, 2008
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this same thing on and off for years. It can get inflammed from stress and from fighting off viruses etc. I has some serious viruses when younger and then mono. It is not a lymph gland really. I went to a chiropractor who did kineseology and he was able to relieve it greatly. Stress is a big trigger for this, it is more like a muscle knot, but it can last a very long time. A regular chiropractor might not be able to really help this, look around for a very good one or perhaps an accupunurist or a DO doctor of osteopathy. I still get mine from time to time. I have had my neck injured in a few sports accidents when I was younger, but nothing an x ray would show so it need not be from a traumatic accident, it may be a weak spot that holds a lot of tension. Mine was Very Painful.Mine felt rather like marbles at the base of head, top of neck two of them slightly off to each side of the spine. Hope this helps.
    abdrew 24 Replies
    • January 30, 2008
    • 04:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this same thing on and off for years. It can get inflammed from stress and from fighting off viruses etc. I has some serious viruses when younger and then mono. It is not a lymph gland really. I went to a chiropractor who did kineseology and he was able to relieve it greatly. Stress is a big trigger for this, it is more like a muscle knot, but it can last a very long time. A regular chiropractor might not be able to really help this, look around for a very good one or perhaps an accupunurist or a DO doctor of osteopathy. I still get mine from time to time. I have had my neck injured in a few sports accidents when I was younger, but nothing an x ray would show so it need not be from a traumatic accident, it may be a weak spot that holds a lot of tension. Mine was Very Painful.Mine felt rather like marbles at the base of head, top of neck two of them slightly off to each side of the spine. Hope this helps.Here is a clear defination and how to resolve it. Im not sure you have it, but here is the info anyway. You sound like you also need to take control of your health. Quit focusing on the negative and start making positive changes with your diet as well as your attitude toward your health. Feel and Viualize a healthy great body! You'll be surprised on just how the mind change will benefit your health. There is a self test for Hypo on here as well. Definition: Hypothyroidism is caused by under active production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland. Symptoms: It is a very common but often overlooked condition with symptoms that include fatigue, weight gain, slowed heart rate, constipation, irritability, sensitivities to cold, mental depression, slowness or slurring of speech, drooping and swollen eyes, swollen face, recurrent infections, increased allergic reactions, headaches, hair loss, brittleness of hair, female problems (such as heavy menstrual flow, painful periods, and premenstrual tension), decreased immune functioning, and calcium metabolism problems. In children, hypothyroidism can also *****d normal growth and development. If undiagnosed and untreated, hypothyroidism can cause or contribute to many other recurring or otherwise non-responsive health problems. Cause: Hypothyroidism can be caused by food allergies, excess stress, environmental toxins, insufficient exercise, B vitamin deficiencies, lack of iron, lack of digestive enzymes, liver disease, hormone imbalances, and/or parasites. All of these factors need to be screened for and addressed before lasting relief can be achieved. Sulfa drugs, lithium, synthetic estrogen, and antihistamines can exacerbate hypothyroidism symptoms. In addition, if you are on thyroid medication, increase calcium supplementation to reduce the risk of bone loss. Low thyroid function may also be due to Hashimoto`s disease, a condition in which the body becomes allergic to its own thyroid gland and forms antibodies that attack it, thus lowering thyroid hormone output. Caution: If you suspect you are suffering from Hashimoto`s disease, consult a physician immediately. lymphatic system
    abdrew 24 Replies
    • January 31, 2008
    • 00:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 21 year old female and in the past few days I have noticed swollen glands on the side of my neck, back of my neck, and behind my ear. They are painless but I have no symptoms other than my neck feels a little stiff here and there. I am very curious and am going to the doc tomorrow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2008
    • 01:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have a marble size knot on the back left side just under the skull almost that is very pain full i've read where most have no pain. is there any one that has had pain. constant pain for over 3 weeks now and over the last 3 weeks it's gone from a small knot about the size of a pea to the size of a marble. it's causeing headaic and my teeth to hurt. does any one have an idea b/c i can't afford to go to the doctor if it's going to turn out to be nothen. if anyone has an idea please e-mail me at myself2406@gmail.com
  • My three year old daughter suddenly developed three lumps - like little marbles at the base of her hairline behind the left ear at the top of her neck. She felt it herself and alarmed me - I feel two other lumpps in her hair on the same side. I comb her hair every day and have never seen these - they seemed to come out of nowhere. I am very nervous and worried these may be cancerous. Any body out theer whose kids have similar problems?
  • My three year old daughter suddenly developed three lumps - like little marbles at the base of her hairline behind the left ear at the top of her neck. She felt it herself and alarmed me - I feel two other lumpps in her hair on the same side. I comb her hair every day and have never seen these - they seemed to come out of nowhere. I am very nervous and worried these may be cancerous. Any body out theer whose kids have similar problems?I was wondering if you had found anything out. My daughter is 2 and she has had one swollen lymph node at the base of her hair line for as long as I can remember. The doctors say not to worry about it. She was born with craniosynostosis, her sagittal suture closed to early and she required surgery for that. The doctors also told me she was fine then but i knew something was wrong. Naturally I am concerned now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2009
    • 05:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My son is 5 years old. Last night we noticed a knot behind his right ear, in his hair line, on the back of his neck and the front of his neck under his jaw, they came from out of no where. I took him to an after hours clinic and the NP told me that his lymph nodes were swollen. Gave him an antibiotic and said if they haven’t went down in a few days that I should take him for blood work. My son also had craniosynostosis at birth. He had surgery 5 days before he was 3 months old. I am now concerned about the nodes. He is in a study for his condition and sees his surgeon on a regular basis; however I have never heard that this may be something to watch out for. Please contact me if you have gotten any answers. bsingley2006@yahoo.com
    bsingley1973 1 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 02:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My 3 year old son has had swollen nodes in his groin for a few years now. He has had swollen nodes in his neck for over a year, they are going away but coming back even bigger each time, now there are some in the back of his neck as well! Docs haven't said much besides it may be a viral infection triggering the swollen nodes in the neck. My son has never had craniosynostosis, but I am very worried about lymphoma and other cancers! Any suggestions? I will be calling docs first thing in the morning, but I'm afraid they'll brush us off as soon as we're seen! Hence the research I'm doing! I'll keep you posted!
  • I'm 32 and I noticed 3 lumps on the back of my head 4 days ago. I went to the hospital and the doctor did a CT scan (after he told me the lumps on my head were my own natural lumps) and everything came back normal. After waiting 4 hours, I was told that I was suffering from anxiety and was given a script for xanex! The next day, another popped out on my neck. This morning I went to see my PCP (who I've only seen once previously) and she gave me about 2 min of her time and told me to go to a general surgeon. No script for blood work or anything. Dont general surgeons just cut things out? Shouldn't they find out what I have before they recommend cutting things out? What type of doctor specializes in lymph nodes? What kind of questions should I be asking? Are there any specific tests that I should be having done? Any info at all would be much appreciated! This girl is scared! I can be emailed at jaalizefields@hotmail.com
  • i have a marble size knot on the back left side just under the skull almost that is very pain full i've read where most have no pain. is there any one that has had pain. constant pain for over 3 weeks now and over the last 3 weeks it's gone from a small knot about the size of a pea to the size of a marble. it's causeing headaic and my teeth to hurt. does any one have an idea b/c i can't afford to go to the doctor if it's going to turn out to be nothen. if anyone has an idea please e-mail me at myself2406@gmail.comI used to get pea-to-marble-sized bumps at the hairline at the back of my head. They would come and go, and sometimes they were painful. At first I thought they were from spider bites, then I wondered if they were pimples. But by the time I got around to getting a doctor's appt., they had usually subsided. That is when I started keeping a log of when they occurred. For me, they always occurred around ovulation time. I finally asked my doctor if I could just pop into the office the next time they appeared, without an appt. When he looked at them he was not concerned, and just told me to continue to be aware of them, and to call if they seemed to be getting worse. I had them off and on for about 10 years, from my mid-20's-late 30's. I am now 58, and every now and then, usually when I am surrounded by younger women like when my daughter is home from college, I will get a bump or two - all those hormones in the air, I suppose. The reason I am responding is because I never really discussed this with my daughter because by the time she was old enough for it to be relevant mine had pretty much disappeared. But she called last night because she "has a few of these strang bumps on her neck at the hairline..."!MY SUGGESTION: Obviously have your doctor check you out, but I suggest tracking when they seem to be inflamed (painful) or seem to swell, and just compare that with your ovulation/menstrual cycle, which can also correspond to increased stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 08:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hii have had swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck and one on the back of my head. I have now had them for over 6months. they are painless and mobile but the one on the back of my head is firm and hard. i went to my doctor about 3 months ago and my bloodwork was fine. I had one that was faily larger then the rest on the left side of my neck but it has slowly gone down in size but now all my nodes seem to be the same size. I do feel more fatigued, i am not looseing weight nor am i getting night sweats...i don't think. The thing is i can't remeber getting an infection when my lymph nodes become evident at first. they seem like they appearded from nowhere. my doctor basically told me to wait and call back if they get larger or dont decrease in size. i am 22 yrs and i have been going through the same thing,i have four swollen painless lymph node,one at the back of my head,about 1cm or less,marble shape,hard,non tender,fix,not movable,one under my jaw painless,not fix,about 1.5cm or less,marble shape,rubbery.one behind my ears,fix,increase and decrease in size,soft sometime,sometimes hard,painless.and one under my ears a little tender when squeeze,marble shape,moveable.i dont know what to do,i am going to visit the doctor about next week,am worried it could be cancer,i have other symptom,heavy head,headache sometime,easily cold,sensitive to heat,skin rash like heat rash,food allergy,stuffy nose,i have go through stress,a major stress,for a year plus i am full of anxiety eversince i was a child,i even have some tall hair growing on my body very weird,and have been through all type of anxiety.anyone have a idea what happening to me
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 09:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 22 and have the same problem. I have been to doctors for it and it is the lymph nodes overworking themselves in response to allergies. Normally a week long antibiotic treatment fixes everything
  • My three year old daughter suddenly developed three lumps - like little marbles at the base of her hairline behind the left ear at the top of her neck. She felt it herself and alarmed me - I feel two other lumpps in her hair on the same side. I comb her hair every day and have never seen these - they seemed to come out of nowhere. I am very nervous and worried these may be cancerous. Any body out theer whose kids have similar problems?Yes, my 2 year old daughter is going through the same thing. She has 2 large lumps on the back of her head and three smaller ones on either side of her neck. They have been there about 2 months, and the smaller one jus appeared few days ago. She tells me daily that they hurt. The doctor says jus moniter them for another month. Today the 2 large bumps are more inflamed. This is so puzzling. If anyone can make sugestions pls let me know. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2010
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HI,My two year old, almost three, has recently developed a couple lymph nodes in the neck area and one at the base of his skull area. The one in the skull area feels like a small marble and is hard to the touch and stationary where the ones in the neck feel more like small peas and move a little, At first he said the one in the skull area hurt but since starting antibiotic for inflammation he says it doesn't hurt anymore. I have made myself sick for days worrying what this could be and we are waiting to return to the dr in a few days for re-evalution.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2010
    • 01:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You may want to inquire about Fibromyalgia with your primary care doctor. Swollen nodes and exhaustion are symptoms.
  • my daughter is 14 and she has swollen lymph nodes in back of head and back of neck for over a year.. I have taken her to doctor about every 6 months to have them looked at... they have not grown they do not hurt...but they do worry me...around christmas she had swollen node on right side neck...after asking for blood test she was diagnosised with mono....node on neck went away but the one on the back of her head and neck is still there she just text me from school she has nodes under her neck swollen .. so i am calling doctor to make another appt. I was just wondering could allegies cause lymph nodes to swell? she doesnt really have any other symptoms......she did have a tick bite when she was about 4 that caused her lymph nodes in back of neck to swell and was given antiobotic then.. does anyone think this is related? thanks
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement